• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ukraine calls on PlayStation, Xbox to stop supporting Russian markets

A.Romero

Saddam was a straight up homicidal maniac. It wasn't that he wasn't popular, it was that it literally didn't matter if he was popular... if you didn't like him and were Iraqi, his thugs would torture you in an extremely brutal way as a lesson to everyone else. The world is 100% better with him in the ground, just like it will be when Putin is dead.

I get that and I'm not saying if the popularity is deserved or not. I'm saying that it depends of what people think regardless of what the UN decides. So if the general population believes the leader of the invaded country "deserves" it, it seems it doesn't matter what the diplomacy channels say, no pressure for sanctions.

Dream-Knife

Banned
yep and the taliban was USA made , fighters we trained in iran /contra times (the 80s) . We made the mujahideem(sp) to fight the soviets, which later turned that training and became the taliban. This all started back then. Consequences -> other consequences to a 20 year war. Its a fine line on what happens with history.

That eventually led to 9-11
Actually the taiban were boys who were sent to Islamic schools in Pakistan during the 80s. They went back to Afghanistan in the 90s and destroyed their fathers and established the taliban.

Not sure if serious, but what Nazis? Their president is Jewish.
Man, stop with this rhetoric. It's like you guys don't think that a person can sell out his/her beliefs for even more power. That's naive and clearly shows that many many many people are under the illusion that the world is black and white (brought to you by propaganda)

Fuck, I hate Putin as much as you guys do, but this conflict has opened my eyes on how fucking hypocrite people are. Ukraine, banning consoles to Russia is not going to achieve SHIT.

Now, all the people involved in this mess, sit the fuck down, negotiate, and stop with the fucking crying and reach an end to this worthless, pointless war. Innocent people are dying in both sides, but what matters to Ukraine is making sure to ban everything from Russia, while expecting Russia to accept all their conditions. Fuck out of here.

mhirano

You can’t just silo the things you like off from such a hideous situation. Like it or not, Putin The Goatfucker’s invasion affects all of us, on multiple levels.

Sony and MS should absolutely be boycotting Russia all the time Russian forces are in Ukraine, murdering innocent people.
Well, they just banned russian teams from FIFA and NHL.
And now Dostoievski books from universities.
For me this is insanity.

FunkMiller

Well, they just banned russian teams from FIFA and NHL.
And now Dostoievski books from universities.
For me this is insanity.

Good on the first two. It was a course on Dovstokesky in one Italian university, which got turned around anyway.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Innocent people are dying in both sides, but what matters to Ukraine is making sure to ban everything from Russia, while expecting Russia to accept all their conditions. Fuck out of here.

Oh yes, god damn those Ukrainians for asking for boycots on Russian goods, and demanding Russia leaves their country, having invaded it for no good reason.

Fuck me lad, you in a Moscow bunker somewhere?

Last edited:
Oh yes, god damn those Ukrainians for asking for boycots on Russian goods, and demanding Russia leaves their country, having invaded it for no good reason.

Fuck me lad, you in a Moscow bunker somewhere?
Yes I am, and I just had lunch with Putin. Man, this situation shows the truth about people. You all want continuous conflict, continuous sanctions because you have to root against someone. You have to. There's no middle terms, nothing.

Calling Playstation, or Apple, or Xbox, to stop selling in the Russian market is so fucking ridiculous from Ukraine to ask. They have other things to care about right now, like actually sitting on a table and discuss how can they all agree to stop this madness.

The other thread has already opened my eyes to the posters that I should ignore, so carry on.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yes I am, and I just had lunch with Putin. Man, this situation shows the truth about people. You all want continuous conflict, continuous sanctions because you have to root against someone. You have to. There's no middle terms, nothing.

Calling Playstation, or Apple, or Xbox, to stop selling in the Russian market is so fucking ridiculous from Ukraine to ask. They have other things to care about right now, like actually sitting on a table and discuss how can they all agree to stop this madness.

The other thread has already opened my eyes to the posters that I should ignore, so carry on.

While I agree that diplomacy is the answer, it seems like Russia's demands are something like "surrender your entire country to us or you will die". How can Ukraine possibly accept that?

John Wick

Yes, I know, but the fact is that crazy man is using the whole Russian Satate to invade other country and kill civilians, while threatening the rest of us with nuclear weapons, and the only option we have left is let Russia know in a peaceful way that we don't support that behavior and that it has consequences for them too.

I have nothing against Russian people so if someone from Russia is reading me I want to make clear I intend no offense to them, but what's happening is just unacceptable and we can not and should not tolerate it.
It's funny how the USA and it's allies can invade anywhere they like? They can affect regime change etc. Arm rebels to turn on their leaders. Leave countries devastated. Look at Iraq, Syria, Libya and Afghanistan as an example. This is American democracy at work.

While I agree that diplomacy is the answer, it seems like Russia's demands are something like "surrender your entire country to us or you will die". How can Ukraine possibly accept that?
The thing is, we have no certainty of what's going on during the talks, what are the demands (be aware of propaganda on both sides). I don't think that it is as simple as you are saying, because that doesn't make much sense for Russia to do, given the circumstances.

I don't want to further debate over this because this is the gaming side, and if you are interested in debating this, feel free to PM me.

sn0man

Appreciate it, Russian eco is a bit fucked atm. It'll bounce back once Putin is out. There's no way he gets out alive now. There are millions of Russians with sniper rifles that want his head. That's why he had to run to a bunker and hide.
We’ve had those bunker baby types ourselves. Please stay safe Russian GAF person. If you can help a Ukrainian or two after you oust Putin that’d be great.

The Internet can amplify some terrible shit sometimes but it also can allow us to be “together” despite these strange and scary times.

mrmeh

EVERYONE should stop supporting UK market until they return Malvinas to Argentina. Same rules right?
Lets keep it there, dont want to get banned because politics.

If its same rules.. Falkland islanders don't want to be Argentinian, Ukrainians don't want to be Russian, Leave the propaganda politics out of it.

I'm sure the people of the UK would support you guys being able to buy games consoles at a reasonable price though if you want to start a campaign?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The thing is, we have no certainty of what's going on during the talks, what are the demands (be aware of propaganda on both sides). I don't think that it is as simple as you are saying, because that doesn't make much sense for Russia to do, given the circumstances.

I don't want to further debate over this because this is the gaming side, and if you are interested in debating this, feel free to PM me.

Rationally I would agree, and I certainly hope there can be some solution that, as you say, would actually make sense.

And yes, of course there's propaganda on both sides, I am fully aware that I'm mostly getting one version of the story. Just seems hard to argue against that version given what we're seeing.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Obviously Russians are being fed major propaganda and sanctions might be the only way to communicate with them at this point. I'm sorry, you invade a sovereign nation you should feel enormous pressures of war. Especially since you're the aggressor.

While Russian people are being punished by the sanctions because of their government, meanwhile Ukrainians are fighting to stay alive as a nation. No comparison.
This only applies to certain privileged countries eh? I'd love this to be a blanket rule.

Just let the politicians and governments handle this, we don't need companies and blue checks fishing for likes and retweets with cancel culture nonsense. Putin isn't Hitler and none of them are Saving Private Ryan.

As we speak, the US is tacitly supporting and supplying the weapons for Saudi Arabia's illegal war in Yemen. The death toll there makes Ukraine look like a walk in the park. So let's cancel them as well.

Rationally I would agree, and I certainly hope there can be some solution that, as you say, would actually make sense.

And yes, of course there's propaganda on both sides, I am fully aware that I'm mostly getting one version of the story. Just seems hard to argue against that version given what we're seeing.
There are many players in this game, and I have a huge feeling that Ukraine is being played, but Russia is completely wrong for this invasion.

But based on previous history, I don't think people should assume that this is a good guy vs bad guy situation. The media on the west is doing everything they can to legitimise western interests, while the Russian one is doing the same. Unfortunately, people are dying because of this. I was expecting the audience to be educated about this subject by now, but doesn't seem like it. You can side with Ukraine, while still questioning why this is happening and study both sides.

Last edited:

John Wick

A pretty big difference is that the US isn't threatening to destroy the world if anyone tries to get in their way.
No. They go country by country devastating that country. Maybe you should get your head out of your arse and see the damage the US has done to Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Syria. They prop up Israel to continue their illegal occupation of Palestine. Veto any vote to sanction Israel. Have bases all over the world. Why? They are the only country to drop atomic bombs on civilian cities. America love war and killing civilians.

John Wick

There are many players in this game, and I have a huge feeling that Ukraine is being played, but Russia is completely wrong for this invasion.

But based on previous history, I don't think people should assume that this is a good guy vs bad guy situation. The media on the west is doing everything they can to legitimise western interests, while the Russian one is doing the same. Unfortunately, people are dying because of this. I was expecting the audience to be educated about this subject by now, but doesn't seem like it. You can side with Ukraine, while still questioning why this is happening and study both sides.
The audience believe what their media tells them. Remember the Iran nuclear deal? Signed by the USA. They changed their minds after 2 years. You just can't trust the Americans to keep to their word. Just like the Minsk agreement. They think they can just do as they please. It's no wonder Russia and China aren't taking their shit anymore.

GymWolf

Really not sure if fucking up normal citizens is the correct thing to do...

What they want to achieve? russian people protesting on the streets and getting killed by putin soldiers? Is this what people want?

Do you really think that normal citizens who barely have food or water have any power against armed soldiers?? They have power in numbers sure, but putin would kill hundreds\thousands of his own people before giving up.

This is a lose lose situation for russian people.

Maybe i'm just too naive but imagine if you were the majority of russian people who ARE NOT OKAY with this war.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
You guys do know the US supports the Nazis of Ukraine right?
"The US supports the Nazis of Ukraine" .. Fuck me.. You are either lapping up Russian propaganda or you're literally mentally ill. The Nazi narrative is as true as the white supremacy narrative in the US: Yes there are white supremacists in the US, yes there's Nazis in Ukraine. But they are a handful of powerless losers useless for anything else than to be used for political ammunition.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Nobody wants anything to do with him, but you didn't answer my question. Who is going to do something about it, the rest of the world? In the end it always falls to the people to clean up their own country. Sitting at home saying it's not your fault or your problem is certainly not going to be bringing any change. Perhaps we can all wait until he dies from old age.

Do you really think that putin would have any problem in killing a couple of thousands of protestants?

People watch too many movies about france revolution i think.

If russian government is so fucked up that people really don't decide anymore who their leader is, why would they risk their life for something that is not their fault? Would you do that?? Not everyone believes in second life in heaven with virgins, we all have ONE life.

If these sanctions really push poor people on the streets getting killed by putin soldiers all of these big companies are gonna have russian blood in their hands.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Poor people in Russia don't have Xbox or Playstation.

It would be more acceptable if it is the middle class that gets killed by soldiers for protesting??

Also this topic is about gaming sanctions but the whole world is sanctioning russia, i'm sure that some of these sanctions hit the poor people aswell, mine was a broad statement

Last edited:

John Wick

Saddam was a straight up homicidal maniac. It wasn't that he wasn't popular, it was that it literally didn't matter if he was popular... if you didn't like him and were Iraqi, his thugs would torture you in an extremely brutal way as a lesson to everyone else. The world is 100% better with him in the ground, just like it will be when Putin is dead.
And you know this how? Have you been to Iraq? Or Libya? Have you actually spoke to any Iraqis or Libyans post war? I had cousins living in Tripoli. They had to flee to Italy when Ghadaffi was overthrown. My cousins are still in touch with their friends back there and they all wish they could go back to how things were.

reksveks

If these sanctions really push poor people on the streets getting killed by putin soldiers all of these big companies are gonna have russian blood in their hands.
Putin will have blood on his hands.

Sanctions are shit but the alternative for companies is 'empowering' dictators/bad actors on the international space. How much impact it has or doesn't have cuts both ways.

Yes, I would probably be more comfortable with this being a thing that comes from governments instead of private companies.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
It would be more acceptable if it is the middle class that gets killed by soldiers for protesting??

Also this topic is about gaming sanctions but the whole world is sanctioning russia, i'm sure that some of these sanctions hit the poor people aswell, mine was a broad statement
U quote me?

John Wick

So you got one historians version who's probably never even been to the region but he's an expert now?
He doesn't even mention Bin Laden and his influence on the Mujahadeen. The founders of the Taliban were Afghans trained by the CIA. Obviously those founders aren't going to stay young forever.

GymWolf

Putin will have blood on his hands.

Sanctions are shit but the alternative for companies is 'empowering' dictators/bad actors on the international space. How much impact it has or doesn't have cuts both ways.

Yes, I would probably be more comfortable with this being a thing that comes from governments instead of private companies.
It is a shitty situation indeed, but punishing citizenzs still doesn't sound quite right.

FunkMiller

Were you so vocal when Iraqis were being killed? Or the handful of other countries the west think they can march on?

I’ve been very vocal about America’s poor foreign policies, but what does that have to do with this? It’s okay for Putin to commit mass murder or Ukrainians because George Bush launched a war on a false pretext?

And what does it have to do with sanctions and boycotts on Russian?

All this whataboutery 🙄

Last edited:

John Wick

I’ve been very vocal about America’s poor foreign policies, but what does that have to do with this? It’s okay for Putin to commit mass murder or Ukrainians because George Bush launched a war on a false pretext?
It's not okay for any country killing any innocent people. But where were the calls to ban American, British and Israeli goods, teams etc?
RZ26fRf.jpg

Vaelka

Are you this guy?

Is Cenk aware of his nephew being a Putin and Russia simp?

Edit: On that note who's gonna hold Twitch responsible for the insane levels of misinformation and blatant propaganda some of their biggest streamers engage in?
Funny how that's okay but if you call someone a nasty word you'll get banned.

Last edited:

Mentat02

Banned
As an American I can proudly say I really don't give a shit about Ukraine. Hey Putin, if you decide to destroy Europe please leave the United States out of it. DC doesn't represent the US peoples.

It will impact the younger middle classes, who already are the most likely to get independent new on Internet and oppose Putin but have zero impact on the conflict.

If anything, the strategy should be the exact opposite : focus the sanctions on the Russian oligarchy and try everything to empower the people. Isolating the average russian dude will only make things worst

Yoboman

Were you so vocal when Iraqis were being killed? Or the handful of other countries the west think they can march on?
Learn your history

These demonstrations against the war were mainly organized by anti-war organizations, many of whom had been formed in opposition to the invasion of Afghanistan. In some Arab countries demonstrations were organized by the state. Europe saw the biggest mobilization of protesters, including a rally of three million people in Rome, which is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the largest ever anti-war rally.[3]

According to the French academic Dominique Reynié, between January 3 and April 12, 2003, 36 million people across the globe took part in almost 3,000 protests against the Iraq war.[1]

In the United States, even though pro-war demonstrators have been quoted as referring to anti-war protests as a "vocal minority",[4] Gallup Polls updated September 14, 2007 state, "Since the summer of 2005, opponents of the war have tended to outnumber supporters. A majority of Americans believe the war was a mistake."[5]

From the protests before and during the Iraq War, this was one of the biggest global peace protests to occur in the early 21st century, since the 20th century protest of the Vietnam War. Despite that the United States had already withdrew the troops from Iraq by December 2011, another anti-war protest led by veterans of the Iraq War, took place in May 2012 at Chicago during the NATO Summit at the Hyatt Regency regarding the War in Afghanistan.

Top Bottom