• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony close Studio Liverpool

Oh yeah. There even were pc ports for the original and XL/2097.
The Saturn ports were actually extremely nice. Not quite as buttery smooth as the PSone originals, and the transparacy effects were replaced by the mesh texture. But there was no wobbly polygon syndrome like in the PSone games, which is something most games had back then.
I also own both Saturn Wipeout games and yeah, they're good ports. But I think they're actually a bit slower than the PS1 games, either that or the PAL versions weren't correctly converted from the NTSC ones...

Curufinwe

The PSP games were lacking, something, I just could never pinpoint what. I tried to like them.

Wipeout HD was GORGEOUS, but the laughable difficulty just made the game not very much fun to play (and I didn't care about online).

I haven't tried the Vita game yet, but I would sure like to at some point.

Laughable hard or laughable easy? I found HD to be a great challenge, apart from Beat Zico and Zone Zeus which were impossible for me.

I was waiting for them to patch in customizable controls into 2048 or port it to the PS3, but I guess neither of those things will happen now.

I also own both Saturn Wipeout games and yeah, they're good ports. But I think they're actually a bit slower than the PS1 games, either that or the PAL versions weren't correctly converted from the NTSC ones...

You sir are insane >.>

The first was so noticeably faster and superior game play wise even a Sony fan boy couldn't say that with a straight face.

The PSX version did have higher quality Textures and Transparencies. It looked nicer, but it was slow...

Psy-Phi

Laughable hard or laughable easy? I found HD to be a great challenge, apart from Beat Zico and Zone Zeus which were impossible for me.

I was waiting for them to patch in customizable controls into 2048 or port it to the PS3, but I guess neither of those things will happen now.

Customizable? You don't like the standard Wipeout controls? I know the controls they defaulted to were unplayable for me, but it had classic and that's all I needed.

jett

D-Member
My favorite Wipeout track:

Dj Sasha - Xpander

We need to go deeper!

iWQwPWM4yCI4h.jpg

Can't seem to find my Japanese copy of Pure nor my Pal PSone trilogy though...only the WipEout 3 SE. Think I put those in storage.

what the

i didn't know pulse had been ported to the ps2.

Very weird. Everywhere you look it says they were bought by Sony in 1993, but I remembered reading in magazines at the time when WipEout 64 came out that it would be the last game that they would put out on non Sony hardware. Stating how they were bought up by Sony.

So confusing.

Yes, but the port was done by Spiral House. Not the best version of the game to say the least...

I recall the (public, at least) details pretty well.

Psygnosis still considered themselves somewhat independent, and according to popular rumor at the time, insisted that they be able to release Wipeout first on Saturn, then on N64.

After that, I believe Sony said "no more." Proably didn't sell all that well, or they would have let them continue.

It's also not completely unprecedented. Atari, back in the day, decided that they could make good money on other platforms and lauched the Atarisoft label and made Intellivision, Colecovision, etc ports of their top titles.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I've never owned any consoles prior to PS3 but WipEout HD was easily one of my favorite games this generation. Shame on you Sony.

You sir are insane >.>

The first was so noticeably faster and superior game play wise even a Sony fan boy couldn't say that with a straight face.

The PSX version did have higher quality Textures and Transparencies. It looked nicer, but it was slow...
Do you have the PAL version of the Saturn games or NTSC? Usually PAL games run a bit slower if the developers don't address that problem.

And I may be wrong, obviously, but I had the impression that the PS1 game was faster. I haven't played the PS1 versions in a long time btw, and the Saturn games, I just bought them 1 or 2 years ago.

Takao

Banned
Remember the tech demo? An entire adventure/platform game like that full of puzzles to get to end "gate". We loved it, but the powers that be thought the game was too hard to control (which it was, to be fair), so we had to very quickly rethink what to do. We came up with an idea for mini-games using the different control inputs.

That's exactly what I wanted Little Deviants to be :(

You sir are insane >.>

The first game on Saturn was considerably easier than the PSX version, and not in a good way. Inferior port, much more point-and-shoot driving.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Why isn't there a demo of WipEout HD, Sony? For some reason I'm dead convinced I've played a demo of that game, but that makes no sense.

Corto

I'm playing WipEout HD right now but PSN network is down here in Portugal at the moment. I was able to add a few friend invites before it went down so if it turns back up again I'll play with fellow GAFfers a few races. If not tomorrow I'll be there again... I'll be praticing on 2048 the whole day. ;)

Vally

Man, the music in the Wipeout 2097 part takes me back... that song was in the demo, I remember playing the hell out of it when I bought a PS1 and still didn't have any games.

I know a lot of GAF don't go on PlayStation Home, I'm no fan of Wipeout (I suck at it, though I LOVE the designs) but I thought the Wipeout Museum in Home was cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nEWXMKE5gY

Yeah, I don't care that much about Home but the Wipeout museum is awesome. It really gives a sense of scale on how big the ships actually are.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Not sure how accurate this is but here's a list of Psygnosis games over the years. Please note, they only published some of these. So for instance, they didn't develop Alundra. But I used to love the Destruction Derby titles as well as Formula 1 back in the PS1 days.

Oh, and if I wanted the soundtracks, I just popped the games into my CD player.

God damn, they did Colony Wars and G-Police, what the hell happened to either of those series, such fun memories back in the PS1 era, what happened that they then got stuck with Wipeout and F1 from the PS2 era out?

Such a shame, both Colony Wars and G-Police would have made excellent Vita titles or smaller PSN titles.
God dammit Sony.

J-Tier

This is natural, Sony tends to take on too many. The negative is some are bound to fail. The positive is some are bound to be gems. Their method is risky, but has spawned some good stuff (Journey/Flower, the recent Sounds Shapes, etc).

Gone back to wipEout HD tonight after not playing the game (or any of them) for ages. FUCK ME, wipEout is hard as fuck :) It takes forever to get back into the controls and difficulty again lol. I can't even remember my favourite craft. I always used to use AG Systems.

Gone back to wipEout HD tonight after not playing the game (or any of them) for ages. FUCK ME, wipEout is hard as fuck :) It takes forever to get back into the controls and difficulty again lol. I can't even remember my favourite craft. I always used to use AG Systems.
I find Assegai is a great, overall balanced ship. At least give one a spin next time you play.

7threst

This is natural, Sony tends to take on too many. The negative is some are bound to fail. The positive is some are bound to be gems. Their method is risky, but has spawned some good stuff (Journey/Flower, the recent Sounds Shapes, etc).

Ugh, we credit Sony now for Journey and Flower? I mean, great games, but with or without Sony, TGC would've made these games.

V_Ben

Banned
Ugh, we credit Sony now for Journey and Flower? I mean, great games, but with or without Sony, TGC would've made these games.

To be fair, we don't know that. Sony provided TGC with resources and, most importantly, time to do the games the way they wanted to. Journey was refined so much over the process, so I imagine that they might have turned out differently if it was just TGC by themselves.

Forgetting that Sony signed a 3 game deal with them which provided them with enough funding to make the games in the first place. TGC went independent post Journey because they had attributed enough funds to do so, so obviously Sony had an important part in it.

J-Tier

I didn't credit Sony for making them, I credit them for being more accepting of experimental titles that are considered risks.

I still can't believe Sony have scuttled and killed the remnants of a company that gave us Lemmings and Wipeout. It'll be sickening to see them using those properties in future... It's like what EA did to bullfrog, origin etc. That legacy should have been sacred to them, something to be proud of and build on. Big companies just don't care about such things. Like pirateben suggests, this is probably the work of some team of Sony spreadsheet experts. It's sad.

Despera

Banned
Seriously, for the past couple of months, not a week went by without something awful like this to read in the Gaming section.

I still can't believe Sony have scuttled and killed the remnants of a company that gave us Lemmings and Wipeout. It'll be sickening to see them using those properties in future... It's like what EA did to bullfrog, origin etc. That legacy should have been sacred to them, something to be proud of and build on. Big companies just don't care about such things. Like pirateben suggests, this is probably the work of some team of Sony spreadsheet experts. It's sad.

Things like this makes me wish developers keep the IP of the game while they license it out to publishers.

Agent X

what the

i didn't know pulse had been ported to the ps2.

Yes, but sadly that version of the game was never released in North America.

While we're reminiscing about Wipeout Pulse, the DLC for the PSP version was never released here, also. I'd still like for Sony to release that DLC here.

jiggles

Banned
Had a cross-play session with some dudes from another forum tonight to bid SL farewell.

It just made the pain even worse. From how much of a technical marvel it was that it looked and worked as well as it did, to how nonchalantly they ported the the entirety of the PS3 game to Vita, and gave it for free.

They were kings.

Top Bottom