• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony announces 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles sold WW

BigDug13

I just don't get why Microsoft went back to the old price with the numbers looking like this. The only thing that makes sense in my head is that since Q1 is usually slow, then it doesn't matter if they don't sell that much, especially after winning Nov NPD (and likely winning Dec too), but if they really wanted to close the gap they would have stayed at US330.

Perhaps they're saving the re-drop for Holidays 2015 when Halo 5 comes out? That strategy certainly worked last time. In any case we'll have to wait until Feb NPD comes out to see if PS4 continues to build that gap or if there's any truth to the "Microsoft Momentum" theory.

Doubt it. And based on this WW sales announcement, NPD numbers alone clearly aren't telling the true sales story anyway. PS4 is selling like fire outside of NPD covered countries. And that other thread already indicates that Sony won overall through December in UK even though they lost during specific, cherry-picked moments when Microsoft declared victory.

Welfare

I just don't get why Microsoft went back to the old price with the numbers looking like this. The only thing that makes sense in my head is that since Q1 is usually slow, then it doesn't matter if they don't sell that much, especially after winning Nov NPD (and likely winning Dec too), but if they really wanted to close the gap they would have stayed at US330.

Perhaps they're saving the re-drop for Holidays 2015 when Halo 5 comes out? That strategy certainly worked last time. In any case we'll have to wait until Feb NPD comes out to see if PS4 continues to build that gap or if there's any truth to the "Microsoft Momentum" theory.

They need the extra money for a $299 Halo 5 bundle.

Grinchy

Banned
Its for the shareholders, nobody else.

That was an assumption I made earlier but it's surprising that it would be a valid tactic against shareholders if even random people from an internet message board can see through it. The retail stuffing concept is really interesting to me.

goonergaz

What's the point?

to make this seem better than they are

07-minister.jpg

Ricky_R

If they don't have enough money to maintain the $50 price-drop right now, even with no games, how can they have enough for a Halo 5 bundle with a $100 price-cut that they won't be able to bring back up?

Providing that money is the issue.

If they don't have enough money to maintain the $50 price-drop right now, even with no games, how can they have enough for a Halo 5 bundle with a $100 price-cut that they won't be able to bring back up?

Providing that money is the issue.

Warchest. Never doubt it. /s

goonergaz

It's not as bad as PS3 vs 360 but the ESRAM and memory architecture on One vs unified faster memory on PS4 definately made itore challenging early on particularly as the SDK and controls for ESRAM were allegedly not great. Only latest SDK has really improved ability to leverage ESRAM I believe.

this is compounded by the fact last gen the more complicated hardware was also technically stronger whereas this gen the weaker hardware is also more complicated

BriGuy

I was always intending to pick up an Xbone sooner or later, but now I'm not so sure. I know this is way early, but what are the odds of the next Xbox being backwards compatible with the Xbone? ESRAM aside, its architecture is pretty close to a PC and I can't imagine them going with something PS3-caliber exotic for their next system.

It's just that at this point, I can't shake the feeling that the Xbone is going to be a repeat of the original Xbox, early exit and all. I'd rather wait another year than sink a couple hundred dollars on a box that won't be in my entertainment center long enough to gather dust.

goonergaz

I was always intending to pick up an Xbone sooner or later, but now I'm not so sure. I know this is way early, but what are the odds of the next Xbox being backwards compatible with the Xbone? ESRAM aside, its architecture is pretty close to a PC and I can't imagine them going with something PS3-caliber exotic for their next system.

It's just that at this point, I can't shake the feeling that the Xbone is going to be a repeat of the original Xbox, early exit and all. I'd rather wait another year than sink a couple hundred dollars on a box that won't be in my entertainment center long enough to gather dust.

I don't think this gen will be very long for either, if you consider last gen the PS3 released, was sold at a loss and was substantially more powerful than PCs this time we have (comparitivly) less capable machines already selling at break evenish.

It's like they chopped the first 2 years off the gen, I expect this one to be ~5 years.

Only Amiga, only Amigaaaa makes it possible!! Lol I love that song, so catchy and so true!

Where's Shadow of the Beast though?

During a PSX panel this was said

During the panel, Matt also showed off some brand new concept art from the game which you can check out below. Shadow of the Beast has no release date at the moment but let us hope that it releases sometime next year. .

Ramza

Banned

I was planning on getting one eventually, mainly for Sunset Overdrive, but now I think I'll just wait to see if it goes PC. Looks like it's gonna be a PC - Wii U - PS4 generation for me.

jelly

I don't think this gen will be very long for either, if you consider last gen the PS3 released, was sold at a loss and was substantially more powerful than PCs this time we have (comparitivly) less capable machines already selling at break evenish.

It's like they chopped the first 2 years off the gen, I expect this one to be ~5 years.

Yeah, I'm expecting quite a quick one but followed by full backwards compatibility. If CPUs don't have the legs and VR might go somewhere, 5 years sounds about right.

Probably because they don't want to lose profits.
But then that means they were already losing profits when they dropped the price in the first place, so it raises the question: why did they do it *if* they were going to lose profits? Did they do it *only* to "win" the holidays on NPD? They they do it just to close the gap a little bit? They they do it to regain a bit of marketshare? (i.e. was it just a temporary, short-term strategy? What's the goal behind that?)
I think it's a strong indication that they've been taking a bit hit with these deals and can't afford to stay permanently at that price.
Oh, definitely, I agree. They wouldn't have gone back to the old price just because "the holiday season is over". Sony built that PS4 gap over the course of 10 months, not just in the holidays (didn't Microsoft also win last year's November or December NPD?), so trying to win only two NPDs out of ten (while also losing the rest of the world) amounts to nothing more than empty bragging rights.
:p That would actually be pretty awesome to see.
Yeah, I'm expecting quite a quick one but followed by full backwards compatibility. If CPUs don't have the legs and VR might go somewhere, 5 years sounds about right.
I'm hoping PS5 is a much more powerful PS4, not only to make BC possible but also so that they can keep building on top of the current OS instead of having to start a new OS from scratch (and having to wait months or years for last-gen features to make it into the OS).

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
At the risk of sounding daft, I think PlayStation is the spiritual home for millions of Commodore Amiga users. The Amiga was discontinued several months after PlayStation was introduced, and the writing was on the wall some time before that. Developers like Gremlin Graphics (Loaded) Ocean Software (Tunnel B1) Core Design (Tomb Raider) Psygnosis (Destruction Derby) made the migration feel natural.

I've not thought too deeply about this correlation before.

I can't speak for anybody else, but for me this was the case. Made the jump to Playstation from the Amiga. It just felt the right thing to do back then, have been a primary Playstation gamer ever since. Most of the Amiga fans here on this board seem to have done the same thing. A couple of years back there was this huge Amiga fanboy turned PS fanboy (Mike B?) who got permed. Dude knew his Amiga for sure, but god did he have a grudge against MS. He kinda summed the general attitude of the Amiga users in the current situation, albeit a bit extreme. But then again who knows, there might be hardcore Amiga users who are totally into Xbox.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Why because they arent "winning"? The X1 isnt selling poorly. Its just not doing PS4 numbers which is selling well beyond anyones expectations. Dont let that fact spoil potential enjoyment to be had. Its a great console despite being the "loser" this gen.

AlfeG

It has more CPU power because the CPU runs at a higher clock speed and aside from that they are both the same.

What you mean is regarding API overhead, this has been improved on Xbox One. Is it enough to make the amount of usable CPU power equal or greater than the PS4? I do not know. A few months ago when the Metro devs were talking about it the answer was no but that could have changed by now.

What I mean, is that we have zero evidence that XBoxOne cpu is better than PS4 cpu, or that PS4 CPU better than XBone CPU. We have just some info, that nowadays one CPU is better then previously. There is no direct benchmarks for now.

It's different story for GPUs.

semiconscious

Gold Member
It's just that at this point, I can't shake the feeling that the Xbone is going to be a repeat of the original Xbox, early exit and all. I'd rather wait another year than sink a couple hundred dollars on a box that won't be in my entertainment center long enough to gather dust...

see this:

XBone simply isn't all that relevant in the grand scheme of things; their sales have pretty much tanked. Right now, it's about maintaining the appearance of relevance among those who believe US=World. I don't personally believe they can survive on half the US market with virtually nothing else, but for now they're focused on those who believe they can, and there are still a surprising number of people who fall in to that category, especially if they happen to speak English. Why, I don't know; I've tried explaining it. :p ...

i think ms has their work cut out for them between now & e3. the next few months will be decisive. they must either accept the fact that they're offering an also-ran product that'll retain a certain percentage of marketshare, & simply be satisfied going with that, or they will choose to (once again) make some major 'adjustments' (up to & including just about anything you might imagine)...

so, yeah - if possible, i'd say wait'n'see (at least till e3)...

NickFire

But then that means they were already losing profits when they dropped the price in the first place, so it raises the question: why did they do it *if* they were going to lose profits? Did they do it *only* to "win" the holidays on NPD? They they do it just to close the gap a little bit? They they do it to regain a bit of marketshare? (i.e. was it just a temporary, short-term strategy? What's the goal behind that?)

I think its safe to assume they did it out of desperation, both to clear stock and to prevent a slaughter in every market, which could have left the public looking at it much the same as Zune or Dreamcast.

DieH@rd

Banned
What are the tech specs of each system's GPU?

PS4: 1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs)
PS4: 1152 Shaders
PS4: 72 Texture units
PS4: 32 ROPS
PS4: 8 ACE/64 queues which will enable fine-grain async compute, taking advantage from the empty spaces in the GPU workload
8gb GDDR5 @ 176gb/s

Xbone: 1.31 TF GPU (12 CUs)
Xbone: 768 Shaders
Xbone: 48 Texture units
Xbone: 16 ROPS
Xbone: 2 ACE/ 16 queues
8gb DDR3 @ 69gb/s+ 32MB ESRAM @109gb/s

Ricky_R

I imagine that they analyzed what would be worse, not losing money and take an even greater hit these holidays, or bleed some money and try to increase mind/market share to see if it was enough to get the system in as many homes as possible, even with the price back up. I think it's a difficult, but clear decision. If MS didn't do what it did these holidays they would've had to wait another year for a temporary discount to be meaningful, and the gap would be much wider.

I think they did the right thing.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
PS4: 1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs)
PS4: 1152 Shaders
PS4: 72 Texture units
PS4: 32 ROPS
PS4: 8 ACE/64 queues which will enable fine-grain async compute, taking advantage from the empty spaces in the GPU workload
8gb GDDR5 @ 176gb/s

Xbone: 1.31 TF GPU (12 CUs)
Xbone: 768 Shaders
Xbone: 48 Texture units
Xbone: 16 ROPS
Xbone: 2 ACE/ 16 queues
8gb DDR3 @ 69gb/s+ 32MB ESRAM @109gb/s

Those are theoretical numbers! With the power of the cloud you can multiply those X1 numbers by 10.

:p

I think its safe to assume they did it out of desperation, both to clear stock and to prevent a slaughter in every market, which could have left the public looking at it much the same as Zune or Dreamcast.

I imagine that they analyzed what would be worse, not losing money and take an even greater hit these holidays, or bleed some money and try to increase mind/market share to see if it was enough to get the system in as many homes as possible, even with the price back up. I think it's a difficult, but clear decision. If MS didn't do what it did these holidays they would've had to wait another year for a temporary discount to be meaningful, and the gap would be much wider.

I think they did the right thing.
Oh, this makes sense, I can see it.

ps3ud0

If those retailer insights are across the board and that in December there was a slowdown in sales perhaps MS were forced to raise the price back up to hide that even with a price cut sales werent competitive enough. It would be pretty embarrassing if sales return to the same level pre-price cut with the price cut enforced, better to reraise the price than allow that to damage the product even more...

Just not enough info out yet to work out any ulterior motive beyond MS saying it was always a temporary price cut - I dont think sales in December were that bad to allow the above scenario to happen anyway. Perhaps they realised they need to go back to the drawing board regards how to stimulate sales...

ps3ud0 8)

Just because Sony is going great doesn't mean MS is doing bad. Sony's PS3 has been outselling the Xbox 360 since it launched, on a yearly basis. That's while the PS3 was more expensive than the 360. Now, the PS4 is available in more markets, is cheaper and has more exposure. All things considered, it's pretty normal it sold so much worldwide.

Oh, definitely, I agree. They wouldn't have gone back to the old price just because "the holiday season is over". Sony built that PS4 gap over the course of 10 months, not just in the holidays (didn't Microsoft also win last year's November or December NPD?), so trying to win only two NPDs out of ten (while also losing the rest of the world) amounts to nothing more than empty bragging rights.

:p That would actually be pretty awesome to see.

I'm hoping PS5 is a much more powerful PS4, not only to make BC possible but also so that they can keep building on top of the current OS instead of having to start a new OS from scratch (and having to wait months or years for last-gen features to make it into the OS).

I think they might have done the holiday sales to see how screwed they were. If the XBO, cut in price and bundled with a few games can't beat the PS4 without anywhere near that level of price cutting for just a month, it's beyond over. It also helped catch up a bit in the US.

Doesn't explain why they'd raise the price back to normal though, since that kind of kills the momentum they've built up.

Just because Sony is going great doesn't mean MS is doing bad. Sony's PS3 has been outselling the Xbox 360 since it launched, on a yearly basis. That's while the PS3 was more expensive than the 360. Now, the PS4 is available in more markets, is cheaper and has more exposure. All things considered, it's pretty normal it sold so much worldwide.

Huh?

If those retailer insights are across the board and that in December there was a slowdown in sales perhaps MS were forced to raise the price back up to hide that even with a price cut sales werent competitive enough. It would be pretty embarrassing if sales return to the same level pre-price cut with the price cut enforced, better to reraise the price than allow that to damage the product even more...

They already said they would be raising the price back up after the holidays when the sale began.

That's the part that had you confused?

heh, I was thinking that myself. The entire post had my marbles rolling just trying to make sense of it.

goonergaz

Just because Sony is going great doesn't mean MS is doing bad.

The only true measure is against your competition and as such regardless of anything else the majority of markets are being sold to and PS4 2:1 - = XBO is a boxer who is punch-drunk or a football team 2-0 down at half time. It's going to be hard to turn it around, it's going to take something special. But I do agree people under estimated PS3 selling so well vs X360 (I did try to tell people)

Too much Sony praise for my blood '-)

I will tell you the two things Sony did wrong, huge mistakes, that will cost them the generation ok!

1) They didn't stabilize there servers for more users quickly enough, PSN outages are all the rage these days across every outlet every time it happens.

2) February event was too early. It allowed MS to plan, react, and actually launch a different system than the initial one they had it mind.

If original bone launched, 24-hour check in, no used games, family share in tact, we would probably be discussing if it's shipped 6 million and sold 5 million as of December 2014 right now.

Begaria

I will tell you the two things Sony did wrong, huge mistakes, that will cost them the generation ok!

1) They didn't stabilize there servers for more users quickly enough, PSN outages are all the rage these days across every outlet every time it happens.

2) February event was too early. It allowed MS to plan, react, and actually launch a different system than the initial one they had it mind.

If original bone launched, 24-hour check in, no used games, family share in tact, we would probably be discussing if it's shipped 6 million and sold 5 million as of December 2014 right now.

I had to read this post a few times and still couldn't make up my mind if it was a joke or not.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I had to read this post a few times and still couldn't make up my mind if it was a joke or not.
Joking tone with serious content. Obviously, these 2 mistakes won't "cost them the generation" but they are mistakes. Also, the XB1 would be tracking worse than the WiiU if it launched at Pre-E3 Xbone policies.

Same here. I was lost at first.

u wot m8

They kept all of those until the E3 pre-orders came. Only then did they change anything, that had nothing to do with Sony.

NickFire

u wot m8

They kept all of those until the E3 pre-orders came. Only then did they change anything, that had nothing to do with Sony.

Correct. And even after the first round of changes, they still hung onto the fallacy that Kinect mattered until they were getting slaughtered in sales, despite having the most hyped game of 2013 and 2014 launch on their system and not PS4 in the late winter.

Shabad

The first issue is a fair point, but it will be hard to estimate how harmful it has been, if any, for PS4 sales.

As for your second point, you are blatantly wrong. Sony revealed what really mattered (price & policy) at E3 2014. If they hadn't at the time, people would have assumed they went the same road Microsoft did, and they would have sunk with them. E3 2013 was perfect timing, and those few minutes at that exact same time is responsible for a lot of what we are seeing today.

BriGuy

Joking tone with serious content. Obviously, these 2 mistakes won't "cost them the generation" but they are mistakes. Also, the XB1 would be tracking worse than the WiiU if it launched at Pre-E3 Xbone policies.
Those really aren't mistakes though. The PS4 and Xbone aren't gladiators, and the survival of one isn't dependent on the death of the other. The PS4 reveal did exactly what it needed to do when it needed to - it drummed up excitement for the system and paved the way for its current success.

Stanng243

Well, the rest is still subjective. Even if far-fetched.
But the bit I bolded is an objective statement which I'm pretty sure is flat out incorrect.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Ps4 is being sold in 123 countries/territories. I haven't heard any number close to that for the Xbox One.

That's another thing. I am one who does sort of being U.S and UK/Europe = world in gaming, only because those are the regions in which console gaming are strongest. Selling not only millions, but tens of millions. Yes the Ps4 is kicking the xbone's ass all over the world, but it mostly matters in the states and in Europe, doesn't it?

If I'm missing more details feel free to fill me in.
One's a country and the other's a continent though. From what others have mentioned parts of Europe, like Germany, France and UK, are very strong, but other parts not nearly as much.

You also need to look at this from the manufacturer's perspective. For MS, they probably see US/UK=world too, because I'm sure over 75% of their sales come from there. Sony otoh, those two countries probably don't go over (or by much more than) 50%, maybe even lower. So they're pretty significant, but they can't ignore the ROTW like MS can because they'd be losing at least 50% of their sales.

This is just layman's talk; maybe someone more versed in this with hard numbers will feel generous enough to chime in for you.

(didn't Microsoft also win last year's November or December NPD?).
They won last December. By, like...10k or some number like that.

Top Bottom