• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony hints that the PS4 lifecycle may be shorter than PS3

Alchemy

6 years is perfect. Hardware is cheaper than previous generations at launch, great architecture for backwards compatibility, and advances rather easily without having to throw away existing tools. Avoid franchise fatigue by having entire trilogies on the same system and stay a step ahead of the competition without feeling like you're abandoning anything too early.

Do it Sony!

Horp

I heard a rumor that PS5 will do 3D graphics in 1080p 60fps.
Crazy tech wizards, the future is soon here.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
The must have console of Xmas 2019. Believe.

And then we'll also see the Xbox Two-Twenty.

Ashadur

Neo Member
You make backwards compatible a certainty for future consoles and i won't have a problem upgrading the system in 3-6 years.

Some Nobody

Year 1: Focus on establishing your market, reach 5-10 million consumers, most games still crossgen.
Year 2: Market growth continues, releases for last gen begin to slow, crossgen titles almost nonexistent, price drop of $50 for the PS4, $100 for the Xbox One for the holidays.
Year 3: Developers begin to get comfortable with the systems, learning better tricks. Games that truly tap into the PS4/XBone's abilities become more common. At this point all PR bullshit has faded and gamers know what to expect from the gen as a whole. Rumors of new SKUs start to pop up.
Year 4: PS4/XBone become the primary systems on the market as support for the PS360 consoles stop almost entirely. New SKUs debut, a "sleek" PS4 and an "upgraded" XBone are released. (By this time the next Nintendo system may well be out. Hopefully it'll be more powerful than the PS4 and XBone, but more than likely nowhere near as powerful as what the PS5 will be later.)
Year 5: Business as usual, games games games.
Year 6: Announce new systems at the top of the year, release them near the end or the start of the seventh year.

Something like that.

tazz3

I would like to see ps5 in 6 years.7 year cycle is to long.this might be my last gen iam retiring from gaming after this hen

Pimpbaa

Short lifecycles are definitely better considering the pace of GPU advancement. I got a feeling Sony and MS will keep the same architecture (but with more powerful GPUs, CPUs, and RAM), making BC much easier.

False

As long as they keep x86 architecture for backwards compatibility and a $400 at most price point, I'm okay with a quicker generation turn around.

Maybe true. If there is a big gulf (which probably is the case) between PS4 and XB1, I expect MS to start work on a next console early too (new CEO willing)

5 to 6 years with sustained support from Japanese devs after those years would be perfect. Looking forward to seeing Persona 6 on ps4 after its life cycle is over.

All of this makes me wonder about Nintendo. They can't make the Wii U last six years - they should have a successor in 2016-7. They should have no problem releasing a console more powerful than the PS4 (assuming they don't come up with another gimmick).

That would give them 2, even three years with most powerful console on the market.

That's a place Nintendo hasn't been for a long time...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Could you imagine if Sony release PS5 (should be easier, keep exactly the same architecture but beefed up) and catch MS out in about five years while MS are banking on another long cycle?

Bgamer90

Banned
Year 1: Focus on establishing your market, reach 5-10 million consumers, most games still crossgen.
Year 2: Market growth continues, releases for last gen begin to slow, crossgen titles almost nonexistent, price drop of $50 for the PS4, $100 for the Xbox One for the holidays.
Year 3: Developers begin to get comfortable with the systems, learning better tricks. Games that truly tap into the PS4/XBone's abilities become more common. At this point all PR bullshit has faded and gamers know what to expect from the gen as a whole. Rumors of new SKUs start to pop up.
Year 4: PS4/XBone become the primary systems on the market as support for the PS360 consoles stop almost entirely. New SKUs debut, a "sleek" PS4 and an "upgraded" XBone are released. (By this time the next Nintendo system may well be out. Hopefully it'll be more powerful than the PS4 and XBone, but more than likely nowhere near as powerful as what the PS5 will be later.)
Year 6: Announce new systems at the top of the year, release them near the end or the start of the seventh year.

Something like that.

Nice predictions. I agree.

Kalamari

I am just hoping Sony and MS don't make another move like motion control peripherals as an excuse to extend the generation. Considering that we all know that Occulus technology coming, it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to pull something similar with a VR peripheral.

The computational power required to go from 4k from 1080p is already enormous (think 3x TITANS).

I cannot possibly imagine the kind of rig required to run games at 8k. I expect 4k to become the norm within 5 years though.

You can already get around 30fps in most games from a single high-end GPU (at the highest setting, too). Naturally, Crysis and Metro would require more juice.

AKtYmHe.png

Source

Realistically, the next gen consoles will be targeted as 4K machines. 8K won't be commercially available until 2015-6 at the earliest and it will take time for it to become main stream. Moving 8.3MP images at 60fps is quite demanding so I imagine moving 33.1MP at even 30fps will be really resource-intensive. Even thinking about 16K gives me shivers!

Tmecha

Neo Member
Just putting it out there.

What if Ver 2 of the current systems come out? eg;

PS4-2.0 and Xb1-2.0 come out in 4-5 years.

Both have Upgrades specs but still use the same brand cpu, gpu etc. - Not a huge jump so games wont be possible on the original model.

Games come out still packaged under Xb1 and PS4, but now if u have the model 2 system it runs and looks better compared to the original. same disc same game.
Or something like you buy Halo 6 - 1080p on Xb1 now download the gfx pack on your new console and now you running at 4k res.

No spilt market, no need for late comers to panic over new system coming out early.

Showaddy

It'll be interesting to see how future PS4 SKU's work, the current model is pretty damn trim, would even be possible to get it down to PS2 Super-Slim size with the current hardware?

AmyS

5 or 6 years has always been perfect for console lifecycles.

4 years is too short, 7 or 8 years is too long.

VillageBC

As much as I want it to return. I do not see the return of backwards compatibility anytime soon. Not since they've discovered the art of reselling us the same game over and over again. Why give that up?

Besides, it looks like Nintendo that will be first to next-gen launch as they have the most to gain by resetting the clock.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?

Something like that.

Hell I liked this gen. What's with you 5 years guys anyway? There's no reason to do that unless the buying trend slows to a crawl, you want these things to be massively adopted, the more there are out there, the more games they get. I don't enjoy plopping down several hundreds of dollars just for new hardware, hell, if I wanted to do that I'd just buy a PC. I buy consoles because they are a very long and worthwhile investment. Slow down and let things run their course. Devs won't be constrained by technology often or if ever for a long long time. And if they need power, resolution dumps baby.

Kai Ozu

In what reality?

It's not unreasonable to imagine there will be ideas being thrown around studios at the moment for games designed for PS4/One that have more ambition than something like GTA5. As such, some of these games will not even be finished in 4 years.

I could care less about games like GTA5.

McLovin

The new architecture is scalable no? What if the go the iPhone/iPad route and release a slightly better one every year?

SparkTR

More like speculation, not hints. I wouldn't be surprised at another 8 year generation, depending on what happens.

The new architecture is scalable no? What if the go the iPhone/iPad route and release a slightly better one every year?

iPhones sell insanely better at way higher margins than game consoles do, I doubt the industry could support yearly iterations like that.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
ALL of the hell no!! That defies the very purpose behind consoles. Get a PC for that. Why would you want to spend several hundreds of dollars every year?!

drproton

I think a shorter cycle would be a natural result of the architecture they've used in the PS4.

Binary compatibility and cross-generation games at the PS5 launch would be far easier to do.

NeoGash

For Microsoft's sake they should hope this is true. This is going to be a very long generation for Microsoft, or short, depending on how you look at it. It isn't just the power difference, but Sony seem to be doing everything better and for cheaper. I'll likely end up owning both consoles, but if this generation only goes for 5 years, I think I might have to choose just one. I think I'll get a PS4 first, but maybe only in 2015.

Top Bottom