• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s explanation for not cutting PS3 prices is astounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think I support Sony here, I don't support any of the big three pulling shit like this and I don't appreciate that they are using accessories or bundles to keep the price high. 6 years into the PS2 life cycle, it was down to $99 I think and similar for the Gamecube. This gen has just been full of what I consider to be anti-consumer BS.

It's interesting to watch this generation because the prices started out so much higher, even when the companies were taking losses. I think they intended to sweep the market like the PS2 did, but even with Sony's early PS3 mistakes, that didn't happen. This resulted in a lot of conservatism when it came to the price. If Sony can throw in a piece of software they already made a profit on, they'll do it to avoid dropping the price.

It's also notable that nobody really knows where the ceiling is for the HD consoles - the Xbox 360 is doing fantastically, and the PS3 trucking along better than it ever did. Dropping too fast could lose them sales.

I agree that it is largely anti-consumer behavior, but considering the losses Microsoft and Sony incurred from this generation, it's pretty reasonable from their perspective and almost necessary to fund another round.

I am sure there was a marking telling the size of the HDD but no, I am sure they didn't mention it in large font that they removed backwards compatibility.

Don't think I support Sony here, I don't support any of the big three pulling shit like this and I don't appreciate that they are using accessories or bundles to keep the price high. 6 years into the PS2 life cycle, it was down to $99 I think and similar for the Gamecube. This gen has just been full of what I consider to be anti-consumer BS.

It wasn't a large font but it did mention it.

http://i.imgur.com/PGlpi.jpg

"This model of the PS3 system is designed to play Ps3 format software and has limited backwards compatibility. This system is not compatible with and will not play Playstation 2 format software."

Tabris

Their price model should be simple:

PS3 Super Slim 120GB - $199
PS3 Super Slim 500GB Premium - $399 *this model includes PS2 compatibility

I don't mind being raped on price for a premium model that includes all the features I want while ensuring that the price is lower on the budget model so the PS3 remains competitive to get more games.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, I love Sony, but this one has me scratching my head. They come up with a new model that is cheaper for them to make and increase the price in the 6th year of the PS3's cycle. Not to mention it is in the face of a holiday season without any big exclusives and Nintendo launching their next generation console. It's truly enough to make one say...

Tenacious-D-wtf-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-776.gif

So the PS2 sold well at a lower price ONLY because the PS3 was out? LOL ok.

The PS2 could be sold at a lower price because the PS3 was out.

The point is that Sony want to create the perception that the PS3 is comparable to the Wii U. $250 is perfect for them because it undercuts the Wii U, but not by so much that it's seen as the "value console" for people who can't afford the Wii U.

Akkad

Banned
Another shitty pramath topic, did you run out of stupid Wii U topics to make? Basically copied an article and added nothing, what a fucking joke.

Their price model should be simple:

PS3 Super Slim 120GB - $199
PS3 Super Slim 500GB Premium - $399 *this model includes PS2 compatibility

I don't mind being raped on price for a premium model that includes all the features I want while ensuring that the price is lower on the budget model so the PS3 remains competitive to get more games.

You know, at this point the PS3 models don't have that much differentiating them. Unless they actually do put PS2 compatibility back in (unlikely) then I'd say drop the multiple SKU's and just have one box. If the retailer sales and bundles are such a pain in the ass, don't get in their way and make it worse.

The point is that Sony want to create the perception that the PS3 is comparable to the Wii U. $250 is perfect for them because it undercuts the Wii U, but not by so much that it's seen as the "value console" for people who can't afford the Wii U.

This is true, but I don't agree that price is the major factor in deducing whether or not something is high quality in technology. It's more about brand recognition and advertising. This is especially true when a console has been out for six years.

And again, to reiterate, the PS2 dropped to $150 two years before the PS3 was out.

snap0212

High prices create the perception of high quality. Look at cars.
It works for cars because car manufacturers are going after certain customers. Sony's not going for the "I need the new thing"-crowd anymore - these people already have the console. Now they're going after people who were willing to wait, might be interested and just have to be pushed a little bit. Will the new design coupled with a higher price do that? Sony seems to think so.

No the PS2 could be sold for a lower price because they redesigned it and it was cheaper to manufacture. It was $150 long before the PS3 came out. We only expect the same here, they redesign it to make it cheaper to manufacture and they pass some of the savings on to the consumer. Instead they have used accessories to artificially keep the prices high. Without PS+ most people would never need 250 GB of Hard drive space and even with PS+, I get along ok with my 160 GB.

You know, at this point the PS3 models don't have that much differentiating them. Unless they actually do put PS2 compatibility back in (unlikely) then I'd say drop the multiple SKU's and just have one box.

This is true, but I don't agree that price is the major factor in deducing whether or not something is high quality in technology. It's more about brand recognition and advertising.

And again, to reiterate, the PS2 dropped to $150 two years before the PS3 was out.

They won't put PS2 compatibility back in because they would rather sell you PS2 Classics. In my opinion.

TunaLover

It understable that Sony don´t drop the PS3, they are in serious need for profits. The problem is the PR explanation was really dumb.

ironcreed

Banned
Hey man, we're getting Wonderbook and PS All-Stars Battle Royale this coming holiday.

PS All-Stars may do alright, but it is not a biggie for me. Still, a price increase on a model that is cheaper for them to make? While Nintendo is releasing their next console? I just don't see the logic, but wish them luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom