• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY ANNOUNCED NEW PSP!!! (more changes than you thought)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccbfan

cvxfreak said:
Still undecided on whether to get one or not. It's always nice to have the latest revision of a handheld. I always revise iPods and handhelds. But the PSP's changes are underwhelming compared to a new iPod generation or the DS Lite. But Silent Hill 0rigins is coming... decisions, decisions.

I'll be in Japan when it pops up, but their $30 price advantage is gone pre-NA price drop.

WTF DSL?

I guess the only thing that matters to most of you here are the looks of the system not functionality anymore.

The DSL probably had the least improvement of any handheld upgrade in terms of functionality. In terms of gameplay the system actually got down graded. The buttons are too close together, the l R triggers harder to hit and the d-pad got worse. PLus the system is very uncomfortable after playing for a long period of time. The only thing DS lite improved on other than aesthetics is a brighter screen (Which i keep on the same level as the DS to save battery power but the ability to do it is useful).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marconelly said:
There are games, like GoW, where people around me like to watch while I play and suggest their ideas with puzzles etc. I was actually a bit sad that I'd have to play GoW:CoO all alone, but I guess I don't have to anymore :)
Silent Hill Origins is another one that springs to mind.

The bright PSP LCD is not a good fit for such a game.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mario said:
We did release a game which had copy protection which was never compromised. Tracking one popular hacker thread in which people were asking for a cracked ISO and attempting to circumvent the protection over several months, about 10% of the people participating explicitly said they were "forced to buy it" once no crack emerged. I imagine more people asking for the ISO might have bought it than explicitly said in the thread.

Not saying thats what the conversion ratio would be, but its a more tangible example. The easier it is to pirate on a platform, the lower I imagine the conversion rate would be because the average pirate would have a larger selection of free games available to them and the value they place on legitimate software would be lower.
I think that's a fair statement to make but I also believe there's good money being left on the table by not expanding their offerings to legitimate customers in the meantime. And those customers are not going to wait forever, nor should they have to. In looking for alternatives, where else are they going to go other than to the homebrew scene if no legitimate alternative is offered? It can be very seductive to then dip into piracy on the basis of the fact that the legitimate methods are behind the times and far less convenient. They could be converting just as many people towards piracy right now because of the absence of a convenient downloadable games strategy as strong security measures might convert away from it.

Gearharden said:
I don't understand why people keep saying adding a second analog nub would've gimped other games. Do you people have head injuries? The PS1 added a controller with TWO sticks to the previous setup and played games released before it no problem. The games that used one stick would retain their previous setup while newer games would take advantage of the second stick.
And even on PS1, few games took true advantage of one analog stick, let alone both. Since they had to keep games compatible for the original controller (as would be the case for any new control added to PSP), the sticks mostly ended up as alternate ways to do what was already doable with other buttons. Little real gain until it became the standard from the start with PS2.
ccbfan said:
The only thing DS lite improved on other than aesthetics is a brighter screen (Which i keep on the same level as the DS to save battery power but the ability to do it is useful).
I agree with what you say overall about the DS Lite, but even at the same brightness level of the original DS the Lite looks sharper.

Shawn

Banned
Um...

Maybe I'm not understanding something, but...

Why the f*** would you want to output PSP software to a television.

Why would anyone want PSP games/movies blown up and/or scaled to a TV's resolution?

It makes absolutely no sense to me. Do I really need to mention that no TV in existence can make PSP software look better on a TV than on a PSP?

Come on now.

Everything about the picture quality of UMD software was designed to be displayed on a PSP, not on a TV. You know what I'm saying?

I mean, I can understand it if you don't give a crap about picture/image quality...

Shawn said:
Um...

Why would anyone want PSP games/movies blown up and/or scaled to a TV's resolution?

It makes absolutely no sense to me. Do I really need to mention that no TV in existence can make PSP software look better on a TV than on a PSP?

Come on now.

Everything about the picture quality of UMD software was designed to be displayed on a PSP, not on a TV. You know what I'm saying?

I mean, I can understand it if you don't give a crap about picture/iimage quality...

Because PSP owners asked for it?

Shawn

Banned
Because PSP owners asked for it?
Okay. But it still makes me cringe at the thought of outputting UMD software to a TV. Yuck!

Edit:
UMD software picture quality is "perfect" on a PSP. On a TV it will always be less than perfect.

Understand?

cvxfreak

ccbfan said:
WTF DSL?

I guess the only thing that matters to most of you here are the looks of the system not functionality anymore.

The DSL probably had the least improvement of any handheld upgrade in terms of functionality. In terms of gameplay the system actually got down graded. The buttons are too close together, the l R triggers harder to hit and the d-pad got worse. PLus the system is very uncomfortable after playing for a long period of time. The only thing DS lite improved on other than aesthetics is a brighter screen (Which i keep on the same level as the DS to save battery power but the ability to do it is useful).

The brighter screen counts for a lot, while the buttons are just your opinion I think they're better since they're not flat. It also helps to be lighter weight and to have the microphone in a better location.

BTW, I thought the PSP output was just for video content only? That's what they made it sound like...

Shawn said:
Um...

Come on now.

I mean, I can understand it if you don't give a crap about picture/image quality...

I wanted it for a while now because when im at home, I would like to play my games PSP games on the big screen. Same reason why I bought the GBplayer for the Gamecube when it came out.

chemicals

man, I really want to like the PSP. I'll need to get my hands on this new model before I decide whether or not to buy one.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Shawn said:
UMD movies are different from PSP games. While games are obviously rendered to the actual resolution of the PSP display, UMD movies are apparently encoded at 480p, same resolution as DVDs. Also, a recent firmware update unlocked the ability to run 480p vids from MS Duo as well. For movies alone, it's a potentially useful feature.

spwolf

kaching said:
UMD movies are different from PSP games. While games are obviously rendered to the actual resolution of the PSP display, UMD movies are apparently encoded at 480p, same resolution as DVDs. Also, a recent firmware update unlocked the ability to run 480p vids from MS Duo as well. For movies alone, it's a potentially useful feature.

"potential" my arse. It will be basically portable "progressive-scan" movie player. I could buy it just for that functionallity alone.

Personally I could care less about PSP gaming on TV, but streaming movies from my PC to any computer where my PSP is in is awe inspiring. I would never think of it before, but now it is here, it is amazing :). I want, want, want.

This is exactly what UMD needed to push the movie sales as well...

Very simple but very effective.

Shawn said:
Okay. But it still makes me cringe at the thought of outputting UMD software to a TV. Yuck!

Edit:
UMD software picture quality is "perfect" on a PSP. On a TV it will always be less than perfect.

Understand?

I don't understand this? I mean, the UMD has the same resolution as a DVD. What does this make less than perfect?

Matix

Pretty sure its been said earlier, but I'm praying that upgrade to 64MB of RAM really improves the PSP web-browsing experience. Also has there been any recent E3-news regarding the PS-Store being directly accessible from the PSP?!

Schrade

For everyone wondering if the TV out is component only - it's not. There's 3 separate cables. Composite, Component and S-Video. You can see them listed as accessories in the press release specifications doc.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
DarienA said:
I suppose you'd have to be one of those PSP owners who has trouble with the analog numb (in the types of games you play) to be concerned about this.

I've long heard about this analog nub problem and the ghosting issue, but I've never had either issue myself. It's probably my old eyes and old man reaction times causing me to not notice these problems.

You'd have to be blind (in certain games) to not see the ghosting. Thankfully it doesn't affect neogeo, cps1/2 etc since that's all I use it for.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
DaCocoBrova said:
You'd have to be blind (in certain games) to not see the ghosting. Thankfully it doesn't affect neogeo, cps1/2 etc since that's all I use it for.

Well I do wear contacts...

sammy

I'm sure this has been asked ... but i'm lazy ---------------- is there still ghosting? That's all i care about when i think of replacing mine.

Raistlin

soundwave05 said:
Yeah, I think the enthusiasm for this feature will probably fade real quick once people see what these games look like blown up on a larger TV screen at resolutions they weren't designed for.

Using it to sling video and pics from your home PC/PS3 to a TV however ... that won't get old.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Has it been mentioned before that the new PSP battery is of much smaller capacity?

It's 1200mHa now, whereas it used to be 1800 before (or 2200 if you bought a larger capacity one)

Given that they've said the new model has longer battery life, it has got to mean there will be new screen included in this new model - perhaps a LED lit screen?

Raistlin

Fusebox said:
Yeah I didn't know that either until Fafalada mentioned it - now all I need is confirmation that it works on non-prog scan TVs and that they'll release a composite cable as well and I'm excited. If we're just meant to use it over component on our flat-screens I'll be dark.

From the official description, it appears video and pics will work with interlaced output (composite/s-video). Progressive scan appears to be mandatory for games though.

Jefklak

sammy said:
I'm sure this has been asked ... but i'm lazy ---------------- is there still ghosting? That's all i care about when i think of replacing mine.

no new screen, same panel, same problems.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
spwolf said:
"potential" my arse. It will be basically portable "progressive-scan" movie player. I could buy it just for that functionallity alone.
Well, one thing that makes it less than ideal is, ironically, the lack of an IR port in the new model. Just when they finally came up with a use for it, they take it out. As it stands, you're going to either need to have a long-ass AV cable or you're going to need to stand next to your tv, if you want to control the content streaming from the PSP in any way.

Maybe if they had added Bluetooth capability and made it compatible with the PS3 remote...

Raistlin

Shawn said:

What you're saying is wrong.

UMD was originally envisioned as a replacement for DVD on portable devices. Sony also originally intended it to work on TVs as well.

The movies are natively 720 x 480.

The picture quality is pretty much DVD.

Pimpwerx

Doesn't the USB2.0 port have enough bandwidth to allow video-out? It's honestly the only reason I'd really want to upgrade. Better battery life is nice, but not if the batteries are incompatible with the old model. But as noted, once I have a PS3 with remote play, I'll want to use the PSP as a mobile media player. I don't use any media functions right now, just games, b/c I use the full stick between games and saves. With video out, it's tempting. However, it won't be able to play old games at 333MHz. Load times are faster, but my current baby does more for me right now.

On a side note, I have a crack near the R button that is creeping its way down the screen. I assume this is just the outer casing, and no actual damage has been done to the screen. What can I do for a repair? I'm not sure it's under warranty, or if this sort of damage would be covered anyway. PEACE.

el Diablo said:
Kind of disappointed since i was really expecting a model w/ at least a couple GB of flash memory.
Why were people hoping for relatively small quantities of internal flash memory like this? It has a memory stick slot, after all. I can see wanting large amounts of internal memory, more than you can get from a memory stick, though that'd likely come with the downsides that a hard drive brings (unless they could cram, say 20 gigs or more of a cheaper-than-MSDuo larger format flash in there).
Jefklak said:
no new screen, same panel, same problems.
Do we know this for sure? Major missed opportunity, if so.

Schrade

TerryLee81 said:
Wait, did I miss something? How do you know?
I'd say he's guessing since they didn't mention anything about it. Of course if the battery life has gotten so much better that they only use a 1200 mAh battery, you have to assume the screen is a new one and not the same old one.

Are there any media people at E3 or whatever who can confirm the ghosting is fixed? It's starting to kind of drive me nuts. We should know by now.

tanod

when is my burrito
M3wThr33 said:
2) PC (DNLA)-> PS3 (Remote Play)-> PSP (Video Out)-> TV. Your video. Anywhere. Your PSP is tantamount to bringing your entire video collection to a friend's house.

It should also be mentioned that you've been able to do these things on the regular PSP since June.

spwolf

Aristotlekh said:
Are there any media people at E3 or whatever who can confirm the ghosting is fixed? It's starting to kind of drive me nuts. We should know by now.

no, kotaku had it in their hands and said d-pad is perfect now though

tanod

when is my burrito
spwolf said:
kotaku had it in their hands and said d-pad is perfect now though
They didn't say anything about ghosting though, I thought. Maybe you should take the "no" out of your post?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Aristotlekh said:
TTP said he was going to try, a couple of pages earlier in this thread.

Marconelly said:
Ohh, charging through USB? Nice!!
You can already charge the current model in a similar fashion, with a USB to PSP power connector cable.

maynerd

Banned
So this video out to the TV is this a sofware thing or a hardware thing? I have a PSP now...will I be able to output to a TV?

Schrade

maynerd said:
So this video out to the TV is this a sofware thing or a hardware thing? I have a PSP now...will I be able to output to a TV?
The TV out is a hardware thing on the new PSP-2000 models.

No, you won't be able to output to a TV with a PSP-1000 model. (Unless you use RemoteJoySDL on a computer and that computer is outputting to a TV.. but even then, RemoteJoySDL doesn't work with many games and is very buggy with video playback)

spwolf

tanod said:
They didn't say anything about ghosting though, I thought. Maybe you should take the "no" out of your post?

um

q: "Are there any media people at E3 or whatever who can confirm the ghosting is fixed?"
a: "no...."

your point was?

Fusebox

Banned
Onix said:
From the official description, it appears video and pics will work with interlaced output (composite/s-video). Progressive scan appears to be mandatory for games though.

Well that'd suit me just fine then, fingers crossed you're right coz the only reason I'd use the TV out is watching por... uh, I mean, UMD movies in hotel rooms via composite.

maynerd

Banned
Schrade said:
The TV out is a hardware thing on the new PSP-2000 models.

No, you won't be able to output to a TV with a PSP-1000 model. (Unless you use RemoteJoySDL on a computer and that computer is outputting to a TV.. but even then, RemoteJoySDL doesn't work with many games and is very buggy with video playback)

Oh man that's brutal. DAMN IT SONY!

Cheerilee

Shawn said:
Um...

Come on now.

This is your PSP game.
e3-2007-castlevania-dracula-x-chron.jpg

Imagine it small, and in your lap, sometimes a little hard to see everything, kinda shaky, and with a little bit of motion blur on everything.

Now this is PSP on your progressive scan TV.
e3-2007.jpg

It may look kind of small, but assuming your TV is bigger than 4 inches, it should be bigger and better and smoother and clearer than even some sort of superior redesigned PSP screen, while losing none of it's detail.

Of course, if you want to zoom it up to full size with letterboxing, or full size on a widescreen, or HDTV, or maybe even just try and use it on a non-pro-scan TV (if that's even possible) then there will be some drawbacks, but at it's most basic level this is better than the PSP screen (not to mention the audio benefits).

Mrbob

If you already have a PSP you may not care about this.

For someone like me who doesn't have one the Daxter PSP entertainment pack looks like a great deal.

$199.99 for slim psp, daxter, family guy, and 1gb stick sign me up!

The video out option is cool too.

NomarTyme

The difference is really slight, but several GameSpot editors have noticed that the d-pad and buttons on the new PSP provide a little more tactile feedback for a better overall feel.

The component cable we saw also had audio connectors to offer complete AV connectivity. The actual composite, s-video, component, and D-Terminal (Japan) cables will be sold separately, price TBD. The PSP we tested was able to play back a Spider-Man 2 movie clip at 640x480. The video on the big screen looked sharp with minimal loss.

To bad they didn't talk if there about better psp screen.

more to read here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom