• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Lowers MSRP on 17 titles August 14th (PS3 and Vita)

5amshift

Banned
Amazing prices all around! Definitely going to pick up some Vita games before they (hopefully) announce this price drop!

Tagg9

EBGames.ca has now lowered the price on all PS3 & Vita games, for those of you in Canada. I just ordered Jak&Daxter from them.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Does Gran Turismo XL have any vouchers or online passes? I'd love to use a B2G1 used coupon on these games.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Will this eventually reflect on the online store? I'm still waiting on HSG, was discounted a few weeks ago now it's back up to $36. Really keen on a price drop :p

jcutner

This is gonna be a semi-random question but if I were to buy GT5 XL, are there any complete save game files I can get for GT5? Or is the PS3 too locked down to allow for importing save games off a USB key or otherwise.

That's one of the main things that put me off GT5 the first time around, the awful career progression.

Edit: confirmed - gt5 XL is $19.99 at EB games canada in store, also they claim it's a sale, not a MSRP drop - good ol EB.

Vitacat

None of the Vita games have dropped price yet on PSN.

It's now September 1st, and some of these PSN prices are insane compared to MSRP:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational - $19.99 --> PSN wants $35.99
Little Deviants - $19.99 --> PSN wants $26.99
ModNation Racers: Road Trip - $19.99 --> PSN wants $26.99
Reality Fighter - $19.99 --> PSN wants $35.99
Resistance: Burning Skies - $29.99 --> PSN wants $35.99
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - $39.99 --> PSN wants $44.99
Unit 13 - $29.99 --> PSN wants $35.99
Wipeout 2048 - $19.99 --> PSN wants $35.99

When the heck is Sony going to drop them? No box, no shipping, no ability to resell/trade... the digital versions should be the cheap ones. WTF SONY?!

Massa

It's now September 1st, and some of these PSN prices are insane compared to MSRP:

When the heck is Sony going to drop them? No box, no shipping, no ability to resell/trade... the digital versions should be the cheap ones. WTF SONY?!

The PS3 games haven't dropped either.

Vitacat

Is PSN completely separate from the retail division of SCE?! Do they not communicate, or coordinate with each other?

I'm completely mystified by stuff like this. So many more Vita games would sell on PSN if they'd just match their own MSRP's. I would jump on 2 or 3 of those titles on PSN if they were priced as the carts (or less, as they were supposed to be).

Love Sony products, hate Sony's inept management.

teiresias

Perhaps you didn't notice the flurry of threads concerning the incompetence of SCEA immediately after the PSOne Classics on Vita debacle. There's a reason everyone thinks Tretton and company are a bunch of bumbling idiots.

Skyzard

Banned
Perhaps it is to increase retail sales to get more vita FaceTime in the states?

They do need some decent psn sales though, hope you guys get some decent ones during christmas at least.

I got tired of waiting and just bought the retail versions. Less convenient but at least I'll be able to sell them along with the system when it "dies".

Vitacat

I got tired of waiting and just bought the retail versions. Less convenient but at least I'll be able to sell them along with the system when it "dies".

*sigh*

I just bought Gravity Rush on PSN, and love having it there on my system. I really don't want to juggle little carts if I don't have to. Really starting to understand why SCE is struggling lately. Horrible management, and seemingly zero regard for customers.

Yes this is a major disappointment. I want to buy jak, sly, etc on psn but the prices are insane compared to retail, which maks no sense since its way more profitable for Sony if I buy them through the psn store. Wtf is their problem? It's like their departments do t communicate with each other

flippedb

Banned
Golden Abyss came out in 2012, Uncharted 3 came out in 2011 and has a GOTY edition coming. Not a huge surprise really.

But you know which is the better game. Plus, one could help Sony move more units of it's zombie portable console, since it's the only "Big" name it has.

But oh well, Sony doesn't like selling, it appears.

Takao

Banned
But you know which is the better game. Plus, one could help Sony move more units of it's zombie portable console, since it's the only "Big" name it has.

But oh well, Sony doesn't like selling, it appears.

I don't like Uncharted so I've played neither, but I've heard many say Golden Abyss is the better game ...

Saroyan

Golden Abyss is the only Uncharted I've played, and I thought it was a lot of fun, good enough that I played through it 3 times for the platinum.

Zeroth

Have they ever been called on it by any big game sites? I really wish someone with a real soapbox would ask questions about these insane, inconsistent, anti-consumer pricing policies.

It's funny because there are summer sales and stuff in the PSN where many prices drop, but I don't think they ever dropped the prices of full games on them. I wonder if this is a strategy to keep retail competitive (or give it an edge) in the long run.

Vitacat

It's funny because there are summer sales and stuff in the PSN where many prices drop, but I don't think they ever dropped the prices of full games on them. I wonder if this is a strategy to keep retail competitive (or give it an edge) in the long run.

When it comes to Vita, retail will always have an edge anyway -- the expensive memory cards one needs to store those huge PSN games!

Either way, the game prices ought to be consistent. Even if they decide to not price digital versions below MSRP anymore (i.e. 10% lower), then at least make them the same price. But for cripes sakes, the digital copies SHOULD be cheaper -- no box, no shipping, no trading/reselling/used etc.

Sony is ultimately competing against the Apple app store. Vita offers a far better gaming experience mainly because of the controls, but if they aren't at least consistent with game prices people will keep looking at those app store prices, where even just $10 goes a long, long way.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
They're obviously trying to give retail sales a bit of a kick, as someone else said here. Just sucks that their digital customers get messed around. Maybe the price drop is coming but they're just milking a bit more out of the current prices while they can? SCEA being typically shit.

Massa

Just received my "PlayStation Weekly Update" and they're actually advertising the God of War Origins Collection for $39.99. The same one you get when you buy the God of War Saga at retail for $39.99.

What is wrong with you, Sony?

Takao

Banned
There was a sale where it was 50% off, for the Olympics. HSG and Virtua Tennis, the only two Vita retail games to ever go on sale in the NA PSN store.

Oh yeah, that's how I bought VT4.

VT4 is a beast mode game. Y'all should buy it if you haven't! 60fps and native res *drools*

Hot shots was already 15 for months on PSN right? Or is that only a part of the game?

No, in the US the MSRP in stores for a physical copy was $19.99 and in the PSN store it was $35.99 for digital. Both those prices were offically set by Sony, not retailers.

Binabik15

Hot Shots and Uncharted 3 get.

I hope next gen sees more deals from the publishers or digital store owners, not just retail bombing, games must move in the first week or bust as it is right now for 99% of games.

Picked up retail copy of HotShots Golf for £5 when Blockbuster were having a clearance of Vita games. Really good game looking forward to 6 coming to the PS3

Top Bottom