• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony expects 5 million PS4s shipped by March 2014. What might the PS4+XB1 look like?

Myshkin

PS4's are still available on amazon (Germany).
Good bundles are sold out though. (two controllers + KZ for extra 99)

I'm not sure why you're mentioning this. If you order a PS4 two months before release from amazon.de you can expect to get one maybe a month after release. What do you think that means?

The 360 also launched with no next Gen competition and had an entire year to its self. The PS4 and Xbone are practically launching on top of each other. The PS4 cost less and is more powerful with the greater mind share.

But you're not accounting that it launched in 2005, only 4 years after Xbox and GameCube, and was being outsold by the PS2 by a huge margin because the generation had plenty of steam left. This gen has gone twice as long before seeing a new console and gamers are thirsty for new hardware. Also the 360 could've done better if it wasn't for shortage issues due to ram production, but ultimately 4 years? funny that people were pissed at MS and questioning the support for 360 and now they're crying its taking too long lol.

I expect Sony to have games by the end of the year though to compete with Halo. My point was regarding the 8 months or so between Infamous launching and the new games coming. I think XB1 will makeup some if not all of its early losses during this time.

But your point lacks any substance. You mention focusing on Titanfall which is available on two other platforms, specifically the much cheaper 360 and a 'casual focus' on kinect rivals. If people don't care about kinect by november, there not going suddenly care by next spring because of some rebranding. It's the same excuse I've seen some people use with the Wii U. The product was rejected for a reason.

Fact is neither have much by next spring.

Steph_E.

There's data all around you. You just have to interpret it the right way.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...duty-ghosts-pre-orders-on-next-gen-hesitation

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...over-last-year-still-top-1m-units-first-week/

Both of these point to losing around or more than 0.5 Millions sales. That doesn't just happen for no reason. It means that even among the crowd of people that only play CoD and Madden, there's a clear demand for next-gen consoles. It's there.

Not true. Activision attrribute low pre-orders to the next gen console - whatever the true reason, what else did you expect them to say? Forbes attribute low Madden sales to several possible reasons - not merely the new consoles.
An alternative reason to yours, and just as valid, is that people are sick of buying annual updates.

Ushae

Banned
But your point lacks any substance. You mention focusing on Titanfall which is available on two other platforms, specifically the much cheaper 360 and a 'casual focus' on kinect rivals. If people don't care about kinect by november, there not going suddenly care by next spring because of some rebranding. It's the same excuse I've seen some people use with the Wii U. The product was rejected for a reason.

You say that like MS will just sit on it and expect it to sell itself (which it will toa degree), you can bet they'll market the hell out of this for XB1.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!

See that would be your opinion and what I wrote is mine.

They are confirmed to be a fifth the way there right?

Seems high but I think its totally doable.

Clearly Asia and UK are looking to buy big. US seems to have a healthy following but I can't ignore Microsoft's homeland influence

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Not true. Activision attrribute low pre-orders to the next gen console - whatever the true reason, what else did you expect them to say? Forbes attribute low Madden sales to several possible reasons - not merely the new consoles.
An alternative reason to yours, and just as valid, is that people are sick of buying annual updates.

Their other reasons are valid. But, I don't think this is the year everyone got sick of Madden all at the same time.

Madden '12 First Week : 1.4 Million
Madden '13 First Week : 1.6 Million
Madden '25 First Week : 1.0 Million.

Apparently Madden '12 is %10 up from Madden '11 but I'm not going to trace it's history. Maybe people just decided to keep Madden '13. But, a %40 loss in sales doesn't happen because people got bored. I'm an advocate for the doom and gloom of annual releases too but I don't think this is the year that happens. These things are a combination of a lot of factors but, I think the new consoles are the biggest contributor. It'd be bad to try and assume they aren't a major factor.

Neff

PS4 will sell a lot better than the PS3 did in 2007. The economy has little to do with it, its the end of the gen, sales naturally go down, people still buy iphones and tablets in droves year after year and PS3 went up YoY in 2008-2009-2010 during the years of the first crisis. For one the PS4 is a lot cheaper at launch, 2. the competition is more expensive this time, 3. PS4 has a lot of positive momentum from the media. All the stars have aligned for Sony, they couldn't be in a better position.

Actually, they could. Microsoft could have continued doing what they were doing with Xbone and rode the DRM train to hell, leaving the path clear for Sony to seize absolute world domination. Unfortunately for them, MS did at least regain a shred of sanity at the last minute, cockblocking that idea.

I believe the early adopter market is the exact opposite as what the OP forecasts and eveyone who thinks sales of next gen consoles will be low are in for an unsurprising shock. There is no question the video game market has grown since 2007, with no new excting apple products due to launch (iphone 5s isn't exactly going to set the world ablaze) and Nintendo in the toilet I fully expect both consoles to see stock shortages. I am just glad I already have my console bought and paid for.

Jeels

I expect Sony to have games by the end of the year though to compete with Halo. My point was regarding the 8 months or so between Infamous launching and the new games coming. I think XB1 will makeup some if not all of its early losses during this time.

I'm just not sure where you are getting this idea that Sony will release no games between March and October.

Top Bottom