• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony’s explanation for not cutting PS3 prices is astounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... wait... In response to retailers offering great deals because the console manufacturers won't, WHO ON EARTH is saying "Enough with all these weird price moves."

wuuuut

"we've heard loud and clear from our fans and what they want is higher prices!!!!"

I really don't see how this is so weird decision from Sony to some here. Sony has calculated that with current price they will make more profit from sales than with reduced price and higher amount of consoles sold. In so late in the gen it doesn't matter shit that do you sell more than competition and do you gain marketshare. It's all about maximizing profits. With new platform aggressive pricing makes more sense.

Sony's response to this.

kevin-butler-muhaha-o.gif

Guys,

I'm posting from the supermarket. I'm trying to buy some milk, but the price has gone down from last week. Its cheaper.

This is too weird. I'm fucking frightened.

I just wish the milk company would stop it with these weird price moves.

kitch9

Banned
Can some of you retail geniuses explain why Sony should announce a price drop this far away from the holidays?

Can some of you retail geniuses explain why Sony should announce a price drop this far away from the holidays?

They're going to launch a new system now, then price cut it after a month or so?

I don't think you understand, Sony are the soliders fighting AGAINST that kind of thing.

They should just say that the hardware is effectively priced for the quality of the product. Just be honest and say that they think that what they are selling is worth the asking price. That's reasonable.

"Weird price moves" infers that your customers are fucking morons that don't understand the concept of things being cheaper than other things. Its PR bullshit to the point of insulting their customer base.

That's the problem.

Phreak47

Haha... I love how apparently a price cut amounts to a "weird price move".

Oh god no, please don't lower the price! I'll become frightened and confused!

It appears as though they think a price cut right now would do little to stem the tide of enthusiasm for the WiiU, and thus they chose to ride out this holiday season without it. Frankly it is astounding, but provided MS don't drop the price either, it doesn't mean much either way.

That said, topic has been discussed.

Nintendo didn't drop the price when they introduced the new Wii without Gamecube support.

It appears as though they think a price cut right now would do little to stem the tide of enthusiasm for the WiiU, and thus they chose to ride out this holiday season without it. Frankly it is astounding, but provided MS don't drop the price either, it doesn't mean much either way.

I think Sony's just waiting to see how the market responds to the WiiU. They might be able to position themselves as the cheaper alternative that gets even more third party games if they play their cards right. It depends on how important the WiiU Pad turns out to be to the sales of the device, or if people are just buying based on "Nintendo HD oh boy." The latter gives Sony more leverage in marketing. Then they can cling to the WiiU's price a bit more and still be able to look like the cheaper cousin.

Unfortunately their marketing hasn't been great in the US for a few years so this assumes there's somebody in that department that knows what they're doing.

Nintendo didn't drop the price when they introduced the new Wii without Gamecube support.

I don't think Nintendo wanted anyone to know that they changed anything. Highlighting the system with a price drop would have given them a bit of bad press. Sony, on the other hand, isn't dropping any features in their new revision (aside from arguably some design sense).

I imagine they are in a place with that price and that model where they are making around $80 per unit sold. Dropping it $50 would then bring it around $30. They would rather sell less machines than normal but make more money doing so.

They know it is end days and software tie ratios are going to drop.

TheMan

you guys do realize that it doesn't matter what this PR person says because 99% of customers won't know he said it and wouldn't give a fuck anyway?

they wouldn't announce a price drop right now anyway because we're too far out from christmas. Wait till late november/december and we'll see the price lowered, at least on old models.

you guys do realize that it doesn't matter what this PR person says because 99% of customers won't know he said it and wouldn't give a fuck anyway?

they wouldn't announce a price drop right now anyway because we're too far out from christmas. Wait till late november/december and we'll see the price lowered, at least on old models.

What are you guys even talking about. Sony has dropped the price at Gamescom this gen which is even further away from the holidays. You don't typically wait until the holidays to drop the price. You drop and then let things build up for a holiday. Has no one been paying attention this gen?

The difference being that ps3 sells well and vita is on life support

I think it's misleading to say the Vita is on life support. Life support requires electricity. Sony doesn't appear to have the money to cover that bill.

Maybe because they're a 24/7/365 business.

I look forward to bringing this post up during the holidays.

Izick

ibh272MjKafpqL.gif

Nobody in the history of the universe has said that, except people who work at Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft. Damn.

With that said, for anybody still on the fence, I suggest picking up a PS3, because I only had a 360 up until last Summer, and the PS3 was worth it for the exclusives and BR drive alone.

ibh272MjKafpqL.gif

Nobody in the history of the universe has said that, except people who work at Sony, Nintendo, or Microsoft. Damn.

With that said, for anybody still on the fence, I suggest picking up a PS3, because I only had a 360 up until last Summer, and the PS3 was worth it for the exclusives and BR drive alone.

Nintendo and MS have said this before?

Izick

Nintendo and MS have said this before?

I'm just saying nobody would ever say that except MAYBE the people that are behind these things.

EDIT: If he had just said, "Yo, we think the price is good where it is now, and we see no reason to cut it right now." then I'd be fine with that.

I think Sony's just waiting to see how the market responds to the WiiU. They might be able to position themselves as the cheaper alternative that gets even more third party games if they play their cards right. It depends on how important the WiiU Pad turns out to be to the sales of the device, or if people are just buying based on "Nintendo HD oh boy." The latter gives Sony more leverage in marketing. Then they can cling to the WiiU's price a bit more and still be able to look like the cheaper cousin.

Unfortunately their marketing hasn't been great in the US for a few years so this assumes there's somebody in that department that knows what they're doing.

I don't think Nintendo wanted anyone to know that they changed anything. Highlighting the system with a price drop would have given them a bit of bad press. Sony, on the other hand, isn't dropping any features in their new revision (aside from arguably some design sense).

I too thought Nintendo was trying to deceive people, was there any mention on the box that it lacked Gamecube support?

I'm just saying nobody would ever say that except MAYBE the people that are behind these things.

EDIT: If he had just said, "Yo, we think the price is good where it is now, and we see no reason to cut it right now." then I'd be fine with that.

Ah... honestly I've seen Reggie and Mattrick say some pretty stupid things, but Sony's PR takes it to a whole new level. They honestly just need to tied them up in a basement somewhere and stop them from talking. And while no this doesn't get all to most of the mass audience and only a few people will read this it's still important to have good PR

I too thought Nintendo was trying to deceive people, was there any mention on the box that it lacked Gamecube support?

I'm pretty sure there's something to the effect of "does not support Gamecube software or accessories and some other Wii accessories too" but it's certainly not a big and bold affair. They also changed a few details so that it looks better when it lies flat, maybe because they're doing that with the WiiU. Brand building such and such.

What are you guys even talking about. Sony has dropped the price at Gamescom this gen which is even further away from the holidays. You don't typically wait until the holidays to drop the price. You drop and then let things build up for a holiday. Has no one been paying attention this gen?

This holiday is a new console launch. The pressure is on.

Did Sony make a big banner on the PS3 box when they removed BC? Or even made a big differentiation between the 20gb and 60gb launch units?

No. It's still a shitty thing to do either way.

Did Sony make a big banner on the PS3 box when they removed BC? Or even made a big differentiation between the 20gb and 60gb launch units?

60GB had a PS2 logo, 20GB did not. Also if you don't get informed or even read the box before buying something you deserve whatever surprises you get.

Dipswitch

What consumers want is these electronics companies to a) Stop treating them like idiots b) Drop the friggin' price of these products, permanently.

No one is holding off buying this gens consoles because they're looking for more "value". Extra HD space or older packaged games aren't gonna get people off the fence at this stage in the game.

I am sure there was a marking telling the size of the HDD but no, I am sure they didn't mention it in large font that they removed backwards compatibility.

Don't think I support Sony here, I don't support any of the big three pulling shit like this and I don't appreciate that they are using accessories or bundles to keep the price high. 6 years into the PS2 life cycle, it was down to $99 I think and similar for the Gamecube. This gen has just been full of what I consider to be anti-consumer BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom