• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FQ3 2005 HW/SW shipments

These numbers are taken from Sony's just released fiscal Q3 (October-December 2005) financial report.

Worldwide hardware production shipments:
-> PS2: 5.36 million units (a decrease of 2.03 million units)
-> PSP: 6.22 million units (an increase of 5.71 million units)
Worldwide software production shipments:
-> PS2: 93 million units (a decrease of 16 million units)
-> PSP: 14.5 million units (an increase of 13.2 million units)

Operating income of Y67.8 billion ($575 million) was recorded,
an increase of Y23.2 billion or 52.1% compared with the same
quarter of the previous fiscal year mainly due to the steady
expansion of the PSP platform in all geographic areas, as well
as the continued favorable performance of the PS2 business.
This increase was partially offset by continued aggressive
research and development spending associated with PLAYSTATION(R)
3, as well as an increase in advertising and promotion expenses
incurred during the quarter.

LINK

Earnings call is scheduled for 8:30AM EST today so perhaps some further word on PS3 unveilings will come to light.

acklame

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000006&sid=aCdA4KdRHtzY&refer=home

$ony

record quarterly profit, revised yearly forecast from loss to profit due to strong sales of bravia & psp

Sony Corp., the world's second- largest consumer electronics maker, reported a record quarterly profit on sales of Bravia TVs and PlayStations, prompting the company to drop its forecast of a first annual loss in 11 years.

Net income rose 18 percent to 168.9 billion yen ($1.5 billion) in the three months ended Dec. 31, from 143.8 billion yen a year earlier, the company said today. Analysts had expected profit to decline. Tokyo-based Sony reversed its full-year forecast to a 70 billion yen profit from a 10 billion yen loss.

Sales climbed 10 percent to a quarterly record of 2.37 trillion yen from 2.15 trillion yen a year earlier. Operating profit, or sales minus the cost of goods sold and administrative expenses, gained 47 percent to 202.8 billion yen, up from 138.2 billion yen profit a year ago.

The median forecast from six analysts in a Bloomberg News survey was for operating profit of 110 billion yen on sales of 2.153 trillion yen.

Operating profit at the electronics division, which includes flat-panel televisions, mobile phones and semiconductors, gained 56 percent to 78.9 billion yen in the quarter.

Profit at the games division, which tracks both hardware and software revenue from the PlayStation video game series, rose 52 percent to 67.8 billion yen.

http://today.reuters.com/investing/...1-26T070603Z_01_T271365_RTRUKOC_0_US-SONY.xml

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp. (6758.T: Quote, Profile, Research) reported a surprise 47 percent jump in quarterly profit on Thursday, helped by a weaker yen, strong sales of a portable game console and a bullish performance by its financial division, prompting it to raise its full-year outlook to an operating profit from a loss.

Sony's brighter prospects reflect windfall gains at its life insurance unit due to Japan's rallying stock market and robust demand for the PlayStation Portable (PSP). That offset a slump in its movie division, which has had trouble scoring hits.

Sony's core electronics unit posted a higher profit in the quarter, helped by a softer yen and cost-cutting efforts which made up for sliding demand for traditional cathode-ray tube TVs and tumbling prices of image sensor chips.

The company also booked strong sales of liquid crystal display (LCD) televisions, notebook personal computers and high-definition video cameras, capitalizing on a bumper year-end shopping season in the United States.

"This is an extremely positive result, easily outstripping expectations," said Mizuho Securities analyst Koichi Hariya.

"I'm really surprised by the electronics division, even if the yen and a strong holiday shopping season were working in its favor. Price competition was fierce and I had my doubts about whether an improvement in profitability was possible."

Sony, Japan's second-largest consumer electronics maker after Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd. (6752.T: Quote, Profile, Research), said its group operating profit came to 202.8 billion yen ($1.75 billion) in the third quarter ended in December, against a profit of 138.2 billion yen a year earlier.

Sales surged 10.2 percent to 2.37 trillion yen.

The profit result handily beat the market consensus for a profit of 92.5 billion yen, according to a poll of seven analysts by Reuters Estimates.

For the full year to March, Sony revised its forecast to an operating profit of 100 billion yen from a loss of 20 billion yen. The market consensus was for a profit of 26 billion yen.

Sony's surprisingly robust quarterly performance will put it in the same camp as Matsushita and Sharp Corp. (6753.T: Quote, Profile, Research), which are also expected to post higher profits when they report next week, mainly due to fast-growing sales of flat TVs.

The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported earlier on Thursday that Sony and South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. (005930.KS: Quote, Profile, Research) were set to start discussions about jointly building another LCD plant for about 300 billion yen to meet demand for LCD TVs.

Sony, widely expected to build new capacity to secure a steady supply of LCD panels to match aggressive investments by Sharp and Matsushita, declined to comment on the report. Sony and Samsung began making LCDs together in a joint venture last year.

The upward revision to Sony's full-year forecast reflects a 17 percent rally in Japan's stock market in the third quarter as Sony has large stock holdings. UBS estimates that a 10 percent rise in the TOPIX index <.TOPX> boosts operating profit in Sony's life insurance unit by 10 billion yen.

Sony said the yen's recent fall against the dollar was another major factor behind the revision, as were brisk sales of its new line-up of Bravia brand LCD TVs, which has pushed its market share significantly higher in the United States and Japan.

But Sony Chief Financial Officer Nobuyuki Oneda cautioned about getting too optimistic. He said he was worried about price declines in LCD TVs and a seasonal drop-off in demand in the fourth quarter.

"The third quarter was solid, but we are not counting on such favorable conditions to continue into the fourth," Oneda told a news conference. "We want to keep a careful eye on conditions in the global market."

Shares in Sony rose 29 percent in October to December, outperforming Tokyo's electrical machinery index (.IELEC.T: Quote, Profile, Research), which gained about 18 percent. Before the announcement, the stock ended up 2.6 percent at 5,080 yen.

GhaleonEB

At least one of my stocks should go up this month.

Edit - Sony is up over 5% in Japan, and I think that was before the earnings release; they put it out at the mid-session break. Should go gangbusters in an hour.

Pedigree Chum said:
Decrease of 2Mil? Time for a price drop!

Oh who am I kidding. PS2 will always stay at $150.

Whenever sales start to go down too much worldwide they'll just drop it to 129 and throw in GT4 with it.

ioi

Banned
ThunderEmperor said:
media creat says psp is 2.9 million in japan.

Yeah well these are Sony shipments.

Actual sell-through is more like:

Japan 2.8m
NA 4.0m
Europe 2.5m

Total 9.3m

Is Sony profiting on PSP already?

If so this bodes very well for PS3 but doesn't quite make sense unless the software + umd movie revenue is more than offsetting the loss on hardware.

Elios83

monkeymagic said:
Is Sony profiting on PSP already?

If so this bodes very well for PS3 but doesn't quite make sense unless the software + umd movie revenue is more than offsetting the loss on hardware.

A loss on hardware which is totally speculative and hypothetical at this point since more than a year has passed since PSP introduction on the market.
The gaming division had a 67.8 billion yen net profit in October-December 2005.

Raistlin

GhaleonEB said:
At least one of my stocks should go up this month.

Edit - Sony is up over 5% in Japan, and I think that was before the earnings release; they put it out at the mid-session break. Should go gangbusters in an hour.

I'd expect a bit of a bump, but SNE is near it's high for the year - I'm not sure I'd expect a large run up.

I sold mine a month ago for a decent short-term profit.

Lo-Volt

Oblivion said:
Isn't Matsuhita no. 1 in the world?

It should be, yes. Matsushita is massive thanks to all its subsidiaries and brands (Panasonic, National in Japan, JVC and JVC-Victor, for example).

Izzy

Banned
Sony's brighter prospects reflect windfall gains at its life insurance unit due to Japan's rallying stock market and robust demand for the PlayStation Portable (PSP). That offset a slump in its movie division, which has had trouble scoring hits.

Sony's core electronics unit posted a higher profit in the quarter, helped by a softer yen and cost-cutting efforts which made up for sliding demand for traditional cathode-ray tube TVs and tumbling prices of image sensor chips.

The company also booked strong sales of liquid crystal display (LCD) televisions, notebook personal computers and high-definition video cameras, capitalizing on a bumper year-end shopping season in the United States.

"This is an extremely positive result, easily outstripping expectations," said Mizuho Securities analyst Koichi Hariya.

Excellent results - Stringer is really turning Sony's fortunes around.

Elios83 said:
A loss on hardware which is totally speculative and hypothetical at this point since more than a year has passed since PSP introduction on the market.
The gaming division had a 67.8 billion yen net profit in October-December 2005.

Well it does indeed look like they are no longer making a loss on the hardware which is impressive considering the technology/screen and the relatively short time it has been on the market.

With that said, I would expect the retail price to hold for at least another 6 months.

Izzy said:
Excellent results - Stringer is really turning Sony's fortunes around.

Yep now they need to stop making movies (apart from Spiderman 3) and concentrate on pimping out their huge back catalogue on UMD and Blu-Ray :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
monkeymagic said:
Yep now they need to stop making movies (apart from Spiderman 3) and concentrate on pimping out their huge back catalogue on UMD and Blu-Ray :D

What about the Silent Hill movie (by Sony Picture Entertainment)? :)

Izzy

Banned
More reports:

Sony Corp., the world's second- largest consumer electronics maker, said it will avoid a first annual loss in 11 years after sales of Bravia flat-screen TVs and PlayStation Portable video-game players beat forecasts.

The company reversed its full-year estimate to a 70 billion yen ($605 million) profit from the 10 billion yen loss it forecast in October, according to a statement today. Net income rose 18 percent to a record 168.9 billion yen in the three months ended Dec. 31, more than double the 63 billion yen median estimate from six analysts surveyed by Bloomberg.

Revived earnings from electronics, which contribute about 70 percent of revenue, are shoring up profit before this year's release of products such as the PlayStation 3 console and Blu-ray high-definition DVD player. Increased sales may help cover the costs of Chief Executive Howard Stringer's 210 billion yen reorganization, which includes job cuts and factory closures.

``Sony's higher forecast is a positive signal that the restructuring and efforts to improve finances and other reforms are leading to results,'' said Shigemi Nonaka, who oversees about $120 million, including Sony stock, as chairman of Polestar Investment Management Co. ``It's a turning point.''

Stringer, 63, is making progress on a three-year revival plan announced in September which includes 10,000 job cuts, 11 factory closures and more investment in chips and TVs. Sony said it will have eliminated 4,500 jobs and closed seven factories by the year ending March 31. The company spent 14.7 billion yen on restructuring in the fiscal third quarter.

Sony's shares in Frankfurt recently rose 7.4 percent to 37.95 euros, or 5,375 yen. That's 5.8 percent higher than the Tokyo close of 5,080 yen.

`Strong' Quarter

``Improved profitability for the Bravia and Vaio computers were a big reason for the strong third quarter,'' Chief Financial Officer Nobuyuki Oneda, said at a news conference in Tokyo.

Bravia LCD TVs were the best-selling brand in the U.S. in the October to December period, with a 30 percent share, Sony said. The company raised its full-year LCD TV shipment target to 2.8 million units from 2.5 million units forecast in October.

A weaker yen and rally in the Japanese stock market also helped boost earnings, Oneda said. The currency added about 23.6 billion yen to operating profit and Sony's finance business gained about 48 billion yen.

``We can't be overly optimistic because these market conditions may not continue,'' he said.

The movie studios business had a 400 million yen loss, the only division to post a loss, as releases including ``The Legend of Zorro'' and ``Zathura'' missed sales targets, today's statement showed. The unit had a 18.6 billion yen profit a year earlier.

Sony will seek box office success in May with a film based on the best-selling novel ``The Da Vinci Code.''

Stock Outperforms

Shares of Sony have risen 38 percent in the last three months, outpacing the 18 percent gain in the Nikkei 225 Stock Average, and rivals Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. and Sharp Corp. which have advanced about 27 percent.

Earnings per share rose to 161.60 yen in the fiscal third quarter from 138.08 yen a year earlier. The earnings announcement came after the market close.

Sales climbed 10 percent to a quarterly record of 2.37 trillion yen from 2.15 trillion yen a year earlier. Operating profit, or sales minus the cost of goods sold and administrative expenses, gained 47 percent to 202.8 billion yen, up from 138.2 billion yen profit a year ago.

The median forecast from six analysts in a Bloomberg News survey was for operating profit of 110 billion yen on sales of 2.153 trillion yen.

Samsung Venture

A key to Sony's revival is its LCD panel-making venture with Samsung Electronics Co., which allows Sony to lower production costs and develop products faster. Sony in November said it will invest 10 billion yen in S-LCD Corp., the venture set up in April 2004, to raise panel output by 25 percent.

``Sony's flat-panel televisions were the key driver of growth during the Christmas season, especially as they were able to procure panels from Samsung venture,'' said Keita Wakabayashi, an analyst at Mito Securities Research in Tokyo.

Operating profit at the electronics division, which includes TVs, mobile phones and chips, gained 56 percent to 78.9 billion yen in the quarter.

In Japan, Sony's share of the LCD TV market rose to 28 percent in December, almost doubling from October, according to a Jan. 17 report from Tokyo-based researcher BCN.

PlayStation 3

Operating profit at the games division, which track hardware and software revenue from the PlayStation video game series, rose 52 percent to 67.8 billion yen. Sales rose 48 percent to a record 419.2 billion yen.

The PS3 is Sony's most expensive endeavor into the video game business as the console runs on the Cell processor, Sony's fastest chip produced, and also features the Blu-ray disc, which can store at least five times more content than current DVDs.

Sony's Blu-ray is battling Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD format to win industry and consumer backing as the next high-definition DVD standard -- reminiscent of the Video Home System (VHS) and Betamax battle in the 1980s. Toshiba earlier this month said they will come out with an HD DVD player in March, about six months ahead of Sony's Blu-ray players.

The company has said the PlayStation 3 will come out in ``spring,'' which would be about three to six months behind Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox 360 which was launched in November.

German report (Yahoo-biz):

Tokio (AFP) - Der japanische Elektronik- und Unterhaltungskonzern Sony erwartet nach einem erfolgreichen dritten Quartal nun auch für das gesamte Geschäftsjahr ein Plus. Der Nettogewinn zwischen Oktober und Dezember lag mit 168,9 Milliarden Yen (1,2 Milliarden Euro) mehr als 17 Prozent über dem Vorjahresergebnis, wie Sony in Tokio mitteilte. Grund dafür waren vor allem die hohen Umsätze im Geschäft mit Videospielen, was vor allem am Erfolg der Spielekonsole Playstation Portable lag.

Hinzu kamen für Sony günstige Wechselkursverhältnisse. Sony revidierte daher seine frühere Vorhersage, wonach für das gesamte Geschäftsjahr, das im März endet, ein Nettoverlust von zehn Milliarden Yen erwartet worden war. Der japanische Konzern rechnet nun mit einem Plus von 70 Milliarden Yen.

PSP and Bravia were the real winners for Sony here.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
A key to Sony's revival is its LCD panel-making venture with Samsung Electronics Co., which allows Sony to lower production costs and develop products faster. Sony in November said it will invest 10 billion yen in S-LCD Corp., the venture set up in April 2004, to raise panel output by 25 percent.

Apparently this venture was entered into by Kutaragi when he was president of the electronics division.

ioi said:
Yeah well these are Sony shipments.

Actual sell-through is more like:

Japan 2.8m
NA 4.0m
Europe 2.5m

Total 9.3m

:lol :lol :lol

I absolutely knew that this would drive brosh bonkers as well as other DS fans.

You're trying to claim that Sony has over 5.7M units in transit and on store shelves??

Time to abandon your "estimations" of worldwide PSP sales, I'd say. I'm not claiming they're anywhere near 15M units, but your lowballing every single number.

The end result of all of this is that the DS is the fastest selling system of all time and the PSP is the second fastest selling system of all time. It's pretty remarkable and is good news for fans of both systems.

Izzy

Banned
sonycowboy said:

You're trying to claim that Sony has over 5.7M units in transit and on store shelves??

Time to abandon your "estimations" of worldwide PSP sales, I'd say. I'm not claiming they're anywhere near 15M units, but your lowballing every single number.

The end result of all of this is that the DS is the fastest selling system of all time and the PSP is the second fastest selling system of all time. It's pretty remarkable and is good news for fans of both systems.

European number is particularly suspect. One thing is certain - January NPD thread will be hilarious.

Mmmkay

Izzy said:
The Colonel? Why not ask Major Nelson? I'm sure he'd have intersting figures to offer, too.

It was the 'FACT' in capital letters which convinced me! Yeah I know, don't go to your competitor to find out how well you're doing. Just evidencing ioi's paper trail :)

Mook1e

Mmmkay said:
It was the 'FACT' in capital letters which convinced me! Yeah I know, don't go to your competitor to find out how well you're doing. Just evidencing ioi's paper trail :)
Don't tell Jarrod it's not a FACT becuase I could swear he thinks the 2.5 million PSPs in EU number was brought down off a mountain by The Colonel on a stone tablet.
The other tablet had 500,000 for Asia Pacific. (Dispite 200,000 from South Korea alone way back in October and PSP dominance being reported everywhere in South East Asia) :lol

sonycowboy said:

I always think that posts like these are quite interesting. We have market researchers in Japan and the USA and there estimations should be quite near to the reality (more than a +/- 10% discrepancy to the 'real'* numbers with strong selling hardwares like PS2, PSP, DS or whatever would imho be a catastrophe for companies like Media Create or NPD). And we also have certain information from Canada that suggest that PSP' till the end of 2005 where probably 200-300k (and definitely [that's a fact] not near to 700k or sth. crazy like that). So what exactly is your point? According to Sony there are 5.81m units in America and looking at the GDP's of countries like Brazil or Argentina I highly doubt that Middle + South America could even come close to 10% of the US market size. According to NPD there are ~3.633m sold through and the sell through for America is probably only a bit over 4 million. So what is your point? There ARE obviously a ton of units lying either on the shelves or somewhere else.

* real: If you would count every single unit that has been sold in stores and not only 50 or 60% of the market and extrapolate the rest

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Someone explain to me how major market researchers in all 3 major territories are a mighty 30% off.

There is only one explanation: They aren't off and Sony has mighty huge warehouses.

Mook1e

elostyle said:
Someone explain to me how major market researchers in all 3 major territories are a mighty 33% off.

There is only one explanation: They aren't off and Sony has mighty huge warehouses.
What major market researcher in EU (besides Sony's competitor) has said PSP sold 2.5 million?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Frankfurter said:
There ARE obviously a ton of units lying either on the shelves or somewhere else.
So you're expecting Sony to ship fewer PSPs in 2006 than 2005, right? Since the demand for the PSP clearly isn't there...

kaching said:
So you're expecting Sony to ship fewer PSPs in 2006 than 2005, right? Since the demand for the PSP clearly isn't there...

I am expecting nothing. I am only pointing out that there is a margin between sold through and Sony's shipments that looks suspicious.

Pimpwerx

sonycowboy said:

Hehe, I've been saying this for a while now. Those shipments keep increasing (over 6M in Q3 alone), which means there's either an unprecedented amount of confidence from retailers (buying stock that some claim isn't moving as fast), or the damn trackers aren't catching everything.

Units aren't shipped into a vaccuum. There must be some demand on the other end for shipments to continue to increase. They outshipped the DS (as expected based on their increased shipping forecast last year), the fastest-selling system to date. Shipped != sold, but there's no fucking way ioi and jarrod's numbers are even remotely close to reality. 2.5M in EU? That would mean more units on shelves/transit than actual units sold. Preposterous. I'm not directing this at you, sonycowboy, by any means. But I figured it had to be said.

Shipments normalize over time. Back in 2000, I thought we'd agreed on trackers being inherently flawed, and thus unreliable for determining installed userbases. This is back when the PS2 was stomping a mudhole in everything. I don't know why such great importance has been placed on tracker numbers now, when the same problems exist. The numbers get disputed all the time. Shipping figures are more reliable, though they won't help anyone win the fanboy wars on who's userbase is larger. All IMO. Flame on. ;) PEACE.

elostyle said:
Someone explain to me how major market researchers in all 3 major territories are a mighty 30% off.

Do we know what regions the PSP is selling in, that aren't the US & Japan? I know we got some Canadian numbers, but I don't remember if we got actual HW numbers or not.

Sony, specifically states this about thier shipments to the "Japan" region.

"*Figures for Japan include shipments to Asian countries and regions including South Korea."

And If you look at Playstation.com, you'll see that they have links for:

c2.gif
c3.gif
c4.gif
c5.gif
c6.gif
c7.gif
c8.gif
c9.gif
c10.gif
c11.gif
c12.gif
c13.gif
c14.gif
c17.gif
c18.gif

And each of those sites has PSP stuff plastered all over the pages, leading one to think that the PSP is offered in those regions.

Mrbob

Are we still transcribing to the 2.5 million Euro 'fact' still?

But...but...but...some random GAF poster posted the news so it must be fact.

As Phoenix Wright would say, "OBJECTION!"

Then post official Sony numbers.

Those Euro numbers fall in line with software sales too, which are much better on the PSP than they are on the DS.

Oh and Sir Howard Stringer will bring Sony back to greatness!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Why do people think that Sony will ship double the amount of PSPs to stores than they can sell?

kaching said:
You're certainly expecting that you're right that there's a "ton of units" not sold through yet.

My "I am expecting nothing." was adressed to your post where you tried to get me into some kind of future expectation of the PSP shipments.

Top Bottom