• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony need to seriously start talking about enhanced BC

KAL2006

Banned
I know they mentioned many games will automatically run better thanks to boost mode. But I want to know what games will get patched. We already know Fortnite and many other games will come to PS5 for free with all the previous DLC you bought.

But many games can get patched without even touching the game code much.

Then following games have options for resolution, framerate mode and etc.
- God of War
- Last Guardian
- inFamous Second Son and First Light
- Knack 1 and 2
- Shadow of Collosus
- Last of Us Remastered

By simply making patch that automatically puts all these games in framerate and resolution mode will automatically make most of these games 4K60. If these games are not patched and we still choose framerate and resolution mode these games would be limited for no reason as they are easily capable of doing both with the power of PS5.

Then we have games getting ported to PC
- Horizon
- Death Stranding

This may require a bit more work than a simple patch but surely Sony can have the graphical updates of PC version worked on for a PS5 version.

Then we got a ton of 3rd party games that have the same issue that make you choose between different performance modes such as Monster Hunter World. These games are still highly played to this day so surely 3rd party devs will update them.

Sony need to do a blog post of some enhanced games to give as examples. As this would make a PS5 purchase a day 1 for me. If barely any games get patched may just hold out and keep going through my backlog.

Last edited:

yurinka

I think that if the console has a boost mode (not sure if 100% oficially confirmed), games with unlocked framerate and dynamic resolution will automatically benefit from it without any required patch, in addition to maybe solve some popping related to slow streaming speed.

If they get patched, I'd ask to go beyond that and also offer improvements in lighting or textures, but I think this is going to be rare because it would require an important budget and a free patch wouldn't provide them extra revenue to make profitable anything more than maybe have a couple of programmers tweaking things during a few days or weeks.

Last edited:

KAL2006

Banned
I think that if the console has a boost mode (not sure if 100% oficially confirmed), games with unlocked framerate and dynamic resolution will automatically benefit from it without any required patch, in addition to maybe solve some popping related to slow streaming speed.

If they get patched, I'd ask to go beyond that and also offer improvements in lighting or textures, but I think this is going to be rare because it would require an important budget and a free patch wouldn't provide them extra revenue to make profitable anything more than maybe have a couple of programmers tweaking things during a few days or weeks.

That's the problem they won't be improved with just boost mode. Games that have options for performance and resolution mode limit the resolution or framerate in the game code. A patch would need to be made to make use of both performance and resolution. This simple patch would be fairly easy to do what worries me is if developers would even bother.

vkbest

That's the problem they won't be improved with just boost mode. Games that have options for performance and resolution mode limit the resolution or framerate in the game code. A patch would need to be made to make use of both performance and resolution. This simple patch would be fairly easy to do what worries me is if developers would even bother.

You have games as Sekiro running to 1800p and 40-45fps. Wouldn't be 4k, but at least this game probably will run to 1800p/60fps no patched

cormack12

Gold Member
If you're expecting a number of titles to be reworked you're going to be disappointed. If a game has been compiled for 30fps and it's chugging at 24-27 then it will probably give you a steady 30 etc

Metnut

It’s still months before the console is released and likely still 1-2 months before it’s even widely available for preorder.

While we all want more details now, there’s really no advantage to Sony to do so. They’ll very likely do a deeper dive later in the summer followed by announcing the price and letting the preorder stampede start.

Gamerguy84

I know they mentioned many games will automatically run better thanks to boost mode. But I want to know what games will get patched. We already know Fortnite and many other games will come to PS5 for free with all the previous DLC you bought.

But many games can get patched without even touching the game code much.

Then following games have options for resolution, framerate mode and etc.
- God of War
- Last Guardian
- inFamous Second Son and First Light
- Knack 1 and 2
- Shadow of Collosus
- Last of Us Remastered

By simply making patch that automatically puts all these games in framerate and resolution mode will automatically make most of these games 4K60. If these games are not patched and we still choose framerate and resolution mode these games would be limited for no reason as they are easily capable of doing both with the power of PS5.

Then we have games getting ported to PC
- Horizon
- Death Stranding

This may require a bit more work than a simple patch but surely Sony can have the graphical updates of PC version worked on for a PS5 version.

Then we got a ton of 3rd party games that have the same issue that make you choose between different performance modes such as Monster Hunter World. These games are still highly played to this day so surely 3rd party devs will update them.

Sony need to do a blog post of some enhanced games to give as examples. As this would make a PS5 purchase a day 1 for me. If barely any games get patched may just hold out and keep going through my backlog.

You should definitely hold out then. BC is likely going to be PS4. They could easily throw us an emulator for PS2 and PS1 games. They already have a working emulator on PS4, I can download PS2 games on my PS4 through PSNOW and play them.

There is an emulator called RPCS3 for PS3 but its very hit or miss. Im not sure Sony wants to deal with that situation since if they wrote one it would probably be the same.

The majority buys new systems for new games. Youre the exception and in a small percentage.

They have PSNOW for BC but its not all games. I would just pick up some cheap older systems and play them locally. I have working PS1, 2, 3, Vita, and even PSTV systems and can pretty much play anything I can get my hands on.

Gamerguy84

Sony doesn't care about BC. They're stance on it is basically Don Mattrick's "We have a console for that" argument. But the biased games media give them a pass.

I think its more of a faux outrage from from people trying to make it a bigger deal than it is. Im not denying some people truly want it. Sony just probably feels its not worth the effort.

Ive never seen demand for total BC until MS did it.

SilentUser

Well, that would be nice to know. Also would like to see some video showing how it works with some game (say, God of War) and which platforms it is going to support (they should make compatible with all previous Sony consoles).

Hopefully they will show it in august, as there was supposed to be a new event incoming.

vkbest

Tbh I only care about Bloodborne being 60fps. As long as they confirm that I will be happy.

I don't think you will see Bloodborne at 60fps on PS5. The guy who modded this had to change several things because the game was broken at 60fps. If you will play this game on PS5 at 60fps will be a remaster you buy again

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I don't think you will see Bloodborne at 60fps on PS5. The guy who modded this had to change several things because the game was broken at 60fps. If you will play this game on PS5 at 60fps will be a remaster you buy again
Your right I forgot about that. The only way would be if From releases a PS5 patch for the game which is possible but seems unlikely.

gojira96

It's expected that Sony focuses on PS5/next-gen exclusives, but I agree with you 100%.
I look forward to the PS5 and will eventually get one (covid got me unemployed lol), but I have a certain attachment to some games and tend to play them from time to time (like The Last of Us, GTA IV, Red Dead Redemption, The Order 1886, Spider-Man PS4) and I would love to play enhanced versions of some of them on the new console.

Schreier hinted (could be mere speculation from his part) that Spider-Man: Miles Morales could be bundled with an enhanced version of Spider-Man PS4.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
If you're expecting a number of titles to be reworked you're going to be disappointed. If a game has been compiled for 30fps and it's chugging at 24-27 then it will probably give you a steady 30 etc

One X can run previous 30 fps games in 60 fps, so it's only logical that people expect the same here.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony's strategy is obviously to sell the PS5 based on PS5 games, not PS4 games. It's not the same strategy as MS, and I get why someone who is interested in these things would want Sony to talk about it, but it's clearly not their focus. I don't think they need to be talking about this sort of thing because of that.

One X can run previous 30 fps games in 60 fps, so it's only logical that people expect the same here.

Eh, game by game basis, as they have said.

wipeout364

I would expect BC will look like Xbox one BC this gen, very spotty, but I would expect Sony to put even a more lackluster effort in given how terrible their PS2 BC was this gen. They used to be the ones banging the drum about BC now they just want to ignore it, I would expect nothing and then be pleasantly surprised with whatever scraps Sony throws you. Their silence about it really says everything to me.

cormack12

Gold Member

Don't MS have some sort of specific native upscaler though? Thats why RDR upscales 1080 to 2160. Whereas the Playstation would pretty much rely on the TV upscaling the rendered 1080p? To be honest, I think the boost mode has been pretty poor overall on the Pro, given the power difference. It hasn't really made me think 'wow, boost really makes this game much better'. But then I tend to not play older games so.....might be a bias.

I think BC and upscaling has been part of the MS strategy which is why they have a more unified solution for it. I think PS4 games running on PS5 is more of a bonus as the architecture is so similar, but it looks because they've chosen this new appraoch with clockspeed it might create some compatibility issues with some games, whereas MS can pretty comfortably say 'tried and tested'.

Arkam

Gonna guess we get the details on BC when we see OS and its features. So I am gonna bet August we will get a next dump of PS5 info.

T-Cake

The 360 games run in an virtual machine/emulator which allows for them to get all sorts of technical improvements. Not sure how it will work for Xbox One games unless they are virtualizing the Xbox One hardware as well.

But Sony doesn't use this solution, it's pure hardware based which is why games with fixed framerates/resolutions won't see much improvement. I'd love to be wrong!

Neo_game

They said most games will work. But I am not sure about enhancement. Probably needs some patch. I think there will be some remasters though.

TheContact

I'd love to be able to pop in some of my ps1 and ps2 discs into the PS5. I know it can be done which is why I want it so badly, but I wouldn't be super disappointed, only a little, if they went back only as far as PS4.

The only reason I would have bought a PS5 at launch would have been if it had PS3-PS4 BC. Since they haven't been trumpeting that from the rooftops yet it tells me that they're just now adding BC and are only focusing on PS4. Therefore, since the PS5 looks to have a pretty bad launch lineup, there's no reason for me to buy it. I mean, I would have even bought it if they could have allowed me to buy PS1-3, PSP, and Vita games digitally and play them on the PS5. There are lots of good games that would have bolstered the launch catalog and encouraged people to stay in the ecosystem versus jumping ship to Xbox.

As things stand this generation looks like it's going to be worse than the last one.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
BC is
By simply making patch that automatically puts all these games in framerate and resolution mode will automatically make most of these games 4K60.

"Simply"

You have no idea how much work this represents... /facepalm

diffusionx

Gold Member
The 360 games run in an virtual machine/emulator which allows for them to get all sorts of technical improvements. Not sure how it will work for Xbox One games unless they are virtualizing the Xbox One hardware as well.

But Sony doesn't use this solution, it's pure hardware based which is why games with fixed framerates/resolutions won't see much improvement. I'd love to be wrong!

A lot of games use dynamic resolution, and that will be helped by better hardware. This is true of both hardwares, and the point behind boost mode. You will see a lot of games run at their native max frame rate whereas they fluctuate on current hardware. Likewise, there are plenty of games with shitty "performance modes" that don't maintain 60fps. They should on the better consoles.

ZywyPL

Banned
I cannot fight the feeling that PS5 BC will be based on just downclocking the components to the PS4/Pro frequencies, and run the games at the same resolution and framerate. Think of it like Pro before the boost mode update, where games dropped the framerate or resolution the exact same way they did on the base PS4, despite actually running on much more powerful hardware. Maybe the games patched for Pro with dynamic 4K will be able to actually maintain native 4K, but that's all I can think of. I will be genuinely surprised if Sony will offer anything above that. Which is a shame, because with the same number of cores and CUs but at twice the frequencies, it just asks for either 60FPS or 4K mode for old games.

PaintTinJr

"enhanced" BC - is that really BC? For me, enhance cross-play is not BC and I know it is probably a minority view, but I would really prefer a situation where BC was reserved for hardware BC - the sort where you could be on an island in the north sea, or a divot of turf in a Loch with a petrol generator and no internet, and use the media from previous generations. (ie not a service) to run a game on the new console.

IMHO, if the platform holder can remove the feature with a firmware update (remembers OtherOS well) or withdraw the service, then that isn't BC, it is a Trojan horse to paying to relive the past, which as a business option is the platform holder's choice, but is it really BC if the old discs don't just work without a download or internet connection?

For me BC is a word that shows respect to those customers - that still have media from the past - you've retained, that helped you be the platform success you are today and that you fully respect (looks as ISS Pro Evo 2 on shelf and wonders why it won't play on PS4 :) )

In many games settings like shadow resolution, draw distance, af level, texture resolution, etc. Is in a confirmation file, changing them and checking that the performance is still good, maybe cap the fps at 60 instead of 30 while you are at it.

Should not be too much of a project.

Dory16

Banned
I know i might might be in minority here but i would rather developers focus on the future.
Would be good if they could do a bit of both. In any case I would hate to see a full price remaster come out for TLOU2 or GOT. Hopefully what we've paid for the PS4 version entitles us to the PS5 version, regardless of what the upgrade is.

zeorhymer

What is there to talk about? PS5 will play PS4 games as if it was a PS4 Pro. If they want to, they can sell a PS4 game native to PS5 and call it a day.

Skifi28

I really want to see how some variable framerate games are going to run on PS5, especially looking forward to Iceborne, Dark souls 3 and Fallen Order.

ZywyPL

Banned
I know i might might be in minority here but i would rather developers focus on the future.

You're not. And that's one of the points, no developer will go back to 3, 5, 7, 9yo titles to work on them just so they can benefit from a new hardware, knowing well it won't bring them a single additional copy sold. And that's why it should all be done on the system level, by default, without any action needed from the devs.

KAL2006

Banned
BC is

"Simply"

You have no idea how much work this represents... /facepalm

The games I have listed gave performance mode and resolution mode. These games are coded to run in higher framerate or higher resolution depending on what option to choose. A simple patch that allows you to choose both modes shouldn't be a problem for PS5 to run. The problem with these modes for these games depending on what mode you choose the games cap the resolution or framerate.

I'll give you a example.
God of War
Performance Mode - Uncapped framerate, resolution is capped.
Resolution Mode - Uncapped variable resolution, framerate capped.

Now with that power all they need to do us let you run the game in both modes. God of War has variable framerate and resolution depending on the mode. But if a patch removes the choice and lets you have both by default the game should run at full framerate and full resolution.

I'm not using a example of a game that is designed around running on 30fps. God of War already has a performance mode.

So a patch for these types of games should be straight forward. The list I made in the OP all these games have performance and graphics modes. A patch to have game running in both modes should be less work.

GrayFoxPL

46xwzv.jpg

Umbral

All games will work on PS5 in either PS4 or PS4 Pro Legacy mode.

Any games that can utilize boost mode are being tested.

Any games that want to fully use the PS5 will need to be updated by the devs.

I have a feeling the reason they’re keeping quiet right now is partly because it’s gonna be a bomb when they tell you that you can play all PlayStation games back to PS1 on it.

Dolomite

They should at the very least offer this for all first party titles. I understand how different the Cell was from the PS4 is, but the PS4 is so much closer in architecture to the PS5, SSD and RDNA2 not withstanding

Trogdor1123

All games will work on PS5 in either PS4 or PS4 Pro Legacy mode.

Any games that can utilize boost mode are being tested.

Any games that want to fully use the PS5 will need to be updated by the devs.

I have a feeling the reason they’re keeping quiet right now is partly because it’s gonna be a bomb when they tell you that you can play all PlayStation games back to PS1 on it.
This seems like wishful thinking...

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They're better off waiting until after GoT releases.

I'm sure we're going to see enhanced versions TLOU 2, GoT, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn and more running at 4K 60fps in August.

Top Bottom