• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony, Microsoft Aren't 'Screwing Up at the Starting Line' for Next-Gen, Says Todd Howard – Bethesda Knew Fallout 76 'Would Have Bumps'.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

On this week’s episode of IGN Unfiltered, Bethesda’s own director Todd Howard sat down with host Ryan McCaffrey, saying that Bethesda saw a lot of these woes coming as the game neared its release date.

“That was a very difficult development on that game to get it where it was,” Howard told IGN. “We were ready for...a lot of those difficulties that ended up on the screen. We knew, hey look, this is not the type of game that people are used to from us and we're going to get some criticism on it. A lot of that is very well-deserved criticism.”

Howard also shared his thoughts on Fallout 76’s near future, hopes for improving the game and increasing Bethesda’s ability to listen to community input, and what lessons Bethesda learned from the troubled launch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bethesda director Todd Howard is one of the lucky industry leaders who often gets an early look at the hardware that will determine the capabilities of the next generation, and on this month’s IGN Unfiltered, he has some positive, but very select words about what he’s seen on the horizon from major industry figures.

“They’re doing the right things,” Howard told IGN. “The things everybody is doing, in my mind, no one is screwing up at the starting line, which some people have done before.”

Howard added that he believes the advancements made by this upcoming generation of console hardware will help the kinds of games that Bethesda builds (typically expansive RPGs) "tremendously," specifically referencing Sony's demonstrations of rapidly decreased load times on the next PlayStation console. Howard also said he looks forward to alternate business models for game developers, publishers, and platforms continuing to grow.

"Gaming is finally reaching the point that linear entertainment is," Howard said. "Movies, television, all that, where you're going to have games that are big tentpoles that people can buy for $60. That's kind of like going to the theater. You're going to have games you can play on a subscription service, you're going to have ones you can download on your phone, you're going to have ones you can play and they're ad-supported. I think that's really healthy for the industry; obviously the players who want to consume it, but [also] the developers who say 'I just want to make an adventure game for this budget.' There's an audience for that. My worry before was hey, will all of that go away?"

A poster, only yesterday, said Todd would get on stage and do a big apology for how bad Fallout 76 was and make a joke about it, while peddling all the excuses in the world for why it was so bad.

Was that poster a prophet?

Sounds like another game “designer” we know,

Just confuse the fuck out of them so they don’t even know what they are buying.

HYPE!
giphy.gif

So, you admit to knowingly releasing a broken POS.

Wrong. This is exactly what people are used to from you.

Never change, Todd.
They've knowingly released a few broken pieces of shit. Unfortunately they got away with it, which is why they thought they'd get away with releasing this shit, too. Thankfully the gaming community finally pulled them on their crap and let them know in no uncertain terms that this kind of thing is unacceptable. Hopefully it's a lesson learned. Time will tell.

Kagey K

Banned
They've knowingly released a few broken pieces of shit. Unfortunately they got away with it, which is why they thought they'd get away with releasing this shit, too. Thankfully the gaming community finally pulled them on their crap and let them know in no uncertain terms that this kind of thing is unacceptable. Hopefully it's a lesson learned. Time will tell.
Did they though?

Did they really? It’s among the top played, bought and downloaded on both the PS4 and XB1 gaming cHarts.

So what did they learn exactly?

The game received garbage reviews, is widely seen as a punchline and the name of Bethesda has been dragged through the mud like never before. They were practically giving the game away to get rid of it.

So I'll go with 'don't release games in this shitty state again.'

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
A poster, only yesterday, said Todd would get on stage and do a big apology for how bad Fallout 76 was and make a joke about it, while peddling all the excuses in the world for why it was so bad.

Was that poster a prophet?

He hasnt made any big apology. Instead he said it doesnt matter how you launch its what the game becomes.

what a dickhead

Airbus Jr

Banned
I dont understand why the gaming community has come to this

Everyone seems to be so hateful and angry around here

Is it cool now to hate this guy?

He always look like a nice person to me why you guys hate him so much?

Because of Fallout 76? Its just one game man jesus give him a break

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
“They’re doing the right things,” Howard told IGN. “The things everybody is doing, in my mind, no one is screwing up at the starting line, which some people have done before.”
What is he going to say 'Well Microsoft is doing great but Sony is screwing up at the starting line'?

He wouldn't say that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
The game received garbage reviews, is widely seen as a punchline and the name of Bethesda has been dragged through the mud like never before. They were practically giving the game away to get rid of it.

So I'll go with 'don't release games in this shitty state again.'

Doom+Doom Eternal..Wolfenstein...Dishonored..Evil Within...TES VI..Starfield..

F76 is the only one you can remember?

Cmon guys you can do better than this

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

He launched a broken product surrounded by a cloud of lies and it burnt thought the remaining good will like napalm. He admits he knew it was fucked, but sold it anyway. If he was a nice person he wouldn't have charged players for the game he knew was a pile of shit.

Stop apologizing for a shitlord that doesn' give a crap about you. He's not your friend. His job is to make money and say whatever it takes to get his job done.

Skyrim on PS3. A broken piece of shit that they never bothered fixing. Fallout 3 and its bugged as hell dlc.

Naming games that Bethesda didn't even make is irrelevant. Likewise, naming games that they ARE making but haven't released yet.

Todd looks nice? Who cares?

Airbus Jr

Banned
He launched a broken product surrounded by a cloud of lies and it burnt thought the remaining good will like napalm. He admits he knew it was fucked, but sold it anyway. If he was a nice person he wouldn't have charged players for the game he knew was a pile of shit.

Stop apologizing for a shitlord that doesn' give a crap about you. He's not your friend. His job is to make money and say whatever it takes to get his job done.

Ok now you need to cool your head theres alot hate words inserted there

Guys not in charge/involved in everything ok

Bet the same angry people here are going to be the same guy picking TES VI

Last edited:

Starfield

Y'all acting like gaming companies do videogames mainly for fun and for the fans...well I got bad news for you, gaming companies are trying to sell you a product and....that's it. They literally produce these games to make money.

Don't get so hurt and bitchy. If a product sucks or is not met with the standards it was promised then don't blindly buy it and complain. Wait.

Y'all acting like gaming companies do videogames mainly for fun and for the fans...well I got bad news for you, gaming companies are trying to sell you a product and....that's it. They literally produce these games to make money.

Don't get so hurt and bitchy. If a product sucks or is not met with the standards it was promised then don't blindly buy it and complain. Wait.
I didn't buy it.

Shifty

So ?

Because F76 is bad so every upcoming bethesda game going to be bad too?
The released games in that list are made by id, id, MachineGames, Arkane, and Tango Gameworks respectively.

TES VI and Starfield are the only two actually being made by Bethesda Game Studios, and for all we know right now they're going to be just as buggy as Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4 and Fallout 76 were.

Why are you cherrypicking and going out on a limb to defend the PR mouthpiece of a studio that consistently promises the world and then releases a broken mess?

And that's to say nothing of this dumb conflation between Bethesda Softworks (the publisher) and Bethesda Game Studios (the game studio with legendarily poor quality control standards.)

So ?

Because F76 is bad so every upcoming bethesda game going to be bad too?
What on earth are you babbling about? Please stop making up nonsense and concentrate on the topic at hand. Which is Bethesda being fully aware that Fallout 76 was a broken mess and releasing it anyway.

Dontero

Banned
x - Doubt

While developers like CDPROJECT went from ps3 era to ps4 era by having 100s of npcs on screen, no loading screens, city that is bigger than all of skyrim cities combined and they made 2 more like that in single game.

Betsheda upgraded their games from 10 npcs on screen max to maybe 11 or 12 with again loading times and huge cities which look like just ramshacks dwelled by 20 people. At the same time they even reduced amount of interaction and made quests even worse than in Fallout 3 which already was bad.

Maybe thanks to power of next gen consoles they will be able to have 15 npcs on screen and cities maybe size of Kaer Trolde.

So ? Because F76 is bad so every upcoming bethesda game going to be bad too?

Keep fighting lost cause.

Riven326

Banned
I think it would be best for us to look to the future. Can Bethesda redeem itself with Starfield? I would like to think so. Only time will tell.

Nevertheless, can anyone tell me the state of 76 these days? I was always interested in the game. But with the negative reception I stayed away.

Last edited:

nowhat

Ok now you need to cool your head theres alot hate words inserted there

Guys not in charge/involved in everything ok

Bet the same angry people here are going to be the same guy picking TES VI
Yeah, but he's the one giving the PR and telling how "it just works". Are we to accept flat out lying to customers?

Airbus Jr

Banned
damn son...so the right attitude here is to get angry right?

Ok then i suppose im going to get angry too like the rest of ya...

AAAAARRRGHHHHH!!

ARRRRRGHHH!

ARRRRRRRRGHHHH

ARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

ÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tenor.gif

And after The Elder Scroll VI released everyone here going to be like...

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Shifty

damn son...so the right attitude here is to get angry right?

Ok then i suppose im going to get angry too like the rest of ya...

AAAAARRRGHHHHH!!

ARRRRRGHHH!

ARRRRRRRRGHHHH

ARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

ÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

tenor.gif
If sarcasm in gif form is the best you've got, I worry for the veracity of your argument.

And after the Elder Scroll VI release everyone going to be like

tenor.gif
Bookmarking this so you can be called out for it when the game releases and immediately falls apart like a clown car.

Funny calm hulk clip though.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
If sarcasm in gif form is the best you've got, I worry for the veracity of your argument.

Bookmarking this so you can be called out for it when the game releases and immediately falls apart like a clown car.

Funny calm hulk clip though.

dude im actually agreeing with you guys now

hating bethesda...

Isnt that what im supp to do? what u guys asking for?

Now im doing exactly what you want but you guys still hate me too

Seems like theres no end to this bitterness

i just want everyone to be happy ok

tenor.gif

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Shifty

dude im agreeing with you guys now

hating bethesda...

Isnt that what im supp to do what u guys asking for?

Now im doing exactly what you want but you guys still hate me too

Seems like theres no end to this bitterness

The sarcasm is transparent like a window :messenger_tears_of_joy:

MMaRsu

Banned

Ahh someone who doesnt anything about who Bethesda the game dev and Bethesda the publisher is, that they are two entirely seperate entities and that Todd Howard has zip nada nothing to do with the games you listen ( aside from tes starfield ).

Dont try to tell us why Todd Howard doesnt deserve any shit, when this guy has been lying his ass off to sell his products for years now.

Get outta here with this disingenous bullshit

• Triggered
Reactions: TLZ

MMaRsu

Banned
MonsterKillah stop shitting on this thread, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. And then crying that we shouldnt have any beef with Todd.

Just stop dude.

Shaqazooloo

On this week’s episode of IGN Unfiltered, Bethesda’s own director Todd Howard sat down with host Ryan McCaffrey, saying that Bethesda saw a lot of these woes coming as the game neared its release date.
This isn't exactly new, they pretty much said before the game launched that it was gonna be broken.

Last edited:

Simply_Bry

So you respect Todd Howard for keeping all the problems F76 had (and still has) during developtment a secret and releasing it anyway at full price? You respect Todd Howard for lying about microtransactions being cosmetic only? You respect Todd Howard for releasing patches which made the game worse? You respect Todd Howard for using the same garbage engine for new games? You respect Todd Howard for knowlingly selling a plastic bag while it was advertised to be nylon? You respect Todd Howard for banning people who accidently discovered glitches left in the game by Bethesda themselves?

I don't.

Top Bottom