• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cross-play documents with Epic/Dev's

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think Sony working out a deal to add a royalty charge to disproportionate use of their infrastructure or playerbase is unfair, per say.

What disappoints me is that either they're the only ones doing that (which we can't confirm), or weren't willing to work out a deal sooner to allow cross play (what appears to be the case).
Clearly Nintendo and Microsoft came up with their own revenue sharing plans and/or greenlit crossplay a year (ish?) earlier than Sony for Fortnite, but Sony was unwilling to come to the table until much later with something in place.
Thats either a Sony thing, or perhaps a digital platform thing if Steam, MS, Apple do it too but we dont know about it.

Does anyone know if other digital marketplaces try to force counter payment subsidies if they think other platforms are gaining ground?

Kilau

"HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL - ATTORNEYS' EYES ONLY"
eye GIF

Seriously though Sony look like huge clowns, again.

BeardGawd

Banned
Shits not a charity. Closed ecosystems. You can take your “it’s good for us” and put it in the same place where you can find “why aren’t there competing stores on Xbox/PlayStation? Why isn’t Gamepass on PlayStation and PSNow on Xbox” etc etc etc

Shits business. PlayStation garnered the biggest userbase, and by default has nothing to gain from helping other platforms prop up their numbers.
Such a dumb take. Imagine if iOS games/apps couldn't play/communicate with Android games/apps.

Azurro

Banned
Wow lmao :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

‘Epic goes out of its way to make Sony look like heroes’

and

‘not a single one can explain how cross-console play improves the PlayStation business’

are the two highlights for me :messenger_tears_of_joy: the ‘for the payers’ meme based on Sony’s apparent attitude to their own consumer base seem pretty accurate.

It's true though, it's not like PS users don't have a big enough userbase to play with, this is mostly a benefit for Xbox gamers that have a much smaller pool of players.

reksveks

Such a dumb take. Imagine if iOS games/apps couldn't play/communicate with Android games/apps.
why do consumers care so much about multibillion dollar companies whom make alot of profit?

listening to tim sweeney at the moment, i don't think i can justify staying up all night for this case.

yazenov

Jim should be fired if Sony left money on the table just to be labeled good guy Jimbo on the internet for the players.

I mean no shit Sony should charge others to have access to the huge Playstation user base. They are running a business after all. It's not a charity.

Cross play benefits the completion more than it benefits Sony given the huge disparity in user base. I mean, most of the people calling for cross play were non ps owners anyways, the vocal minority.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Theres something wrong when you see it as a platform winning, instead of the userbase on both places. Yes ps has the bigger networks of the two, but friends can have different platforms and we're not able to play together before.

And Sony wanted those two friends to not keeping to play together, unless one of them bought a PlayStation.

Of those friends, most of them are much more likely to have a PS rather than an Xbox. If the one that got an Xbox wants to play with his friends that own Playstations, then this person should get a PS, simple.

yazenov

why do consumers care so much about multibillion dollar companies whom make alot of profit?

listening to tim sweeney at the moment, i don't think i can justify staying up all night for this case.
Im a Playstation owner with access to the largest and most populated user base. Why should I care for non ps users? Om having no trouble playing any game online and find lots of players to play with. Reminder me why should I care?

elliot5

Of those friends, most of them are much more likely to have a PS rather than an Xbox. If the one that got an Xbox wants to play with his friends that own Playstations, then this person should get a PS, simple.
This is such a reductive and simplistic POV that especially doesn't make sense when every other platform at the time (wrt Fortnite) was allowing cross play.

If a group of friends had PC and Xbox and Nintendo all playing together, I'd imagine the PS player would want Sony to let them play. Not being like "hey sorry, PlayStation is too big. How about all of you just buy a PlayStation. Simple."

reinking

Gold Member
Console or brand of choice > publisher > developer > retailer > principals > breath
In that case...
F'k Phil, Jim, Tim, Tim, Micro$oft ($ because f'em), Sony, Apple, Epic, Game$top, Best Buy, Walmart, money-hatting, dev buying, deal making, exclusivity.... ...breath... ..and mostly fuck Tom Warren and all of the other "news" media that constantly stir the pot.

..also Nintendo because I know I am going to end up buying yet another Switch because of their stupid "upgrade" in the fall.

..also, if anyone takes this serious. F you too.

now I feel better.

reksveks

Im a Playstation owner with access to the largest and most populated user base. Why should I care for non ps users? Om having no trouble playing any game online and find lots of players to play with. Reminder me why should I care?
It's called empathy, I played cyberpunk on pc with no problems but I still care about console players whom had a shit experience. There is no factual reason why you have to care about anyone other than yourself.

Azurro

Banned
This is such a reductive and simplistic POV that especially doesn't make sense when every other platform at the time (wrt Fortnite) was allowing cross play.

If a group of friends had PC and Xbox and Nintendo all playing together, I'd imagine the PS player would want Sony to let them play. Not being like "hey sorry, PlayStation is too big. How about all of you just buy a PlayStation. Simple."

That situation is very unlikely and iirc, this was about cross play with Xbox and Nintendo, while most of the userbase is on PS and PC (which were already cross play, although my memory is not the best).

It's not reductionist, it's the truth, the only ones that benefit are the smaller platforms with the smallest userbases. So yeah, get a PlayStation.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

to play with friends on other platforms? guessing thats not a problem for you tho since you would need friends for that.

Azurro

Banned
Lmao i guess scumbag sony is back in full swing, hopefully they will get some humbleness knocked back into them like microsoft did after their bullshit

Mmmm...you do know this is what companies do, right? Compete? You think they all hold hands and sing cumbaya? MS bought Bethesda which is a way bigger scumbag move than this, and yet it seems you are completely fine with that.

sainraja

If you’re good at something never do it for free.

That sums up Sony’s position here.

But Epic were right in the end - cross play is a thing. I don’t know if anyone can say if it hurt or helped the PlayStation business though.

But in the end of the end Sony ended up buying a stake of Epic 🤷‍♂️ Where will that relationship end up?
Yeah, Sony should have allowed cross play but I can see why they would hesitate (still doesn't justify it), they had a larger player-base. People forget but Microsoft did the same during the X360 gen with cross play with the PC and I believe the PS3 (but MS had the advantage during that time.)

Last edited:

yazenov

It's called empathy, I played cyberpunk on pc with no problems but I still care about console players whom had a shit experience. There is no factual reason why you have to care about anyone other than yourself.

Im sorry I don't care for some unknown faceless dudes over the internet who whines about cross play instead of getting the system they want access to..

With regards to Cyberpunk, they should have read some reviews before getting the game. And they could always geta refund

sainraja

Mmmm...you do know this is what companies do, right? Compete? You think they all hold hands and sing cumbaya? MS bought Bethesda which is a way bigger scumbag move than this, and yet it seems you are completely fine with that.
A lot of them are playing console wars which is why they crave anything that allows them to continue to do that.

reksveks

Im sorry I don't care for some unknown faceless dudes over the internet who whines about cross play instead of getting the system they want access to..

With regards to Cyberpunk, they should have read some reviews before getting the game. And they could always geta refund
the cyberpunk is an example but you ignore the point if you want.

ethomaz

Banned
Yeap... it is a case if the cross-play revenue in Sony platform is lower than the people that play the games here they need to get more money.

I told that before... cross-play opens a hell gate where you can have the userbase on your platform but you lose the 30% share from the goods sales.

I even point that no company at time have a clear vision how to fix that issue with Cross-play.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's true though, it's not like PS users don't have a big enough userbase to play with, this is mostly a benefit for Xbox gamers that have a much smaller pool of players.
No, it’s mostly a benefit to any customer who owns one system and has a friend who owns another. Or who wants to be able to play a game on the couch on their PS4 and then go to bed and play a few games on their Switch before bed.

And it’s hilarious to note that the people ITT screaming ‘console warriors’ are actually the biggest culprits themselves.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
No, it’s mostly a benefit to any customer who owns one system and has a friend who owns another. Or who wants to be able to play a game on the couch on their PS4 and then go to bed and play a few games on their Switch before bed.

But if that user mostly plays on PlayStation and then spends his money on eshop, why should Sony be ok with this?

This is just more “Sony is bad because they are not a charity” BS

Achille0s

I see this differently, i will take a real example, i play every day with friends warzone, we have 2 on Xbox, 1 on PS and others on PC, it's about the game not userbase, machine or ecosystem are you playing on, i would love to see cross play on many others games like FIFA, PES ....

As a gamer ive alwas wanted cross platform like i want to play fifa with my bro who owns a xbox, but i guess business will always make that impossible. You always have to chose a console depending on what exclusives it has and what your friends are playing on. But crossplay would have massively made gamers happy and crossplatform devs more money but could also make both sony and ms more money but theres a strong belief that one of them would lose more and thats sony because itll basically make people have less reasons to get a playstation if they can have xbox and still play with their playstation friends. Itll clearly boost xbox sales theoretically so unless sony is greedy and favours microsoft with crossplay, then the deal womt happen but its a nice try from epic i bet they where the middle man sent by ms to lure sony in signing that deal.

I have to say tencent's epic aquisition has made them more powerful.

ethomaz

Banned
As a gamer ive alwas wanted cross platform like i want to play fifa with my bro who owns a xbox, but i guess business will always make that impossible. You always have to chose a console depending on what exclusives it has and what your friends are playing on. But crossplay would have massively made gamers happy and crossplatform devs more money but could also make both sony and ms more money but theres a strong belief that one of them would lose more and thats sony because itll basically make people have less reasons to get a playstation if they can have xbox and still play with their playstation friends. Itll clearly boost xbox sales theoretically so unless sony is greedy and favours microsoft with crossplay, then the deal womt happen but its a nice try from epic i bet they where the middle man sent by ms to lure sony in signing that deal.

I have to say tencent's epic aquisition has made them more powerful.
It is not about people not buying a console due Crossplay but about the user using his MTX, DLCs, etc but only one platform will receive the cut from the purchase.

Last edited:

yazenov

And it’s hilarious to note that the people ITT screaming ‘console warriors’ are actually the biggest culprits themselves.

I mean, realistically speaking, how many people will actually benefit and fall into this scenario you just gave as an example ? Im guessing not many people.

It reminds me of backwards compatibility. Vocal minority wants it but not many people are use it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Sony exec was a 100% right. What's in it for them? MS and Nintendo with their shitty userbases get to benefit from crossplay the most. MS was actually charging XBL Gold to play F2P games like Fortnite until just last week. So they were making money off F2P games in ways Sony wasn't while Sony was sharing their userbase with them. Userbase they spent billions to cultivate.

Epic countered with a bunch of perks to sweeten the deal which makes sense. This is just business. Xbox has a very engaged userbase who play a lot games, and invest a lot of money into their eco system. I highly doubt a F2P game like Fortnite needed the PS userbase on xbox. But Nintendo? They needed the PS users to keep those servers filling up every few seconds. Shouldn't Sony get a cut of the profits from switch for making sure they have enough players to actually play this game without waiting in the lobby for 10-15 minute after every death?

I really dont see this as evil Sony. It's actually the one thing I agree with jimbo on. It's insane to think that a platform holder would spend and lose billions on building an eco system only to give free access to that userbase.

Top Bottom