• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Boke1879

You're putting way too much stock in the Scorpio and seem to be forgetting the last four years of Sony holiday delays. I think it's pretty safe to say at this point that Sony aren't going to sacrifice the quality of their games just to compete in the most crowded season of the year, especially this year of all years and against a company they're beating 2:1. They have marketing deals with RDR2, Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 and CoD WWII, they don't need a ton of exclusives.

Seems like you're arguing with yourself with this sentence TBH. If Spider-Man has huge brand recognition, why would they care about releasing it off the back of the movie? The Arkham games certainly didn't need Batman movies to do well, Spider-Man won't either.

I think people are putting way too much stock in scorpio as well. I have no doubts it'll be a fantastic piece of hardware, but some seem to think it's going to explode at launch and start outselling the cheaper alternatives.

Dabi

it's hard to top 2016 though. It was better than 2015, and that year had hype levels through the roof with FF7:R, Shenmue 3, and TLG making returns. 2016 was just spectacular. It was basically movie trailers with a live orchestra and 90% of what was shown looked incredible!

I'm not really sleeping on Sony, but there simply has to be a relatively "dry" year, Sony's WWS aren't that big, there's but so many games we don't already know about. But, I am looking forward to Sony the most, Nintendo second, and Scorpio reveal.

The magic is in the second / third party partnerships

Boke1879

it's hard to top 2016 though. It was better than 2015, and that year had hype levels through the roof with FF7:R, Shenmue 3, and TLG making returns. 2016 was just spectacular. It was basically movie trailers with a live orchestra and 90% of what was shown looked incredible!

I'm not really sleeping on Sony, but there simply has to be a relatively "dry" year, Sony's WWS aren't that big, there's but so many games we don't already know about. But, I am looking forward to Sony the most, Nintendo second, and Scorpio reveal.

That doesn't mean they can't have a good E3. I think we'll get updated footage of Dreams, Detroit, maybe GOW. I'm expecting a RDR gameplay trailer, Spider-Man, Destiny, COD, battlefront. Update on FF7 remake and a few surprises. I'm expecting a solid conference.

Because just like last year Sony can focus on games. Trim the fat and have a show where wearing seeing nothing but trailers.

MCD250

I feel like in terms of presentation and content, Sony have been pretty on point with their conferences ever since Gamescom 2014 or so. I remember watching that conference and coming away pretty impressed at the way everything was showcased, and I know others shared that sentiment at the time. I have no idea if it happened deliberately or not, but I feel like at some point the American branch of SIE essentially started adopting the European conference's style for E3, and it's been all the better for it.

I mean, check out this review of GC 2014. It sounds rather familiar:

These platform-holder presentations usually have a few big hits, some filler, some upward pointing graphs and a load of blather about entertainment services, but it seemed to me that Sony’s had problems distilling PlayStation 4’s future enough to even fit it into the allotted time. The firm plastered three or four demos over the big screens before an exec even walked onto the stage. Why have a man talking when you can show people what focus means? SCEE head Jim Ryan kept it simple when he finally spoke, almost as if to say, “You didn’t come to see me, right?”
http://www.vg247.com/2014/08/13/playstation-wow-ps4-dominates-gamescom-2014/

Absolutely no chance of this being true. There is simply no way The Last of Us Part II is out before Fall 2018. Spring 2019 is more likely.

Waaaaaay too optimistic and unrealistic. Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit, and Days Gone all released by March 2018? Not going to happen.

Out of Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit and Days Gone, I could maybe see one of them possibly getting delayed, but other than that they have all had gameplay previews as of December 2016, and I get the impression they are not far off.

Days Gone was revealed at E3 2016. It also went into full production in Jan 2015. So if it were to release March/April 2018 it would have had a pretty decent development time. It may even come out sooner.

God of War was revealed at E3 2016. It has been in development since at least Dec 2014.

Detroit was revealed in Oct 2015, and has been in development since 2013.

Spider-Man was revealed at E3 2016. Marvel apparently approached Sony Interactive Entertainment back in 2014 to discuss them publishing a Spider-Man game, so presumably it could have started development anytime since then.

I am really not sure why people think it is so unrealistic to see these games sooner rather than later. If I were right about the dates, they will have all had at least a year between reveal and release.

Also, regarding The Last of Us Part 2. It has been in development since 2014. So I don't think a 2018 release is that crazy.

The God

Imo the only way 2016 can be topped is if there's a few big exclusive partnerships (like Spider-Man) we don't know about

Of course. I'm well aware of that. At the same time, if they can capitalize on it, they will, and coming out the year after a movie is not capitalizing on it as releasing it to coincide with a movie would.

Like Insomniac's Ratchet. Series did fine without ever having a movie, but when did the movie based on the game based on the movie came out? With the movie.

I don't know when the game is coming out, but people are dismissing 2017 too quickly, even after what Marvel/Insomniac have said (the former talking about 2017, the latter saying, "Who says this is coming out in 2018?").

Spider-Man isn't coming out this summer, so that theory's dead tbh. And honestly, gamers know games based off movies tend to be pretty shit. Do we know for sure that playing up SpideyPS4 beside Homecoming would be the best move to push units? Genuinely asking. Touting the game as its own thing, beholden to nothing but the Spidey universe at large, like the Arkham games would be my preferred move if I was the one marketing it.

FROM and Capcom coming through.

That doesn't mean they can't have a good E3. I think we'll get updated footage of Dreams, Detroit, maybe GOW. I'm expecting a RDR gameplay trailer, Spider-Man, Destiny, COD, battlefront. Update on FF7 remake and a few surprises. I'm expecting a solid conference.

Because just like last year Sony can focus on games. Trim the fat and have a show where wearing seeing nothing but trailers.
Yeah true...if they have gameplay of games already announced ready for E3, it'll be another great show. Just don't see anything topping 2016, it was pretty phenomenal. Looking forward to GOW, Days Gone and Spider-Man though, and maybe, just maybe Dreams campaign is nearly complete and the game is actually going to come out in my life time. Not complaining too much though, still got so much to play.

@From and Capcom: yeah that would be huge, but I'm doubtful they are ready. We'll see...

Where's Deep down cap? Lol

Lady Gaia

Absolutely no chance of this being true. There is simply no way The Last of Us Part II is out before Fall 2018. Spring 2019 is more likely.

TLoU part II was introduced at the PlayStation Experience event, not at E3. That venue has been friendlier to long-lead fan friendly fare so it's not that surprising that different timeframes might apply. I honestly have no idea what to expect from a release date for this one.

Waaaaaay too optimistic and unrealistic. Spider-Man, God of War, Detroit, and Days Gone all released by March 2018? Not going to happen.

I could see it. At the very least I think it's not unreasonable to guess that this was the plan, whether or not they're able to meet those lofty goals.

Spider-Man isn't coming out this summer, so that theory's dead tbh. And honestly, gamers know games based off movies tend to be pretty shit. Do we know for sure that playing up SpideyPS4 beside Homecoming would be the best move to push units? Genuinely asking. Touting the game as its own thing, beholden to nothing but the Spidey universe at large, like the Arkham games would be my preferred move if I was the one marketing it.

Eh? I said earlier that if it coincided with the movie, it would coincide with the home video release.

There's a reason games based off or at least related to movies release with movies, and there's a reason why the last Pokemon games did very well after the release of Pokemon GO. I don't know what else to tell you, but sales only, your way would not be preferred. They're not sitting in an executive suite going, "Nah, it'll sell the same/be all right regardless." There's no way they're not weighing releasing the game with the movie as a way to boost sales and ride the wave of the first MCU Spider-Man film.

Eh? I said earlier that if it coincided with the movie, it would coincide with the home video release.

As for Arkham, people quickly forget that the Arkham games There's a reason games based off or at least related to movies release with movies, and there's a reason why the last Pokemon games did very well after the release of Pokemon GO. I don't know what else to tell you, but sales only, your way would not be preferred. They're not sitting in an executive suite going, "Nah, it'll sell the same/be all right regardless." There's no way they're not weighing releasing the game with the movie as a way to boost sales and ride the wave of the first MCU Spider-Man film.

Nah, I understand all that. And I've been in the camp that the game is dropping this fall or winter, they've been working on it sooner than a lot of people realize.

I'm just saying, he's Spider-Man and the game is likely going to be very fucking good. That's gonna be enough. If they pair it with the movie, great, but they've been so adamant that this game has nothing to do with the film that I wouldn't be altogether surprised if they're not giving the idea that much thought. All depends when the home release of Homecoming is, but are home sales of movies really pushing the needle for anything these days? Again, genuinely asking.

Wozman23

As bogus as that list is, I'd sacrifice Sucker Punch to the multiplatform gods if it meant I could have an Insomniac developed Resistance 4.

zsynqx

Pretty sure TLOU2 is targeting late 2018/early 2019.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/5h30sh/according_to_gustavo_santaolalla_the_last_of_us_2/

No way it comes out as early as May next year

As bogus as that list is, I'd sacrifice Sucker Punch to the multiplatform gods if it meant I could have an Insomniac developed Resistance 4.

Story wrapped up pretty well, but I'd definitely be up for another Insomniac FPS. Resistance 3 is the best game they've ever made imo.

Nah, I understand all that. And I've been in the camp that the game is dropping this fall or winter, they've been working on it sooner than a lot of people realize.

I'm just saying, he's Spider-Man and the game is likely going to be very fucking good. That's gonna be enough. If they pair it with the movie, great, but they've been so adamant that this game has nothing to do with the film that I wouldn't be altogether surprised if they're not giving the idea that much thought. All depends when the home release of Homecoming is, but are home sales of movies really pushing the needle for anything these days? Again, genuinely asking.

Home video -- and that includes Blu-Ray, DVD, UHD, streaming services, digital downloads -- altogether are a big source of revenue, yes.

And as an aside, I'm surprised you didn't notice in the quote that I never finished my Arkham thought and stealth edited it out. xD~~

200w.gif

Home video -- and that includes Blu-Ray, DVD, UHD, streaming services, digital downloads -- altogether are a big source of revenue, yes.

And as an aside, I'm surprised you didn't notice in the quote that I never finished my Arkham thought and stealth edited it out. xD~~

Lmao holy shit, I totally missed that.

And good to know. I guess we'll see then.

Koopatrol

I had the same thought when looking at that list. Resistance 4 with R:FoM tier multiplayer would be fantastic.

I have a feeling Resistance will come back one day, and the R&C reboot gives me hope that Insomniac will be able to craft either a new quality Resistance or a more fully realized R:FoM remake.

Whoa! Whoa!

I absolutely adore the Resistance series, but how could anyone ever sacrifice Sucker Punch? No, get rid of Polyphony. I don't care for GT, even if it makes Sony its money.

Zukkoyaki

Insider Rumor: Someone said on Twitter that Sucker Punch will show a short teaser at E3
(Tidux).
Lol Tidux is the least credible insider that people still call an insider.

Dude said that Horizon, The Last Guardian and Thatgamecompany's new game would be shown at E3 2014 and that there would be multiple AAA first party announcements at the first PSX. And that's just off the top of my head. I legit can't think of a time he was right about something.

Tidux really going all in with that one. :p

Dude said that Horizon, The Last Guardian and Thatgamecompany's new game would be shown at E3 2014 and that there would be multiple AAA first party announcements at the first PSX.

Just called him "insider" because I've no idea how to call that rumor or whatever, I guess some people here know him, I surely don't. I only know he says things on internet that may or may not be true. Really, I've no idea.

Zukkoyaki

Just called him "insider" because I've no idea how to call that rumor or whatever, I guess some people here know him, I surely don't. I only know he says things on internet that may or may not be true. Really, I've no idea.
You're good! Just spreading the knowledge ^_^

vivekTO

Insider Rumor: Someone said on Twitter that Sucker Punch will show a short teaser at E3
(Tidux).

Well that sucks!! honestly i was hoping for a HZD type of reveal, where they atleast show a tidbit of gameplay as well, So Gameplay at PSX , hmm.

Dude said that Horizon, The Last Guardian and Thatgamecompany's new game would be shown at E3 2014 and that there would be multiple AAA first party announcements at the first PSX. And that's just off the top of my head. I legit can't think of a time he was right about something.

FYI, shinobi also said the same , that they have something ready for the 2014 but they didn't show at the last time.

Yeah, not blaming you or anything. I was just getting at Tidux.

jmaine_ph

Sony as market leader grows their software output with time. Some people think they don't have much to show cause the last years they were strong with announcements.

I'm actually one of those people from a first party stand point at least. I feel that if I come away from E3 and Sony "won" In my eyes then they had one of the best shows of all time.

VertPin

It's multi-platform but is also coming to PSVR.

C'mon man. You can't just say that. I feel like people recently have been claiming to be insiders with information but are flat out wrong. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but there really needs to be a site-wide standard of what you can say as "insider information". Some sort of validation should be required.

C'mon man. You can't just say that. I feel like people recently have been claiming to be insiders with information but are flat out wrong. If I'm wrong, I apologize, but there really needs to be a site-wide standard of what you can say as "insider information". Some sort of validation should be required.
Um, I don't think he was peddling "insider" information. It's already common knowledge that From's next game is both multiplatform and PSVR-compatible.

But way to overreact
lol.gif

Um, I don't think he was peddling "insider" information. It's already common knowledge that From's next game is both multiplatform and PSVR-compatible.

But way to overreact
lol.gif

From has three games in development, right? A non Soulsborne sequel, a new new game, an a new ARPG... or I dreamt that?

Tratorn

I'm actually one of those people from a first party stand point at least. I feel that if I come away from E3 and Sony "won" In my eyes then they had one of the best shows of all time.

Yep. It'll be pretty hard for Sony to "win" this year imho. Especially since they're the only one of the big three without a new platform.

Nintendo didn't develop games for WiiU since 2014 and only released some few games for it that were already in development. And their 3DS output in the last years doesn't/didn't need a lot of development resources as well.
They'll have a ton to show this year for 2017/2018.

MS only has Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves left, everything else (besides the obvious next Forza) is unknown.
And since Scorpio is coming, they probably want to reveal everything they can. They didn't announce many new projects in the last years after 2014, so if they're really behind Scorpio and want to bring back some momentum for XBox as a whole, they should/could have kept some major stuff for this E3.
If they just repeat what they did the last years though, the future of XBox won't look bright even with "the strongest console ever".

And Sony... They've a lot of already announced stuff but that doesn't make you the "winner" of E3. Sucker Punch will show something new and maybe Japan Studios. After that, they probably can only surprise with some major 3rd party exclusives.

Will be a really interesting E3 this year, since it has the potential that all 3 platform holders have strong presentations.

Edit: Uh, didn't realize I was posting this in the Sony 1st-party thread lol. Well, it was at least not fully off-topic since Sony's E3 and their studios was a big part.. :p

Lady Gaia

I'm just saying, he's Spider-Man and the game is likely going to be very fucking good. That's gonna be enough.

It's not enough for me, and probably not for the broader market, either. The breakthrough that made the Marvel cinematic universe work is realizing that the characters need lots of screen time to connect as human beings, not just walking special effects. If the game doesn't have a significant Peter Parker component then I don't think it'll be the standout success people are expecting. The open question there is what would Parker gameplay consist of? Dialogue trees? Detective mode at crime scenes? Getting great action photographs as an observer? They need to show me they've got a plan before I convert to True Believer.

Top Bottom