• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: No Man’s Sky “treated like a first-party release”

Why are people gung-ho about Sony buying this 10 person studio? Let these guys do things their way and find success across all platforms. Locking away their ability to reach more gamers would be bad for them.

Besides, I'm curious about what thousands of PC gamers can mod in to such a vast tapestry of possibilities.

I don't think it makes sense for Sony to buy them, the working relationship they have now seems like its beneficial for both parties so why not keep it that way?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Confirmed, E3 will be barebones for them this year.

8pTSVjV.gif

Wow, why does this happen in NMS threads? It just blows my mind. I dont want the thread to be locked though :(

On a positive note about it, here's a bit from the New Yorker thread that people may have missed

Q: Is there any combat in the game and if so what does it play like? A shooter? A first person brawler? Thanks !

A: Yes, there is combat in the game, and I was able to watch some of it. While I was in the studio, there was a great moment that i did not have space for in my story. I was hunkered down at a table opposite Sean, and suddenly David Ream who is focussing on gameplay jumped out of his seat and said something like "this is a game!" That morning he was working on laser cannons for a ship, and he was also working on ship handling. As a test, he shot at a freighter, and then descended to a planet. A few minutes later, police ships began firing at him on the planet's surface. At first he thought it was a glitch, but then realized that the police had tracked him down because he had fired at the freighters in orbit while testing the lasers. It was one of those moments where you could feel the many various aspects of the game coming together, and his excitement was really genuine. So yes, combat, yes!

Nzyme32

1-3 month window you think? I'm thinking/hoping it will be a simultaneous PS4 and PC release.

Nah, it's first on PS4, probably advertised with all the "exclusive" paraphernalia for a while, and then it will get to PC afterwards. There is no date or timeline for it though, so it's a matter of what Sony's terms are

MilesTeg

Banned
The guy said that this is not a self published title. Meaning Sony is most likely publishing. Has that always been the case? Also, I do wonder if Sony is giving dev support to ensure a 2015 release.

Will this really be going to other platforms if published by Sony?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Thanks for the clarifications on PS4 release first. My guess now would be 1-6 month PS4 exclusivity, then PC release. They best show new gameplay at E3 though.

Nah, it's first on PS4, probably advertised with all the "exclusive" paraphernalia for a while, and then it will get to PC afterwards. There is no date or timeline for it though, so it's a matter of what Sony's terms are

Yeah, NMS was touted as 'first on PS4' as opposed to 'console exclusive debut.'

kiguel182

I would totally welcome a physical release of this with great art and a really premium look to it.

I would also welcome a release date, can't wait for this.

Aces&Eights

If that is true they should fund Morpheus support, it could be big.

I think that is exactly what they are doing. NMS being a Morpheus launch title would be a big deal. I'm encouraged to hear Sony backing it. That means more time and resources into the game. I'd love to put on a VR headset for the first time and have it be NMS that my eyes see.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
On a positive note about it, here's a bit from the New Yorker thread that people may have missed

So the developer is not fully aware of how the AI works in his own game? I hope that's just a bad article writing, because surely it doesn't sound too good.

I can see why they would do this, I know people who still talk about this game because of the part where you fly from the planet into space, it's got a lot of hype around it.

It seems that teaming up with Sony has been pretty good to Hello Games. If it gets real marketing dollars and a physical release it could be pretty huge. I wonder if they'll charge $40 or something atypical for an 'indie' game.

legacyzero

Banned
If it made a developer jump up at this point, thinking "this is a game!" then it sounds more like a one-off and kinda worrying.
Hello have been very clear in how theyre developing the game. Theyve been very clear that they are making a palette for the game to paint its own picture on.

Im not sure at this point why doubters for this game are the way they are....

Either they are uninformed about the game, or just plain trolling.

Or, its that they are just that cynical.

tensuke

So that means it'll get delayed? lol

Naw but really, still extremely hyped for this. Hope it doesn't burn out quickly like Starbound, I really want a good endless space exploration game.

GeoramA

Nice to see the no game idiots get weeded out.

Whatever else Sony announces for this fall, NMS and Battlefront will still be the ones that sell PS4s. BF for obvious reasons, NMS for that super-hyped new IP and experience, like Destiny was.

If it made a developer jump up at this point, thinking "this is a game!" then it sounds more like a one-off and kinda worrying.

As a person who's closely following the game and is confident that it will be good, I found that passage incredibly weird too.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Which makes total sense, if you've been following the development of the game at all. They aren't "programming an AI", per se.

Then there is no AI in this game, per se! Is that what you are saying? Or you just think the procedural generation covers everything?

So the developer is not fully aware of how the AI works in his own game? I hope that's just a bad article writing, because surely it doesn't sound too good.

That's from a Reddit AMA that the writer of the New Yorker article did. What he said isn't all the dissimilar to a lot of comments you hear from open world developers where they describe unexpected things happening. Plus the guy was just initially caught off guard by it and then figured out that it was simply what the AI was programmed to do. In the actual New Yorker piece Sean does mention that drones on planets will come after you for hunting animals or illegally mining on them.

dEvAnGeL

seems sony has been smart when it comes what games to get behind this generation, it payed off with far cry 4 and destiny, this game seems like another winner for them

RiverKwai

I'm pretty sure they are programming AI for the game... what did you read to suggest otherwise?
Then there is no AI in this game, per se! Is that what you are saying? Or you just think the procedural generation covers everything?

As far as I can tell, they are programming "AI" in a loose sense, but they are not scripting what specific behaviors any individual NPC, animal, or group behavior is going to exhibit. They are programming rules and interactions and the procedural algorithm spits out what it thinks is appropriate, just like everything else in the game. If they change the terrain, for example, the animals behave differently all on their own, they don't need to be "reprogrammed". They have talked about that kind of thing before. They've been surprised by one seemingly inconsequential or small environmental change affecting NPC/Animal behaviors in unexpected ways before.

Amir0x

Banned
Man some posters really don't want to give up the bullshit "no games" rhetoric. It's hilarious. We get a zillion amazing indie games - which are just games like any other, sorry folks - and we just got the GOTY Bloodborne. And the system gets every third party game usually in the best form.

Ya'll don't have the same taste as everyone else, get used to it. Accept it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As far as I can tell, they are programming "AI" in a loose sense, but they are not scripting what specific behaviors any individual NPC, animal, or group behavior is going to exhibit. They are programming rules and interactions and the procedural algorithm spits out what it thinks is appropriate, just like everything else in the game. If they change the terrain, for example, the animals behave differently all on their own, they don't need to be "reprogrammed". They have talked about that kind of thing before. They've been surprised by one seemingly inconsequential or small environmental change affecting NPC/Animal behaviors in unexpected ways before.

I understand that, but police ships following the ships that break the law (whatever the law is) must be a programmed rule, not some random thing. It's surprising to see the developers surprised by the existence of a rule that was programmed by them. And the reaction to that is still weird: "this is a game!". That's why I still think it must be wrongly reported. That sounds like a reaction of someone who sees the game for the first time.

RiverKwai

Not sure if this is new news or not:

Because of its algorithmic structure, nearly everything in it is interconnected: changes to the handling of a ship can affect the way insects fly. The universe must be developed holistically; sometimes it must be deconstructed entirely, then reassembled. Before I arrived, Murray warned me, “The game is on the operating table, so you will see it in parts. Other games will have the benefit of having a level that plays really well, while the studio works on other levels. We don’t have that.” The previous “builds” of No Man’s Sky that he had publicly shown—the ones that had generated so much excitement—contained choreographed elements. Features that might have been light-years apart were pressed closer together; animals were invisibly corralled so that they could be reliably encountered. Shifts in the weather that would normally follow the rhythm of atmospheric change were cued to insure that they happened during a demo. Imagine trying to convey life on Earth in minutes: shortcuts would have to be taken.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/18/world-without-end-raffi-khatchadourian

Pretty interesting article anyways.

Top Bottom