• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony offers Notch free games, turns them down to buy individually

I'm sure people understand it isn't about how wealthy he is, it's about the amount of publicity he can create. Notch is a very influential individual in the game development community and one of Adam's primary job as Head of Publisher Relations is to create these PR moves to build more rapport with 3rd party developers as well as advertise and promote his company's interests.

Notch could be barely scrapping by as a developer (as long as he still has his current fame) and would still be receiving these offers. Wealth is a byproduct of success and influence.

Nibel

I like them both, but that story is not a story, just two dudes on Twitter

Rich Person #1: Man, getting excited for that device
Rich Person #2: Lemme send you some free games
Rich Person #1: Nah thanks, I can buy them by myself
Website: Rich Person #1 is loved because of such heartwarming stories

tengiants

It must be a huge financial sacrifice for him to spend his own money on games.

Having worked in retail at one point in my life, when a celebrity would come in my coworkers /manager would freak out and offer free shit. It seems counter intuitive to me because they have all this money and are the last people that need it. The celebrities took them on their offer regardless.

This is a very nice symbol by Notch and it's actions like this that make me okay with living in a capitalist society.

Why would you offer free games to a millionaire anyway?

And I don't see what's "heartwarming" in this, sorry.

Rubbing those elbows man... Winning hearts and minds, making those connections dawg.

In all honesty, good on him for taking this route, but I think we're shown a situation again where we've elevated someone quite high for more or less following a decent moral code? I respect the man and his opinion, and would love to just sit and chat with him about games and their direction one day, but I'm still unsure what he's done to deserve the seemingly god status he's given these days. Never cease to amaze me gaf.

I would love to see him or someone that has been given equal status bust out unconditional love for xb1 or something totally against the grain just as a nice social experiment. While its almost gone anyway, I think the responses to a situation like that would lead to the death of all logic and reason that day. Would definitely be worth the popcorn.

EDIT:
Having worked in retail at one point in my life, when a celebrity would come in my coworkers /manager would freak out and offer free shit. It seems counter intuitive to me because they have all this money and are the last people that need it. The celebrities took them on their offer regardless.

This is a very nice symbol by Notch and it's actions like this that make me okay with living in a capitalist society.

This is kind of my point. We shouldn't be praising people for doing the right thing... we should be lambasting those that don't.

Terrell

The only story here is hard evidence of bribery tactics by Sony. I'd bet Notch would take the offer if it hadn't been made in clear view of the public. The only heartwarming thing here is seeing a developer acting responsibly on Twitter. Hats off to you, Notch.

Mononoke

Banned
The guy is a borderline billionaire. Why would Sony even need to offer him free games?

PR. Notch gets games, plays them, likes them, tweets them. Advertisement yo.

The only story here is hard evidence of coercive bribery tactics by Sony. I'd bet Notch would take the offer if it hadn't been made in clear view of the public. The only heartwarming thing here is seeing a developer acting responsibly on Twitter. Hats off to you, Notch.

Yeah coercive bribery...lmao.

Colocho

Banned
I thought he was gonna turn them down so that if he were ever to praise one of the games he received, people wouldn't go "well of course you're gonna say it's good, you got it from Sony themselves", so as a way to prevent "moneyhatting" claims.

It just turns out he wants to buy them to feel like a gamer. What a story Mark.

inky

So heartwarming.

"And that day, a rich person turned down free games to buy them with his own money kids. That is the story of how Notch saved christmas thanksgiving."

I'll sure tell this story to my grandchildren decades from now.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
While its great to see that he is humble despite being rich I don't think it really matters if he gets games for free or not. This kind of stuff happens all the time

He has no conflict of interest in accepting the gift because he isn't a journalist.

Alucrid

Banned

I don't think Notch and Boyes are in the same income bracket.

jaded_up_

Banned
The only story here is hard evidence of coercive bribery tactics by Sony. I'd bet Notch would take the offer if it hadn't been made in clear view of the public. The only heartwarming thing here is seeing a developer acting responsibly on Twitter. Hats off to you, Notch.

coercive
kəʊˈəːsɪv/Submit
adjective
relating to or using force or threats.

Soriku

bbe8a595b28dbbe32f30911653c8a8931384317899_full.jpg

Uhh, i think this article has missed out what makes this unusual.

Boyes didn't just offer Notch games, it looks like he offered to buy him an Xbox One with games, since Notch lives in a "tier 2" country. Notch already has a PS4 and games waiting for him apparently.

These are the tweets in question I believe:

Yeah, this is my interpretation too

edit: still a complete non-story but might be worth noting in this thread

Neiteio

Ha! XD

Terrell

Followed by the wrong verb.

Sony also sent a Ps4 to Prince William; i'd love your interpretation of that.

It's just a bit of harmless P.R. man, don't get your panties in a bunch.
Seems like a waste of Sony's money, if you ask me.
And my panties are quite unbunched. I'm fully aware these things happen. I'm just glad that they're admitting to buying their mindshare among the development community by doing it out in the open so no one can claim to the contrary.

pizza dog

Banned
The only story here is hard evidence of bribery tactics by Sony. I'd bet Notch would take the offer if it hadn't been made in clear view of the public. The only heartwarming thing here is seeing a developer acting responsibly on Twitter. Hats off to you, Notch.

Never change, conspiracy lunatics.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Persson has become a hugely-respected figure in the gaming industry in recent years for stories just like this.

Ding ding ding. This is the equivalent of a normal person not picking up a penny they spot on the sidewalk.

Notch is one of those true good guys who, despite all the success in the world, has never shown any signs of being a douche. An industry treasure.

Har har. One hit and he think he's an industry evangelist.

Top Bottom