• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT INC. Patents - Published today - Some related to the PS5

Handy Fake

Just from the other thread, could the fourth be related to eyetracking in PSVR?

"Int.Class H04N 5/74 Appl.No PCT/JP2019/041088 Applicant SONY CORPORATION Inventor OHKAWA Shingo
This image display device comprises: a first optical unit that refracts light from a display element so as to change the direction of advancement along an optical path; a second optical unit upon which the light refracted by the first optical unit falls incident; and a control unit that, when a display region of the display element is divided into a plurality of regions along a scanning direction, controls the distance between the first optical unit and the second optical unit depending on the plurality of regions, thereby establishing a state in which the timing for changing the direction of advancement along the optical path is different depending on the plurality of regions. "

Last edited:

Degree

Banned

They published A LOT of stuff TODAY. Also the PS5 DualSense was published today:

And plenty of other stuff:

Final PS5 Design?

8H-cN73bhGxCjSKedPoI_nF2_sPQGo96Fcbllz6jMDv9hAClhpqgU6Z6PcK1YIPLI2aS4IZv_9u45IfbgWLySb_DdCj0ajdy76MjSkxzQ4wNy0BOQnTMJ7lBvQJWoptvDsQ2AckNx89XGrlMJNIiPg

Dodkrake

Banned
This one is super interesting. From my limited understanding, it allows one to control the multimedia device with the headsets?

xool

Seems to be about reducing crosstalk/background noise in audio from controller

Might be about using machine learning to auto-tag shared images

PS-VR controller stuff 99%

Something about getting captured images (photo) in-game - not sure - probably augmented reality

software greenscreen by the sounds of things (also partialy what kinect did)

might be force feedback on the buttons (haptic triggers) - sounds like they are trying to simulate a push-on/push-off switch with the buttons (triggers)

New type of 3.5mm audio jack. Why Sony why ?

This is it boys - dev kit cooling system teardown

Last edited:

Degree

Banned
D Degree the PS5 design is from April / May last year, so this is for the cooling patent in their prototype

If true, why is the patent called "Eletronic device", the same name they used for EVERY other console?
Usually, when they patent a cooling solution or heat sink, for example here:

or here: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=JP275628386&_cid=P22-KB0VAF-83789-3

Anyway, at least it should give us an idea of the cooling solution for the final PS5 design. But we will see, hopefully Sony will show it to us soon.

Dodkrake

Banned
If true, why is the patent called "Eletronic device", the same name they used for EVERY other console?
Usually, when they patent a cooling solution or heat sink, for example here:

or here: https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=JP275628386&_cid=P22-KB0VAF-83789-3

Anyway, at least it should give us an idea of the cooling solution for the final PS5 design. But we will see, hopefully Sony will show it to us soon.

I would say perhaps because it shows the cooling system under the context of a console. Doesn't mean it's the final design, and I'd seriously doubt the final design has been locked for 12 months.

yurinka

What they patent here is their cooling solution, not the box design.
Notice that 3 and 5 are all these front leds and ports that devkits have, so this image is clearly the design of the devkit and not the retail console design because obviously the retail console won't have all these leds and ports that devkits have.
So I think we can expect retail PS5 using basically this cooling system, or a very similar one, with probably a different, more traditional box design for the plastic cover.

cexaY9_nLmXbALJv2KsiLGmWIFpfTiHYQi2Q8E-NzrAkYEKuAXZQ0JXEAGMfAiLSr-OIlEd88bd_OBVSgQW2b4LZwIaoBONFEX6Sa9QkdH3y9n7vk1c2c-m5CnVfHbOISaVraAkgXwJ5o3-8GmWcDrSdwPjQSbndOTCbkQTMN-A

Last edited:

sinnergy

What they patent here is their cooling solution, not the box design.
Notice that 3 and 5 are all these front leds and ports that devkits have, so this is the design of the devkit.
So I think we can expect retail PS5 using basically this cooling system, or a very similar one, with probably a different, more traditional box design for the plastic cover.

cexaY9_nLmXbALJv2KsiLGmWIFpfTiHYQi2Q8E-NzrAkYEKuAXZQ0JXEAGMfAiLSr-OIlEd88bd_OBVSgQW2b4LZwIaoBONFEX6Sa9QkdH3y9n7vk1c2c-m5CnVfHbOISaVraAkgXwJ5o3-8GmWcDrSdwPjQSbndOTCbkQTMN-A

j1hwsIV.gif

I hope it’s not retail.

Last edited:

yurinka

According to one of these patents sounds like PSVR2 will track position the headset and specially the DualSense position using a camera (or multiple ones) located in the lower side of the headset.

This matches with having the DualSense tracking light smaller (because the camera is now way closer) and in the top side of the pad instead of in its front side.

ugh, so six fans? wow. Hope those are quiet fans.
Japanese are very quiet, maybe they are the only 6 remaining fans that MS had in Japan. This would mean the whole MS fanbase is moving to PS5 for the next gen.

I'm just kidding, please don't kill me

Last edited:

yurinka

PSVR and PS5

Got it
PSVR doesn't have a camera in the headset. Sounds more likely for PSVR2, whenever they decide to release it (I assume it won't be at PS5 launch, they may prefer to release it 2 or 3 years later to have some cool mid-gen refresh news and to make sure their marketing campaigns don't overlap).

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
That console is fucking pig ugly. Especially paired with that cheap looking controller. I really hope that isnt the final design.

I hope its significantly better than that. I'd even settle for square plastic over it just to make it a regular box.

cormack12

Gold Member
Out of interest has anyone asked a dev if the devkits are quiet? Seems an obvious question but not seen anything like that. They're obviously testing this solution and design in the devkits if it's so radical.....so does it work?

Not that it's going to reach a big audience but if the system were revealed today as scheduled there would be no doubt about design or anything. Wish it were so. Such is life.

yurinka

Out of interest has anyone asked a dev if the devkits are quiet? Seems an obvious question but not seen anything like that. They're obviously testing this solution and design in the devkits if it's so radical.....so does it work?
Devkits traditionally are locked in a separated room where there isn't people working there.
So they don't care about if it makes noise. But in this case I assume that if it has a vapor champer and a huge heatsink and that idea they patented before for the 3D stacking for using sandwich stuff with the headsink in the middle, I bet it's going to be pretty quiet.

SUPERGGK

That cooling solution with so many fans and heat sinks feels premium and costly. I feel that maybe Cerny has pushed the Cpu and GPU clocks a little bit too higher, and all this extra cost should have been saved to get a bigger and better chip like series x. I am very impressed with the ssd of ps5 but I am still nervous about the variable clocks of the chip of ps5. I hope I am wrong and this was a clear thought out decision and not a kneejerk response and a last minute upclock to bridge the tf gap between the two consoles.

keram

If it makes you feel better that's not the retail console.

🤷‍♂️

So the final design can be different.

So 8 fans and a huge cooling sink ? 🤣

But seriouslly, I doubt Sony invented a new cooling solution and want to have a patent for it only for the DevKits. I think this solution will be also in the retail PS5.

However, as long as its silent why not ?

As much as OsirisBlack has gotten stuff wrong, he did say at some point the PSV devkit was really fucking loud. That makes sense if you've got 6 fucking fans in your machine!

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
ugh, so six fans? wow. Hope those are quiet fans.
Cerny said he thinks we will like the cooling solution they came up with in The Road to PS5

And we know they spent more on the cooling this time. It'll be a big improvement from the PS4/PS4 Pro

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

As much as OsirisBlack has gotten stuff wrong, he did say at some point the PSV devkit was really fucking loud. That makes sense if you've got 6 fucking fans in your machine!
6 fans at a low RPM can be pretty damn quiet though and there's a huge heatsink in the dev kit which might transfer to the final design

So 8 fans and a huge cooling sink ? 🤣

But seriouslly, I doubt Sony invented a new cooling solution and want to have a patent for it only for the DevKits. I think this solution will be also in the retail PS5.

However, as long as its silent why not ?

It could have even less fans.

However I always did suspect that the cooling system for the dev kit would be similar to the retail unit.

Geki-D

Banned
A heat sink that large is pretty unique for a console, right? Wonder if this is just for the devkit or the retail units will actually have a massive heatsink too. Might add some serious weight to the system. Also, is that 6 fans?

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
6 fans :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Of 3 to cool the power supply.
Considering the final gpu runs 2.23gz vs 2ghz. Even if rdna2 efficiency improves, still...makes you wonder about the overclock theory coming true..

No wonder MS keeps stressing 'sustained'. They know Sony cant keep up the heat.

No wonder Bloomberg leak about the heat issue too.

Considering the final gpu runs 2.23gz vs 2ghz. Even if rdna2 efficiency improves, still...makes you wonder about the overclock theory coming true..

You understand that this box will have been designed waaaaaaay before Sony knew what Microsoft was doing, or vice versa.

Matt already confirmed that this set up was always the plan it wasn't some last minute add on that xbots want people to think it is.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Osiris did say it was loud and ran hot.

As long as they're quiet idc. Imagine the Ps4 fan x6, that'd be annoying. Then again maybe the final design isn't anything like this.

Hobbygaming

Sony isn't creating a Xbox360 RROD scenario Lmao

Ar¢tos

You don't give up FUD spreading?
As if there was time to redesign, produce and test this since ms announcement.
Stop with FUD and the wars.

Top Bottom