• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony FY22Q4 Earnings Report - 6.3m PS5 sold, 61% YoY growth (~340 HW growth)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The next time someone shares a Takashi Bloomberg article against Sony, show them this quarter's financial reports and then the following Takashi tweet:

Mark Cuban No GIF

Absolutely gigantic quarter, PS5 made up 3.9 million on PS4 and only trails by 1.8 million launched aligned. Sony forecasts a massive 25 million for the current FY which is 5 million more than PS4's FY 2016/17 so they expect PS5 to be around 3 million above PS4 by this time next year.

bzTSEFK.png

2E97hYU.png

PS5 had the best FY2 of any Playstation console and if they can hit their target in FY3 it will be another record for a Playstation console and will only be behind DS which shipped 30.31 million in FY3.

OQ3iCQL.png

xFWgjsT.png

* Q4 remaining, forecast to ship 18 million

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It said decrease in losses from hardware.

That means they are still making losses, but less than the comparative period. Hence it's a positive.
PSVR2 launched and they made multiple console revisions (which do cost money to produce, manufacture, etc…). Also they said they would work hard to solve manufacturing bottlenecks and they did, but that also has a fixed cost to it too.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
$499 broke even $399 taking a lost , the digital model is more available now

Bro, do simple maths....the digital version sells like 1/4 to 1/5th of the disk....it doesn't add up.

So what are you suggesting the digital loses? Enough to wipe out half of your operating income.... 30% to 15%?

Last edited:

Alex Scott

Bro, do simple maths....the digital version sells like 1/4 to 1/5th of the disk....it doesn't add up.

So what are you suggesting the digital loses? Enough to wipe out half of your operating income.... 30% to 15%?
IF they make 5 dollar profit on disc model, then it its like 95 dollar loss on PS5 digital. This is equal to 700 million dollar loss in two years. I did the math in my head and this is what I think.

I swear Jim Ryan was presenting and showed a graph of PS5 where PS5 was going to be profitable in couple of months, but I don't know if they had numbers on the graph.

Last edited:

onQ123

The hell? I didn't say that I was pointing out the things that would lead to a decrease

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
IF they make 5 dollar profit on disc model, then it its like 95 dollar loss on PS5 digital. This is equal to 700 million dollar loss in two years. I did the math in my head and this is what I think.

I swear Jim Ryan was presenting and showed a graph of PS5 where PS5 was going to be profitable in couple of months, but I don't know if they had numbers on the graph.
There you go mate.

uX39TeT.jpg

Mahavastu

Impressive numbers!
Are there anywhere the number of PSVR2 sales? Sorry, I do not have time to read the full release for a few hours 🙄

By the way, EOY 2022 figures were like:
  • PS5 = 32 million
  • Xbox Series = 18.5 million
End of Q1 2023 would be:
  • PS5 = 38.5 million
  • Xbox Series = ~20.5 million (keeping previous pacing trends the same)
So the worldwide ratio is already almost 2:1 now. 1.9x, to be precise.
This basically means we're heading into 2:1 territory faster this gen than last one right? Holy shit...

Top Bottom