• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony pictures CEO: "next consolidation will be in the game business"

Dabaus

Banned

Bryank75

Banned
According to wikipedia they did that back in 2012.

Yes, they still own them... and it is a huge portion of the company.

I am thinking that it was moved from short term assets (Cash and equivalents) to longterm assets.... due to the nature and length of the investment.

That would result in cash showing as 17+ billion less but longterm assets increasing.

Bryank75

Banned
You read what I wrote, right? Less output, less studios. Not less studios with more output.

Tell that to Insomniac! hahahah

spider-man marvel GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

Kokoloko85

Also a good option, cheaper but lots of potential.

Yeah they need to buy someone big now that MS is doing it. Otherwise I was happy Sony doing what they were doing and buying studios they had a relationship with, ( Exclusive IP’s and games after many years, hence organic growth ) but they need to spend bigger now.

Capcom, Square, Sega are all great choices. I feel Sega + Atlus would be pretty big. But owning IP like Resident Evil, Street Fighter & DMC would be huge. Plus having Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney is basically winning Japan.

Square would also be great with Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon Quest, Nier, tons of classic JRPG’s but also Tomb Rader and Deus Ex.

Didnt realise Sega was cheaper than Capcom and Square? JRPG’s like Persona, SMT and Disgae, Phantasy Star, Valkyrie Chronicles would be great. Plus Yakuza, Virtua Fighter, Jet Set Radio, Sonic franchise, Panzer Dragoon and alot more.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
You read what I wrote, right? Less output, less studios. Not less studios with more output.
I didn't even mention anything about output.

Also, sometimes (though not always), when companies get acquired by big publishers, they grow because of more funding and can increase output, e.g., Insomniac, Obsidian, PlayGround, etc.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I don't think Sony will be buying any of the large publishers mentioned in here. If they did, they would instantly be less valuable.

CamHostage

The acquisition wars are basically the battle for the future.
However phenomenons like fortnite,among us, rocket league etc will keep monopolies at bay.

Heh, I'm with you; however, in your own example, the maker of Rocket League was acquired by the maker of Fortnite.

I don't know what it would take for the monopolies to take Epic Games, (a few of the big players have a piece already, which would make it difficult for one to take the other's share,) but Unreal Engine is already on its way to being the main gateway to game production (including UE Marketplace,) so in addition to the phenomenon game that makes them formidable, they are on their way to controlling the market of development.

So are people who were against acquisitions and consolidation before, gonna start cheering them on now?

Just keep that same energy.

Personally doesn't matter much on my end. What happens, happens. We'll just have to see what actually occurs. But I'm not gonna make a wishlist for who gets bought (or complain when a company gets acquired).

yurinka

Yeah they need to buy someone big now that MS is doing it. Otherwise I was happy Sony doing what they were doing and buying studios they had a relationship with, ( Exclusive IP’s and games after many years, hence organic growth ) but they need to spend bigger now.
No, MS did it because Sony had way more internal development teams and (currently) important IPs and generates more money, so they needed to catch up and generated way more money.

Sony continues breaking gaming history records for any console platform holder regarding generated revenue, consoles sold and games sold for their consoles. They also release more exclusives than MS, exclusives that sell more, get better reviews and earn more GOTY awards than the MS ones. Zenimax represented less than 5% of the games sold for PS4, so won't miss them if they go full exclusive in the future.

Sony doesn't have any reason to acquire a big publisher. Their plan is to continue growing their existing internal development studios, to open new ones and acquiring some that have a long, successful relationship with them working on PS exclusive games.

I think Sony won't buy Square, Capcom, Take 2, Sega, etc. even if it could make sense and Sony could have enough money. The other also has to want (or need) to be acquired. They all are in a good financial shape and have a mostly multiplatform approach where even in some cases PS is their main revenue source, to stop releasing future stuff on Switch, PC (at least at launch, PC port could be done several years later) and Xbox would be a major negative impact on their revenue cutting away in some cases over half of their game revenue.

It think they may acquire instead someone like Bluepoint, Kojipro, Quantic Dream, Supermassive, ARC System Works, etc. Game development studios whose revenue mostly was from PS exclusives, so to be acquired would mean a growth giving them more budget, resources and stability. Or due to strategical reasons, some Asian studio that may be unknown for console gamers but is huge in F2P mobile or PC Asian/worldwide market since they also want to grow there.

As I said Sony is looking for IP acquisitions but that doesn’t necessarily mean only in gaming.
Source? I think it isn't the case.

Sony already has more big game IPs than the ones they can develop. And around half of the games they are developing are new IPs. Sony also mentioned they wanted to see more collaboration between divisions, so we could see them using some movie/anime IP they own on games.

When Hermen or Ryan said they were considering or open to acquisitions always mentioned studios or companies, not IPs, and sometimes specified they are particularly interested on people with a long relationship with them, so people who did work for them.

For Sony is more important Uncharted, TLOU or GoT, or their own cinema/anime IPs than Spider-Man because they get a full revenue from the games, movies, tv shows or anime. Considering Disney's cut on Spider-Man games, nside SIE their own IPs generate way more money for them than that licensed IP.

They have room to improve on how they milk these existing internal big IPs as it would be acquiring dev studios or growing the internal ones to develop them with more sequels or to use them for movies/tv shows/anime, or to use some existing big movie/tv show/anime IPs they have that may have a big potential if using them in games. And they are working on that. In addition to this, they produce new big gaming or movie IPs almost every year, so I don't see why they would want to buy more IP.

An option would be to enlarge their catalog for PS Now, their anime streaming apps or -if they ever make it- their own 'Netflix' to put there all their movies, tv shows and anime under a single app/subscription. I think they always welcome more big IPs but to grow hard PSNow and make their own Netflix isn't their priority now.

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
Consolidation isnt just buying game devs. You have to think in broader terms. It could mean devs, hardware, distribution, anything in the chain that is able to add growth.

Consolidation is usually a result of companies not seeing a way to grow their userbase or profits by doing what they already are doing. For example if sony or MS think they have reached a point where they cant really expect to sell more consoles, they might look to acquire a company related to gaming to grow revenues that way.

Of course game makers are an option but not the only one.

Boss Mog

Sony and Nintendo merger. Sony focuses on home consoles, Nintendo on portables. The 2 machines can be used to play eachother, Nintendo makes games for the home console and Sony makes games for the portable, both have PSN which is more robust than Nintendo's current online. I could dig it.

Dabaus

Banned
No, MS did it because Sony had way more internal development teams and (currently) important IPs and generates more money, so they needed to catch up and generated way more money.

Sony continues breaking gaming history records for any console platform holder regarding generated revenue, consoles sold and games sold for their consoles. They also release more exclusives than MS, exclusives that sell more, get better reviews and earn more GOTY awards than the MS ones. Zenimax represented less than 5% of the games sold for PS4, so won't miss them if they go full exclusive in the future.

Sony doesn't have any reason to acquire a big publisher. Their plan is to continue growing their existing internal development studios, to open new ones and acquiring some that have a long, successful relationship with them working on PS exclusive games.

I think Sony won't buy Square, Capcom, Take 2, Sega, etc. even if it could make sense and Sony could have enough money. The other also has to want (or need) to be acquired. They all are in a good financial shape and have a mostly multiplatform approach where even in some cases PS is their main revenue source, to stop releasing future stuff on Switch, PC (at least at launch, PC port could be done several years later) and Xbox would be a major negative impact on their revenue cutting away in some cases over half of their game revenue.

It think they may acquire instead someone like Bluepoint, Kojipro, Quantic Dream, Supermassive, ARC System Works, etc. Game development studios whose revenue mostly was from PS exclusives, so to be acquired would mean a growth giving them more budget, resources and stability. Or due to strategical reasons, some Asian studio that may be unknown for console gamers but is huge in F2P mobile or PC Asian/worldwide market since they also want to grow there.

Source? I think it isn't the case.

Sony already has more big game IPs than the ones they can develop. And around half of the games they are developing are new IPs. Sony also mentioned they wanted to see more collaboration between divisions, so we could see them using some movie/anime IP they own on games.

When Hermen or Ryan said they were considering or open to acquisitions always mentioned studios or companies, not IPs, and sometimes specified they are particularly interested on people with a long relationship with them, so people who did work for them.

For Sony is more important Uncharted, TLOU or GoT, or their own cinema/anime IPs than Spider-Man because they get a full revenue from the games, movies, tv shows or anime. Considering Disney's cut on Spider-Man games, nside SIE their own IPs generate way more money for them than that licensed IP.

They have room to improve on how they milk these existing internal big IPs as it would be acquiring dev studios or growing the internal ones to develop them with more sequels or to use them for movies/tv shows/anime, or to use some existing big movie/tv show/anime IPs they have that may have a big potential if using them in games.
https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/News/Press/202105/20-042E/ Its number 3.

Hezekiah

Banned
At least they acknowledge this and it seems theyve had enough discussions at top levels where even separate divisions within sony are aware of this. Knowing if is half the battle, we'll see if they act on it. I sort of doubt they will make a publisher acquisition, maybe a wild card like ubisoft. Square enix is definitely the publisher they have the best relationship with but that may mean they dont see a need to purchase them.
I really don't see Sony buying a publisher, and it's not really necessary.

If they're going to buy a big developer, then From Software would make the most sense in my opinion.

KAL2006

Banned
Microsoft have more money, if Microsoft were clever they would target PlayStation fanbase and go for Capcom and Square. They need to lock down Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter. Basically give PlayStation owners no choice but to play on PC or buy an Xbox. Buying Bethesda isn't really targeting PlayStation fanbase as Bethesda is known for FPS games which fans already into Xbox. But getting those key IPs and developers that PlayStation fans love will make alot of PlayStation fans reconsider there purchase.

That is how much the value of stock that shareholders have is.....

The companies do not own that stock anymore, I dunno why there is such a focus on market cap.

It is almost irrelevant to the company in terms of operations.

The company only gets money from the IPO of stock... after that the stock is traded between private holders and institutions who make the money off the stock going up.... the companies make nothing off increases in value.
Stock price is super important for M&A as it provides the basis for valuation given most M&As incorporate copious amounts of leverage (e.g. corporate debt in the form of bonds or convertible notes; which is debt that converts into equity in future subject to certain success milestones).

yurinka

Thanks, I didn't know about this. They plan to invest ~$18B (plus to increase it in the future depending on growth) over the next 3 years on strategic investment to grow their subscription services, presence on moble, and (something not very clear, may talk about user generated content like LBP/Dreams, something like integration of movie/game purchase on social media or new business models like to buy console games for streaming to play them anywhere without owning a conosle) via technology, shares repurchase and IP/Direct-To-Consumer.

Regarding IP/DTC they specify in a note 'Sony’s ability to maintain product quality and customer satisfaction with its products and services', so I assume they mean to develop and sell via their own channels their own IP instead of that they plan to buy IPs, because in another place for IP/DTC they also say ' Investment accelerated in particular over the past three years starting with the acquisition of EMI Music Publishing' and 'In the Game & Network Services segment, network sales increased almost tenfold in the fiscal year ended March 31, 2021 (FY2020) compared to the fiscal year ended March 31, 2014 (FY2013).'

In another place they mention 'Sony plans to further strengthen its partnerships in the area of DTC (Direct-to-Consumer) services, and accelerate its initiatives and investments, particularly in the mobile and social spaces'. Which not sure what it means for games unless they mean PS Now is coming to mobile and that you'll be able to buy games to stream them anywhere without needing to own a console. Plus releasing more mobile games.

They also mention 'As part of these efforts, Jim Ryan, President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment (“SIE”) stated that, “through investments in IP, group collaboration within Sony, and investment in social and mobile, we are excited for the opportunity to continue to expand our community.” Not sure if 'investing in IP' he means about buying IPs, I assume Jimbo means something more like 'we'll continue milking our IPs and creating new cool ones'.

They also add:

'Formation and expansion of communities of interest
Leveraging DTC services such as PlayStation™Network and Funimation, and collaboration between areas such as anime and games, Sony aims to contribute to the formation and activation of communities of interest (where people share emotionally-impactful experiences and similar interests), and through that fill the world with Kando.

Expanding the number of people around the world directly connected to the Sony Group

In addition to collaboration between its entertainment businesses such as games, pictures and music, and alliances with external partners, Sony also plans to strengthen its initiatives in the service, mobile and social spaces to further expand these communities, and seeks to expand the number of people around the world directly connected to the Sony Group due to their desire to consume entertainment from the current number of approximately 160 million to 1 billion people.

• Sony will aim to increase the engagement of users of the PlayStation™Network as the Sony Group’s largest DTC service and community by strengthening the PlayStation™Now cloud streaming game service, and Sony intends to continue investing in or partnering with external studios in addition to investing in its in-house studios to enhance its software offering.
  • Fate/Grand Order (FGO) is a prime example of how Sony is deploying its anime-related IP. Going forward Sony will continue to actively release mobile games based on anime-related IP around the world, and further focus on deploying PlayStation’s proprietary IP to mobile as well.
  • In the PlayStation® business, Sony will seek to expand the community through investments in IP, group collaboration within Sony, and investment in social and mobile.'

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Microsoft have more money, if Microsoft were clever they would target PlayStation fanbase and go for Capcom and Square. They need to lock down Monster Hunter, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter. Basically give PlayStation owners no choice but to play on PC or buy an Xbox. Buying Bethesda isn't really targeting PlayStation fanbase as Bethesda is known for FPS games which fans already into Xbox. But getting those key IPs and developers that PlayStation fans love will make alot of PlayStation fans reconsider there purchase.
MS tried this in the early 360 days locking down Japanese content, it didnt work. The games didnt sell. New franchises were dead on arrival (Blue dragon, losy odyssey, infinite undiscovery) and ruined established franchises to this day (Tales of, Star ocean, and ace combat). Tales of is doing better now that its front and center on playstation and the most recent ace combat was ps4 exclusive if im not mistaken.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Companies also have treasury stock. And if they issue new shares, the going price will be that (although dilution occurs).

The market cap still holds as it doesnt matter whether a company or mom and dad hold shares.

If you own a house for $1M entirely, but then split the house 50/50 with a family member on paper so you both own it. You each own $500k. But the house is still worth $1M.
what is it with you and MrFunSocks MrFunSocks and houses, jeez, owning one, building one, burning it down? "lollipop_disappointed:

kyliethicc

I know they did Helldivers but they're quite new aren't they? And their next game is multiplatform isnt it.
They have not said much about their next game. Just "next gen" and PC.

Sony had no issue with letting Arrowhead put Helldivers on PC, even in 2015.

Arrowhead haven't said who is publishing. My bet is Sony.

And they have never shipped a game on Xbox, ever.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
They have not said much about their next game. Just "next gen" and PC.

Sony had no issue with letting Arrowhead put Helldivers on PC, even in 2015.

Arrowhead haven't said who is publishing. My bet is Sony.

And they have never shipped a game on Xbox, ever.
Interesting. They're quite small and I imagine would be relatively cheap too.

Definitely seems to be something up with the three recent acquisitions, and the BluePoint rumours.

kyliethicc

Interesting. They're quite small and I imagine would be relatively cheap too.

Definitely seems to be something up with the three recent acquisitions, and the BluePoint rumours.

Bluepoint wasn't a rumor. The official PlayStation twitter shared an officially made image announcing an acquisition. And it was featured on their official PS Blog. It was then all deleted.

And yeah Arrowhead fits the model of acquisitions Sony are making.

Last edited:

Beelzebubs

Very possible. Leyou games absolutely fell apart after Tencent bought them.... so Sony might want the Warframe dev and a few bits and pieces.

Sumo digital is another one but I doubt Tencent would get rid of them cause they get consistent work and are a regular income.

Personally I'd prefer Sony to buy Kadokawa, IOI, Asobo or MiHoYo. If they went crazy big... Square or Capcom, who both have a lot of film and anime potential.
Konami or some of their IP's at least :p

Last edited:

graywolf323

Sony make an iPad app so I can stream your games ;)
does the PS Remote Play app not have an iPad version?

MonarchJT

Banned
Like I said in another comment, if they decided to buy something like capcom they wouldn't do it with all cash anyway

If they think it's the type of growth they need they'll absolutely do it.
it's not how Sony ever operated with studios ....plus they never did an acquisition like this in gaming ...plus they already told us officially that they will continuie with organic grow plus i don't think that Sony can go out spending 5 or 6 billions everyday

Last edited:
it's not how Sony ever operated with studios ....plus they never did an acquisition like this in gaming ...plus they already told us officially that they will continuie with organic grow

PlayStation is under completely new leadership. We're also in a consolidating market to boot. Just look at what they've been doing right now, they've never aquired this many studios in quick succession before.

They've said they're going to grow organically and through aquisitions.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
PlayStation is under completely new leadership. We're also in a consolidating market to boot. Just look at what they've been doing right now, they've never aquired this many studios in quick succession before.

They've said they're going to grow organically and through aquisitions.
this is what will continue to happen...Sony will buy studios with who they are close....and it is perfectly fine ...because they dosnt have a gamepass (still)
don't expect them to buy a pub

Last edited:
this is what will continue to happen...Sony will buy studios with who they are close....and it is perfectly fine ...because they dosnt have a gamepass (still)
don't expect them to buy a pub

Their aquisitions will have nothing to do with gamepass

I'm not expecting anything, but to be outright confident that Sony isn't going to pull moves like buying a pub is naive

Last edited:
Top Bottom