• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Patents Emotion Detecting Software For Games

5pg653.jpg

quick & dirty

AndyD

aka andydumi
MightyHedgehog said:
Eh, no one is going to be able to patent something so general. If it's an issue, you're going to see lots of lawyers get it on for some sort of settlement at worst. (Damn, that would be ultra-ridiculous.)

Its very possible, and its been done. I am not saying its right, but its been done with many things that seem "too simple". Mostly because often times its done ahead of its time when it seems futuristic and so its not "simple".

Things like touchscreens in the 80's and 90's. Back then it was futuristic and awesome, now its in millions of devices.

That seems something like a update of PlayTV, in order to detect the behaviour of the user, and then being able to check the program reaction to that user and, extendedly, to the audience.

Something like an audience counter, but detecting the behaviour instead of only the number of viewers.

Zen

Banned
Sony is doing as much as they can to make the PSEye have/do everything that Natal can (Which is... everything except the 3D depth measurement). Now they just need to repackage adn market the thing aggressively.

chubigans said:
Isn't this kinda what the Milo tech uses? Recognizing user emotions so that Milo can react back?

Bingo.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I could see this used with Buzz to get reactions to various questions.

I wonder if Sony already records any data like this and upload it in existing games/apps sort of without us knowing? After all the EULA has all sorts of stuff in there.

AndyD said:
Its very possible, and its been done. I am not saying its right, but its been done with many things that seem "too simple". Mostly because often times its done ahead of its time when it seems futuristic and so its not "simple".
Well, anything is possible...but I think that the exact methods of detection, determination, and resulting action are going to be at the heart of any dispute. Patenting ways to track and respond to audio-visual feedback of general human behaviors is going to be next to impossible to corner, IMO.

Things like touchscreens in the 80's and 90's. Back then it was futuristic and awesome, now its in millions of devices.
There are certain specific ways to do this, though. Perhaps early patents covered the most logical and easiest to accomplish methods, but I don't think this emotion detection patent is going to work anywhere near as neatly.

AndyD

aka andydumi
MightyHedgehog said:
Well, anything is possible...but I think that the exact methods of detection, determination, and resulting action are going to be at the heart of any dispute. Patenting ways to track and respond to audio-visual feedback of general human behaviors is going to be next to impossible to corner, IMO.

There are certain specific ways to do this, though. Perhaps early patents covered the most logical and easiest to accomplish methods, but I don't think this emotion detection patent is going to work anywhere near as neatly.

I think it can if carefully drafted.

Remember it does not react to the emotion per se, but to the visual and auditory stimulus. The camera records a high five motion, the mic records laughter.

So if you fake it, it will react. So even if the emotion is absent the actions are there.

Ill look for the patent and see how its phrased.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
deepbrown said:
Well the pic all made you laugh...:lol
Yes, yes it did, quite a bit actually.

Anyway, emotion detecting eh? getting ever closer to a real life sarcasm detector...

Though I like the gist of the idea, the way the patent is presented is hilarious. Also, I don't think this would work on me. I don't tend to laugh or make much movement at all in games. I don't cheer, don't grimace all that much, don't chuckle etc. I've cried once or twice, but I don't really expect Sony to make a game that could make me cry, and adjust itself to it. :lol

AndyD said:
I think it can if carefully drafted.

Remember it does not react to the emotion per se, but to the visual and auditory stimulus. The camera records a high five motion, the mic records laughter.

So if you fake it, it will react. So even if the emotion is absent the actions are there.

Ill look for the patent and see how its phrased.
Eh, I'm not interested, really. If I was a lawyer on retainer for Sony or MS, I'm sure I'd be helped by getting involved at the early stages of determining how to work with the patent and its language. Leave this shit for their IP legal folks to fuck with. If this has any real weight, I'm sure there is much craziness to be had in the near future.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Galvanise_ said:
Though I like the gist of the idea, the way the patent is presented is hilarious. Also, I don't think this would work on me. I don't tend to laugh or make much movement at all in games. I don't cheer, don't grimace all that much, don't chuckle etc. I've cried once or twice, but I don't really expect Sony to make a game that could make me cry, and adjust itself to it. :lol

Dont think of it necessarily as hardcore games.

Think of kinds games and say Eyepet. The child's reaction to certain actions by the creature can be responded to. If the game detects the child laughing, it can smile. Or it can put a hand to its ear as if its listening closely. These subtle things can make a huge difference in the experience without really affecting "gameplay".

Or Buzz questions. A tough question comes up and everyone groans, or something funny where everyone laughs.

Or watching a movie trailer in Home. It can detect the portions which people like by their laughter.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I know it's the weekend and all, but I don't get why (other than the retarded picture) people think this is horrible, but thought Milo was like the next revolution in gaming. So, Microsoft makes a pedo's dream of a little boy interacting with the player and responding to emotion/speech and people love it, but Sony files a patent to do the same thing and it's greeted with mockery?

I can't tell if all of this is directed solely at the pictures or what.

mrgone

Wow.. I think software patents (and most patents in general) are totally bullshit, but patent illustrations are a fantastic source of comedy. High fives to Sony's emotion activated spanking machine

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
but thought Milo was like the next revolution in gaming

people on GAF thought Milo was the next revolution in gaming?

anyways, Sony can stick a spoke in that imaginary runaway popularity bicycle now they've got this patent.

WhiteAce said:
people on GAF thought Milo was the next revolution in gaming?

anyways, Sony can stick a spoke in that imaginary runaway popularity bicycle now they've got this patent.

Quite right. I was hoping they'd leave this shite well alone.

Frankly the tech is not in place to understand human emotion. Having spoken to both professional Physchologists and Neurologists, the general consensus is that the human eye + brain struggles to effectivley understand human emotion bar a person to person schema.

spwolf

AndyD said:
Dont think of it necessarily as hardcore games.

Think of kinds games and say Eyepet. The child's reaction to certain actions by the creature can be responded to. If the game detects the child laughing, it can smile. Or it can put a hand to its ear as if its listening closely. These subtle things can make a huge difference in the experience without really affecting "gameplay".

Or Buzz questions. A tough question comes up and everyone groans, or something funny where everyone laughs.

Or watching a movie trailer in Home. It can detect the portions which people like by their laughter.

specifically, this is basically automatic rating of content - for instance movies, it tags what you liked and what you didnt, and builds an reccomendation for your pattern. Like what Tivo does, except without your input.

Its not that complicated to understand really :).

Top Bottom