• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pictures making "Console Wars" movie featuring Nintendo and Sega

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Lock if old.

Atlantic Books' publisher, Toby Mundy has acquired CONSOLE WARS by Blake Harris, a riveting behind-the-scenes business thriller that chronicles how Sega, a small, scrappy gaming company led by an unlikely visionary, took on the juggernaut Nintendo and revolutionized the video game industry. Atlantic will publish CONSOLE WARS: Sega, Nintendo and the Battle that Defined a Generation in August 2014.

Sony Pictures and Scott Rudin (Moneyball, The Social Network) are developing Console Wars as a feature film to be directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg (Knocked Up, Superbad). Rogen and Goldberg are also writing the screenplay. Harris is serving as Executive Producer, and is also co-directing a documentary on the same subject, with Rudin, Rogen and Goldberg producing as well.

http://www.booktrade.info/index.php/showarticle/52436

UPDATE: Seems Sony registered domains relating to this back in 2012, as this old GAF thread shows.
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488477

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Wow, I'm trying to think if it'll take place on early internet forums or not...

....wow

Apdiddy

Doesn't sound like this is going to be Hyperdimension Neptunia; The Movie.

Bummer.

Yes, but it's almost like an American take on Hyperdimension Neptunia but with Seth Rogan.

If they can get Jeremy Piven to play someone (I'm thinking Tom Kalinske), I might actually see this.

how Sega, a small, scrappy gaming company led by an unlikely visionary, took on the juggernaut Nintendo and revolutionized the video game industry.
LOL, what? That's some serious spin. What was revolutionary? Blood in Mortal Kombat? Blast Processing? I appreciate Sega's contributions, but there's some serious hyperbole going on here.

Alienous

Spoiler:

sonic_boom___render_by_themjdoctor-d75i79m.png

BY2K

Membero Americo
Sony making a movie about Sega, and they make it sound like Nintendo's the bad guy?

I... don't know what to think.

N.Domixis

Banned
After all the credits end, a lone ps1 in some unidentified location, turns on and becomes sentient... *Screen goes black*

This could be interesting but to be honest, how do you even do this? The majority of the big players back then were Japanese, you can't do this movie in English.

Makai

I'm calling it. There will be at least one scene with Seth Rogen playing Sonic the Hedgehog while high.

Can't believe the guy behind Moneyball and the Facebook flick is behind this and you all are calling it a racist comedy.

what am I even reading in this thread???

Goldberg/Rogen are branching out. They're also behind the Preacher adaptation for AMC. There's no guarantee this is going to be a comedy at all. Also, as pointed out by CosmicQueso, you've got Scott Rudin involved - I can't imagine he's going to throw weight behind the film if it's just going to be Grandma's Boy II

FiggyCal

Banned
I can't believe gaf sometimes. These are the guys that made Knocked UP, Superbad, This is The End, and Pineapple Express. Smh. These guys make good movies. In fact, these guys make awesome movies.

Can't believe the guy behind Moneyball and the Facebook flick is behind this and you all are calling it a racist comedy.

what am I even reading in this thread???

Because the directors do dude-bro comedies and Hollywood tends to make everybody white in these types of scenarios; for example, in 21 the real version had almost all the main characters Asian but in the movie they were almost all changed to be white.

Top Bottom