• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: No Man’s Sky “treated like a first-party release”

RiverKwai

I understand that, but police ships following the ships that break the law (whatever the law is) must be a programmed rule, not some random thing. It's surprising to see the developers surprised by the existence of a rule that was programmed by them.

It's likely a combination of a few different "rules" put together that he'd never seen before. They've mentioned that everything is layers on layers of different interactions. Chasing you is one thing. Chasing you from space into atmosphere and hunting you down on the surface might not be something they'd seen before. It's possible that most NPC ships don't chase you that far. I dunno. I'm just trying to explain why he'd be surprised.

As far as I can tell, they are programming "AI" in a loose sense, but they are not scripting what specific behaviors any individual NPC, animal, or group behavior is going to exhibit. They are programming rules and interactions and the procedural algorithm spits out what it thinks is appropriate, just like everything else in the game. If they change the terrain, for example, the animals behave differently all on their own, they don't need to be "reprogrammed". They have talked about that kind of thing before. They've been surprised by one seemingly inconsequential or small environmental change affecting NPC/Animal behaviors in unexpected ways before.

That is AI though, no need to put quotes around it. They are programming those behaviors and rules themselves, there isn't a procedural algorithm creating them. The game decides what actions these entities do based on certain criteria, but that's not really any different from other non-scripted AI. Animals might make unexpected moves but they are still following one of the many rules set for it.

RiverKwai

That is AI though, no need to put quotes around it. They are programming those behaviors and rules themselves, there isn't a procedural algorithm creating them. The game decides what actions these entities do based on certain criteria, but that's not really any different from other non-scripted AI. Animals might make unexpected moves but they are still following one of the many rules set for it.

This is all in context of why a developer would be surprised an NPC did something they DIDN'T specifically program them to do. It's a grab bag of rules and the algorithm combines them in ways the developers often cannot foresee. Is it an AI? Sure, but the developers can't necessarily predict what of the various "rules" anything is going to follow. It's different than what most games are trying to accomplish by programming AI behaviors. Normally, you are trying to make things predictable. NMS isn't necessarily doing that.

ICPEE

Gud damn. Thread is becoming a graveyard lol. Bans everywhere.

On topic: can't wait to see more of this game. I sincerely hope Sony shows off some gameplay footage and some combat too. If there is one game I would buy a PS4 for, it is this one. E3 really can't come soon enough.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is all in context of why a developer would be surprised an NPC did something they DIDN'T specifically program them to do. It's a grab bag of rules and the algorithm combines them in ways the developers often cannot foresee. Is it an AI? Sure, but the developers can't necessarily predict what of the various "rules" anything is going to follow. It's different than what most games are trying to accomplish by programming AI behaviors. Normally, you are trying to make things predictable. NMS isn't necessarily doing that.

What you describe is not AI. There is no loose AI. But that's semantics.

Now, going back to the reaction, there might be unexpected effects of combining more rules and behaviors, but what is described there is not something so unexpected. Police ships start shooting at each other would be unexpected, but police cars following you after shooting another ships sounds like a basic rule. Even following you in the atmosphere shouldn't be surprising as long as they are allowed to fly in the atmosphere. Let's say that for a moment you don't know why are they following and shooting at you. It can be an "aha!" moment, but "this is a game!"? A bit of a show. Unless it happens first time you put all the things together. From my point of view the reactions doesn't fit the story. The reaction if it would be from a NPC in a game would be an example of unexpected AI behavior.

RiverKwai

What you describe is not AI. .

Ok then, it's not AI. Problem solved. The NPC characters don't have fixed scripted behavior, so are unpredictable. Maybe every other time he's shot at an NPC they either ignore him or only chase him for a short distance before going back to their ship. Now you understand how he could be surprised and get excited that one is doing something cool that maybe he hadn't seen.

Ape

Banned
The marketing budget most likely has a lot to do with the console exclusivity. Sony is spending money to advertise the game to keep it off the Xbone, at least for a little while. It makes sense if you look at it from that perspective.

Tigress

Gud damn. Thread is becoming a graveyard lol. Bans everywhere.

On topic: can't wait to see more of this game. I sincerely hope Sony shows off some gameplay footage and some combat too. If there is one game I would buy a PS4 for, it is this one. E3 really can't come soon enough.

I don't even care about that. I just want a release date (sometime this year preferably).

Booki

Can anyone tell me if the animal life is procedurally generated or are they developer creations? To me it looks like the actions of the animal life is completely random but bound by the rules applied to the game. I'd be a bit disappointed running into the same animal on different worlds.

GnawtyDog

Banned
When will people learn?

Dude is just capitalizing on Gaf mood. Mods saw through it - like they should. Funny the first page replies...biting at the bits...
---------------------
When you get that type of exclusivity deal, you don't have to say it - that's the intent first and foremost.

autoduelist

Your definition of game AI seems pretty off? Predictability really has nothing to do with it. You can code 1 or 100 different potential actions for a given scenario - that is, completely predictable vs. nearly unpredictable - and it would still qualify as AI.

I certainly don't agree most games are trying to make the AI 'predictable'. If anything, predictability is easier to code and most devs try to 'hide' predictability by creating limited option sets (run, hide, shoot, call for backup, whatever).

Stampy

Can anyone tell me if the animal life is procedurally generated or are they developer creations? To me it looks like the actions of the animal life is completely random but bound by the rules applied to the game. I'd be a bit disappointed running into the same animal on different worlds.

You will probably be running to lots of similar animals (same shape, but different colours and/or features).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Ok then, it's not AI. Problem solved. The NPC characters don't have fixed scripted behavior, so are unpredictable. Maybe every other time he's shot at an NPC they either ignore him or only chase him for a short distance before going back to their ship. Now you understand how he could be surprised and get excited that one is doing something cool that maybe he hadn't seen.

So, you're saying that the police ships will do their job randomly? Because there are still rules behind procedural generation. Of course that there can be still some unpredictability in the reaction, but that's also based on the rules. Even the fact that they might not follow you sometime is a rule, or a limited random. But my point is that the fact the police did followed them shouldn't be such a surprise for the people that wrote the police rules.

And do you think that the fact that the police chases you in GTA or Need for Speed is scripted?

RiverKwai

Your definition of game AI seems pretty off? Predictability really has nothing to do with it.

You misunderstand, I'm not defining AI. Predictability has to do with why the developer was surprised.

So, you're saying that the police ships will do their job randomly? Because there are still rules behind procedural generation. Of course that there can be still some unpredictability in the reaction, but that's also based on the rules. Even the fact that they might not follow you sometime is a rule, or a limited random. But my point is that the fact the police did followed them shouldn't be such a surprise for the people that wrote the police rules.

And do you think that the fact that the police chases you in GTA or Need for Speed is scripted?

Nothing in NMS procedural generation is random, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily predictable either. The way they wrote the software seems to prevent them from knowing exactly how things will always behave in the larger scheme of things and any changes they make might have a "butterfly effect" like result on other, seemingly unrelated things. Pretty much every time Sean Murray tries to explain their procedural algorithm, he gives an anecdote about this. Now since they wrote the algorithm, they can guess what it'll probably do - but its such a complex system that they don't always guess right, apparently.

Also, it's quite possible the developer in question had nothing to do with writing the police ship chase rules. It says in the quoted paragraph he was working on lasers and flight.

RiverKwai

I dunno, it's hard for Sean Murray to explain in laymans terms exactly what's going on with the back end of the game, and he wrote the damn thing. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to, based on all the confusing shit HE's said. lol

This game is going to be amazing from everything shown so far so I can see why Sony is saying that. As for people talking shit...let's see after E3 if Sony has anything else.

EGM1966

This thread right now:

Very appropriate. There's something about No Man's Sky that just draws them in. Really seems to rub some people up the wrong way. Very odd considering it's a title anyone who likes games should enjoy even existing (small team, bold ideas, trying something innovative) even if the game appeals or not.

interesting... they talk as if they have the next minecraft in their hands.
While i dont think it will ever be as big as Minecraft, just for the simple fact that you have infinite possibilities with building in Minecraft where as No Mans Sky is more infinite possibilities for finding unique planets and wildlife, i do think its quite possible that this game could be a really big hit.

To have a game that looks as gorgeous as NMS does, with the soundtrack it seems to have judging from the trailers and just the option to go exploring anywhere to find whatever you can with the fact that what you find most likely wont have been seen by anyone else could make this really popular. A constant amount of new experiences to share with friends and others will be pretty damn cool.

NMS is probably the game i am most looking forward to at the moment, especially with the thought that this will hopefully support Morpheus as that will make it a true game changer for many im sure.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
seems like a more colourful/fun version of Elite Dangerous. oh and you will actually be able to explore the planets you travel to.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anyone have any ideas about what happens when you reach the centre of the galaxy in NMS?

Not even the developers can predict that, there is nothing scripted or even following rules in this game, as I learned in this thread, it will be a surprise for everybody.
you unlock Mario Galaxy

iNvid02

Boyes: "we have nothing, FUCKING NOTHING. there are literally no games coming out for PS4."

shu: "stop it adam you're making me nervous. oh god. what about no mans?"

boyes: "but it's not first party shu, Murray and his gang recoiled at our advances. Jesus wtf are we gonna do"

House: "we make it so they can't refuse our help. We'll be there for them in their time of need, and no mans sky will basically become a first party title"

Boyes: "you're a genius andrew, fuck me I thought it was game over for a second."

House: "shu pack your bags you're going to England"

*breaking: hellogames offices were flooded today destroying all computer equipment at the Guildford based developer*

Top Bottom