• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: Our Exclusives Are Too Special and Valuable to Giveaway Day One with PS Now

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This does not make sense at all. This is just beyond stupid.

Reminds of this stupid „EA Access has NO VALUE“ and look where we are now: EA Access is now on PS4

Let’s assume the games are too special, well then having them on game pass is the best ad they could ever wish for. People can try them out and then buy them! Simple as that.
Same with Movies, Musik etc. There is Spotify yes there is Netflix etc. But that doesn’t mean people don’t buy music or blu rays anymore.

This just shows how out of touch the Sony management is. They will fail so hard in the future.

And look what happens as these "services" grow larger and larger... they start restricting features and now falsely advertise.

And your last sentence, :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

Gamernyc78

Banned
This was common years ago when there were very few subscription services, but it's going to be much less common moving forward as the market continues to get flooded with more and more subscription services and monthly subscriptions costs start to rise. People are already starting to cancel services as bills start to reach in excess of $100 per month just for subscription services. Plenty of people cancel Netflix/HBO etc. after they watch their favorite show/program.

Yup I'm. One of them very in tune with my budget and in the know with the auto renew bs after both Sony, Amazon and Microsoft did tht bs to me years ago. Once it happens once ppl tend to pay attention. Most of us do not have a bottom less account. They say the average person lives check to check and if thts true bet your ass thy are paying attention.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yep they are so out of touch, they continue to be outsell MS. Sorry, but it's you who is out of touch.

Lol oh boyyyy are ppl still pushing the old narrative "Sony is going to fail so hard" after all these years? Ppl love being proven wrong over and over its "insanity" at its purest definition.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol oh boyyyy are ppl still pushing the old narrative "Sony is going to fail so hard" after all these years? Ppl love being proven wrong over and over its "insanity" at its purest definition.

It comes down to not doing a lot of these things on the list as well.

Last edited:
Yes, this entire thread is about skepticism. You call us jaded, but I call you naive. Specifically, you saying sustainability doesn’t concern you, well it should because if it fails it can potentially (not saying it will) have long term collateral damage to the industry. That’s a worse case scenario.

This has got to be one of the most ridiculously dramatic things I've read in a while, and that's saying a lot. If the gamepass model fails or causes a degridation in quality it will have a long term collateral impact on the industry? Give me a break. Companies have been making bad games, or cash grab games, for decades without the industry suffering. You know what happens when they make bad games... nobody buys them and they lose money. As a consumer I lose nothing.

I guess I fail to understand why I am supposed to worry about the sustainability of their model. I am not a stock holder, I don't work for MS, and outside of owning a video game console I have no vested interest in their decisions. If they cancel gamepass or even quit making games, life will go on and somebody else will fill that gap. Just like Sony did when Sega moved away from making consoles.

Personally I would say the lack of risks in the video game industry have had a much more negative impact on it than anything. The lack of originally, never ending sequels, and regurgitation of ideas has made me less interested in video games now than I ever have been, and I've been a gamer since the Atari. You want to be concerned, focus there.

Finally, I say you are jaded because you talk in negative absolutes without fact or data to back it up. You assume that gamepass will hurt the industry instead of bolster it. You assume it will never be profitable or will hurt development. You have nothing to back this up except skepticism of the platform. Here's the reality... If MS finds gamepass to be a failure they will quit offering it and cut their losses, just like the did the Zune, and just like Windows Phone.

Gamernyc78

Banned
This has got to be one of the most ridiculously dramatic things I've read in a while, and that's saying a lot. If the gamepass model fails or causes a degridation in quality it will have a long term collateral impact on the industry? Give me a break. Companies have been making bad games, or cash grab games, for decades without the industry suffering. You know what happens when they make bad games... nobody buys them and they lose money. As a consumer I lose nothing.

I guess I fail to understand why I am supposed to worry about the sustainability of their model. I am not a stock holder, I don't work for MS, and outside of owning a video game console I have no vested interest in their decisions. If they cancel gamepass or even quit making games, life will go on and somebody else will fill that gap. Just like Sony did when Sega moved away from making consoles.

Personally I would say the lack of risks in the video game industry have had a much more negative impact on it than anything. The lack of originally, never ending sequels, and regurgitation of ideas has made me less interested in video games now than I ever have been, and I've been a gamer since the Atari. You want to be concerned, focus there.

Finally, I say you are jaded because you talk in negative absolutes without fact or data to back it up. You assume that gamepass will hurt the industry instead of bolster it. You assume it will never be profitable or will hurt development. You have nothing to back this up except skepticism of the platform. Here's the reality... If MS finds gamepass to be a failure they will quit offering it and cut their losses, just like the did the Zune, and just like Windows Phone.

"guess I fail to understand why I am supposed to worry about the sustainability of their model"

Go ask Sega lol and NEC and oh SNK. Like did you really type this. Any failure in a sector of gaming affects their bottom line if it affects their bottom line, that's less money to make the games you want to play, create the innovation to push the industry forward, etc...

Your whole statement is fallacious and not cogent.

Top Bottom