• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Is Allegedly In Preliminary Talks To Bring Helldivers 2 To Xbox Series X|S

MLB the Show is not published by Sony on Xbox. MLB is the publisher of the Xbox version. And im pretty sure it was MLB forcing Sony to make it multiplat in order for Sony to retain the MLB licence.

I still wonder if Sony could've pushed for more leverage in that scenario. EA did with FIFA and the non-FIFA soccer games seem like they're selling better than with the FIFA license. Maybe things work a lot differently with MLB though.

These games would have more players if they were released on other platforms.

You're missing the point: they don't need more players! Why? Well I think it's partly because Valve isn't a public company pushed by shareholders to chase "infinite growth" (which is impossible) at all costs just to satisfy shareholder and corporate board greed. Those games have enough players and enough of a paying fanbase to satisfy Valve's needs, and Valve also understand their importance in keeping them exclusive to act as draws towards the Steam storefront.

It's similar with Nintendo's games like Splatoon. Nintendo's a publicly-traded company and they do have investors/shareholders; however the critical shares are family-owned and some IIRC are owned by Japanese banks. Nintendo can easily balance cries for "infinite growth" with the fact they don't necessarily target high-cost silicon and also that they have a large dedicated fanbase willing to pay for their games for extremely long periods. The fact they were able to stay afloat with the Wii U revenue/profit-wise of all things says it all (the 3DS helped offset some things there though).

If more platforms meant more players, why has Game Pass stagnated in subscriber growth? I think the idea more platforms automatically means more players, is only true when the current platforms the game's on are a handicap to the game's market success. So if Helldivers 2 were an Xbox exclusive for example, bringing it to PS5 would've made a lot more sense because Xbox as a console is a major liability for any console exclusive; MS going multiplat themselves now is even more proof of it.

They try to simplify it to "just port it to Xbox = easy money". That's like saying "It would make sense for Netflix to put their shows on Peacock and make some easy money".

Only way an Xbox version would be easy money is likely if Microsoft paid for the costs of the port and server management for Xbox users themselves.

Ogbert

You can say it about any exclusive game including Nintendo. We all know why some of you started to push this narrative for Sony to start porting games on Xbox.
But it's not really a flagpole Sony title.

Nintendo will never let Mario or Zelda appear on another console. Sony will never let Last of Us or Spiderman appear on MS or Nintendo.

But, in Helldivers, they are thinking 'hmmm, we have a title here that might run for the next five to ten years and make us billions. We need to grow the userbase'.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
fLahHQ4.gif

Killjoy-NL

As a live service game thats successful sony would be dumb as shit not to allow it to happen, its clear as day a majority of there live services games are going multi, why else buy bungie
Why?

Because it might force Xbox owners to jump over to Playstation?

Aenima

I still wonder if Sony could've pushed for more leverage in that scenario. EA did with FIFA and the non-FIFA soccer games seem like they're selling better than with the FIFA license. Maybe things work a lot differently with MLB though.
The thing is Fifa only owns the World Cup and maybe some other events, but they dont own the clubs, the countries leagues, or the players. So its easy for EA to drop the Fifa licence and remain with the same game as they still have the licence for each country leagues, they have the licence to use the real player names, etc. But MLB is the Basebal league in N. America. Losing that licence would mean losing all the clubs that play in the MLB and probably the players. Im not really sure how MLB is structure in terms of licences, but in European football, thers a entity that owns the licence of player names, then thers each country Leagues, then thers the big events like champions league, etc.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

We have Sony saving Xbox studios by allowing them to port games to PS5. Now we have Sony saving Xbox console by allowing them to port their hit games to Xbox.

Am I doing this right? 😜
Sony cant refuse xbox games though unless
Tell that to Valve when it comes to Counterstrike 2 and DOTA 2, or Nintendo when it comes to Splatoon.

More platforms = more players is yet another fallacy in gaming.

That's probably another reason there's a non-zero chance Helldivers 2 does get an Xbox port: if MS are using PS players to siphon for Sea of Thieves (potentially at the expense of other GAAS titles on PS5), Sony would probably want to do the same on Xbox. Sony's problem is, there isn't much to siphon from on the Xbox side for a live-service game that still cost money as a B2P.

Yeah there are Xbox gamers into shooters who still buy them but the number has been dropping off every year. When Sony could've probably been more strict about what things Microsoft could do when bringing games to PlayStation (for example, not allowing MS to force PS5 owners to make a Microsoft email account to play online), they weren't, for whatever reason.

It's not coincidence that all these pushes for "open platforms" just conveniently benefit smaller players regardless if it was their own hubris and bad business decisions that got them there, and punishes dominant players regardless if they became so out of fair competition and just having better business sense. It's some of the worst kind of equity.
Thing is sony cant dicate what ms does to there platform anymore, people dont realise but the EU has opened digital stores for everyone anyone locking anyone out faces fines or bans, its the reason why apple has, everyones crying that ms has is exiting the console market but they are literally taken advantage, probably goes in the favour if they ever want to aquire more publishers

Topher

Gold Member
Sony cant refuse xbox games though unless

Thing is sony cant dicate what ms does to there platform anymore, people dont realise but the EU has opened digital stores for everyone anyone locking anyone out faces fines or bans, its the reason why apple has, everyones crying that ms has is exiting the console market but they are literally taken advantage, probably goes in the favour if they ever want to aquire more publishers

None of that has anything to do with consoles.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Not happening.

The game is the only extremely successeful live service game on Sony catalog right now.

Unless they somehow get a good contract on the sale of microtransactions i dont see this happening

Last edited:
Not a single developer making a live service game would ever say that. 🤷‍♂️

Valve have said it. Twice. Riot Games have said it. Nintendo's said it.

The thing is Fifa only owns the World Cup and maybe some other events, but they dont own the clubs, the countries leagues, or the players. So its easy for EA to drop the Fifa licence and remain with the same game as they still have the licence for each country leagues, they have the licence to use the real player names, etc. But MLB is the Basebal league in N. America. Losing that licence would mean losing all the clubs that play in the MLB and probably the players. Im not really sure how MLB is structure in terms of licences, but in European football, thers a entity that owns the licence of player names, then thers each country Leagues, then thers the big events like champions league, etc.

OK, so that's why. Guess MLB had the leverage in that situation after all.

While it probably would be more lucrative for SSD to do a football (soccer) game with the FIFA license, they may not want to/could be more used to baseball. And Sony probably don't want to create waves with EA in a rival soccer series.

But that's all just for the mobile market. Nothing's been enforced on the console market AFAIK and even if it were, it'd only pertain to EU nations and the games in those territories, not globally.

Last edited:
I can't see PlayStation ever doing this. Maybe in the distant future (even doubtful then) but I see no reason why they would port anything over to Xbox on their own merit. Mainly it would devalue their own system, but also I wonder how much money in would even make them. They would port games to a much smaller install base who is conditioned to not buy games? No point in doing so.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
If Xbox were more popular I could see it. It’s a GaaS game after all. If they went through with it now it would be less about the sales and more about throwing MS a bone because they are one of the biggest publishers out there now.

Killjoy-NL

If Xbox were more popular I could see it. It’s a GaaS game after all. If they went through with it now it would be less about the sales and more about throwing MS a bone because they are one of the biggest publishers out there now.
MS won't pull games from Playstation though.

Too much revenue is being made there.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
i wouldnt be surprised. sony only cares about profits now and their ceos are short term thinking morons.

they are already shipping marathon on the xbox despite spending $3.6 billion on bungie. they are complete idiots.
Difference is Marathon is a sure fire failure and they will probably at least want to barely recoop their losses on its production. Helldivers makes little sense as to why they need to port it to Xbox as the playerbase on that platform is pitiful, it is already more than successful than nearly every other current GAAS game, even those released by MS themselves, and continues to grow.

I can't see PlayStation ever doing this. Maybe in the distant future (even doubtful then) but I see no reason why they would port anything over to Xbox on their own merit. Mainly it would devalue their own system, but also I wonder how much money in would even make them. They would port games to a much smaller install base who is conditioned to not buy games? No point in doing so.

Well to play devils' advocate, Sony are already kind of doing that to PlayStation with the PC ports. I think they've been very overzealous in those ports the past few years, and it could make the PS5 Pro a harder sell than it needed to be. Plus is there fundamentally any difference between a GAAS game Day 1 on PC & six months later on Xbox, especially for an IP that isn't heavily associated with PlayStation the way GOW, Killzone, TLOU etc. are (historically speaking)?

Obviously I'm not making that argument to suggest Sony do bring HD2 to Xbox; there are plenty of reason why they shouldn't. But do I have confidence Sony would value those reasons the same way? Not necessarily, especially as time goes on. The idea though that it'd devalue their own console doesn't necessarily work IMO when them doing Day 1 for GAAS on PC already somewhat does the same thing.

Basically: you're right. But the reason you're right also shows what effects their PC strategy has that are somewhat similar anyway.

But why would this be the kind of bone Sony throws them? MS being allowed to publish on PlayStation is as much a bone they're entitled to. What are MS gonna do if Sony doesn't port games to Xbox? Not publish on PlayStation anymore?

MS are the dependent ones here, not Sony. Doesn't really matter how "big" a publisher MS are, either: they still need platforms to sell their games on so it's probably in their best interest that PlayStation prospers.

Which IMO means it's probably in Sony's best interest to stop risking devaluing of their own console with so many PC ports, but will they actually change some plans there? Who knows :/

Top Bottom