• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is teasing a game reveal on 4/19 "Will vengeance bring redemption?"

i-Lo

I've always wondered why Kratos talks like those gangster/rappers from the ghetto who made it big in Hollywood's action shitflicks. Is the voicework done by a black man or by someone just pretending-to-be? Either way he sounds ridiculous, completely out of character for the way he looks.
Although even that wasn't enough to make me dislike GOW3.

Fact: The voice actor is black.

Now then, in the time that I have seen movies with "gangsters/rappers" it has come to my attention that a certain way of speaking exists. Kratos to my knowledge does not sound anything like that. He is quite shouty and melodramatic but do enlighten me if he uses special jargons that make him a "gangster/rapper".

Well, Jaffe had a lot of different ideas for where he would have liked to have seen it gone, as evidenced by the end vids in GoW1.

Ultimately, it'll be hard for Sony to ditch Kratos for fear of fan backlash. They'd have to do something really creative, like bring in the Norse gods at the end of 3, and Kratos taking a seat among them in Asgard or something, and getting emo for some other reason (maybe Loki is toying with his families souls?).

I'm skeptical though. I'm thinking this will be a prequel or something, and they'll somehow jam it right back into Greek Mythology and "play it safe".
Ah, that sort of unclogs my memory on one of the specific ideas Jaffe had to continue the franchise. Still a bit fuzzy.

It wasn't so much like I made it sound, running around randomly into new mythologies killing everything. It was more of an idea of a parallel universe where all the mythologies are actual history. God of War would go through the rise and fall of each mythology and Kratos, being immortal, would live through it all. So sorta like you said, at the end of 3 after killing everything in Greek Mythology the Norse gods are introduced and rule the world in place of the dead Greek gods until ultimately one of them does something to piss off Kratos and he gets his vengeance on them all and they all die, then another mythology's gods come in and take over and the cycle would go on and on until eventually Kratos is in present day with Christianity - in which case the franchise would immediately become incredibly controversial.

the announcement is on Thursday and Thursday is Gametrailers TV day and Geoff Keighley tweeted a link to this very thread.

Guys I think I see a pattern here.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fact: The voice actor is black.

Now then, in the time that I have seen movies with "gangsters/rappers" it has come to my attention that a certain way of speaking exists. Kratos to my knowledge does not sound anything like that. He is quite shouty and melodramatic but do enlighten me if he uses special jargons that make him a "gangster/rapper".

Ok. This is more like it. This is what I intended. Too forced, like a caricature. I can see where you're coming from, you said it better than I did (well english's not my first launguage but I can hold a conversation, although it can happen to use the wrong words). He doesn't use jargons so definitely rapper wasn't the right way to express it, but you can sound like a gangster without them I guess? I mean, I can definitely sounds like a gangster without using jargons.

So is Kratos himself, his pale complexion comes from the ashes of his family's burned bodies being fused into his skin.

Mind.Blown.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Just thinking about all the awesome fights in GoW3 - Cronos, Poseidon, Hercules makes me so excited for this. I think people give less credit to GoW3, it truly was a memorable game. I know Kratos is a boring protagonist, but let's see what they do here.

jett

D-Member
Kratos is dark-skinned in GOW1's cut-scenes.

0xdsD.png

Not like it matters one way or the other.

Just thinking about all the awesome fights in GoW3 - Cronos, Poseidon, Hercules makes me so excited for this. I think people give less credit to GoW3, it truly was a memorable game. I know Kratos is a boring protagonist, but let's see what they do here.

Yeah, the game was probably the most epic thing I've played all gen.

Uncharted series gets a lot of credit, but IMHO it is not nearly as epic as God of War.

It makes me wonder how fucking batshit insane God of War 4 is going to be, with another ~3 year dev cycle and all that experience making God of War 3 already.

I wonder if we'll see an Uncharted --> Uncharted 2 sized leap. Probably not as big, but wouldn't surprise me to see some ridiculous over the top stuff.

I've always wondered why Kratos talks like those gangster/rappers from the ghetto who made it big in Hollywood's action shitflicks. Is the voicework done by a black man or by someone just pretending-to-be? Either way he sounds ridiculous, completely out of character for the way he looks.
Although even that wasn't enough to make me dislike GOW3.

The guy who voices him is black. I don't know where you're getting the gangster stuff from though...

jett

D-Member
I'd say that's more because the lighting is bad. Kratos is from Sparta, he's not dark skinned. But like you said, not like it matters.

Spartans of the time didn't shave their heads either. :p I doubt they had neatly kept goatees either. I don't think you should look at history when it comes to these games.

God of War 3 had my favourite boss fights of this generation, that's for sure. They were fantastic.

I am getting tired of Kratos though. He never changes or learns anything, it's just flat out murder murder murder. There's no one left to get vengeance on!

Unless you count Ghost-Athena

I really hope to see a new mythology, new gods. If it's Kratos being transplanted into another mythology... eh, could be interesting, but only if his character actually develops and changes.

Edit: Jaffe once said he'd cast Djimon Hansou as Kratos. That'd be awesome.

i-Lo

Spartans of the time didn't shave their heads either. :p I doubt they had neatly kept goatees either. I don't think you should look at history when it comes to these games.

Kratos' father is Zeus and his mother was greek. He has the Mediterranean tan I'd say. But he is Caucasian nonetheless. Plus, Kratos has been bald (or had a shaved head) since childhood.

God of War 3 had my favourite boss fights of this generation, that's for sure. They were fantastic.

I am getting tired of Kratos though. He never changes or learns anything, it's just flat out murder murder murder. There's no one left to get vengeance on!

Unless you count Ghost-Athena

I really hope to see a new mythology, new gods. If it's Kratos being transplanted into another mythology... eh, could be interesting, but only if his character actually develops and changes.

Edit: Jaffe once said he'd cast Djimon Hansou as Kratos. That'd be awesome.

Yea, Kratos is quite an one dimensional character. But I can definitely empathize with the rage. I just don't know if I'd be able to rage on as long as he has.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Yeah, the game was probably the most epic thing I've played all gen.

Uncharted series gets a lot of credit, but IMHO it is not nearly as epic as God of War.

It makes me wonder how fucking batshit insane God of War 4 is going to be, with another ~3 year dev cycle and all that experience making God of War 3 already.

I wonder if we'll see an Uncharted --> Uncharted 2 sized leap. Probably not as big, but wouldn't surprise me to see some ridiculous over the top stuff.
I'll take GoW3 level graphics anyday, though; it will be incredible if we can see a leap like UC1 to UC2. I just want more variety like GoW2 had; that was the only thing lacking in GoW3. I have faith in SSM, they're up there with ND when it comes to pushing tech.

I think SSM is too talented to be making God of War forever. I hope they can make a game with more to do in it that just kill hordes of dudes wrapped in godly graphics. If it is a next GOW, I hope they bring some fresh new ideas to the gameplay, rather than adding an extra mechanic to this ancient gameplay.

Yea, Kratos is quite an one dimensional character. But I can definitely empathize with the rage. I just don't know if I'd be able to rage on as long as he has.
Yeah, most guys I know will rage for a little bit and then get over it pretty quickly like nothing even happened. Now if Kratos was a women it'd make a lot more sense :p

i-Lo

I'll take GoW3 level graphics anyday, though; it will be incredible if we can see a leap like UC1 to UC2. I just want more variety like GoW2 had; that was the only thing lacking in GoW3. I have faith in SSM, they're up there with ND when it comes to pushing tech.

Imagine what they'd do with PS4 *salivates*

I did like that they tried to somewhat make him more three dimensional with his interactions with Pandora in the third game, but he's still... such a dick.

boring protagonist my ass, he's a rage filled badass that fucks up everything in his way. even before he became the god of war, even before he got his chain blades, he was fucking shit up everywhere and taking over. he's just a violent guy. its quite refreshing from every other character who are good guys needing to kill in bad situations.

boring protagonist my ass, he's a rage filled badass that fucks up everything in his way. even before he became the god of war, even before he got his chain blades, he was fucking shit up everywhere and taking over. he's just a violent guy. its quite refreshing from every other character who are good guys needing to kill in bad situations.

Drake must have 5 figures kill count by now... :lol

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Definitely... until he opens his mouth. I'm not the only one who thinks this way, though.

Placeholder most likely.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
wow People are arguing about Kratos racial background? I expected more from gaf members.

There's not much to argue about, really. He was Greek, he had olive tan skin like any other average Greek person of his time would have, and that's all there is to it. Not that it really matters much anyway.

Can't wait to see GOW4 graphics shit over The Last of us muahaha JK

Although it is nice to this of SSM vs ND

I'd be very surprised if either game ended up shitting on the other graphically. You're talking about two A-tier teams, so I can't see either of them being outdone in a major way.

jett

D-Member
I'd be very surprised if either game ended up shitting on the other graphically. You're talking about two A-tier teams, so I can't see either of them being outdone in a major way.

The Last of Us will lose this battle simply because of the more grounded nature of the game. It will never have set pieces as insane as a GOW game can allow.

i-Lo

So will this come out this holiday or 2013?

I'd say just before or around the launch of PS4 if history is anything to go by. GoW2 launched in March 07 when PS3 was already in the market. If it is indeed GoW4, I expect it to be the swansong for the system.

The Last of Us will lose this battle simply because of the more grounded nature of the game. It will never have set pieces as insane as a GOW game can allow.

They'll still have different pluses. I fully expect TLoU to have better animation simply because it is grounded. It's important to make the characters animate in a convincing way. GoW will certainly be the bigger spectacle just because of the nature of the series. It's worth remembering that Uncharted isn't as insane as GoW3, but many considered U2 to be the better looking game.

So will this come out this holiday or 2013?

I'd expect GoW4 or TLoU to be Sony's big end of the year game. The other one would fit in with an early 2013 release.

i-Lo

In all this hype I wanted to know what makes it so certain that the platform for launch will be PS3 instead of PSV?

Whichever one doesn't come out for Xmas out of TLOU and GOW IV, the other will be the Spring game. Sony needs a big Xmas game.

What does Sony even have for the rest of the year aside from Starhawk? It looks like a very dry year compared to the last 3. WWS basically had a big game every single quarter since 2008. Seems like Vita/PS4 dev is taking its toll.

Carnby

In all this hype I wanted to know what makes it so certain that the platform for launch will be PS3 instead of PSV?

If it is released for the Vita, you can bet it will also be released on the PS3 too. PSV's marketing campaign brags about playing game saves on both platforms. Without a PS3 version they wouldn't have much to brag about.

Top Bottom