• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony need to seriously start talking about enhanced BC

Jacknapes

It'll be a nice feature to have available, there will be a few PS4 games i'll still have to play around the PS5 launch.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Not completely true. First it may bring some sales from people picking up older titles, some people may get to play it from their backlog directly on PS5 as you are working or announcing your sequel for example. Giving people a good impression is a powerful marketing tool too. Especially if you can get nice results with very little developer involvement.
I don't disagree - which is why I made the distinction of "Enhanced BC". If un-enhanced BC is present, a developers can still profit from their older title. Enhanced BC doesn't inherently provide additional sales passed the additional sales that un-enhanced BC provides? However, enhanced BC is a wonderful tool for a platform holder to say "play ALL your favourites - that ALL look, sound, and play better!". With regards to developer involvement, which publisher is going to fund a developer to add enhanced BC for a title that's already passed its most profitable window if the platform holder has already ensured its compatible? Contrast this to Microsoft's approach, where the developers aren't involved and yet still reap any hypothetical enhanced BC benefits, and I believe it's clearly more beneficial to the platform holder than a developer. For example, I think Sony's first party heavy hitters - God of War, Last of Us 2, etc. - will all receive enhanced bc patches, but that's because Sony is the platform holder, and can use it for marketing purposes. "Play The Last of Us 2 in 4k60 - only on PS5!" is a hell of a deal for a lot of people.

No one even cars about BC.
Even on Xbox no one even uses it, some thing like 1% of users or some thing. No one will use the BC feature.
This couldn't actually be more incorrect if you tried.

According to Phil Spencer, 50% of Xbox One users use backwards compatibility. The article also highlights that Red Dead Redemption's backwards compatibility causes that game's sales to increase by over - literally - 1000%. Skate 3 for the Xbox360 was also famously reprinted after the Xbox One began its backwards compatibility program. Backwards compatibility is not only used, it's literally a core use of the console. This notion that no one uses backwards compatibility falls into the same category as "rumble is a last gen feature". It's not only not true, it's self evidently false and incorrect.

Last edited:
They should at the very least offer this for all first party titles. I understand how different the Cell was from the PS4 is, but the PS4 is so much closer in architecture to the PS5, SSD and RDNA2 not withstanding

They will patch all of the major first party games and I expect many other major PS4 titles (Witcher 3, Red Dead 2, etc). Enhanced BC for PS4 games will be a major selling point for the first adopters, as there won't be that many impressive new titles at launch. This is infinitely more important than supporting old PS1, 2 and 3 games, which I could give 2 shits about frankly.

ManaByte

KAL2006

Banned
I don't disagree - which is why I made the distinction of "Enhanced BC". If un-enhanced BC is present, a developers can still profit from their older title. Enhanced BC doesn't inherently provide additional sales passed the additional sales that un-enhanced BC provides? However, enhanced BC is a wonderful tool for a platform holder to say "play ALL your favourites - that ALL look, sound, and play better!". With regards to developer involvement, which publisher is going to fund a developer to add enhanced BC for a title that's already passed its most profitable window if the platform holder has already ensured its compatible? Contrast this to Microsoft's approach, where the developers aren't involved and yet still reap any hypothetical enhanced BC benefits, and I believe it's clearly more beneficial to the platform holder than a developer. For example, I think Sony's first party heavy hitters - God of War, Last of Us 2, etc. - will all receive enhanced bc patches, but that's because Sony is the platform holder, and can use it for marketing purposes. "Play The Last of Us 2 in 4k60 - only on PS5!" is a hell of a deal for a lot of people.

According to Phil Spencer, 50% of Xbox One users use backwards compatibility. The article also highlights that Red Dead Redemption's backwards compatibility causes that game's sales to increase by over - literally - 1000%. Skate 3 for the Xbox360 was also famously reprinted after the Xbox One began its backwards compatibility program. Backwards compatibility is not only used, it's literally a core use of the console. This notion that no one uses backwards compatibility falls into the same category as "rumble is a last gen feature". It's not only not true, it's self evidently false and incorrect.

It's a game by game thing. 3rd party didn't benefit from patching old games to work better on PS4 Pro. Yet we got games like Witcher 3 patched.

Due to GaaS it with games being updated regardless, I don't see why a 3rd party like Capcom couldn't just release a patch for Monster Hunter World for PS5, especially if it's simple patch that lets the game be played at all 3 modes combined (resolution, graphics, framerate). Would be silly to boot up Monster Hunter on PS5 and choose between resolution and framerate when Monster Hunter World support is on going and a simple patch would give the game the boost it needs. I'm not asking to add ray tracing etc.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

One could say that video and Netflix should be the defining factors for Xbox One given the Xbox 360 usage stats... but still I agree, BC is very important for me.

What are you talking about?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Series_X#Backward_compatibility

"Microsoft has stated that the Xbox Series X will support all games playable on the Xbox One, including those Xbox 360 and original Xbox console titles currently supported through backward compatibility on the Xbox One, thus allowing the console to support four generations of games."

So, it's all the Xbox One games, plus the Xbox 360 and original Xbox games that are supported by the Xbox One.

"To achieve this, Microsoft announced they would no longer be bringing any additional Xbox 360 or original Xbox games into the Xbox One backward compatibility program in June 2019, and instead using their manpower to make sure these older titles were playable on the Xbox Series X."

Again, it's only the ones supported by the Xbox One and they've stopped adding to that list as of June 2019. Will there be more? It's unlikely.

Here's the full list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One

It's 557 of the 2085 Xbox 360 games (26%) and 41 of the original Xbox games (4%).

Eurogamer also reports the same:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-backwards-compatibility-list-xbox-360-games-series-x-6400

Sorry, I'm not trying to piss on your fire, I'm just stating a fact: the Xbox Series X is not 100% BC with every 360 game and every original Xbox game. You, like quite a lot of others (including myself), have been taken in by the statement that XSX will play games from 4 generations of Xbox (which is true) and thousands of titles (which is also true).

But again, it is NOT every single Xbox game ever made. It's only the ones in the list above.

Seriously, go and read it all again, very carefully.

T-Cake

they've stopped adding to that list as of June 2019. Will there be more? It's unlikely.

They recently said they are open to people's suggestions as to what else they want to see so the programme is not finished yet.

The team also continues to listen to feedback from the community on additional titles you would like to see added to the compatibility program. Resurrecting titles from history often presents a complex mix of technical and licensing challenges, but the team is committed to doing everything we can to continue to preserve our collective gaming legacy.

Last edited:
No one even cars about BC.
Even on Xbox no one even uses it, some thing like 1% of users or some thing. No one will use the BC feature.

🤦🏻‍♂️😅

Joke post?

We have stats which prove this ignorance wrong.

BC on Xbone is a generation defining feature for me personally. My household started out this gen flipping from primarily 360 to primarily PS4 users, but this has gradually reverted due primarily to BC. BC has been far and away the best feature on either console for us.

Sony’s lack of effort in this area really hurt our buy-in to their digital ecosystem. Instead we shifted back to Xbox in a big way (especially after the release of X1X) over the past 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Series_X#Backward_compatibility

"Microsoft has stated that the Xbox Series X will support all games playable on the Xbox One, including those Xbox 360 and original Xbox console titles currently supported through backward compatibility on the Xbox One, thus allowing the console to support four generations of games."

So, it's all the Xbox One games, plus the Xbox 360 and original Xbox games that are supported by the Xbox One.

"To achieve this, Microsoft announced they would no longer be bringing any additional Xbox 360 or original Xbox games into the Xbox One backward compatibility program in June 2019, and instead using their manpower to make sure these older titles were playable on the Xbox Series X."

Again, it's only the ones supported by the Xbox One and they've stopped adding to that list as of June 2019. Will there be more? It's unlikely.

Here's the full list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_backward-compatible_games_for_Xbox_One

It's 557 of the 2085 Xbox 360 games (26%) and 41 of the original Xbox games (4%).

Eurogamer also reports the same:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-backwards-compatibility-list-xbox-360-games-series-x-6400

Sorry, I'm not trying to piss on your fire, I'm just stating a fact: the Xbox Series X is not 100% BC with every 360 game and every original Xbox game. You, like quite a lot of others (including myself), have been taken in by the statement that XSX will play games from 4 generations of Xbox (which is true) and thousands of titles (which is also true).

But again, it is NOT every single Xbox game ever made. It's only the ones in the list above.

Seriously, go and read it all again, very carefully.

What you quoted is known by me, that wasn't the reason I said 'What are you talking about'. The reason I said that was because of the sentence you used rubbed me in the wrong way; 'it's clear that, while MS has done a good job with the BC (better than Sony), it's not exactly a major priority for them, either. ' Understating the fact that Xbox has done a good job (better than Sony) I would say much much better but ala. And stating 'It's not a priority for them either' Sorry but that's just BS!

BC is a core aspect of Xbox going forward and since they announced BC on the One, how can you deny that after all the news came out about how all BC games will be improved on XSX in the near future?

Once the XSX releases and the BC team is done with all the Xbox One games they have said that they will listen to the Xbox community about suggestions for whatever is next they're going to do. Which to me sounds that they're all but done with the 360 and OG games. I have a handfull of games left from the 360 that aren't BC yet. The overwhelming majority of my 360 library is BC. I'm interested to know which titles you are missing as most of the big titles are BC except for the license heavy games which is understandable I reckon.

kiphalfton

I think its more of a faux outrage from from people trying to make it a bigger deal than it is. Im not denying some people truly want it. Sony just probably feels its not worth the effort.

Ive never seen demand for total BC until MS did it.

I'm sick and tired of half-assed remasters, and BC would hopefully help put an end to those. Besides, what is wrong with having more features (even if you personally won't use it) than not have it at all. The rationale I see is "I don't want it, so the console doesn't need it. If you want to play those games just set up that console". Yes, those people could argue the same about having it... but when the PS2, first run PS3's, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, etc. and then all of a sudden BC got dropped it's like "what gives". But then people act like it's okay not having it, when it didn't really contribute to any sizeable price premium, it's just stupid because then it shows these console manufacturers it's okay to get by with less features.

Gamerguy84

I'm sick and tired of half-assed remasters, and BC would hopefully help put an end to those. Besides, what is wrong with having more features (even if you personally won't use it) than not have it at all. The rationale I see is "I don't want it, so the console doesn't need it. If you want to play those games just set up that console". Yes, those people could argue the same about having it... but when the PS2, first run PS3's, Wii, Wii U, DS, 3DS, etc. and then all of a sudden BC got dropped it's like "what gives". But then people act like it's okay not having it, when it didn't really contribute to any sizeable price premium, it's just stupid because then it shows these console manufacturers it's okay to get by with less features.

I never said I was against it. Just that the outrage began when MS put it in their console. Sony couldnt really do PS3 back compat because jaguar couldnt run an emulator most likely. It also would have been hit or miss.

Now they easily could have given us PS2/1 back compatibility. They had an emulator built right in. I know because yiu can download and run PS2 games.

As for half ass remakes. See thats what I prefer because they look great. They still have the same gameplay and physics.

To me MS effort is added fps in some, upgraded textures in some, its not the exact same with every game. Red dead still looked like Red dead just at 4k, which added really nothing. It was just an upscale job. Ive seen it and played some. Now its all free so whatever you gain is a bonus, free.

Ill pay for more work to be put into a game and for it to look like a PS4 game. And honestly thats just preference. We all have them.

As for PS4 compat with PS5 even I would be pissed off if they didnt do that because well, no excuse. PS4 wasnt an exotic architecture. Since they are both X86 it should be there and is.

Talk about Boost mode? Why? Cause the competition has been advertising it and thinks it has a marginal advantage in #'s to market - and thus naturally wants the conversation to revolve around that instead of current exclusive games, and new exclusive games? We were already told that the top 100 PS4 games will come out the gate with some sort of enhancement (boost mode). We also know that list is bound to be expanded as the PS5 matures. Everything else not boosted will work in legacy BC - and that's 4000 or so titles. Sony ain't going to make sure boost and enhancements work on 4000 titles - specially ones no one ever intends to replay on PS5. But but... what about the few that do? legacy BC will do just fine for you.

Last edited:

Esppiral

The thing that worries me the most is that it seems that Ps4 games will run in legacy modes instead of using the full capabilities of the Ps5.

ManaByte

In June of 2019 they announced they stopped adding new games (ending with the entire Splinter Cell series) as the BC team was switching to ensure 100% of the Xbox One games will run on the Series X. They said after the Series X launches they'll go back to adding new games.

I'm interested to know which titles you are missing as most of the big titles are BC except for the license heavy games which is understandable I reckon.

I'm not missing any, as I'm not an Xbox gamer.

What I was just trying to clarify was that one cannot expect to insert literally any Xbox or Xbox 360 game into the XSX and expect it to play.

There are actually plenty of people out there who think this is the case. One of the staff in a games store mentioned it to me just this week, citing it as the reason he wants to buy a Series X.

They’ve already said the majority if not all PS4 games will work on ps5. And they’re working on bringing many old those titles with enhanced features.

Top Bottom