• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony on the future direction of PS3 and NGP, Watch Impress editor speculates on PS4

Chaplain

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/column/kaigai/20110210_425921.html

There are no plans to reduce the die size of the PS3 beyond the current 45nm. It's possible that they are waiting for 22/20nm and will skip the 32/28nm generation. I'd read that reducing from 45nm to 32nm required a design change for the external pin connections and Sony is probably waiting for 22/20nm to make the change practical. So probably middle of 2012.

There are rumors of a PS3.5 which might happen at the same time (more memory and less likely a 4 element SPE tacked onto the memory buss). 22/20nm die process applies to all silicon including memory. As die size decreases efficiency improves and faster speeds are possible. A redesign for the PS3 from XDR ram to conventional cheap PC style ram using 20nm process could be as fast as the current XDR ram and cheaper. This might allow 500k or even 1gig ram for the PS3.5. Higher efficiency for the Cell and RSX might translate to a fanless PS3 with passive cooling. The PS3 Cell BE and RSX are being used by Sony in 4K commercial editing hardware so I expect there is a large market coming with 4K and 3-D movie editing.

Plans are to upgrade the OS Software and features of the PS3 to make it last longer For instance the PS3 can display 4K, that can be enabled with a software upgrade. 2012 should have 4K res sets as well as 4K & 1080P 3-D blu-ray players. That would have the PS3 still able to match CE equipment standards and that will be the end of the PS3's ability to keep up with the CE media advances. The PS3 will be getting a webkit browser and upgrades to the PS3 OS to enable a webkit port and to allow porting of applications and games to the PS3 via PS Suite from the NGP (windows support).

Hiroshige Goto says SCEI suspended PS4 development. They were working on a PowerPC based system at IBM Rochester after the Larrabee fall out, then shelved it. They are betting the farm on PSP2 as they expect handhelds to displace consoles.

Mod Abuse START
duckroll said:
Okay guys, I think I should note just for the record that Hiroshige Goto is the writer of the article. He is an editor at the site, and is not a Sony employee. The final paragraph in the article is merely his opinion on the direction Sony is going, and speculation he is making based on the facts uncovered last year about possible technical candidates for the PS4 hardware.

Please keep that in mind.
Mod Abuse END

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=59567

Taken from jeff_rigby on beyond3d and neogaf:

● There is no immediate plan for PlayStation 4 (PS4)

In the introduction to a new portable game platforms, the new generation of anxious but deferred. PlayStation 3 (PS3) machine's successor, present what's going on. Hirai said that as mentioned below.

"On stationary and went in business in 2006 PS3 will go to the lifecycle of 10 years. In that sense, do not go to the halfway point yet. An attractive first-party titles, both third party, rather I came out. has implemented a new initiative announced each year in the future PS3 software to enhance the feature sets to take care and hope to grow. So suddenly the next generation PS4 or stationary machines that's what the debate is not even now. I mean the PS3 is now concentrating on. In addition, NGP and PS3 now want you to appeal to a new partnership with. "

This explanation is convincing. This generation aircraft is in the current harvest, the situation has been eagerly anticipated next-generation consoles is not. There are Gemupaburissha / circumstances of the developer is also at stake. Deferred generation machine now, advances in hardware development cost is bloated title. Thus, even the major studios can not run a large number of title lines of development. Due to rising costs, market failures and costly title.

In these situations, if the aircraft appeared to freeze new architecture to study again, the engine and tools, and will repeat the cycle, such as the burden would increase further. Many Gemudeberoppa, considering the business side, it would freeze the machine you really want to leave alone.

● SCE's next game is unchanged since the process 22/20nm

SCE's plans for PS4 generation machine, the various plans so far surfaced, disappeared. Larrabee and Intel's plan to use, IBM PowerPC-based development centers in Rochester there was a plan to develop a CPU. However, last year (2010) in the middle, the plan was back to the drawing board for all these. Currently, there are even plans to run, so would not be at an advanced stage.

As a result, SCE's 32nm/28nm generation process is likely to have no plans of silicon stationary machines. Cell Broadband Engine (Cell BE) said that no plans for 32nm process version. In other words, SCE-CPU machines deferred production, presumably they can empty a process generations. Perhaps the next generation is going to be a 22nm/20nm for subsequent generations of the process.

SCE and Microsoft, IBM for one another, dimly seen through the different situations have been encountered with scissors game. Microsoft side also, the direction of the next generation, there is considerable confusion as the first next-generation hardware that Microsoft had been told to reconsider whether to even sales. For example, is said to have been discussed at the board level as well as how to feed. Microsoft also is running as a plan, not very advanced stage.

In other words, SCE is also Microsoft also last year (2010) in the later stages of planning, next generation game consoles freeze, which had continued to pretty. Both companies make no signs of generational change now that the strategy focused on current machines.

Because there was a situation, SCE also plan aside PS4, NGP is estimated to have focused on. SCE also considered an in-house resources, it is considered unavoidable. NGP and software stack, PlayStation emulator PlayStation Suite / Xperia Play 割Ita resources in software development, PS4 strength of the SCE will not only taken up and move on to. The device is smaller than the aircraft against stationary, portable machines that are more urgent is the threat of smartphone market situation there.

I am looking forward to NPG, for a portable it looks incredible...but is no replacement for PS4...it wont even look as good visually as the ps3!

angelfly

Never heard of 4K but after googling it I'm sure theres no hope for retail games at that resolution considering developers are still struggling with 720p. Would be nice for PSN. Glad to see they're not rushing towards the next generation.

thuway

I've said this before, but diminishing returns are proving to rear their heads. I would want PS4 to touch Final Fantasy Versus XIII CG in real time.

Whatever the next consoles are, they need to throw everything in there. One of the more interesting theories I read was -

An ARM CPU with SPUs :-O.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't understand what a PS3.5 is if it's not a PS4. Sony will not release a console called PS3.5 that's for sure.

Raistlin

4K Bluray? Lol no. At least not mainstream ... and certainly NOT in 2012. They are not bringing out a new format this soon.

4K sets however, that likely is the future. The main rational for them is so you can more cheaply get 1080p 3D utilizing passive glasses.

StuBurns said:
I don't understand what a PS3.5 is if it's not a PS4. Sony will not release a console called PS3.5 that's for sure.
Yeah I'd love to see how they could advertise such a thing. Obviously it would play current games, but what would it do for future games? Would they require devs to make games scale? Would they even allow PS3.5-only titles? If it's the former, will the games really offer that much of an improvement that people would be willing to pay extra? Hardcore gamers sure, mainstream? Doubtful.

Obviously they'd need to do something more with that extra horsepower - not just add some effects, fps, and AA. Some sort of new OS that allows serious multitasking? Not the gimped in-game XMB we have today, but true multitasking? That might make it worthwhile.

I don't really like the idea of firmware updates being used in place of releasing newer hardware but I guess if it means development costs can be kept lower devs are probably all for it.

StuBurns said:

PS3 does not play PS4 games. PS3 plays PS3.5 games. It would just be an upgraded PS3 similar to an upgraded iPhone or iPad.

thuway

JordanLMiller said:
I don't really like the idea of firmware updates being used in place of releasing newer hardware but I guess if it means development costs can be kept lower devs are probably all for it.

I want this gen to extend as long as possible. Plenty of people on GAF are crying for PS3.5s or Xbox 540s- but honestly, PC's haven't made the tech leaps that they should to justify new consoles.

Time needs to move forward, tech needs to mature. I read something recently where a processor breakthrough promised 9.0ghz processors in the next few years :-O.

StuBurns

Banned
H_Prestige said:
PS3 does not play PS4 games. PS3 plays PS3.5 games. It would just be an upgraded PS3 similar to an upgraded iPhone or iPad.
That's what I took from it but it seemed bizarre to me. A true half way house, same software performing better? Developers optimizing for two systems?

Why For?

Banned
Well, one less home console next gen would be nice.

Hate buying games for 3. 2 would be better.

One would get all the first party Nintendo titles, the other would get everything else.

Xater

StuBurns said:
That's what I took from it but it seemed bizarre to me. A true half way house, same software performing better? Developers optimizing for two systems?

Sounds like Sega 32x bullshit to me. Sony should know better and I have no doubt that when MS announces their new console Sony will be there witch an announcement as well.

If there is a PS3.5 it will just play all the same software as PS3 but might have other advancements in non-game areas.

They are definitely not going to release PS3 games that won't play on launch day PS3s.

neptunes

Snakeyes said:
If Nintendo is to make a push for the HD market it's now or never.
what does that have to do with the other two? (Sony and MS) they stand to profit more waiting out next gen than Nintendo does.

Interesting things are afoot. I guess this means no PS4 in 2013. 2014? 2015? 2016???? It seems like they had plans for one sooner than later, but they were shelved.

Nintendo joining the PS360 capability band most of the way through the generation has some very interesting effects. They end up with a machine that's by it's very nature more powerful than the PS360. They automatically get a port of nearly every major 3rd party game that's released starting with that holiday season. They technically start the next generation a couple of years before their competitors, and coming at that new generation from their current standing gives third parties a very strong reason to support them early on.

Epic is the only one that has me scratching my head. It seems like there's bad blood there, but that may wash when Nintendo has an easy platform for them to target.

Very interesting effects. Many could be argued, I'm sure.

Gravijah

Xater said:
Sounds like Sega 32x bullshit to me. Sony should know better and I have no doubt that when MS announces their new console Sony will be there witch an announcement as well.

Well, Nintendo was very successful with the 64DD.

Remember all the success they had with it?

Success, remember?

Success?

StuBurns said:

Games probably wouldn't perform any better, but the hardware and OS would be "new".

Honestly, I think the market has spoken. They care more about games and features than they do about massive raw power (which you wouldn't get in a PS4 anyway because of thermal constraints). If Sony and MS can keep HW and SW sales going without completely throwing away the userbase and tools they've already built, then that makes much more business sense and is better for most consumers too.

FUCKING HELLLL NO

What ever this 4k shit is, nobody in hell is going to upgrade to that after this expensive HD transition. They're lucky that so many people moved to HD in the first place.

Edit: And look, there's an 8k resolution too. It never ends!

RyanDG

The google translation on this is giving me a headache. Looking at the original source - even with my limited Japanese - there's nothing in there that says that Sony is suspending, deferring, or halting PS4 development and 'betting the farm' on the NGP. I could be wrong about this, but the best I'm getting is the same stuff we've heard before... Longer console life-cycles to off set development costs, creating a software link between the PS3 and the NGP (in terms of a multiplatform solution for developers) to help get a maximum extension from the PS3's lifetime (which may also include OS or feature software updates), and the rumored technology going into the PS4 being reworked by Sony.

Am I missing something?

Edit - And for clarification - the updates being mentioned to the PS3 are all updates that are like the ones we are currently getting - such as the addition of 3D. There is nothing in the article referencing a PS3.5 or a hardware upgrade that would fundamentally change the hardware to PS3+ of sorts. I have no idea where that speculation is coming from...

thuway

They could technically extend the gen a few more years with a PS3.5 that plays PS2, PS3, and PSP games. It could offer all those cross game chat, blah blah features that we've all come to love. It could do some minor tech improvements where multiplat games will run on with better framerates, and better AA.

They could sell it at a profit. Win-win- for consumer. This way they could also phase out the PS3 slowly too.

They need to call it PS3-something. The dumbest idea though is making exclusive software for it.

StuBurns

Banned
Gravijah said:
Well, Nintendo was very successful with the 64DD.

Remember all the success they had with it?

Success, remember?

Success?
But they were successful with the Gamecube 1.5. Which is why I can't see a PS3.5 not just being called PS4. Seems strange to me. And I agree with Xater, Sony will announce a PS4 when MS make their move, they have no choice. It's that or bow out, and they won't do that.

After the PS2's impressive lifespan, it's really no surprise that Sony wants to try and recreate another 10-year success with the PS3.

Huff

Banned
I still highly doubt that Sony is not currently working on a PS4.

And would the PS3.5 be like a super slim? Just advertise it as that.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
thuway said:
I want this gen to extend as long as possible. Plenty of people on GAF are crying for PS3.5s or Xbox 540s- but honestly, PC's haven't made the tech leaps that they should to justify new consoles.

Time needs to move forward, tech needs to mature. I read something recently where a processor breakthrough promised 9.0ghz processors in the next few years :-O.
wasn't alan wake xbox 540 exclusive?

Mikey Jr.

Please let this gen last as long as possible. I am perfectly fine with my PS3 and 360, and really don't want to spend another x amount of money for 2 systems. Fuck that. The graphics right now are great.

As for this PS 3.5, its fine by me if I can still play 3.5 games. If its just new features like video editing and 4k resolution, then I really don't care.

If the first part of that post is based off of someone reading an online translation then a lot of it is probably very inaccurate.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jett said:
Weeks old.

+ a lot of 'reading into things' that isn't present in the original article (as far as I know anyway), layered on top of the original's speculation.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
BTW, if Sony TRULY focus of their handheld platform this time, they might be able to compete...

androvsky

civilstrife said:
Isn't this kind of... Huge?

Are they essentially bowing out of next gen?

It would be if:

a) They were putting off the PS4 forever.
b) This wasn't based on someone reading between the lines of a google translation from Japanese to English (is there any major language google translate does worse on?).

Game Analyst said:
Hiroshige Goto says SCEI suspended PS4 development. They were working on a PowerPC based system at IBM Rochester after the Larrabee fall out, then shelved it. They are betting the farm on PSP2 as they expect handhelds to displace consoles. [/i]

Then why didn't they put a video out on the PSP2?

Reallink

Realistically, Nintendo are going to launch a Wii 2 by the end of 2012. A custom designed $300 box of modern components (even from Nintendo) will blow current gen out of the water--even "current-gen-point-five" (which reeks of 32X/Sega CD and would likely fail pretty spectacularly). If people felt the need (or desire) to buy new hardware, they would buy a bonafide next-gen console (Wii 2) not a modified PS3. This rumor made the N4G rounds 2-3+ weeks ago by the way (the shelved PS4 bit and supposed focus on NGP).

Zen

Banned
thuway said:
They could technically extend the gen a few more years with a PS3.5 that plays PS2, PS3, and PSP games. It could offer all those cross game chat, blah blah features that we've all come to love. It could do some minor tech improvements where multiplat games will run on with better framerates, and better AA.

They could sell it at a profit. Win-win- for consumer. This way they could also phase out the PS3 slowly too.

They need to call it PS3-something. The dumbest idea though is making exclusive software for it.
PS3+ :p

Vic said:
BTW, if Sony TRULY focus of their handheld platform this time, they might be able to compete...
imo in terms of the hand held space if they can sell 60m plus unit's and not 'compete' I doubt they would be too disappointed.

Anyway I would still bet on a mid to late 2013 ps4 release at minimum 6 months after X Box 720 and a quite a long time after the Wii 2 with the likes of UC4 & KZ4 releasing within a year of launch.

Top Bottom