• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Bend: Story Is a Huge Part of Days Gone; Having Infected Instead of Zombies Is a Huge Difference.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://wccftech.com/sony-bend-story-huge-part-of-days-gone/

Sony Bend Director and Writer John Garvin openly said:

"It’s definitely… we haven’t been focusing too much on story yet. There will be a lot more to come on that, coming soon. I’m the writer, and the director, and I’ve written all the games for SIE Bend, and they are all narrative, story-driven games. So this is a huge part of the game. We’re just not talking about it yet.

[…] so in the grand scheme of zombies, yeah, we’re like, infected. So we’re like 28 Days Later zombies, instead of Walking Dead zombies. And that’s, to my mind at least, that’s a huge difference.

Because what that allowed us to do was to create an ecosystem; you’re in an open world, with a day/night cycle, and you’ve got creatures that need to eat, they need to sleep, they need to drink… all of that is built into the daily cycles of the horde. You find a horde den – a cave or a mine – you can track what they’ve done during the day. You can actually find where they go to feed, because we have all of these mass graves in the world. That’s why they are out here in the wilderness. And then you can find out where they feed, where they drink, and you can follow them and learn their habits, and that’s important, because later on there’s going to be missions where you have to take them out. And they’re just dangerous all the time. If you run into one while you’re on the highway trying to do something else, good things don’t come of that."

Tenaciousmo

I swear I had no anticipation that game to ever be in my collection , maybe I just havent played a zombie game in a while, but it seems ... interesting ?

pr0cs

I liked what I saw in the recent videos, but then I like tackling an objective in multiple ways and seeing what the outcome is.

I'm not convinced yet thou that the game isn't janky, some play seemed kinda wacky from animation and ai.

I'm a bit worried many of the missions are "go get bike part #7 from this location" making the story throw away

Tenaciousmo

I liked what I saw in the recent videos, but then I like tackling an objective in multiple ways and seeing what the outcome is.

I'm not convinced yet thou that the game isn't janky, some play seemed kinda wacky from animation and ai.

I'm a bit worried many of the missions are "go get bike part #7 from this location" making the story throw away

I really wish it didn't have that biker aesthetic to it

Banned
...so in the grand scheme of zombies, yeah, we’re like, infected. So we’re like 28 Days Later zombies, instead of Walking Dead zombies. And that’s, to my mind at least, that’s a huge difference.

.....So is a teenage horror fanfic writer in charge of this game?

FranXico

I think that some of the jankiness will be there at launch still.
This is probably going to be a really nice and innovative sandbox puzzle game.
Unfortunately, it is not likely to become a big commercial hit, and I even expect critics to trash it unfairly.
But over time, it will grow on people, and be appreciated.

Humdinger

I'm interested in learning more about the story and characters. They've kept that under wraps so far. Story will be a big part of what makes or breaks the game for me.

The sad thing is a AAA open world Syphon Filter would have moved at least 2 million on name alone. I wish Bend the best with that hard head ass.

Videospel

Because what that allowed us to do was to create an ecosystem; you’re in an open world, with a day/night cycle, and you’ve got creatures that need to eat, they need to sleep, they need to drink… all of that is built into the daily cycles of the horde. You find a horde den – a cave or a mine – you can track what they’ve done during the day. You can actually find where they go to feed, because we have all of these mass graves in the world."
Sounds like Peter Molyneux talking about Black & White or Fable.

Humdinger

The sad thing is a AAA open world Syphon Filter would have moved at least 2 million on name alone. I wish Bend the best with that hard head ass.

I would've loved that, but I guess we have to assume the reason they didn't go that direction is because Syphon Filter wasn't making money.

VulcanRaven

This looks great but too much like The Last of Us. I know its different but the world feels too similar. Zombies are also infected. The big zombie hordes look great so I'm definitely buying this at some point.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I would've loved that, but I guess we have to assume the reason they didn't go that direction is because Syphon Filter wasn't making money.
But there hasn't been a big Syphon Filter game on consoles in a long time. The last two were PSP games that were later ported to PS2. That could be one reason for low sales. I think a new Syphon Filter on PS4 could be a big success.

Last edited:

Kagero

Just change the name from freakers to something else and we're good. Heck even banana bag would be better then freakers. Actually, if you wanted there to be a distinction from freakers and zombies, maybe making them not look like zombies would be a good start.

Dunki

I am rally nterested in all these Areas they teased, like Mountains, desert, urban etc. Honestly I would not be interested in this game if there was no story in it. But giving Sony's history of these kind of games I bet it will be a great experience storywise

Fbh

This game always sounds interesting when people talk about it but then the actual gameplay videos don't look that exciting IMO.
Maybe it's just that Sony is releasing 2 big AAA zombie games next year and I'm just way more hyped for the other one

Humdinger

But there hasn't been a big Syphon Filter game on consoles in a long time. The last two were PSP games that were later ported to PS2. That could be one reason for low sales. I think a new Syphon Filter on PS4 could be a big success.

I think Omega Strain on PS2 killed it. I never played that one, but it wasn't well-received at all, from what I remember. I don't know what happened there. The original trilogy on PS1 was great (and well-reviewed, I think). I tried to play the first game again a couple years ago, but I couldn't handle the old control scheme. I never played the PSP titles.

I know Garvin mentioned that there were no plans to do another Syphon Filter game. He sounded pretty definitive about it. I'd be grateful for a nice remaster of the original trilogy, although that would take some effort.

tumblr_loep9spxM91qcwtdzo3_r1_400.gif

The last time I checked Syphon Filter was on PS2. I guess you'd be right about that. Ubisoft stole Bends lunch money.

the-division-digital-sales.jpg.optimal.jpg

MoogleMan

I like how he actually name drops 28 Days Later, I love that movie.
Same.
I can't wait for this. One of my most anticipated games.

Maybe I'm old school, but to me, zombies are undead, slow and generally not that dangerous once you know how to deal with them. Freakers in days gone (according to the article) have to eat, sleep, drink; so that takes them out of the zombie category. I just think it's silly to classify every creature that feeds on people "zombies" Do we classify every creature that lives in the ocean as "fish"?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I prefer a new Syphon filter to be honest.

im getting tired about the saturation of zombies games, and more if is a The last of us in desnutrition... Days Gone.

Last edited:

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I prefer a new Syphon filter to be honest.

im getting tired about the saturation of zombies games, and more if is a The last of us in desnutrition... Days Gone.
Good job it's not a zombie game then isn't it. Do you think people are fools? Do you honestly think we don't see why people keep trying to call it a zombie game? It's so you can say things like this and use it to attack the game. It's a poor excuse to troll every Day's Gone thread, just like it was with TLOU.

Last edited:

Isa

The initial trailer where the guy was talking about how he misses his woman and is now alone but he'll always remember the days gone... I thought it was fantastic! I'm a sucker for stories like that, and I've enjoyed their games in the past so I'm really looking forward to this one. My only gripe is that it comes out next year, and I'm worried its date will slip. I wish I could play it around Halloween because there aren't really any survival horror esq games this year. Last year I had The Evil Within 2 and I LOVED it. Gonna replay it again soon.

Tenaciousmo

infected instead of zombies, huge difference huh... ya you just keep thinking that.
Well the fact they are still "human" and still need to sleep and have different behaviors depending on daytime might be neat. Even tho weve heard that about almost every modern game ever.

hecatomb

Banned
This looks great but too much like The Last of Us. I know its different but the world feels too similar. Zombies are also infected. The big zombie hordes look great so I'm definitely buying this at some point.
I don't think last of us also had zombie animals like this game is going to have, they already showed zombie bears, and wolves you have to fight

Last edited:

LOLCats

Banned
Well the fact they are still "human" and still need to sleep and have different behaviors depending on daytime might be neat. Even tho weve heard that about almost every modern game ever.

Ya, its probably just me. I cant get into any zombie/infected games.

Last edited:

Tarkus98

Fighting the “infected” animals might be cool. Game definitely has potential and I happen to like the whole biker theme being a biker myself....

EDMIX

infected instead of zombies, huge difference huh... ya you just keep thinking that.

Well its a massive difference if you've seen the 28 series. The speed changes sooooo much in terms of how its seen as a enemy type.

EDMIX

Ya, its probably just me. I cant get into any zombie/infected games.

Well "zombie" isn't a genre....its simply a enemy type.

So not liking Left 4 Dead, has nothing to do with The Last Of Us, not liking Resident Evil won't influence how you feel about Dead Rising and not liking Dead Rising, won't lead into you not liking Days Gone and even not liking Days Gone won't lead into not liking Dying Light, not liking State Of Decay won't mean you'll hate Evil Within 2.

Zombie isn't a genre...all those games are different, having the same enemy type doesn't actually matter, it would be like saying Evolve and Destiny are the same thing cause "alien in da game doe"

SyberWolf

i would buy a next gen syphon filter remake or reboot in a heartbeat.
if its done properly with the same treatment that god of war and spiderman got.

LOLCats

Banned
Well "zombie" isn't a genre....its simply a enemy type.

So not liking Left 4 Dead, has nothing to do with The Last Of Us, not liking Resident Evil won't influence how you feel about Dead Rising and not liking Dead Rising, won't lead into you not liking Days Gone and even not liking Days Gone won't lead into not liking Dying Light, not liking State Of Decay won't mean you'll hate Evil Within 2.

Zombie isn't a genre...all those games are different, having the same enemy type doesn't actually matter, it would be like saying Evolve and Destiny are the same thing cause "alien in da game doe"

I didnt say genre. I guess you’re just trying to find something to latch on to?

Let me break it down for you.

Personally i dont like video games where zombies or infected is part of the main storyline. All of those games you listed meet that criteria and i dont like any of them (even after trying most of them).

EDMIX

I didnt say genre. I guess you’re just trying to find something to latch on to?

Let me break it down for you.

Personally i dont like video games where zombies or infected is part of the main storyline. All of those games you listed meet that criteria and i dont like any of them (even after trying most of them).

lol so basically you playing for just the "storyline" vs the game itself?

ok then.

Have fun with that.

EDMIX

I am sorry you are so upset that i dont like zombie games.
Upset? Buddy you are the one missing out because you don't care for a enemy type vs ACTUAL GAME AND GENRE. Be like "I can't play games with Octopuses", yes cause they must all be the same things /s lol

Ar¢tos

I wish devs would put zombies to sleep for a while...
Since the 90s we have zombie and vampire overload and some werewolf games.
There are so many other interesting creatures in world folklore, but all we get is zombie game after zombie game.

Breakage

I'm surprised people aren't bored to death by zombies. It's always the same clichés and aesthetic with these games.

Whitecrow

Banned
I'm surprised people aren't bored to death by zombies. It's always the same clichés and aesthetic with these games.
That can be applied to... every genre?

Every shooter is about killing things with a gun.
Every racer is about driving a vehicle and win races.

Etc.

Breakage

That can be applied to... every genre?

Every shooter is about killing things with a gun.
Every racer is about driving a vehicle and win races.

Etc.
That's true at a base level, but I think it's more noticeable in games with zombies. I mean just do an image search for Days Gone. There is nothing that makes it stand out; it has that same worn-out look and feel of zombie games that have come before. It's as if they haven't even bothered to shake things up.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

That's true at a base level, but I think it's more noticeable in games with zombies. I mean just do an image search for Days Gone. There is nothing that makes it stand out; it has that same worn-out look and feel of zombie games that have come before. It's as if they haven't even bothered to shake things up.
Days Gone has big zombie hordes that run. I don't think we have seen that in a game before. I might be wrong. Dead Rising had a lot of zombies on the screen but they don't run.

Last edited:
Top Bottom