• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT INC. Patents - Published today - Some related to the PS5

6 fans :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Of 3 to cool the power supply.
Considering the final gpu runs 2.23gz vs 2ghz. Even if rdna2 efficiency improves, still...makes you wonder about the overclock theory coming true..

No wonder MS keeps stressing 'sustained'. They know Sony cant keep up the heat.

No wonder Bloomberg leak about the heat issue too.
Microsoft knows shit. Cerny was very confident with his technology. All developers are praising his architecture

xool

Japanese are very quiet, maybe they are the only 6 remaining fans that MS had in Japan. This would mean the whole MS fanbase is moving to PS5 for the next gen.
Not often something makes me laugh - this did. have some internet dollars - here $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
But seriouslly, I doubt Sony invented a new cooling solution and want to have a patent for it only for the DevKits. I think this solution will be also in the retail PS5.
Couple of things .. Back in the day patents were for inventions .. I'm really not seeing the invention in this - like 3 fans for a heat sink -is that your big idea.( ? .. but apple patented "rounded corners" so there it is..)

.. Secondly Sony patented this same design (box shape) as a design patent about a year ago - so basically they're patenting anything/everything - even dev kits..

tldr - it doesn't really mean anything - I'm not expecting anything.

imo the retail cooling will be a big squarish heat sink horizontally ontop of the SoC, with a big (6inch +) fan straight on top (like the OG XboxOne but bigger) .. I expect them to use a radial fan, not axial though - so they don't need a hole in the top plate. It'll be a Motherboard/SoC/HeatSink/Fan sandwich - hence a height of ~10cm+ defined by these components and arrangement. Thank me later..

Cerny said he thinks we will like the cooling solution they came up with in The Road to PS5

And we know they spent more on the cooling this time. It'll be a big improvement from the PS4/PS4 Pro
[edit] oops quoted wrong person
A heat sink that large is pretty unique for a console, right? Wonder if this is just for the devkit or the retail units will actually have a massive heatsink too. Might add some serious weight to the system. Also, is that 6 fans?
Yeah but only 3 for the sink. It's pretty big, a bit bigger than the Series X by the looks of things, maybe 50% bigger. But Sony is at 2.3 GHz which is double the power per flop than 1.8 - I'm expecting their GPU to pull around 20% more power/heat than the series X so not unexpected

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if they keep that same size heat sink and number of fans in the launch console, I know dev kits are usually wildly larger, etc. than the final retail unit so I am sure the size will be smaller...curious if they are going to keep with a vapor chamber design or maybe go with something newer like the thermosiphon design. I know most people can't stand Linus, but he does a pretty good job showing of a thermosiphon cooler.

Last edited:
That console is fucking pig ugly. Especially paired with that cheap looking controller. I really hope that isnt the final design.

I hope its significantly better than that. I'd even settle for square plastic over it just to make it a regular box.

Yeah from what we're seeing so far it's going to be a hideous piece of tech.

That console is fucking pig ugly. Especially paired with that cheap looking controller. I really hope that isnt the final design.

I hope its significantly better than that. I'd even settle for square plastic over it just to make it a regular box.

The controller is nice man. I think it's a huge improvement over the DS4. At least aesthetically.

Not sure about the console though. If it's not a cheap looking glossy plastic, and they use a nice textured plastic, it could look kinda cyberpunk.

That would be a nice aesthetic.

I hope the fans are a standard size and are replaceable. Swapping in some Noctua fans would be neat.

Last edited:
Do people not realize that the line drawing looks eerily similar to the PS5 Dev-kit images?!?! Am I the blind one here or are people... are people just trolling? If so, then that's cool. I just can't tell anymore if someone is serious or trolling, the desperation levels are at an all time high so the waters are getting murky.

xool

Do people not realize that the line drawing looks eerily similar to the PS5 Dev-kit images?!?! Am I the blind one here or are people... are people just trolling? If so, then that's cool. I just can't tell anymore if someone is serious or trolling, the desperation levels are at an all time high so the waters are getting murky.
Because it is the dev kit.

People need to be told "it's the dev kit" every time that image is shown, so I guess everyone just gave up. If you don't know by now ..

Last edited:

martino

I will be interesting to see if they keep that same size heat sink and number of fans in the launch console, I know dev kits are usually wildly larger, etc. than the final retail unit so I am sure the size will be smaller...curious if they are going to keep with a vapor chamber design or maybe go with something newer like the thermosiphon design. I know most people can't stand Linus, but he does a pretty good job showing of a thermosiphon cooler.

thank now i know what is my nest ventirad if final product keep promises.

I'm just getting ready for Amazon's Pre-Order page..I always get one on launch if I lock in the 30min window of announcement during the showcase this month.

Kadve

How close to the consumer version those dev kits get?

In terms of PlayStation, only the PS2 resembled the final product.

1l0ljcnx9e241.png

sendit

In terms of PlayStation, only the PS2 resembled the final product.

1l0ljcnx9e241.png

Why would Sony go through great lengths to shape the dev kit of the PS5 in to a V, along with a cooling solution to go with the case? I'm predicting the final box will resemble the dev kit in some ways.

Last edited:

xool

Why would Sony go through great lengths to shape the dev kit of the PS5 in to a V, along with a cooling solution to go with the case? I'm predicting the final box will resemble the dev kit in some ways.
Because they employ people and it was either that or sharpening pencils all day.

Plus you know that thing is designed to be stacked .. which is partly why it has the V (dev kits get stacked - not likely on the home console)

Last edited:

I am willing to bet that the final product is going to have some sort if 'V' shape, but I don't think it will look anything like the dev kit other than the possibility of using some sort of that shape. I have a feeling the design is going to look something like the shape of the Dualsense touchpad if I had to guess.

j5qV4HK.jpg

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
I am willing to bet that the final product is going to have some sort if 'V' shape, but I don't think it will look anything like the dev kit other than the possibility of using some sort of that shape. I have a feeling the design is going to look something like the shape of the Dualsense touchpad if I had to guess.

j5qV4HK.jpg

If Sony decides to actually show the console..

Osiris did say it was loud and ran hot.

As long as they're quiet idc. Imagine the Ps4 fan x6, that'd be annoying. Then again maybe the final design isn't anything like this.

I believe he said one of the developer kits ran loud and hot while the other is cool and quiet.

I also believe he said that there were two different colors. One of them grey and the other black.

And I read somewhere the first developer kit was a silver PC Tower. I think Wired were the ones who said that.

schaft0620

OK so I am translating the docs, I think I found something cool on like the 3rd page. "The electronic device (fig.10 the dev kit itself) may have a trapezoidal shape or a parallelogram when viewed in plan view. "

The devkit is a trapezoid. I think the actual box is going to be slightly offset like a parallelogram. We have even seen some fan-made stuff that looks close to this.

I will continue reading through and translating.

EDIT: it's page 5.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I like the design. The very most important thing is that it works. I prefer this design over the simple long box form of the next xbox. I am not fanning a console war but microsfot's design just lacks any kind of flare. I like this compact sony ps5 design, especially if it keeps it cool.

Last edited:
especially if it keeps it cool.

I don't think people will complain to much if that's the case. And I'm confident that the cooling solution will be pretty nice in the PS5.

I haven't seen the console yet so I can't comment if I like how it looks better than the Xbox. However I will say that I prefer a console like design over a PC Tower one.

Seeing those dev kits is very interesting. Look at that PS3 dev kit, it literally was just a BluRay player that could also play games LOL Look at that PS4/PS4 Pro dev kit, it was massive! Look how small the final design was, no wonder its loud as shit! The OG Xbox really was just a PC! The 360 dev kit looks the the final product just with a big ass forehead. The Xbox One X dev kit actually look pretty damn nice!

Anyone have the other dev kits? Dreamcast? Nintendo? Would be interesting to see what those look like too!

Seeing those dev kits is very interesting. Look at that PS3 dev kit, it literally was just a BluRay player that could also play games LOL Look at that PS4/PS4 Pro dev kit, it was massive! Look how small the final design was, no wonder its loud as shit! The OG Xbox really was just a PC! The 360 dev kit looks the the final product just with a big ass forehead. The Xbox One X dev kit actually look pretty damn nice!

Anyone have the other dev kits? Dreamcast? Nintendo? Would be interesting to see what those look like too!

Nintendo Switch developer kit

DQd9KMFV4AAtmVa.jpg

Here's the Wii U dev kit.

$T2eC16R,!zoE9s5ne3OyBRl,YC5NPg~~60_57.JPG
they didn't even try to make the Wii/Wii U dev kits any kind of appealing. they're the most ordinary looking black boxes ever, which i guess would be the goal. The Wii U dev kit even has a return date on it! You MUST return this CAT-DEV to Nintendo by the end of Nov. 2011.

Last edited:
Top Bottom