• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is inspired by EA - White Knight Chronicles 2 requires license for online play

a1m said:
I was damn excited for WKC2 and it was day 1 for me but now.. fuck you Sony. Won't buy just to rebel against this crap.
mn2443.jpg

a1m

Banned
Vinterbird said:
Then you will soon rebel against any game ever.
Sure. When it gets to that point I'll be more than happy to stay with games released so far. I don't understand why I'd have to buy games just because they are new and probably good games but come with ridiculous accessories and whatnot. Be my guest and support this idiocracy.

Fakto

Dresden said:
I guess we're not too far off from the day when each game will demand its own fee for multiplayer gameplay.
Why ? It's not related at all. You are not paying anything extra here, just tying a part of the game to your PSN account.
Never bought a used game, don't care, carry on.

a1m said:
Sure. When it gets to that point I'll be more than happy to stay with games released so far. I don't understand why I'd have to buy games just because they are new and probably good games but come with ridiculous accessories and whatnot. Be my guest and support this idiocracy.

What? If you buy the game new, as normal people do, then there is no problems at all. It's only if you re-sell stuff or do other shady stuff. It's like Steam, XBLA or PSN. And no one seems to be going insane over those set ups.

Dresden said:
I guess we're not too far off from the day when each game will demand its own fee for multiplayer gameplay.
A fee for multiplayer should be the norm for every game on PSN. Obviously not many ppl have a problem with it, good for devs etc.

Facism

I'm betting this doesn't actually deter used game sales and that people who want to resell their product will merely not use the code to keep their value up.

However i can tell you I won't be buying this product as a consequence of this 1 psn user actvation crap.

a1m

Banned
Vinterbird said:
What? If you buy the game new, as normal people do, then there is no problems at all. It's only if you re-sell stuff or do other shady stuff. It's like Steam, XBLA or PSN. And no one seems to be going insane over those set ups.
I buy most of my games new but sometimes I like to buy used ones too. Why would someone defend such actions?

Yagharek

a1m said:
I buy most of my games new but sometimes I like to buy used ones too. Why would someone defend such actions?

Follow the money trail. Its possible they work for one of the publishers planning to implement this kind of scam. Otherwise its just a particular form of fanboyism being expressed, known as being a corporate apologist.

Vinterbird said:

I rarely buy games on PSN and XBL apart from biggest hits, because I cannot justify the price. Also, most of my Steam collection are games I bought from Steam sales. If I want a new game and it requires Steam I will always buy Steam key locally, as it's 20%-30% cheaper. Steam prices are insane in Europe, 50EUR for a game, wtf?

RandomVince said:
Follow the money trail. Its possible they work for one of the publishers planning to implement this kind of scam. Otherwise its just a particular form of fanboyism being expressed, known as being a corporate apologist.

Or maybe wanting the industry talent to not be totally fucked by the consumer they are desperately trying to please?

I don't work for an developer, publisher or the likes. I just think it would be kinda awesome if the developers got the money and sales they deserved, instead of seeing a substantial amount of their income disappear in the used-games market.

Castor Krieg said:
I rarely buy games on PSN and XBL apart from biggest hits, because I cannot justify the price. Also, most of my Steam collection are games I bought from Steam sales. If I want a new game and it requires Steam I will always buy Steam key locally, as it's 20%-30% cheaper. Steam prices are insane in Europe, 50EUR for a game, wtf?

I will never understand how people can not justify 1200 Microsoft Points for an amazing game, or the equivalent on PSN. If you have fun with the game, then the price/hours for money shouldn't matter.

Yagharek

Vinterbird said:
Or maybe wanting the industry talent to not be totally fucked by the consumer they are desperately trying to please?

I don't work for an developer, publisher or the likes. I just think it would be kinda awesome if the developers got the money and sales they deserved, instead of seeing a substantial amount of their income disappear in the used-games market.

Publishers/developers have no right to more money from a consumer after the initial sale (ok, except for a sub service like MMOs).

Every other industry - film, music, whitegoods, furniture, automotive, book/print, consumer electronics - has a model built around selling value for money goods and operating at a profitable level to remain in business. And competing with the used market is standard practice.

If the games industry wants to double, triple, quadruple dip (and more) on each game made it just proves that they have a broken model, are bad economic managers and according to consumer principles - are making products that are in many cases not value for money.

Publishers/devs deserve the first sale, no more. And if they keep spiting legitimate paying customers then more and more will turn towards illegitimate means of getting those games, or stop buying new games altogether.

The games industry is using too much stick, too little carrot. I wont be sympathetic towards any publishers that go under after using this scam tactic.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
NemesisPrime said:
Everybody will be doing that by next year.

Pity for the used game market and a bit unfair IMHO since other products do not do this. It is a bit against the definition of "second hand".

And every one of them will fail.

McHuj

I'm fine with this as I don't play multiplayer.

But I would actually prefer if they would sell at $60 game as a $40 single player experience and a $20 multiplayer experience. Maybe it would be a sliding scale for some games, the single player is $20 and the multi is $40 for a MP focused game like CoD.

I could get just the experience that I want for a cheaper price, but realistically that's not going to happen, they'll just tack on the cost of multiplayer to the $60 price tag.

Vinterbird said:
I will never understand how people can not justify 1200 Microsoft Points for an amazing game, or the equivalent on PSN. If you have fun with the game, then the price/hours for money shouldn't matter.

Either you're not serious, or you didn't work a single day in your life. Don't start with "15USD is so little", it's the principle that matters.

jorma

is now taking requests
Vinterbird said:

Wait what, selling your property is "shady stuff"?

klee123

Eh, was gonna buy it new anyways. I've invested way too much time in the first game and I doubt I'll be selling the games ever.

Just curisous all you folks that are like "THIS IS EVIL, NEVER BUYING A GAME AGAIN."

Have you guys seen game companies economics lately? used game sales in japan are killing companies they NEED to do this to keep surviving.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Just curisous all you folks that are like "THIS IS EVIL, NEVER BUYING A GAME AGAIN."

Have you guys seen game companies economics lately? used game sales in japan are killing companies they NEED to do this to keep surviving.

You mean those companies that take 4 years producing a game that will only sell in Japan? Also, explain to me why are U.S. game companies doing quite well?

Yagharek

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

So they are spending too much on making the games they are making, and possibly putting too many copies out on sale, creating a glut, subsequent price crashes and then they have the gall to blame people who trade in games they dont like/finish quickly?

Castor Krieg said:
This will only result in more people holding off with buying a game for 1-2 months, when the price will go down 5-10$. But then you will have developers moaning their games don't sell

You mean those companies that take 4 years producing a game that will only sell in Japan? Also, explain to me why are U.S. game companies doing quite well?

But the reason games go down in price is thanks to the used market eating sales of new games, FFXIII is a perfect example of this(Compare to Nintendo games that are on the whole brought at a much higher percentage new. , If the trend continues less and less core-marketed games will be produced and more stuff that is made for the masses who buy new will come out)

If you were around back in the SNES ERA, Games did not price drop anywhere near as much as today

Castor Krieg said:
Also, explain to me why are U.S. game companies doing quite well?

They aren't. 2009 Profits(In Millions):

Activision Blizzard -23.35 
Electronic Arts -615.96 
Ubisoft -67.34 
Take-Two -116.92 
THQ -8.66 

RandomVince said:
Publishers/developers have no right to more money from a consumer after the initial sale (ok, except for a sub service like MMOs).

Every other industry - film, music, whitegoods, furniture, automotive, book/print, consumer electronics - has a model built around selling value for money goods and operating at a profitable level to remain in business. And competing with the used market is standard practice.

If the games industry wants to double, triple, quadruple dip (and more) on each game made it just proves that they have a broken model, are bad economic managers and according to consumer principles - are making products that are in many cases not value for money.

Publishers/devs deserve the first sale, no more. And if they keep spiting legitimate paying customers then more and more will turn towards illegitimate means of getting those games, or stop buying new games altogether.

The games industry is using too much stick, too little carrot. I wont be sympathetic towards any publishers that go under after using this scam tactic.

Movies and games are different beasts all together. Movies are one/two times entertainment, cheaper for the consumer and not like games were multiplayer is something that you could play for an insane amount of time.

And still, if you buy the game new. The publisher/developer doesn't see more money then they normally would. It's for the people that buy used, and I really can not see what the problem is for publishers wanting some sort of compensation for providing content updates, patches, user statistics and the likes. There's nothing wrong with that.

Castor Krieg said:
Either you're not serious, or you didn't work a single day in your life. Don't start with "15USD is so little", it's the principle that matters.

I work two jobs and I am deadly serious. If a game if 2 hours, 40 dollars and amazing. I will buy it. I don't care about price or game time = money spent, if the game is great and fun it is worth the money asked for it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FINALFANTASYDOG said:

This one is a bit inaccurate due to deferred revenue. Activision is actually making 20% margins right now with a total profit of around $500 million to $1+ billion a year when all the dust and accounting oddities settle.

That said, the rest would be accurate.

Suzzopher said:
Publishers are cracking the whip hard on the used game market.

I think that is a good thing. Devs see no money from used game sales. Perhaps if more devs got their money's worth - half the games this gen would be worth more than shovelware.

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
If you were around back in the SNES ERA, Games did not price drop anywhere near as much as today

You need to account for the fact that many more games are producted today, gamers play more games per year, thus the need to sell some of older games in order to buy new ones. This mostly happens with games that sold fuck-a-ton initially e.g. GoW III and FFXIII ----> lots of people selling their games, not many people to buy them = low re-sale price.

It would be interesting to make an eBay analysis of all the trades for a given game e.g. after game sold 1mln new, how many sales were concluded for a Used copy of such game in 1/3/6/12 months after its release. I think game industry is approaching the problem the same way as they approach software piracy i.e. DEAD WRONG.

Other than that I'm surprised by the financials. Still, I would put my bet on bad management instead of used game sales. Funny seeing EA there, as they are the one that started "$10 USD project".

Yagharek

Vinterbird said:
And still, if you buy the game new. The publisher/developer doesn't see more money then they normally would. It's for the people that buy used, and I really can not see what the problem is for publishers wanting some sort of compensation for providing content updates, patches, user statistics and the likes. There's nothing wrong with that.

Given how tenuous the justification for title updates has become I dont buy your argument. Maybe if they had better QA in the first place such bugs wouldnt need so frequent patching?

Why should my resale value be harmed, or my ability to use my game that I paid for be limited unreasonably by publishers who want to get more money for no more work. I'm not going to reiterate it in full, but each copy sold/rebought adds no extra load on the server side of things.

This is a cash grab, plain and simple. Publishers should just stop lying about bullshit justifications for it being 'good for the consumer', raise the price of new games to $80 and see how that flies with customers instead.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vinterbird said:

Would you pay 1600 Microsoft points for an amazing game?

Stumpokapow said:
Would you pay 1600 Microsoft points for an amazing game?

I will pay whatever the publisher demands if the game is good enough. I paid 400 dollars for the complete Beatles bundle, because that was the only way to get the drums in Europe when the game launched, and I was fine with that because it was a great game and if I wanted to play it like it was intended with a full group, then I had the pay what was asked.

Yoichi Wada president of Square-enix Interview

http://www.square-enix.com/eng/company/interview3.html

In the largest retailers in the U.S., there are disturbing cases where customers planning to buy a new game are actively encouraged to buy a used copy instead. There have been a number of industry policies to battle the used game market, including a company’s plans for online aspects of future games that can only be downloaded once. However, these counter-measures are provoking a lot of controversy.

Seriously, if this is the case, then publishers simply must take steps to fight against this(the online fee to play being one). Add to the fact that Companies in America have to buy back New games that don't sale(this really hurts). It's in the best interests of game stores to essentially throw the new games in the closet until used games stock is gone.

lljride

a1m said:
I was damn excited for WKC2 and it was day 1 for me but now.. fuck you Sony. Won't buy just to rebel against this crap.

This is the problem with implementing the one time license, especially with a more niche game like WKC2 (not saying you're wrong to feel like that a1m, quite the opposite). It always felt like there was a shortage of people around my Guild Rank when I played WKC anyway (whether that was true or not, there was always a little bit of a hassle involved with finding a party), and unless they make some significant changes to the online structure it'll be an even bigger issue with WKC2. Less people buying used, and less people buying new to protest this new policy on consoles (not to mention the average to poor word of mouth the first one received anyway). That's a pretty big problem when you're expected to put in 500+ hours to do everything online with a group of people.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Vinterbird said:
I will pay whatever the publisher demands if the game is good enough. I paid 400 dollars for the complete Beatles bundle, because that was the only way to get the drums in Europe when the game launched, and I was fine with that because it was a great game and if I wanted to play it like it was intended with a full group, then I had the pay what was asked.

Would you have paid 800 dollars for the complete Beatles bundle?

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

Electronic Arts -615.96 
Ubisoft -67.34 
Take-Two -116.92 
THQ -8.66 
Numbers would be considerably better if they weren't renting out Staples for $775 million :p

FINALFANTASYDOG said:
Yoichi Wada president of Square-enix Interview

http://www.square-enix.com/eng/company/interview3.html

Seriously, if this is the case, then publishers simply must take steps to fight against this(the online fee to play being one). Add to the fact that Companies in America have to buy back New games that don't sale(this really hurts). It's in the best interests of game stores to essentially throw the new games in the closet until used games stock is gone.

How are gamers at fault here? It's Gamespot's business-model to earn profit on Used games. Again, maybe try and tackle retailers, instead of customers?

ReyBrujo

If I consider the online factor as an extra service and not an integral part of the game itself, I don't have any problem with having to buy access. The online infrastructure grows more complex, companies are forced to keep them up for several years even if there are few active players (which requires maintenance, upgrades, etc).

If I sell you my WoW disc, you will have to pay the online subscription anyways. And here you can play the game offline without restrictions (while WoW doesn't have one). Think of it as a one-time fee, and it makes sense.

ReyBrujo said:
If I consider the online factor as an extra service and not an integral part of the game itself, I don't have any problem with having to buy access. The online infrastructure grows more complex, companies are forced to keep them up for several years even if there are few active players (which requires maintenance, upgrades, etc).

If I sell you my WoW disc, you will have to pay the online subscription anyways. And here you can play the game offline without restrictions (while WoW doesn't have one). Think of it as a one-time fee, and it makes sense.

Fine, let's do like this: sell the game for 40USD single player only, full price for multiplayer component. Any takers?

FINALFANTASYDOG said:

I'm not going to argue this here but i firmly believe that destorying the used game market will really hurt publishers and it isn't this massive untapped marekt that they see.

This issue has been discussed many times before and others like segata have put it much better than myself so i can't be bothered repeating worn out arguments.

Gattsu25

Banned
First is online registration for online
Next is online registration for even single player
Then the online activation limits begin
And finally Ubisoft comes in and requires a persistent online connection for all gameplay online or off

Welcome, console gamers, to the future of gaming.

Too bad you are locked to your console manufacturer's online solution and cannot be saved by Steam.

Top Bottom