• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is discussing a partnership with Pearl abyss(Black Desert, Dokev), including equity investment, to secure exclusive content.

gokurho

source:Korean article

Sony has recently taken notice of South Korea's content industry and is looking to gain an ally. This is because the company is increasingly focusing on videogame production in Korea, which has been dominated by PC online and mobile games.

In addition to the success of the video game versions of Battlegrounds and Black Desert, Neowiz's P's Lies, Shift-Up's Stellar Blade, and NCsoft's TL are also attracting attention as they are being developed into video games.

Sony is pursuing business partnerships and collaborations with them. In particular, with the upcoming release of 'Red Desert', Funbis is discussing a partnership with Sony, including equity investment, to secure exclusive content.

Neowiz, Comptus, and NCsoft are also considered to be partners that are expected to expand their collaboration with Sony.

Translated with DeepL

Topher

Gold Member
I Dont Ron Burgundy GIF

I think there was a report about it.

"report"

You mean that 1 article that interviewed a random Korean person in the gaming industry, who only said he has never seen Pearl Abyss talking about development? Also says (translated) "Of course, this is not official. It could just be a distorted interpretation of my feelings."
https://bbs.ruliweb.com/best/board/300143/read/61785372

So there are zero reports of such a claim, yet there are videos of people playing and demoing Dokev.

Last edited:
"report"

You mean that 1 article that interviewed a random Korean person in the gaming industry, who only said he has never seen Pearl Abyss talking about development? Also says (translated) "Of course, this is not official. It could just be a distorted interpretation of my feelings."

So there are zero reports of such a claim, yet there are videos of people playing and demoing Dokev.
i dunno if that was the report. i also remember that this was supposed to be an MMO....but not anymore?

sus to me.

c'mon bro.

Watch Dogs "gameplay" reveal.

Watch dogs is a fake game that never released?

WTF are you smoking now?!

You claimed many devs have made trailers of fake games that never launched---which is what you're accusing DokeV of.

Now you're moving the goalposts to, hur dur, this dev made a CGI trailer... keep your story straight, dude FFS

Your definition of fake is much different than mine. The Division footage from E3 was a vertical slice that never came to fruition. Nobody was able to control a helicopter from a tablet, so yea, in that respect. Fake.

Your definition of fake is irrelevant to the discussion being had.

I and the other poster were talking about DokeV, a game he claimed was fake and never existed.

He claimed devs made similar fake trailers of fake games all the time. I asked him to name a single one... you said Ubisoft.

You realize now, how utterly irrelevant your contribution to the topic was?

If you're gonna reply to a post on a discussion forum, at least have the decency to read the fucking posts to learn what the discussion was actually about before hitting reply and typing some nonsense.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
I remember the Dokev trailer, it was pretty ambitious and I remember people saying this is what Pokémon next gen should have been. Would be a good get for Sony, and I’m not a believer in that article saying that footage of Dokev was of a fake game.

Pearl Abyss is not just some no-name developer.

Watch dogs is a fake game that never released?

WTF are you smoking now?!

You claimed many devs have made trailers of fake games that never launched---which is what you're accusing DokeV of.
i didn't
well..there have been examples of "serious" developers faking footage.

let's not be naive.

footage ≠ game.

Now you're moving the goalposts to, hur dur, this dev made a CGI trailer... keep your story straight, dude FFS

what the actual fuck is wrong with you!!!????. are you trying to gaslight me?!?!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Your definition of fake is irrelevant to the discussion being had.

I and the other poster were talking about DokeV, a game he claimed was fake and never existed.

He claimed devs made similar fake trailers of fake games all the time. I asked him to name a single one... you said Ubisoft.

You realize now, how utterly irrelevant your contribution to the topic was?

If you're gonna reply to a post on a discussion forum, at least have the decency to read the fucking posts to learn what the discussion was actually about before hitting reply and typing some nonsense.
I see...

Yea, I don't really do decency.

How much bated breath did you exhaust waiting for a reply to this post as if you're somehow checking me.

It's obvious the conversation was unclear otherwise both me and ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo wouldnt have misunderstood.

How about you have the decency to not use shorthand to get your point across. Or, I dunno, maybe simply clarify without antagonizing people.

why the fuck are you so triggered by a pedo game being fake 😜
the fucking irony 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣.

if you actually had read the conversation you would have realized that i didn't claim "PedoKeV" was fake...i was asking a question.
this was fake footage right?
then the other dude posted this:
There's no reason for a company like Pearl Abyss (Black Desert, Eve Online) to make fake footage
which i answered:
I think there was a report about it.
he:
"report"

me:
i dunno if that was the report. i also remember that this was supposed to be an MMO....but not anymore?

sus to me.
YWCxso3.jpg

bhJzURX.jpg

then you all triggered and defensive as shit:
It was BS.

Pearl Abyss is a serious developer. They're no reason for them to make fake footage.
your reply comes across like the classic fanboy blindly defending a dev....when we have example after example of devs and "serious devs" spitting bullshit.

so...yeah....not inspiring confidence this "serious developers" overpromising and underdelivering....if only.

When something looks too good to be true.....you better have ready the bullshit-meter.

Freeman76

Black Desert is an incredible MMO, I've played most of them for a good amount of time and to me BDO is one of the best, but it gets a bad rap due to the monetisation. People call it pay to win but it really isnt, the things you can pay for to make you a bit stronger for PvP are things very few people will ever need, you're talking top tier players who need a tiny edge.

Seems a wierd acquisition though, BDO isnt one of the most populated MMOs and in the past 18 months their content is sorely lacking. The odd event now and then but nothing substantial other than new character classes which, after getting 10+ characters to level 56 isnt too exciting a prospect

I know Crimson Desert is in the pipeline though, I expect that will be great. Never heard of Dokev though so maybe thats what is behind them doing this.

midnightAI

Black Desert is an incredible MMO, I've played most of them for a good amount of time and to me BDO is one of the best, but it gets a bad rap due to the monetisation. People call it pay to win but it really isnt, the things you can pay for to make you a bit stronger for PvP are things very few people will ever need, you're talking top tier players who need a tiny edge.

Seems a wierd acquisition though, BDO isnt one of the most populated MMOs and in the past 18 months their content is sorely lacking. The odd event now and then but nothing substantial other than new character classes which, after getting 10+ characters to level 56 isnt too exciting a prospect

I know Crimson Desert is in the pipeline though, I expect that will be great. Never heard of Dokev though so maybe thats what is behind them doing this.
It isn't an acquisition (not yet at least)
But I wouldn't put it past them to secure a timed exclusive for DokeV (which is delayed to 2024 while they finish Crimson Desert)

Oh, and Black Desert still has the best character creator in a game ever, it's awesome

kimcorecoba

Neo Member
Hold on, you just moved the goal post from fake footage to "fake games that were never in development." Two different things.
I think the context of the conversation was fake games that were never in development. So it would be wise to assume that that was what the conversation was about. Or I could be wrong.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
As much as us hardcore traditional gamers dislike GaaS, gatcha, and MMO games, there is obviously a huge market for it. And Sony is wise to tap into it, from a business POV at least.

Just look at Genshin Impact. There are more than half a million people playing Genshin Impact right now as I type this. And it's a PlayStation console exclusive. Because of Genshin Impact, MiHoYo is now 400% more profitable than the entire PlayStation division.

Sony securing this type of content exclusively for PlayStation is going to be extremely profitable for them. Millions of players will buy PlayStation, and Sony will earn 30% of all the money they will spend.

I hope Sony uses that money and also invests in other single-player studios and games though.

mortal

Gold Member
I think the context of the conversation was fake games that were never in development. So it would be wise to assume that that was what the conversation was about. Or I could be wrong.
Nah, the context was fake footage aka fake gameplay. Those are two different things.
A game or IP can be real while also passing along fake gameplay as legitimate, which has happened numerous times in this industry.

Top Bottom