• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony files patent to enable game emulation across PS1-3

Woffls

Of course this is the solution they'd be going with. I already tried MGS4 on a decent connection (80Mb/s; <20ms) and it was not a good enough experience. I'll keep my PS3, thanks.

I think people think cloud = streaming.
Sony seems to be copying Apple

“iTunes (Playstation) Match
An annual subscription that safely stores all your music in (PlayCloud) iCloud—even songs (games) imported from other sources and not purchased in the iTunes (playstation) Store—and makes it available on up to 10 of your devices and computers.”

That way you dont have to pay publishers? While still profiting from offering emulation.

xrnzaaas

Sony allows PS4 games from PSNow to be downloaded and run locally,

I think the same will happen with PS1, PS2, and PS3 games or there was no reason to mention virtual machine.

The whole point of a virtual machine is to run another system within a system.

I just hope I can play my disk based PS2/PS3 games also.
Does that apply to all games or only selected games? PSNow is not even available in my country at this moment so I'm not really familiar with its features.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
No. The disc medium needs to die.
giphy.gif

teezzy

Banned
If people want the genuine deal, just find an old PS2 and a CRT. That's the only way to do it up. Seriously - it's awesome!

Streaming emulation seems like a promising compromise as long as they don't fumble the ball entirely.

Xbox clearly wins the BC argument, but at least Sony is making an effort.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

If people want the genuine deal, just find an old PS2 and a CRT. That's the only way to do it up. Seriously - it's awesome!

Streaming emulation seems like a promising compromise as long as they don't fumble the ball entirely.

Xbox clearly wins the BC argument, but at least Sony is making an effort.
More like a belated "effort" there was no excuse for them not going to town with backward compatibility for the PS4...I am enjoying the experience of playing Driver San Francisco, after all these years, shame you can't even get that on the PS4, let alone Burnout Revenge..

LordOfChaos

I always thought it was weird that they went 15 years and two generations back to describe the Tempest engine as Cell SPU-like.

I wonder if it's an underpromise, over deliver situation. Not promising anything so that no one can be upset at them, but trying on a per game basis to see if it can handle SPU code not well handled by anything else still.

NickFire

Once we get into two system back territory I just roll me eyes as backwards compatibility. Does nothing for me. All I care about are PS4 games that I still play or might want to.

Dr.Morris79

Once we get into two system back territory I just roll me eyes as backwards compatibility. Does nothing for me. All I care about are PS4 games that I still play or might want to.
Ripping yarn.

I personally want my ps1 and ps2 discs to work on a console that will easily play them.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Cloud gaming.. yeah no. Also this has been said in pretty much every thread but here is another one until it sink in:
Companies patent everything. It doesn’t mean much most of the time.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If Sony can pull this off anywhere near the quality of Xcloud, I'd be down for this. People generally hate cloud gaming because of the notion of input lag. On Xcloud, some experiences when I tried it are playable, others are not. For example, Xcloud currently has Tekken 7 as playable. It's just not a good fit. Other games like Ace Combat seem to be just fine. World of Warships is fine as well. I guess what I'm saying is that slower games, that don't require lightning fast reactions work pretty well for streaming. There's a lot of RPGS in Sony's history I would love to be able to play remotely, especially those I haven't tried yet, like Final Fantasy Zero and tactics. Overall, it's better than getting nothing but PS4's 100 games or so Cerny mentioned.

A.Romero

I just wanted to say that Ken Kutaragi is truly a visionary. He was on top of Gaikai long before we could imagine cloud gaming would be the hottest trend.

That guy surprises me sometimes.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The problem isn’t so much the fact it’s streaming. We have made great strides in reducing input lag and increasing quality. Don’t get me wrong. It’s shit. But it’s not as bad as some make out.

The problem is the exact reason why the PlayStation classic flopped. Nobody wants to play those old arse games with no QOL improvements. It’s painful playing early generation PS1 games, even PS2 can be a pain.

The reason the Xbox BC program is so well loved is simple... you get the games but improved. Faster frame rates, higher resolutions etc

Sadly, you can’t just go in and fix serious things like control issues (remember back in the PS2 days, that twin stick FPS games weren’t really a thing, and I remember being disgusted at Alien Resurrection using it).

But those resolution and frame rate fixes are a massive deal. Most games are 4k on One X, with smooth frame rates. That’s a big deal. Lot of PS1 games...... man, have you played them recently? Ps2 was better but still has a lot of issue towards the start of the generation.

So when you couple in then more than likely being original resolutions and frame rates, but ALSO streaming...?

Yeah, no thank you. I’ll skip that. I want PS5 to have a decent BC, and do believe one day that it will. But streaming in this way? No... this isn’t good, it’s dreadful.

dolabla

Fuck off with this cloud gaming. If you're gonna do that, give the PS5 disc version a native emulation option and leave the digital version to the cloud.

Kokoloko85

There is no technical problem to make bluray drive which reads CD disc. So that's not argument at all.
XBix plays only 30 games, because MS decided to work on backward compatibility of XSX. AFAR Phill was talking about that some time ago. All that games can by played from disc. To be precise when you put disc into your console it's downloaded from servers. It works exactly same as X360 games, disc is only key to run game.

So it can play every OG Xbox game from disc?
But only 30-40 available to download from store?

The ps4 cant play cd’s. maybe they will change it for PS5

kuncol02

Banned
So it can play every OG Xbox game from disc?
But only 30-40 available to download from store?

The ps4 cant play cd’s. maybe they will change it for PS5
It can play ~30 xbox games (for now) both from shop and from disc which is only used to authenticate if you have game, whole game data is downloaded anyway.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

It can play ~30 xbox games (for now) both from shop and from disc which is only used to authenticate if you have game, whole game data is downloaded anyway.

30 games isn’t that impressive as BC has been one of the main focus points of xbox this gen.
I was under the impression OG - X1 is all BC disc based....

30 games isn’t that impressive as BC has been one of the main focus points of xbox this gen.
I was under the impression OG - X1 is all BC disc based....

They stopped adding because they needed to test and make sure whats already compatible works properly on XSX.

That doesnt mean they wont start again once that is done

kuncol02

Banned
They stopped adding because they needed to test and make sure whats already compatible works properly on XSX.

That doesnt mean they wont start again once that is done
And they added like what? 3 batches of XBox games? They barely started with OG XBox games when they moved to XSX.

And they added like what? 3 batches of XBox games? They barely started with OG XBox games when they moved to XSX.

yeah cause it happened at the end of the generation. Like i said, doesnt mean it wont start up again. XSX compatibility is more important right now and rightfully so.

CamHostage

What do you guys have against cloud gaming? Is it just kneejerk Luddite nonsense?

It's fine for what it is (you're right that the kneejerk reaction is a hardcore-only concern that will likely at some point eventually be mooted for the larger populace if some giant can along and solve the price and bandwidth caps issue; there are a number of factors that are stopping the "Netflix of Gaming" from existing, but it happened with music and movies and TV and comics, it's just a matter of time and solutions for it to be the dominant access method for gaming.)

That said, it's not "Backwards Compatibility". This cloud method, that's running some other copy of a game (and only the games registered on the service will be included) on a different machine and then streaming it to your console. It doesn't make my PS5 "compatible" with anything I have.

So, the things I already own, I will have to buy again, and the things I own/want to own that the company will not be able to offer (stuff like EA's PGA Tour games or the 007 games are delisted because the license has expired/changed hands,) I can never get access to in this system. Even if Sony followed the "disc-as-key" system for giving players access to whatever version of the game is made playable on the new platform, that'd at least be something, but this doesn't solve many problems for gamers who collect games because they care about gaming.

Everybody wants backwards Compatibility but nobody uses it.

That's an exaggeration, obviously, that nobody uses it. Low percentages use it. That's still enough IMO for Sony to put effort into it, since A) they could sell the products all over again (though the cloud is a viable method of doing that as well,) and B) it'd shut that super-vocal, large percentage who are demanding it, even though only a low percentage will actually take the time to use it.

And it's totally different teams or staffers who would build these emulators anyway, so it's disingenuous to say that the focus is 100% on the future when Sony could be 99.999% focused on the future and still get this done. They could hire an external studio and use no internal development resources aside from the cash... M2 could use that paycheck. Hell, hire some of the guys in the emulation scene to port "open-source" emu like PCSX and PCSX2 and RPCS3 [and PPSSPP while you're at it,] and then the only internal staffers who'll be really tied up would be the Sony Legal department making sure it could pack these in or put the emulator apps on PSN within accordance of the GNU.

(*Not going to happen, but "legit" is increasingly failing as a business edict. Steam has emulators like RetroArch and 3DSEN, and Google Play is loaded with them. Nothing's stopping everybody else from doing what Sony won't.)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best solution is like Xbox allowing compatible games via disc and download, BUT if a cloud emulation program can allow 100% of PS1-PS3 games that's solid. Messes up disc lovers, but a digital way of emulating it might allow more games to be covered. I think Xbox One's BC was capped at maybe 50 Xbox OG games and 500 360 games and that's it.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Sony are pricks about BC. Six years ago, some glitch happened on their end that allowed a MASS amount of previously non-compatible PSP and PSOne games to be able to be downloaded and played on Vita. I managed to download most of my library and even bought some new games to play on Vita. Then Sony quickly "fixed" the issue and those games become incompatible for play on Vita again. If you downloaded them, you can play them, but if deleted, you could not re-download. Many were never made compatible again.

I honestly never forgave them for this. They literally have hundreds of games ready to go for BC and never moved forward because "fuck you we believe in generations."

Article:

The patent is from 2012 and in case it wasn't obvious, it's about PSNow, not a console.
I didn't notice this was based on a 2012 patent. expected a 2020 article to be from 2020.

I still don't like the idea of cloud based backwards compatibility. Good for those who do though.

Top Bottom