• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment filed trademarks for Astro Bot in Europe

yohan12

New Accessory?

NES-ROB.jpg

XXL

This thread should get some things straight.

1) AstroBot began as a VR title

2) AstroBot on PS5 isn't even half as good as AstroBot for PSVR.

Wanting the game to skip PSVR2 is fucking insane.

AstroBot on PSVR is one of the best experiences of my life. It's right up there with the magic level of Mario 64 at the time.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Don't sleep on this franchise Sony.

It served both times to present technology to the players (PSVR and dualsense) but both games were so fucking great that the franchise deserves to go beyond that.

Watch Sony using this to make a game to somehow pitch their PS tablet :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

BlackTron

AstroBot on PSVR is one of the best experiences of my life. It's right up there with the magic level of Mario 64 at the time.

I think people just want to tap into that Astro-bot goodness teased on PS5 without needing to go full VR. And most of those same people don't realize how integral VR was to Astro Bot 1.

If you can think back to Mario 3D Land, the game was designed differently because it was a 3D title. It had jumps and perspectives that would have been out of place in a normal game. It leaned into the 3D effect. Astro Bot took that to the next level.

In order to reach a greater audience, it's possible they will just deliver a normal platform game with an optional VR mode. But I don't think people really appreciate how much it will lose as a VR title as a result of that, it will be seen as a "win/win for everybody!" and in time the first game will be snickered at for being unapproachable.

XXL

I think people just want to tap into that Astro-bot goodness teased on PS5 without needing to go full VR. And most of those same people don't realize how integral VR was to Astro Bot 1.

If you can think back to Mario 3D Land, the game was designed differently because it was a 3D title. It had jumps and perspectives that would have been out of place in a normal game. It leaned into the 3D effect. Astro Bot took that to the next level.

In order to reach a greater audience, it's possible they will just deliver a normal platform game with an optional VR mode. But I don't think people really appreciate how much it will lose as a VR title as a result of that, it will be seen as a "win/win for everybody!" and in time the first game will be snickered at for being unapproachable.
I agree with pretty much everything and you're correct making it a hybrid title will change the VRness of its design. The hybrid can be done and would still be great, but would definitely change things quite a bit and people are ignorant of this if they dont know.

Markio128

I mean yeah, they can do that. I personally hope they don't as I will never play it then, like the first one.
They could make it pancake compatible, but then it would lose its magic. In Astrobot VR, it was like playing as two different characters - Astrobot himself and the camera. You control Astrobot like the PS5 game, but had to dodge projectiles by moving your head out of the way. It was pretty awesome.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Rescue Mission is so damn good. Sony needs to expand on it via a sequel and include a non-VR version. Playroom is great but Rescue Mission is the real deal. The praise it receives is all valid, shame the price of entry is so high.

fart town usa

Gold Member

It's all true.gif

It's gotta be VR. Flat mode is fine but VR Astro Bot is top-tier gaming.

Reactions: XXL

SilentUser

I still need to experience the PSVR title (Sony, port the damn thing already). I loved the demo/experience that came with the PS5 and considering how awesome PSVR2 is, I'm 100% sure I will love a VR title.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Also keep in mind that the recommended age for VR is 13 years old. Limiting this series to VR only means not selling it to parents who want to play it with their kids.

XXL

I still need to experience the PSVR title (Sony, port the damn thing already). I loved the demo/experience that came with the PS5 and considering how awesome PSVR2 is, I'm 100% sure I will love a VR title.
Porting Astro Bot Rescue Mission to PSVR2 should have been done immediately (even as a pack-in for PSVR2) and Playstation is stupid for not making it happen already.

Hopefully we get it soon.

BlackTron

Porting Astro Bot Rescue Mission to PSVR2 should have been done immediately (even as a pack-in for PSVR2) and Playstation is stupid for not making it happen already.

Hopefully we get it soon.

I'm guessing it's a consequence of the technical differences between PSVR1 and 2. Under the hood, the way it tracks your head movements is fundamentally different, meaning they have a technical software nightmare. Rescue Mission was tailor made around this special hardware and they would have to take it apart and put it back together again.

That being said, that's no excuse for not doing it. It would just take a deceptively big amount of work to make it actually feel like playing Rescue Mission and not a janky mess.

nial

Gold Member
This would have been a perfect reveal for Tokyo Game Show, but I guess a State of Play around the same time is fine as well.

aclar00

Just give me Astrobot vs. Sackboy Fighter lol, Street Fighter Style though, not smash. Actually, maybe like PowerStone

Andrenicks

Neo Member
Astrobot Rescue Mission alone worth the price of the First PsVr.

And still One of the best gaming experience i had in my entire Life of gamer.

Anything's coming from this franchise Is Day One for me

SkylineRKR

It's still amazing that Astro's Playroom managed to have the best 3D platforming controls and feel outside of a Mario title. I went into that game thinking it would be nice to mess around in, and left a bit baffled at how good it was.

I was planning to install my PS5, and then start with Demon's Souls. Instead, I was hooked to Astrobot for a week. Its just so good.

I agree, but the bottom line is that it NEEDS to do both. I love Astro as much as the next guy but limiting him to PSVR2 is not a smart move for this style of game. I've heard so many cases where my son, or my nephew, niece, little cousin, etc love to play Astro's Playroom. Most parents aren't gonna plop down the money it takes to own a PS5 and PSVR2 so the game being regular PS5 compatible is the best case scenario for the future of the franchise.

Top Bottom