• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony mobile announcements: Wild Arms, Arc The Lad, Disgaea, Square, 12+ games total

cwistofu

It's a disgrace how Sony treats the Wild Arms series. I just wanted a WA6 for PS4, not mobile crap, dammit.

Just bring back the hex battle system from WA5, keep the gacha crap out (seems unlikely with them showing the main characters from all the games so far), and keep the rockin' music and I'll pay $$$.

dracula_x

It's a disgrace how Sony treats the Wild Arms series. I just wanted a WA6 for PS4, not mobile crap, dammit.

I guess, with Wild Arms IP they will make more money on mobile than on PS4 – much cheaper to produce, broader audience (especially in Japan/Asia).

Print_Dog

Hot Shots Golf is a perfect match. I hope there is communication between the mobile and console versions.

Parappa seems to be preparing for a current gen comeback.

Turn-based JRPGs are ok on mobile for the pick up and play aspects.

I'm ok with most of this. Sony is taking note of the value of it's IPs.
At best, these mobile games bring in enough attention to garner console sequels or reboots.
At worst, these games don't do well and these IPs fade away.

Either way. I'm curious.

Arzehn

So there's a few games here that also have incoming PS4 titles, I wonder if they are preppin' Wild Arms, and Arc the Lad IP for new PS4 games. Yes, that's exactly what's happening here.

As long as they don't turn these all in to F2P gacha games, I'm totally down with this. They're pretty much all turn based RPGs so that's going to be perfect for a touch screen.

Faustek

If this is what Kaneko-san and Naruke-san have been teasing about I'm going to be really disappointed... But to be optimistic for once I'll look at this as project reinvigorate and offset risks for a big, long, full cost game on PS4 :)

So mobile will be phase one
Console phase two
My selfishness phase three
Satisfaction end phase

Amir0x

Banned
You can use controllers for mobile some with clip on and some separate if you really need
Yeah in which case there is no reason not to be on a console with a proper screen and system power. Of course assuming they even have controller support, which is a big "if."

Wild Arms, i always loved you :(

krae_man

Portable Hot Shots? Gimme!

I think it makes total sense to have Hot Shots on mobile but that does not look like the 3 click game play that I know from Hot Shots. It looks like a different game and I did not see Clap Hanz info on that trailer at all. It just looks like them using the name for recognition purposes.

We gotta take whatever they give us at this point:(

If this is what Kaneko-san and Naruke-san have been teasing about I'm going to be really disappointed... But to be optimistic for once I'll look at this as project reinvigorate and offset risks for a big, long, full cost game on PS4 :)

So mobile will be phase one
Console phase two
My selfishness phase three
Satisfaction end phase

Well they teased something for its 20th anniversary and unless something else is announced by December 31st this is it.

dracula_x

The ForwardWorks' partnership press release back in March stated the titles are aimed at Japan and Asia only. The English text in the Minna no Golf logo is probably for the wider Asian market.

It depends on what Sony's goals are with mobile, if it's to generate IP awareness and hardware sales like Nintendo, then there's even less need to release them in other markets as the PS4 is already market leader.

I suspect it's really to generate profits in regions where PS4 isn't so strong - it'd be a more effective way than doing another handheld whose success isn't even guaranteed at this point, and that'd cost a phenomenal amount compared to relatively little for these games.

Partnership? ForwardWorks is a part of SIE.

wtd2009

happy to have wildarms back even under these circumstances

edit:so long as it is actually a standard format game and not some money grabbing model

duckroll

Yes, it's a fully-owned subsidiary. If you see my other posts I make it clear that it's entirely a Sony-led initiative.

It's not just fully owned. The people who run it are the same people running SIE. They're basically SIE Mobile. Atsushi Morita is the president, Andrew House and Hiroshi Ueda are both on the board. There's no "partnership" unless you think Morita and House are partnering with... themselves?!

It's not just fully owned. The people who run it are the same people running SIE. They're basically SIE Mobile. Atsushi Morita is the president, Andrew House and Hiroshi Ueda are both on the board. There's no "partnership" unless you think Morita and House are partnering with... themselves?!

Yup. This is above even Shu Yoshida. He said WWS role in FW is consultations for some of the games but the leadership of FW is above Shu's job grade.

Thanks for the info!

Well then. Yesterday's announcements have got to have squished any remaining doubt that the Vita won't be seeing a direct followup.

StereoVsn

My Summer Vacation is the best title here. Chilling in the Japanese country side on your phone at work. How could they go wrong? (By having a shitty F2P model of course).

I imported couple of Boku no Natsuyasumi games and they are pretty awesome (PS3 and PSP). Where is the hype, GAF?

Edit: Oh and there is a new IP by Sakura Wars creator. Could be interesting. I do really hope all of these potentially interesting looking games won't be ruined by F2P models but I am ready to be disappointed.

My Summer Vacation is the best title here. Chilling in the Japanese country side on your phone at work. How could they go wrong? (By having a shitty F2P model of course).

I imported couple of Boku no Natsuyasumi games and they are pretty awesome (PS3 and PSP). Where is the hype, GAF?

Edit: Oh and there is a new IP by Sakura Wars creator. Could be interesting. I do really hope all of these potentially interesting looking games won't be ruined by F2P models but I am ready to be disappointed.

No gameplay footage = no hype

I'm still butthurt that Sony never tried to turn the Doko Demo Issho cats into international mascot characters.

They are way too awesome.

I'm still butthurt that Sony never tried to turn the Doko Demo Issho cats into international mascot characters.

They are way too awesome.

Absolutely. Toro and Kuro always deserved at least one decent shot at international success.

I've got Toro Let's Party for the PS3 and, barring the woeful English translation, it's such a charming and jolly little game, and some of the mini-games are actually quite fun. Absolute bastard of a game to platinum though.

Where is the hype, GAF?

I imported 3 and 4 and loved both. I'm a little bummed out about this one because it seemed the least 'dead' of all the IP's in this (aside from maybe Hot Shots Golf). Last game was in 2009 on PSP and it sold fairly well.

I'd be holding out for a PS4/Vita entry I could import and play.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Feels like a punch to the gut seeing 2 of my favorite classic RPG series that were dormant for years go mobile. Even worse considering that they got on board many of the original devs for both games (Masahiro Andoh doing music!)

Japanese mobile games really need to kick all the F2P, gatcha, ugly-ass "Puzzle and Dragons" style high-contrast artwork, and overbearing UI design for me to even want to take second look at them.

dracula_x

some new info about Eveybody's Golf mobile (on japanese) → https://www.jp.playstation.com/blog...ingol-2.html?tkgpscom=dc_mingol-2_fb_20170602

also, video – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayBu5vaQIG4

and new screenshots:

20170602-mingol-2-04.jpg
20170602-mingol-2-05.jpg
20170602-mingol-2-07.jpg
20170602-mingol-2-13.jpg

edit: official twitter account – https://twitter.com/mingol_app

Top Bottom