• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures mad at Netflix’s failure to block overseas VPN users

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimi_dini

calling it piracy that is “semi-sanctioned by Netflix.”

Look at what I'm doing Sony.

I'm from Europe and I'm using your region 1 DVDs in my DVD player. It's even a Sony DVD player.

And and and I'm also using your Region A BluRays in my BluRay player. Which is a PS3. Which was also made by you.

You fucking morons.

freddy

Banned

I'm from Europe and I'm using your region 1 DVDs in my DVD player. It's even a Sony DVD player.

And and and I'm also using your Region A BluRays in my BluRay player. Which is a PS3. Which was also made by you.

You fucking morons.

Yea it was too bad they lost that case in Australia about region locking. Now all they can do is leverage their assets and power to blackmail other companies to enforce it.

neorej

ERMYGERD!

You fucking morons.

YOU MONSTER!

tbm24

You fucking morons.

Seems to me in your case, you provided money to Sony in some capacity when you purchased those.

Funny that Breaking Bad is being used as leverage here. I've heard an argument that Netflix deserves credit for making Bb into the juggernaut it was by having it available for people to catch up on.

tbm24

So they didn't get any money from Netflix?

From what's understood, Netflix pays Sony a set amount for a set amount of content for a particular region. In this case we're talking about the US region. So the money you're paying to netflix to access their US content in a region Netflix did not pay Sony for, doesn't go to Sony. Netflix in turn does very little to curb people tuning in through VPNs, even if Sony acknowledges that it's impossible to stop, they'd like Netflix to pretend they give a shit. About the gist of why Sony is crossed with Netflix.

While ideologically that makes sense, the advent of the internet doesn't just magically solve the realities of content distribution. Sure there are systemic issues with parties not wanting to move the needle, but there are real and valid issues that prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Let me give a simple example. We have a studio 'Sorny' that creates a show. They want to distribute it all over the world. However, there isn't a single company with distribution capabilities across the globe. Now enter 'Webflix'. They have a service that includes the US, UK, Canada, and Japan. Sorny would love to have it available everywhere, but they can't ask Webflix to give them reasonable value for worldwide distribution for two reasons. One, Webflix doesn't directly offer their service everywhere and will only pay for the areas they intend to directly offer the given content. Two, they literally can't afford the world-wide distribution valuation. Webflix is a growing business, but they do not have infinite reserves. They need to grow revenue by slowly expanding to different markets, increasing the userbase in each region. Once they have sufficient subscribers in a given region they can then add more and more content there.

See where this is going?

Now move back to Sorny. They then want to offer this content in other regions. First problem is contract negotiations take time. You can't expect multiple companies of different sizes to get things done at the same time. Worse, Sorny's negotiating power is negatively impacted because these new distributors argue that people in their region are using VPN's to access Webflix, and they can't guarantee the number of users Sorny is claiming in their valuation. Now negotiations further stall.

Then we consider that Sorny has also contracted said content for usage on TV. It has all the same issues only worse. Sorny isn't in control of when that content is shown. In each region it's up to these distributors / networks. Since TV is still the big game versus streaming, Sorny has to place precedence with them and therefore contracting streaming rights is further stalled until after the networks rights are over or they pass on the content.

Now think of movies. There is then multiple other layers of distribution and rights that have to be considered.

etc
etc
etc

Basically until there is a single company that can literally distribute globally, this mess is going to continue. And said company would have to actually offer reasonable valuations, otherwise Sorny will continue to go with separate distributors. For this single company to have that kind of money, they'd actually have to be well established in nearly all regions in order to have sufficient revenue.

It's really a clusterfuck

It appears that Netflix is doing a better job of distributing globally than Sony themselves or their WW partners. You either negotiate with the reality of a worldwide marketplace, or you sit back and pout that users are watching your content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom