• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony @ CES: WOW Wear 4k smart content WOW underwater tennis with your dog WOW

Minions

syko de4d

Pc software runs VR... what prevents Sony from patching in VR software at a later date... or is there some hardware requirement that requires a "special pc" in order to run oculus rift?

there is nothing stopping PS4 from supporting Oculus Rift beside Sony.

Minions

there is nothing stopping PS4 from supporting Oculus Rift beside Sony.

So that news from a dev is not news. There is no VR software currently on PS4. That much is a fact. What they are working on behind closed doors is another thing. Unless people are assuming because they developed home for PS3 they would know everything going on behind the scenes. I have no doubt Sony is working with VR, they would be dumb to be caught off guard if VR takes off. I feel if they did know, and announced VR, they would likely be violating some confidentiality agreements.

Quasar

So that news from a dev is not news. There is no VR software currently on PS4. That much is a fact. What they are working on behind closed doors is another thing.

I'm still kind of surprised people all thought Sony would be showing of some PS4 Oculus competitor. I mean...Sony has enough on their plate selling the PS4, getting their network stable enough, launching Playstation Now, and finishing the PS4 OS.

I'm willing to bet any PS4 headgear won't even be announced till after Oculus has a public launch. This kind of thing is not something you rush into be it hardware, os/dev tools or software support. Its going to be a long while.

I guess it was all due to the anti Console comments from Oculus folks.

I'm still kind of surprised people all thought Sony would be showing of some PS4 Oculus competitor. I mean...Sony has enough on their plate selling the PS4, getting their network stable enough, launching Playstation Now, and finishing the PS4 OS.

I'm willing to bet any PS4 headgear won't even be announced till after Oculus has a public launch. This kind of thing is not something you rush into be it hardware, os/dev tools or software support. Its going to be a long while.

I'm thinking we'll see it at E3.

Atomski

Pc software runs VR... what prevents Sony from patching in VR software at a later date... or is there some hardware requirement that requires a "special pc" in order to run oculus rift?

Handling 2 screens at 60fps and the games need to be designed with VR in mind.

There are reasons the lead developer of Oculus Rift said hes focusing on PC..

Also I find it funny that people called him salty for saying that because Sony must have their own VR. So much for that eh?

Minions

They do have the advantage of having the ability to launch later with VR, and have people port games already developed for the Oculus Rift over to the PS4.... that means they will have content to sell devices rather than having to create/take a huge loss at launch.

Handling 2 screens at 60fps and the games need to be designed with VR in mind.

There are reasons the lead developer of Oculus Rift said hes focusing on PC..

Also I find it funny that people called him salty for saying that because Sony must have their own VR. So much for that eh?

Games do have to be developed for VR.... not every game is meant to be VR or would work as a VR game. No one wants to play a VR RTS game. Rushing a product to a market that has not even proven to largely exist would be exactly the opposite of what is profitable. Wait for Oculus to prove the demand is there and can be successful before spending tons of money on a new accessory that will fragment the console(s) involved. I imagine most games designed for "move" would be prime candidates for adding "move" with VR as an optional addition.

Atomski

As a pretty clear Sony fan, sorry sir but what the motherfuck are you talking about?
Illumiroom looked fucking great.

lol mostly PC gamer here and I will agree illumiroom looked dumb. Why would you want a blurry projection around your tv? Also who wants to mount that damn thing on your ceiling..

It just seemed so unpractical.

wizzbang

Banned
lol mostly PC gamer here and I will agree illumiroom looked dumb. Why would you want a blurry projection around your tv? Also who wants to mount that damn thing on your ceiling..

It just seemed so unpractical.

Assuming it was priced sensibly, sorry but that looked fucking awesome, like a massive FOV upgrade and some cool peripheral stuff to the sides, it's a game changer - if it came stick with the Xbox One and was possible without too much loungeroom mess, I would've switched sides no problem.

Bert

No one wants to play a VR RTS game.

I do. Virtual tabletop gaming sounds awesome. You could actually be the in a virtual command room or look around the battlefield by moving your head.

On topic: Do we actually know VR is coming? Seems a bit too early for mass market. And it's hardly getting AAA support on PC as far as I can tell. An even smaller market with higher barriers to entry for developers seems less likely to get support required to make the investment worthwhile.

Top Bottom