• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY2014 Q4 (Jan-Mar 2015) Earnings (2.4m PS4 + 400k PS3, 450k PSP+PSV)

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
What weak lineup? Sony has been pumping games non-stop...oh wait are we back talking about "Sony has no games this holiday season...again?!

Heavy hitter has been bloodborne without a doubt however some of their other exclusives I feel could have done better, infamous was decent/good, the order I am not even going to begin with that problem. Until Dawn, that is a toss up. I would really like to see some heavy hitters much like bloodborne, plus I am getting tired of remasters. If Uncharted was this year then we would be singing a bit of a different tune, to an extent.

Toki767

depends on what xbox has exclusive wise, sony's have been few and far between and some of them just havent been good,Sony may lose this holidays npd sales again this year due to a weak line up again

meh maybe your right maybe your not it depends on who is buying the system and if they have been doing their homework on the hardware. However how does sony compete with a halo game during the holiday? It doesn't

It's a good thing the US isn't the world for Sony like it is for Microsoft.

Conduit

Banned
depends on what xbox has exclusive wise, sony's have been few and far between and some of them just havent been good,Sony may lose this holidays npd sales again this year due to a weak line up again

meh maybe your right maybe your not it depends on who is buying the system and if they have been doing their homework on the hardware. However how does sony compete with a halo game during the holiday? It doesn't

Don't start a listwar. Sony has way more games than competitors. Your problem if you play only AAA games. What, only Holidays counts?

TheStruggler

It's a good thing the US isn't the world for Sony like it is for Microsoft.

I get that however I am just stating ndp but also the world is going to catch halo fever its, one of those games that just sell, this holiday im not so sure sony has one of those.

orochi91

Heavy hitter has been bloodborne without a doubt however some of their other exclusives I feel could have done better, infamous was decent/good, the order I am not even going to begin with that problem. Until Dawn, that is a toss up. I would really like to see some heavy hitters much like bloodborne, plus I am getting tired of remasters. If Uncharted was this year then we would be singing a bit of a different tune, to an extent.

US holiday performance doesn't mean much since the PS4 will just generate more sales world wide during the holidays.

World wide gap will just continue to grow, regardless of how XB1 performs in the US.

I get that however I am just stating ndp but also the world is going to catch halo fever its, one of those games that just sell, this holiday im not so sure sony has one of those.

Lol Halo only does big numbers in primary Xbox markets, those being the US and UK.

Even then it remains to be seen how much pull the Halo franchise has left in those 2 territories :/

Hoo-doo

Banned

Do you honestly think they are bothered by barely losing two months of the year in the US when they are doing twice the numbers of the XB1 worldwide almost every single month of the year?

TheStruggler

Don't start a listwar. Sony has way more games than competitors. Your problem if you play only AAA games. What, only Holidays matters?

you see a list anywhere i stated one game for the holiday, im just saying from a point of view I wonder/wish sony had a heavy hitter to lead into the holidays and not just rely on multiplats

When you run a global business like Sony Playstation, the suits there are overall more concerned with worldwide numbers than just USA NPD figures.

Sure MS may grab the US by a couple hundred thousand at most during holidays, but Sony make this up more than enough in the rest of the world where MS is dead (except UK). I doubt Halo 5 can even reverse this trend.

The fact that PS4 shipments alone this quarter are nearly 2:1 with XBone+360 combined should open your eyes.

TheStruggler

Do you honestly think they are bothered by barely losing two months of the year in the US when they are doing twice the numbers of the XB1 worldwide almost every single month of the year?

no but it is disappointing a little as a sony gamer that their holiday this year much like last might be a bit bare

orochi91

you see a list anywhere i stated one game for the holiday, im just saying from a point of view I wonder/wish sony had a heavy hitter to lead into the holidays and not just rely on multiplats

Why though?

They release big exclusives throughout the year, and will likely have at least 1 big AAA exclusive for the holidays.

Let the multiplats do the work during holidays and exclusives all year around.

Ray Down

Banned
Good to see that Vita is still kicking. It proves that it's still possible to revive the system. But Sony will ignore it as always.

user222437_pic71490_1370609620_thumb.png

Celine

Which is what I expected since I saw the Wii explosion as an anomaly. The actual Nintendo fans who bought a Wii is most likely closer to what GameCube sold, which makes those other 100 million a new demographic that nobody in console gaming is targeting any longer.

This generation is going to be a severe contraction, but it's only going to be a contraction of the previous gen's explosion of new waggle console gamers.
Everything except PS4 is likely going to have a lower LTD compared to the predecessor this gen IMO.

Hoo-doo

Banned
no but it is disappointing a little as a sony gamer that their holiday this year much like last might be a bit bare

Well, personally I do not really care for Halo so I don't feel this way. Games don't suddenly get better because they are released during a holiday season. Nobody will be starved for games anywhere.

I mean fuck, we got Bloodborne in March. Probably one of the best games i'll play all year.

AniHawk

Which is what I expected since I saw the Wii explosion as an anomaly. The actual Nintendo fans who bought a Wii is most likely closer to what GameCube sold, which makes those other 100 million a new demographic that nobody in console gaming is targeting any longer.

This generation is going to be a severe contraction, but it's only going to be a contraction of the previous gen's explosion of new waggle console gamers.

sony's handheld market, nintendo's handheld market, and microsoft's console market will probably also contract. i'm estimating about 244m units of hardware for the current gen (or gen 8), and arbitrarily subtracting 100m from gen 7's numbers don't get you there by a long shot.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

I don't understand your line of logic here. Do you already have a PS4? If you do why does it matter if Sony has a good or great game released during the holidays or not? A great game can be released anytime in the year and if you already own a console then the timing of the release would not make any difference to you.

TheStruggler

Why though?

They release big exclusives throughout the year, and will likely have at least 1 big AAA exclusive for the holidays.

Let the multiplats do the work during holidays and exclusives all year around.

What has been big so far other than bloodborne? again recently the games they have been putting out havent knocked anything out of the park. So far their best game has been bloodborne, maybe sony needs to get more in a groove

Toki767

The whole argument is pretty silly when people tend to ignore the elephant in the room of Microsoft not really releasing anything major outside of the last 3 months of the year.

I'd take 9 months of steady releases over 3 months at the end of the year when I'm too busy to play games anyway.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
What has been big so far other than bloodborne? again recently the games they have been putting out havent knocked anything out of the park. So far their best game has been bloodborne, maybe sony needs to get more in a groove

Do we really have to go through lists of games again? We already had similar threads over and over every few days?

This sounds like concern trolling.

orochi91

Here you go.

http://www.listwar.com/

Have fun.

Probably is.

Either way, Sony has no need to change it's strategy as far as I'm concerned, given how successful they've been with the PS4.

I doubted them real hard going into last year's holiday season (even got banned lol), but the PS4 continued to sell well and considerably expand its global market share.

TheStruggler

I don't understand your line of logic here. Do you already have a PS4? If you do why does it matter if Sony has a good or great game released during the holidays or not? A great game can be released anytime in the year and if you already own a console then the timing of the release would not make any difference to you.

releasing a heavy hitter near the end of the year would drive sales even more. However it's nice to have a big holiday game release, do I mind if they span them out no, but last holiday was dry

Hoo-doo

Banned

You have some weird expectations. Go read up on what the competition had that 'knocked it out of the park' in terms of exclusives.

TheStruggler

Do we really have to go through lists of games again? We already had similar threads over and over every few days?

how is me stating my opinion about wanting and wondering if they have a holiday hitter trolling???

And I dont need a list I said bloodborne has been a major hit so far everyything else has been ok/good.

Sid

Also the handhelds are selling worse compared to their predecessors especially the Vita which is doing horribly....

Ty4on

Standard accounting practice requires you to value inventory at the lower of cost or market, i.e. the cost to produce it or the market value of it. They've revalued the inventory holdings of Vita components to reflect their lower market value because it's a dead dead dead system, and so have to record a write-down.
Silly Sony, it shipped 450k!
Interesting how nobody wants the PCH1000.

YoY drop is quite big. A lot is probably the launch, but it still seems like a good time for a price drop.

Conduit

Banned
releasing a heavy hitter near the end of the year would drive sales even more. However it's nice to have a big holiday game release, do I mind if they span them out no, but last holiday was dry

LOL! Hell no! But i'm done here. "PS4 has no gamez" force is strong in this one.

orochi91

how is me stating my opinion about wanting and wondering if they have a holiday hitter trolling???

And I dont need a list I said bloodborne has been a major hit so far everyything else has been ok/good.

Dude, Sony doesn't have a Halo caliber game anymore this Holiday season.

Uncharted 4 got delayed.

Incidentally, what really drove XB1 sales last holiday was the price cut + AC:U/AC:BF bundle.

XB1 exclusives (FH 2 and SO) didn't sell well at all :/

Game Guru

sony's handheld market, nintendo's handheld market, and microsoft's console market will probably also contract. i'm estimating about 244m units of hardware for the current gen (or gen 8), and arbitrarily subtracting 100m from gen 7's numbers don't get you there by a long shot.

Yeah, everything's contracting except Sony's console market.

Faustek

hmm, something is really weird.

Japan only had around 1.15 million PSV sold last yea, PSP+PSVTV at 160k.
That leaves 2 million Vitas out there and the US is...well lets say I can probably find more Vitas in my home than there are usually sold per month.
PSP is mostly dead as a HW device in the west, still selling software in Europe(lol at outselling XBO software in some countries).
Anyway, that leaves 2 million Vita devices. While I would love to think that Europe as a whole has good taste and dream about an Vita utopia(would fit me well) that doesn't add up.

Did the ROTW really enjoy the Vita that much? Has Sony been funnelling in Vitas in Asia? Is Europe really that in love with the Vita? As I thought last year when I did the numbers? Can someone just infiltrate Sony and tell me where the hell the Vita has been selling to justify those 2 extra million devices....and No not even Dave can buy them all.

Note: I assume that retailers aren't so stupid that they would use Vitas as isolation.

Every single multiplatform game.
Go dress in some urban camo, hide in a game store. Wait and listen to the people who enter.

But it'll be better on PS4

There's Sony's big game all year around.

Aceofspades

Banned

I don't know what your definition of BIG game. sales? reviews? budget?

I have enjoyed DC and The Order, Helldivers, and Axium Verge among other games that you won't find anywhere else.

Also you seem to have a really high standard for "Big hitters" and by your standard X1 doesn't have any Big games at all while PS4 at least have Bloodborne which is excellent.

Elios83

Halo fever? :D
Halo is a series that has peaked long ago and was dethroned by COD as the prime console shooter series even on Xbox.
As far as I know fans were not happy with Halo 4 and certainly not with Halo:MCC :p
So no, Halo is certainly a big title for MS but it's not something that can change things.
There is absolutely no problem with the PS4 holiday lineup, they have all the biggest names, all the biggest sellers running better on the platform, they have way more indies and a few japanese exclusives as well coming up (+ the unannounced stuff they will announce at E3). They have made all the right marketing deals and they will have all the right bundles.
Whoever wins will be ultimately determined by price and deals. Last year MS had the best deals by far and they took Nov+Dec in the US.
This year PS4 will get its first price cut and that will surely have an impact so we'll see how things will unfold ;)

Mung

What I've learned in this thread is that only games released in the holidays matter.

Someone should tell Sony.

Their strategy of releasing games throughout the year is clearly ridiculous. The only thing that matters is winning the holidays (in the US).

Sid

244m seems huge for this gen,I think even 200 is pushing it if PS4 and Xbone's sales are more front loaded and this gen will be a 1-2 years shorter than the last one

Alo0oy

Banned

Bloodborne is better than all next gen games on both consoles combined, so I don't really get your point.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, everything is reverting back to normal, as far as I'm concerned.

Sony will have a significant market share, followed by a distant second placing console (XB1).

If the total install base of this gen is much reduced from last gen it wouldn't be good for the rising costs of game development though. Do people have numbers on how well software's doing this gen as compared to previous gen? Digital stores and dlc probably make it hard to determine whether companies have revenues that matches increasing costs.

TheStruggler

What I've learned in this thread is that only games released in the holidays matter.

Someone should tell Sony.

Their strategy of releasing games throughout the year is clearly ridiculous. The only thing that matters is winning the holidays (in the US).

did i say only holidays matter, I said i dont mind if they span them out.

Bloodborne is better than all next gen games on both consoles combined, so I don't really get your point.

That we can agree on, its more of an opinion but I agree with it definitely

Game Guru

Yea, everything is reverting back to normal, as far as I'm concerned.

Sony will have a significant market share, followed by a distant second placing console (XB1).

It's not quite normal... The Nintendo handheld is doing worse than it should be, but the 3DS is absolutely dominating the Vita so the market has reverted to Sony console domination and Nintendo handheld domination.

AniHawk

244m seems huge for this gen,I think even 200 is pushing it if PS4 and Xbone's sales are more front loaded and this gen will be a 1-2 years shorter than the last one

i'm going with ps4 - 100m, 3ds - 60m, xb1 - 60m, wii u - 12m, vita - 12m

just as a sort of ballpark thing for each. it can fluctuate more between the xb1 and ps4 i think. the others look more or less set.

Really starting to rake in money from software and network sales looking at the chart.

True! I was thinking the same thing. Sony must be relatively happy with the software attach ratio.

Also does "network" only encompass stuff like PS+ and other subscriptions?

If the total install base of this gen is much reduced from last gen it wouldn't be good for the rising costs of game development though. Do people have numbers on how well software's doing this gen as compared to previous gen? Digital stores and dlc probably make it hard to determine whether companies have revenues that matches increasing costs.

Good point about the install base not supporting rising development costs.

Maybe this is why we get increased prices for DLC like Batman Arkham Knights crazy $40 season pass.
Or WB's greed

orochi91

This why I don't expect this gen to be shorter than the last one.

A new generation of consoles coming out earlier would be insanely expensive for all parties involved (developers, publishers and console makers).

Top Bottom