• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony donates $2m to support Israel and Gaza aid

X-Wing

Sony is donating $2m (£1.65m) to support humanitarian aid in Israel and Gaza, as hostilities in the region continue, and casualties mount.

The company said its donation would be split between the Japanese Red Cross and UNICEF. Sony employees can also add their own money, which the company will then match.

"Sony respects and supports the human rights of all people," Sony said in a statement. "We strongly oppose terrorism, violence against civilians, hate, and other acts that threaten human life, livelihood, and dignity, and wish for the restoration of peace in the region."

Indie publisher Devolver Digital has also announced a donation, this time to the UN Relief and Works Agency, which is currently "providing humanitarian aid to Palestinian families".

In a post on X, formerly Twitter, Devolver called upon its followers to also consider donating.

In 2022, video game companies donated en masse to humanitarian efforts during the invasion of Ukraine.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Meanwhile Microsoft donated $68.7 billion to Activision Blizzard.

Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

Drizzlehell

Banned
Great gesture from both of those companies. It'd be nice to see more of them chippin' in.

It's just unbelievable that all the Islamic State really wants anymore is to kill everyone who isn't them. They don't even bother with any causes anymore. It's the kind of shit you'd normally expect to see Warhammer 40k and not the real life but here we are, barely 2 millennia in and people are already adapting the philosophy of the fucking Space Marines.

NinjaBoiX

Why?

If a company does something great, if not then whatever.
If nothing else it’s a good look, PR wise.

But also, from a slightly more pessimistic point of view, they’re effectively helping to support a percentage of their consumer base.

It’s just a sensible business decision.

Three

What? While its great they did this they have no bit to play in this subject.
They donated to the Red Cross and UNICEF to help people in need. They're not really playing a bit in any subject. They're just donating to ease some people's suffering who have been caught in a shitty situation. I don't see why more companies doing that isn't a good thing.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

What? While its great they did this they have no bit to play in this subject.
I’m not suggesting that they had some moral obligation, just saying it’d be nice to see other corporations with deep pockets do the same.

Huge donations like this will help far more than the likes of you or me donating £20, and like I mentioned earlier it’s good PR for a company if nothing else.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm all for helping the innocent people on both sides. Nobody deserves suffering and whatever the company the steps up regardless of Sony, I commend them when they want to do the right thing and help the people in need wherever they may be.

100% agree! Glad Sony did something good here.

C2brixx

Microsoft from a week ago...
1920x1011-Microsoft-Israel-1024x539.jpg

Microsoft’s campus in Herzliya, Israel. Photo: Amit Geron Photography

Kathleen Hogan, Executive Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer, shared the below communication today with Microsoft employees.

I am profoundly saddened by the horrific terrorist attacks in Israel this weekend and the atrocities we continue to watch unfold. Together with the senior leadership team (SLT), I want to express my deepest sympathy for those who have been killed, injured, lost loved ones, and all those impacted by this violence. Together we condemn this hatred and brutality. To everyone impacted, please know we are all with you in our hearts and in our actions, and we will continue to do everything we can to support you and keep you safe.

The outpouring of support from so many of you worldwide is heartfelt and needed now, and many of you are asking how you can help. Since the attacks unfolded on Saturday, we have been focused on the safety of our employees and their families in Israel and their overall wellbeing. Many teams across Microsoft — including our Crisis Management Team — have been activated and are working to assist employees. Our SLT is in direct contact with our local leaders in Israel and our employee communities, to offer support and to understand how best to help employees and their families during this unimaginable time.
We have nearly 3,000 employees in Israel directly impacted.
We have Jewish employees around the world who are also experiencing grief, fear and anxiety as hatred and vitriol increase. We have Palestinian employees globally who are deeply concerned for the safety of their loved ones in the region and stand against these acts of terrorism.

We have many resources to help. Microsoft CARES provides mental and emotional wellbeing programs. In addition, we are responding quickly to support those impacted by these tragic events, assessing their needs and providing benefits such as adding virtual support groups. We will continue to listen and determine what other resources are needed.
Microsoft Philanthropies has activated a giving opportunity for eligible employees who wish to support relief efforts. Additionally, Microsoft’s Disaster Response is connecting with local organizations to support first responders with digital technology and services and will help as they receive further requests for assistance.

Microsoft employees show great care, empathy and allyship for each other. Thank you for checking in on your colleagues, listening, and showing support. Thank you to the many employees in Israel volunteering to address urgent community needs and leveraging their AI, cybersecurity, data and research expertise to help. And thank you to local leadership in Israel for coordinating efforts with the SLT and being there for our employees.
Across the company, let us stand together in our shared humanity.
Kathleen

DrFigs

Choosing a side is really just asking for trouble.
edit: i'm saying they are not picking a side here ^ and that it's uncontroversial to donate to both

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Something tells me they have things to show off if they're suddenly donating to charity.

Sort of to wipe the slait clean as to let gamers have a good conscience before celebrating games.

Pelta88

It's a difficult and fraught situation to even declare support for both sides. The politics has been replaced by rhetoric, often extreme. Even worse, that extreme rhetoric seems to get the most airtime in the mainstream instead of a viable solution...

pasterpl

They donated to the Red Cross and UNICEF to help people in need. They're not really playing a bit in any subject. They're just donating to ease some people's suffering who have been caught in a shitty situation. I don't see why more companies doing that isn't a good thing.
It is called tax cuts and PR.

X-Wing

Please don’t make this political and don’t use this for console waring. It’s a nice gesture but 2m is also peanuts for a company like Sony.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Please don’t make this political and don’t use this for console waring. It’s a nice gesture but 2m is also peanuts for a company like Sony.
Then what about Microsoft?
I kid. But honestly saying that someone can donate more is often not a good idea. Companies even more so, as this is not their job. The best part of Sony effort is matching their employees participation IMHO, even if I can see some people being unhappy about this.

Top Bottom