• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FQ3 2005 HW/SW shipments

Vince

Banned
gofreak said:
Apparently this venture was entered into by Kutaragi when he was president of the electronics division.

Most of the changes where begun under Nobuyuki Idei, but after the semi-forced resignation the benefits of the initial work will go to Sir Stringer.

gofreak said:
Or the Da Vinci Code? Or BOND?!?

The Da Vinci Code is going to be like printing money for Sony. Not only did I endure months upon months of people reading that damned book everywhere, but it's directed by Fonzi's buddy Ron Howard, with Tom Hanks. Everything Ron Howard touches turns into an Academy Award lately.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Frankfurter said:
My "I am expecting nothing." was adressed to your post where you tried to get me into some kind of future expectation of the PSP shipments.
Yeah, I asked a question that seemed logical to ask of you given that you seem very confident of the fact that tons of units haven't been sold through, suggesting that demand is significantly lower than the supply Sony is offering. That would naturally catch up with Sony at some point because retailers wouldn't continue to order the device.

If you feel confident enough to believe the demand isn't there, I don't see why you should have any trouble answering the question I put to you.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Vince said:
The Da Vinci Code is going to be like printing money for Sony. Not only did I endure months upon months of people reading that damned book everywhere, but it's directed by Fonzi's buddy Ron Howard, with Tom Hanks. Everything Ron Howard touches turns into an Academy Award lately.

What else has Ron Howard directed lately?

Vince

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
What else has Ron Howard directed lately?

Off the top-of-my-head:

A Beautiful Mind, Apollo 13, Cinderella Man, Randsom, Backdraft...

PS. Your icon disturbs me! ;)

kaching said:
If you feel confident enough to believe the demand isn't there, I don't see why you should have any trouble answering the question I put to you.

The reason why I won't answer this question is that I unfortunately can't look into the future. Sony could (and most likely will) drop the price of PSP, Square Enix could announce a new Final Fantasy and a new Dragon Quest for PSP (not very likely but still) and about a hundred other things.
Even only with a 'solid' lineup and a price drop to 199 Euro/Dollar Sony could (and probably will) still be able to get more sales this year (especially in Europe with 12 months vs. 4). Yeah, I have a lot of trouble answering this question.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Frankfurter said:
The reason why I won't answer this question is that I unfortunately can't look into the future.
I didn't think you could, but since you're willing to extrapolate the absolute gap between psp production shipments reported by Sony and consumer sell-through as only estimated inconsistently by retail trackers across regions, I didn't think doing an extrapolation on 2006 productions shipments would be such a problem.

Sony could (and most likely will) drop the price of PSP, Square Enix could announce a new Final Fantasy and a new Dragon Quest for PSP (not very likely but still) and about a hundred other things.
Even only with a 'solid' lineup and a price drop to 199 Euro/Dollar Sony could (and probably will) still be able to get more sales this year (especially in Europe with 12 months vs. 4). Yeah, I have a lot of trouble answering this question.
See? That wasn't so hard.

Mook1e

elostyle said:
Caught pants down. Well, make that 2 territories.

We've got tracking from 3 countries through 2005. JP, US, UK.

The rest of the world is a big ?

I know those are the biggest markets (kind of, UK is only part of the big European market) but the Asia Pacific region was exploding with PSP love last year, especially South Korea.
I would expect PSP sales to be about 300K-500K total for just South Korea in 2005 and jarrod et al were using 500,000 for the entire region.

Even DS' numbers would benefit from accurate worldwide tracking.
My point is just that we don't have that right now and shipped units should really be all we care about (that and Software sales)

I'm even willing to accept that UMD movies were a big percentage of the content sales for PSP (what was it 11 million games to 4+ million UMDs at the last count that included them?)

The fact is. PSP and DS are selling like gangbusters and it's closer than any of the fanboys want to admit.

mckmas8808 said:
Why do people think that Sony will ship double the amount of PSPs to stores than they can sell?

Reggie has one hell of a slideshow being prepared for E3, and Sony needs to match it.

If it means inventory in wearhouses, so be it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
It really wouldn't make sense for Sony just to ship a shitload more hardware just to make their numbers sound more impressive than they actually are. I mean, every PS2 and PSP costs Sony money to make, so it would have been a different story if they were free, but that's not the case. But if Sony is really selling that many, why not simply use "sold" numbers then?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Well Sony stocks up units for the holiday season, because you can never have "to many" units availeble in November and December. I think they sell a lot of those stocked up units during this time, like 40% of the total year sales are from this period. So I think especially in the slow months prior to the holiday season Sony has a shitload of units sitting in warehouses and stuff. But the weird thing is that we aren't really in a pre-holiday season period, but rather in a post one. So I think their stock should be at one of their lower points. So either the sale numbers are incorrect or Sony didn't match their sale expectations. Weird stuff.....

fronn

Oblivion said:
But if Sony is really selling that many, why not simply use "sold" numbers then?

Likely because Sony consistantly uses Shipped numbers? They are always higher (unless you have a situation like X360, where the sold and shipped are likely the same at the end of the week). And the only people who really care about actaul sales are publishers and silly forumites. The stockholders are generally fine with knowing they've shipped a lot. Who are the "sold" numbers going to impress (that actually matter and can't otherwise get accurate numbers) that shipped numbers won't impress more? The stockholders likely don't know the difference, so a higher number is better.

I would say, the relative closeness of Shipped to Sold numbers are completely irrelevant to the point of releasing the numbers in the first place.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
fronn said:
Likely because Sony consistantly uses Shipped numbers? They are always higher (unless you have a situation like X360, where the sold and shipped are likely the same at the end of the week). And the only people who really care about actaul sales are publishers and silly forumites. The stockholders are generally fine with knowing they've shipped a lot. Who are the "sold" numbers going to impress (that actually matter and can't otherwise get accurate numbers) that shipped numbers won't impress more? The stockholders likely don't know the difference, so a higher number is better.

I would say, the relative closeness of Shipped to Sold numbers are completely irrelevant to the point of releasing the numbers in the first place.

So why don't Nintendo or MS use shipped numbers (welll, for most of their PR anyway)?

Top Bottom