• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, Microsoft Aren't 'Screwing Up at the Starting Line' for Next-Gen, Says Todd Howard – Bethesda Knew Fallout 76 'Would Have Bumps'.

Thabass

Doom+Doom Eternal..Wolfenstein...Dishonored..Evil Within...TES VI..Starfield..

F76 is the only one you can remember?

Cmon guys you can do better than this

I can do better: Fallout 3, IV, 76, Elders Scrolls Oblivion, Skyrim. They're all either mediocre or launched buggy as hell. He then had the audacity to mock the net when people called out that BGS games were buggy by giving a sarcastic line: "Well, if the internet says it has to be true!".

I don't hate BGS or even Todd Howard, but he can be a disingenuous guy and BGS isn't the greatest studio in existence.

Sidenote: Actually, I think Bethesda does a better job of publishing games than making them. Doom, Prey, Rage 2, Wolfenstein, Dishonored are all better games and are all published by Bethesda and developed by other studios.

Last edited:

somerset

The *one* thing I can never get my head around is this.

Zenimax *loves* money, but it is Todd and Todd alone who prevents the hiring of a third-party dev to bang out rapid on-current engine 'sequels' to Fallout and Skyrim- titles that would cost pennies and yet make a good chunk of a billion dollars each.

Todd Howard has only *one* concern- to kill any and all 'competition' to titles he personally has direct and intimate control over, and damn profit and mindshare. Despite the idiocy of some comments here. Todd is the *big boss* and the only source of toxic decision making at Beth, a division of Zenimax that controls the lion's share of all of Zenimax game output.

It is easier to state the games that Todd does not control, and Elder Scrolls online is pretty much the only major one.

Todd is probably the vilest 'top boss' in the games industry today- he is driven entirely by his hatred of the success Fallout:NV received, and his only coherent 'policy' is to ensure under his watch, no indy team ever gets 'his' glory again.

The gamer suffers. The lover of the Fallout and Elder Scrolls IP suffers. And it doesn't even make any commercial sense. But Zenimax is owned and run by non-gamers, and they *trust* Todd cos of the amazing commercial success of Skyrim and the Fallout games (til 76).

I know of no other person (in his pos in the game biz) who could have smirkingly given this interview- where he admits to being a crook, a crook who works on the absolute assumption that his target gaming 'consumers' are utter morons. I for sure, the top guys at EA think this- so do many of the others. But to proudly say it in public, and then know that dumb dumbs will continue to buy Beth games (and defend them when they are sh-t) is really something.

Are gamers that thick? Well I was shocked and depressed at how few gamers noticed Wolf 2 and Dishonored 2 were sh-t compared to their very good predecessors. It seems that gamers just are not very discerning on average- unless the fall in quality is blindingly obvious in the crudest fashion, most are just bamboozled by graphics and cut-scenes, or *gimmicks* (as in D2).

Yeah, for sure there are many mediocre games one can make it to the end, and get that X number of hours of gameplay. I'm sure everyone finished Rage 2. But experiencing the whole of a game does not mean the game was good.

That Todd is a moral blackhole impacts everything Beth does. No matter how hard the owned teams at Beth work, Todd's dirty fingers taint every pie. Technically there is some fine work at Beth- Dishonored 2's morphing mansion was ingeneous. But the *art*- which in games is the gameplay- is pure sh-t. One's gameplay around the every changing building was some of the worst I've enountered, and so lame compared to the gameplay in Dishonored(1) it was just sickening.

With Todd in charge *nothing* good can now come out of Beth. I by this I do not mean a new game can't have some interesting aspect. Rage 2 showed the problem. The techies certainly banged some aspects of quality into the reworked Mad Max 2- but taken as a whole the game was an atrocity, when it was oh so clear that much time money an effort on that engine should have given us something killer. Mad Max (1) is a vastly better game than rage 2.

Beth = Woke + MTX.
Todd = Big Boss with zero respect for gamers.

Ribi

"A lot of that is very well-deserved criticism. "

no all of it you coward howard! NPCs man... NPCs who wants holotapes???????????????

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Dude is lucky Skyrim turned into such a big hit. They don’t have to do anything just press that game as many times as you can.

Quality control has straight gone down the tubes. It’s isnt just one game either their games have just gotten more and more shit with the only reason to play them being the rubbish you put on the ground will remain there. Weak fucking gimmick for an engine IMO.

They coast on brand recognition and goodwill at this point

Riven326

Banned
Dude is lucky Skyrim turned into such a big hit. They don’t have to do anything just press that game as many times as you can.

Quality control has straight gone down the tubes. It’s isnt just one game either their games have just gotten more and more shit with the only reason to play them being the rubbish you put on the ground will remain there. Weak fucking gimmick for an engine IMO.

They coast on brand recognition and goodwill at this point
They really have rested on their laurels for too long. They have fallen behind virtually every other studio that makes open world games. They need to take the time to develop a new engine and invest more into technology r&d.

Plenty of devs make a new engine when they feel they have to. It seems like Beth just doesn't want to put the work in.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
So you respect Todd Howard for keeping all the problems F76 had (and still has) during developtment a secret and releasing it anyway at full price? You respect Todd Howard for lying about microtransactions being cosmetic only? You respect Todd Howard for releasing patches which made the game worse? You respect Todd Howard for using the same garbage engine for new games? You respect Todd Howard for knowlingly selling a plastic bag while it was advertised to be nylon? You respect Todd Howard for banning people who accidently discovered glitches left in the game by Bethesda themselves?

I don't.

I respect him for what he is...

For becoming the creative talent and forefront leaders in gaming...

The creative talent behind the biggest and most iconic rpg game in gaming history

I see F76 as an obstacle that needs to be forgotten

I already move on with it, if you people want to argue about Fallout 76 all day so be it but im not interested

Lets be honest here when TES VI released yall be suckered into it and none of these matters anymore

Look this is the kind of mob mentallity of gaming forum i always talk about

Each time someone gets named..wether its Kojima, Gaben, Tod, Cliff, Phil Spencer, Mikami, Mark Cerny or anyone got mentioned..

They always got crucified by gaming community no matter what..its just the way it is....people always hate something popular..

Sorry but i ve comes to the terms that this always be the outlook by gaming community as a whole..

Have a good day everyone

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Stafford

Just watched the interview. Cool stuff. He also says "I want you to be very patient" when asked if we can expect Starfield at the next E3, so next year.

Starting to sound like 2020 isn't a guarantee at all.

nowhat

Lets be honest here when TES VI released yall be suckered into it and none of these matters anymore
Sorry but i ve comes to the terms that this always be the outlook by gaming community as a whole..
So hypothetically - if Todd Howard comes forward and says I will no longer be killed by a loading screen (which happened to me multiple times in FO4 - yes, I was killed by an elevator, suddenly dropping through the floor) in TES 6, and yet it happens, I shouldn't be pissed off?

Glad to know. I'll stock up my reaction gifs for that moment.

So hypothetically - if Todd Howard comes forward and says I will no longer be killed by a loading screen (which happened to me multiple times in FO4 - yes, I was killed by an elevator, suddenly dropping through the floor) in TES 6, and yet it happens, I shouldn't be pissed off?

Glad to know. I'll stock up my reaction gifs for that moment.
Apparently, you should also just forget about Fallout 76 and buy everything Bethesda release from here on in. Because Todd looks nice.

And let's face it, we're only annoyed about Bethesda knowingly releasing broken games and charging full price for them because they're popular. Or something.

There are some seriously fresh takes in this thread.

Geki-D

Banned
There are meant to be no more loading screens next gen, so you're good to go!
vault-boy.png

(or you'll still fall through the lift, only it'll happen instantly because of how fast the loading is)

Top Bottom