• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony offers Notch free games, turns them down to buy individually

A heartwarming story of true gamer fandom here.

Markus ‘Notch’ Persson, creator of the hugely popular Minecraft, has been tweeting about the next-gen consoles on Twitter. After expressing his interesting in the PS4 on his account, none other than Sony’s Adam Boyes got in contact with him to offer him free games. Notch’s response? No thanks.

“I have fun project, a PS4 is waiting for me, it’s Formal Friday at Mojang, and it’s our glöggpremiär. It’s going to be the best day ever” Persson initially posted.

Boyes cut in with: “send me a list of games you want and I’ll see what I can do!”

“I want to buy it myself legitimately! Games is too personal for me, I want to feel like “it’s mine”. :D But omg <3&#8243; Persson’s reply read.

Persson has become a hugely-respected figure in the gaming industry in recent years for stories just like this. And it’s clear to see why when he turns own free games to have the chance to buy them himself.

http://www.whatmobile.net/2013/11/29/sony-offers-notch-free-games-turns-buy-individually/

Lautaro

Why would you offer free games to a millionaire anyway?

And I don't see what's "heartwarming" in this, sorry.

Azih

Good stuff. He should have asked them to send the games to Child's Play or something, that would be sweet on Sony's part.

Rich!

Even as a near billionaire, he still wanted to put himself through what I did and wait 8 hours in Tesco for a PS4?

Well, I guess it wouldn't be Tesco of course, but still. Maybe he's using amazon. who knows! Who cares. He's loaded. Not a snowballs chance in hell of adam boyes ever offering me free games

sigh

Fiktion

Banned
Notch is one of those true good guys who, despite all the success in the world, has never shown any signs of being a douche. An industry treasure.

LevityNYC

Banned

antonz

Notch is a nice guy from all accounts.

Sony wants to be cool why not offer random gamers some free stuff instead of just elites

Sendou

Yeah I never really understood the whole the richer you are the more free shit you get thing. Completely backwards.

Is it really? Sony sends something to Notch and he tweets about it to this 1.5 million followers. That's closest you can get to free PR (unless he refuses them and tweets about it anyway like in this case). Beneficial to everyone involved.

Top Bottom