• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony close Studio Liverpool

helloiamgary

Neo Member
I spent insane amounts of time playing destruction derby on the PS1, I was hoping for a remake at some point but there goes that plan. Very sad day for the british gaming industry.
Love Wipeout and the continued support the vita version has been getting.
Going to hook up the PS1 and do some smashing.

Fuck, don't remind me about that.

Can't the peeps at Liverpool dump some art, footage or whatever of their WipeOut project at least?

That will leak out for sure, it's the cancelled projects from 2009-2012 which are much more interesting and will shut people up about "oh they only made WipEout so who cares".

So sad.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Ugggggh - this is depressing. Another in a long line of casualties this gen that's starting to make me realize that the games i happened to like might be on ice for a good period of time :/

I was at Uni in Liverpool during the playstation launch build up and the Game store in the city center used to have Wipeout on a big projection screen running constantly. I used to go and watch Wipeout running - just mesmerized by what i was seeing (and hearing).

I chatted with some guys at Psygnosis at a recruiting drive at our Uni around 96 when i was looking for a post-degree job and whilst i would have loved to go work there i decided to not mix work/pleasure and didn't go for the interviews. :/

Utterly gutted by the news - like a part of my gaming life has died. Hope all the wizards get new gigs elsewhere as soon as possible.

And thanks for all the fish piranhas.

meppi

They will be missed.

mcCoT.jpg

We need to go deeper!

iWQwPWM4yCI4h.jpg

Can't seem to find my Japanese copy of Pure nor my Pal PSone trilogy though...only the WipEout 3 SE. Think I put those in storage.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We need to go deeper!

iWQwPWM4yCI4h.jpg

Can't seem to find my Japanese copy of Pure nor my Pal PSone trilogy though...only the WipEout 3 SE. Think I put those in storage.

...Wait, I knew about WipEout on N64.
But on Saturn too? Seriously? O___O

What was Little Deviants supposed to be before they scrapped it a year out from release?

Remember the tech demo? An entire adventure/platform game like that full of puzzles to get to end "gate". We loved it, but the powers that be thought the game was too hard to control (which it was, to be fair), so we had to very quickly rethink what to do. We came up with an idea for mini-games using the different control inputs.

meppi

Oh yeah. There even were pc ports for the original and XL/2097.
The Saturn ports were actually extremely nice. Not quite as buttery smooth as the PSone originals, and the transparacy effects were replaced by the mesh texture. But there was no wobbly polygon syndrome like in the PSone games, which is something most games had back then.

Melchiah

This is indeed a shitty day of epic proportions. First my 5-year old 60GB fatty shuts off, followed by the blinking red light, and now this. =(

Hopefully, we'll still get a new WipEout for PS4, that lives up to the series' name.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I will never forgive Sony for this

Heres another early ps1 game it actually had billboards in the original Wipeout but I never got around to playing it:
Krazy_Ivan_Coverart.png

You didn't miss out on anything. Frankly, the game wasn't very good, even if the premise was fun (the world has gone to shit with various factions using giant mechas to wage war, so Russia sends in a drunken lunatic in a giant mecha as a last ditch effort to defeat the others, or something like that).

It got ported to PC too. Desruction Derby also got PC and Saturn ports.

Wipeout has (in my opinion) not been very good since 3, but this is really sad news.

Of course, then I look at their Wikipedia page and compare the list of games as Psygnosis to the list of games as SCE Studio Liverpool and just laugh.

Sony.

Vitacat

Wipeout has (in my opinion) not been very good since 3, but this is really sad news.

Hmm, the PSP ones were pretty great, I thought. Especially Pure -- playing that game during PSP launch was just mindblowing. A game like that on a handheld. It was just amazing.

Never played the PS3 WO, but I hear the Vita WO is also great. Just bought it last night in fact, and look forward to playing it when my Vita arrives.

I loved Wipeout on Sega Saturn. >.>

I preferred the Sega Saturn Wipeout as it was much faster...both in graphics speed and game play. The graphics were lacking in comparison though...but the speed was worth it. Plus the SS Wipeout had a better soundtrack. :p

Sega Saturn also had 2 Wipeout games. :)

Hmm, the PSP ones were pretty great, I thought. Especially Pure -- playing that game during PSP launch was just mindblowing. A game like that on a handheld. It was just amazing.

Never played the PS3 WO, but I hear the Vita WO is also great. Just bought it last night in fact, and look forward to playing it when my Vita arrives.
The PSP games were lacking, something, I just could never pinpoint what. I tried to like them.

Wipeout HD was GORGEOUS, but the laughable difficulty just made the game not very much fun to play (and I didn't care about online).

I haven't tried the Vita game yet, but I would sure like to at some point.

meppi

Yup, all while being owned by Sony. Wipeout is a weird game and its history.

Very weird. Everywhere you look it says they were bought by Sony in 1993, but I remembered reading in magazines at the time when WipEout 64 came out that it would be the last game that they would put out on non Sony hardware. Stating how they were bought up by Sony.

So confusing.

Wait a second. Pulse was on PS2?
Yes, but the port was done by Spiral House. Not the best version of the game to say the least...

Shearie

Sadness. I not only loved Wipeout like everyone else but I even loved Barbarian and especially Brataccas back when I was kid.

Very weird. Everywhere you look it says they were bought by Sony in 1993, but I remembered reading in magazines at the time when WipEout 64 came out that it would be the last game that they would put out on non Sony hardware. Stating how they were bought up by Sony.

So confusing.

Yes, but the port was done by Spiral House. Not the best version of the game to say the least...
Had to look it up. EU only, that's why I didn't know it existed.

danwarb

Oh yeah. There even were pc ports for the original and XL/2097.
The Saturn ports were actually extremely nice. Not quite as buttery smooth as the PSone originals, and the transparacy effects were replaced by the mesh texture. But there was no wobbly polygon syndrome like in the PSone games, which is something most games had back then.

I thought it was smoother actually, but with some weird effects and no transparencies.

Top Bottom