• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony cross-play documents with Epic/Dev's

ManaByte

E0eg40OXsAIjG_G

E0eh9-gXsAMupde

E0ek3yvX0AEyfM2

Banjo64

cumsessed
Wow lmao :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

‘Epic goes out of its way to make Sony look like heroes’

and

‘not a single one can explain how cross-console play improves the PlayStation business’

are the two highlights for me :messenger_tears_of_joy: the ‘for the payers’ meme based on Sony’s apparent attitude to their own consumer base seem pretty accurate.

onesvenus

I'd love to know the reason why Epic is so in bed with Sony.
The answer on the second image in the first thread is embarrassing from a business standpoint. I'd think that being a multiplatform company you'd want to be as neutral as possible but that email screams anything but that.

And about the revenue share, WTF.
The thing that we are getting with that Epic lawsuit is that we shouldn't root for any company at all. They only want their money and even when they say "4 the players" they don't want something as good for them as crossplay. It's really crazy

ManaByte

So basically, it’s about using your log in account on another platform, buying shit on that platform and Sony getting nothing?

Makes sense that they would need something to balance that out.

Again that's not it. Before Sony allowed crossplay, you could have a PC Epic account that you played on the PC and bought skins on, and then you could login with that account on the PlayStation. BUT if you did that YOUR ACCOUNT WAS FOREVER BLOCKED FROM LOGGING INTO A XBOX OR SWITCH. Sony basically was holding Fortnite accounts hostage, and when the game released on the Switch people discovered that due to logging into a PlayStation with their account they were technically banned from playing on the Switch.

assurdum

Banned
Just thought that this might be interesting to some people in terms of gaining insights into the conversations that was being had around cross-play regarding Sony and Epic as well as other devs.

Still trying to get my head around the second tweet and Sony's proposal there..

Anyway this guy can't save himself. And he has the courage to say he doesn't hate Sony but he is a normal gamer enthusiastic as any other... and it's not an Xbox fanboy lol. Sony asked to developer to pay for crossplay. Ok. They can refuse it and say to them to go to fuck off. It's the first time who see a company try to sell the idea they did it for the player goodness? Or he trying to argue MS didn't do nothing like this :pie_thinking: I mean the ideas behind GamePass is a big medium finger in the ass of the customer but still they sell it as a gift to the gamers. They are multinational corporations.
He defines himself an Xbox journalist but every single time just published articles with such scoop when Sony is involved. I mean, nothing against people who likes kiss the ass of Spencer and Xbox, but at least limit you to that and avoid stuff a la "mister 9 TF there is always a difference."

Last edited:

SilentUser

Who is this Tom and to who he works for? lol Sounds fishy as hell, since we can't compare this to anything else. How other companies do this, for instance? Is that standard practice? Anyone have documents showing how it works for MS or Nintendo? Really curious to know.

ToadMan

If you’re good at something never do it for free.

That sums up Sony’s position here.

But Epic were right in the end - cross play is a thing. I don’t know if anyone can say if it hurt or helped the PlayStation business though.

But in the end of the end Sony ended up buying a stake of Epic 🤷‍♂️ Where will that relationship end up?

I guess they wanted some kind of ROI but eh, it's gotten better and we have a long way to go. Cross play needs to be an industry standard.
Corporations that feel they are greater than thou, always succumb to their downfalls later on. Hence why you see multi-platforms releasing on PC, they were late to the party on cross platform, etc. This is only gonna bite then in the ass.

On the other hand, this lawsuit is interesting, as documents have leaked from ALL parties. Microsoft, Sony, steam, etc. Microsoft apparently likes TLOU2, and steam is getting sued as a result.

I'm not sure If ppl are just blissfully ignorant of contract deals or have never been a part or seen contracts. Or dealt with clients/vendors/orgs who you are under contract with their place of work. You better believe that wording like that in contracts and agreements are very very common.

I've seen agreements threatened to be pulled cause their logo looked "smaller" than the other logo next to theirs. I seen full on meltdowns cause they wanted exclusive rights to all branding, no sharing of shine what so ever. When ppl are putting up that money, you better believe you'll be kissing their ass... Welcome to normal everyday regular business shit. Some of the comments in here really make me wonder if some of you think there are "Angel" Corporations. Some of the shittiest clients I've dealt with were Non-profits.

EDIT: Oh and some State/Local Government, they really like to push their weight around... thinking you're the "lucky" one to be working with them.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Just yesterday he got put in place trying to "good guy" MS with cutting of the 30%... almost like he was timing these but MS threw a wrench into his daily plans of making one look like a publisher savior over the other.
He deleted all the twitter about the 9TF if I'm not wrong. Anyway I moderate the tone of my post but people like him literally destroy my nerves. I'd like to know where are all those ps5 journalist who acts like him because the Xbox front seems infested of such childish people. Thanks to God Spencer hate fanboy I guess just when they are Sony fanboy :pie_unamused:

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
True.

I don't know why there is always an expectation from Sony to *uck over their own customers and business and profitability and act as a charitable organization to support other businesses, including its own competitors.
How would the ability to choose what platform you can buy your vbucks, the ability to use all of your outfits across all platforms and play with your cousin who owns an Xbox/Switch/PC fuck you over as a customer?

Holammer

At the time Epic had big dreams and tried to position itself as an indispensable service provider for multiplayer, digital ownership/inventory, achievements and voice chat for all formats & games. A service they would selflessly offer for a mere pittance (if you can't tell, that last sentence was dripping with sarcasm). As the biggest player in the industry Sony outright refused to cooperate, collapsing the entire already stillborn project. Sweeney was so ass mad he started a public shaming campaign against Sony.
This so called Facebook for Gaming never happened and thank god for that. The mere idea made me toes curl.

Rolla

Banned
But Epic were right in the end - cross play is a thing. I don’t know if anyone can say if it hurt or helped the PlayStation business though.

But in the end of the end Sony ended up buying a stake of Epic 🤷‍♂️ Where will that relationship end up?

Fun fact: Playstation has been breaking gaming records before and since Crossplay became a thing, according to their quarterly reports. Truth be told, I don't think it had any influence outside the core enthusiast conversation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom