• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

Stealth50

I know this is mostly baseless but does anyone think it's possible Sony could land the game rights to James Bond, like they did with Spider-Man? There hasn't been any Bond game for a long time and as far as I've been able to find out it is currently unknown who owns the rights. They're currently in negotiations for the license for the next movie and an article on the subject from April had the following to say.
On Tuesday, for instance, leaders at Sony spent an hour making their case. Kazuo Hirai, the chief executive, helped give the pitch, which emphasized the studio’s deep knowledge of Bond and its ideas for expanding the franchise’s reach.
So what would be a better way to expand a franchise´s reach than to put one of the most prestigious game studios in the world, Naughty Dog, on the task of making an all but guaranteed blockbuster game in the franchise? I don't know but I do however wonder if Sony would really be willing to assign their most renowned studio to a licensed IP or if ND would even be willing to work on it.

To further discussion I'm also going to make a counter-point and point out that Warner Bros are also in negotiations for the movie rights and they could surely also offer a game deal. They also have a fairly good track record of utilizing movie franchises in their games with Batman, Injustice, Mad Max, Middle-Earth and plenty of LEGO movie tie-ins. WB also has the benefit of being able to publish on all available platforms.

Auctopus

I know this is mostly baseless but does anyone think it's possible Sony could land the game rights to James Bond, like they did with Spider-Man? There hasn't been any Bond game for a long time and as far as I've been able to find out it is currently unknown who owns the rights.

I feel like the IP you're making a game for needs to be reasonably relevant. Whilst there's been an argument that James Bond is timeless, recent films have created less and less mainstream appeal (especially in comparison to MCU entries).

I doubt they're interested, it certainly would feel a little left-field.

^ Are you the same dude who's always bringing up James Bond in this thread?

Pretty much, no one ever goes "cool idea".

I'd love an espionage style game from Naughty Dog but definitely not with the Bond licence (or any other licensed property).

If movie Bond got rebooted with a 60s or 70s setting then I'd like to see what WB could do with it.

I'm a big bond fan by the way.

Shin-Ra

Naughty Dog's a 'AAA+' IP-creating powerhouse. You don't waste any of that talent and share profits using somebody else's licensed property.

I wouldn't mind Kat in this costume:

maxresdefault.jpg

<3

Stealth50

^ Are you the same dude who's always bringing up James Bond in this thread?

Pretty much, no one ever goes "cool idea".
No, you must be thinking of someone else. I've never written the word Bond on this forum before. I would personally prefer if Naughty Dog did something original, preferably Sci-Fi. That doesn't mean one can't brainstorm other possibilities.

I can't see God of War and TLOU Part II being at the same conference. They're both heavy-hitter flagship titles that are big enough to headline individual E3 conferences. I'm thinking God of War closes this year with a gameplay demo a la Uncharted 4 in 2015, and then TLOU Part II closes next year with a gameplay demo a la TLOU in 2012.
I don't think TLOU II needs to be this year either. I think you probably go with GOW this year and TLOU SP reveal at PSX with another reveal at E3 next year and MP.

VertPin

Alright guys...I think...I think I am going to stay away from GAF, 4Chan, Reddit, and any game site or rumor blog until Sony's E3 conference is done starting tomorrow. I know today is officially one week away from the shows, but it is just EA on day one.

I just don't want to see any leaks.

MCD250

Like I said in the Heavy Rain sales thread, I hope the good sales on that game bode well for Detroit. I don't know how much Beyond might have sold, but it's a game that I enjoyed a fair bit (warts and all) so I hope Sony feels confident about Detroit in terms of financing, production, marketing, etc. I'm still really looking forward to it.

No, you must be thinking of someone else. I've never written the word Bond on this forum before. I would personally prefer if Naughty Dog did something original, preferably Sci-Fi. That doesn't mean one can't brainstorm other possibilities.

Cool.

A Naughty Dog Bond game has been brought up several times in this thread. I just assumed it was always by the same person.

Brainstorm away, I didn't mean to be a downer.

Cool.

A Naughty Dog Bond game has been brought up several times in this thread. I just assumed it was always by the same person.

Brainstorm away, I didn't mean to be a downer.

I've talked about a Bond game in the last 2-3 months, so maybe you're thinking of me? I think I said although Naughty Dog would make an amazing Bond game they should continue to work on their own stuff, and that I think Io would be a good fit for it. Funnily enough they've just become a bit more available...

If Sony gets the Bond distribution rights again I can see them getting the license for games too. It makes sense, and I'm pretty sure that's what they did when the renegotiated their license for Spider-Man.

RSchmitz

I think a Naughty Dog Bond game would be terrible, I like their ips and also want them to keep creating their own. And while I think Spider-Man looks great I am also not a fan of how many AAA Marvel games are coming. Original ideas will have an even harder time if publishers can just sign Marvel instead.

My first post here, wanted to post in this thread since I´ve been lurking for a long time.

Eggbok

I think a Naughty Dog Bond game would be terrible, I like their ips and also want them to keep creating their own. And while I think Spider-Man looks great I am also not a fan of how many AAA Marvel games are coming. Original ideas will have an even harder time if publishers can just sign Marvel instead.

My first post here, wanted to post in this thread since I´ve been lurking for a long time.

welcome to the madness!
dac74Al.gif

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Welcome!

But Marvel is projecting that they are interested in quality this time around. This is pretty much the dream though.

Properties that will boost sales irrespective of quality.
Publishers interested in quality and developer freedom.
Large budgets (Spider-Man is Insomniac's biggest budget game yet) which also have to be justified by doubling down on marketing.
Not tied to a movie and therefor a more free release schedule.

The only thing is that due to the license you lose a chunk of money to the license holder.
Creativity is hard to gauge because we're talking about super popular properties and you can create some very creative things in those frameworks if you're allowed to. (Russian Super-Man, Noir Spider-Man.)

To me developers should always be able to create games that they are as a collective excited about and Spider-Man seems to be interesting for a lot of different groups within a development studio (except maybe environmental artists that skew way more stylized).

If the story of how Horizon was chosen by GG is true then this is great. Insomniac may have been more forced for the survival of their large body of employees due to unfortunate fiscal results for their bigger games.

RSchmitz

welcome to the madness!
dac74Al.gif
Thanks
Welcome!

But Marvel is projecting that they are interested in quality this time around. This is pretty much the dream though.

Properties that will boost sales irrespective of quality.
Publishers interested in quality and developer freedom.
Large budgets (Spider-Man is Insomniac's biggest budget game yet) which also have to be justified by doubling down on marketing.
Not tied to a movie and therefor a more free release schedule.

The only thing is that due to the license you lose a chunk of money to the license holder.
Creativity is hard to gauge because we're talking about super popular properties and you can create some very creative things in those frameworks if you're allowed to. (Russian Super-Man, Noir Spider-Man.)

To me developers should always be able to create games that they are as a collective excited about and Spider-Man seems to be interesting for a lot of different groups within a development studio (except maybe environmental artists that skew way more stylized).

Thanks.

Don´t get me wrong I´m excited about Marvel games, well, at least Spider-Man since it´s the one we actually know what it´s gonna be like.

I also agree that devs should work on what they are axcited about. But when I think about the games I love and think a Metal Gear or Shadow of the Colossus could have never happened so a licensed ip could have a game I think that´s sad.

AAA new ip´s are so rare nowadays, hell, even new games are becoming rarer since gaas is a thing. If licensed games is to become the safe net I don´t see why a big publisher would bet on new ips. I know if I were to put my money on the line I´d go for a Marvel game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Thanks

Thanks.

Don´t get me wrong I´m excited about Marvel games, well, at least Spider-Man since it´s the one we actually know what it´s gonna be like.

I also agree that devs should work on what they are axcited about. But when I think about the games I love and think a Metal Gear or Shadow of the Colossus could have never happened so a licensed ip could have a game I think that´s sad.

AAA new ip´s are so rare nowadays, hell, even new games are becoming rarer since gaas is a thing. If licensed games is to become the safe net I don´t see why a big publisher would bet on new ips. I know if I were to put my money on the line I´d go for a Marvel game.

The bolded is your problem. Stop caring so much about what's "Triple A" and focus on ALL games! There's plenty of new IPs out here. Just expand what you play and you'll be happier.

benny_a

Depending by what you mean when you say new IP, I think it is overrated. To me it's more about the available breadth of game design.

It doesn't matter that much to me what flavor a new Asssasin's Creed Batman-combat collectathon game is. It mostly matters that it is.

For example: I like how Infamous 2 played a whole bunch. I think it's one of the best shooters of last generation due to the mobility and encounter freedom.

If they made a Infamous 2 clone / variant but with a Marvel superhero that fits that gameplay then I wouldn't care that it's not a new character.
But if they made a AC-Batman collectathon game but with a never before seen character I would not be that excited.
(I think those can be okay and have good ideas, it's just super over-saturated just like militry FPS was last gen.)

Welcome, Schmitz. Good time of year to join the forum!

Depends on what you consider AAA - do you count stuff like Nioh, Gravity Rush, Persona 5 or Yakuza as 'AAA'? There's also plenty of quality indie games (largely new IPs) that do a good job filling the void created by fewer AA games these days.

RSchmitz

The bolded is your problem. Stop caring so much about what's "Triple A" and focus on ALL games! There's plenty of new IPs out here. Just expand what you play and you'll be happier.
Sure, the few AA left and indie still make some pretty interesting things. But come on, just stop caring like that is not how it works. I think it´s very exciting discovering hole new very well crafted, beautiful worlds like Horizon or Bloodborne to name some of the late ones I loved.

Depending by what you mean when you say new IP, I think it is overrated. To me it's more about the available breadth of game design.

It doesn't matter that much to me what flavor a new Asssasin's Creed Batman-combat collectathon game is. It mostly matters that it is.

For example: I like how Infamous 2 played a whole bunch. I think it's one of the best shooters of last generation due to the mobility and encounter freedom.

If they made a Infamous 2 clone / variant but with a Marvel superhero that fits that gameplay then I wouldn't care that it's not a new character.
But if they made a AC-Batman collectathon game but with a never before seen character I would not be that excited.
(I think those can be okay and have good ideas, it's just super over-saturated just like militry FPS was last gen.)
I don´t think it´s overrated. To give an example, this is a very uncommon opinion but my favorite Uncharted is the first one. And that´s because of everything new and the relationships. Hell, the whole game I thought Sully was gonna betray me. I think if it was just an Indiana Jones game at least half the magic would be gone for me.

Welcome, Schmitz. Good time of year to join the forum!

Depends on what you consider AAA - do you count stuff like Nioh, Gravity Rush, Persona 5 or Yakuza as 'AAA'? There's also plenty of quality indie games (largely new IPs) that do a good job filling the void created by fewer AA games these days.
Thanks.
I think those are more AA right? Love them, played them all except for P5 yet. Played every localized Yakuza too, except Dead Souls.

I´m also looking forward to what Toyama does next. Hopefully not horror heh.

Thanks
ld have never happened so a licensed ip could have a game I think that´s sad.

They're not that rare I'd say, especially from Sony (or for Sony). If you look at this gen, The Order, Knack, Driveclub, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Nioh, The Last Guardian, Dreams, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit Become Human, Days Gone and Death Stranding are all new IP, and that's without the VR titles. Sucker Punch is working on a new IP as well apparently.

RSchmitz

They're not that rare I'd say, especially from Sony (or for Sony). If you look at this gen, The Order, Knack, Driveclub, Until Dawn, Bloodborne, Nioh, The Last Guardian, Dreams, Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit Become Human, Days Gone and Death Stranding are all new IP, and that's without the VR titles. Sucker Punch is working on a new IP as well apparently.

Yes, I think Sony does it well.
But I hope it doesn´t go further. I think Sucker Punch could make a fantastic Iron Man game too, but I hope they dont and do something totally new. Having Spider-Man I think is enough.

I also want more Ratchet.

There are, what, two that we know of for sure, with another rumored? Lol

Welcome!

RSchmitz

There are, what, two that we know of for sure, with another rumored? Lol

Welcome!

I think targeting only Marvel was poor from me. I meant licensed stuff too as James Bond was also mentioned. I think it feels like a lot to me because they´re closer to studios I liked.
But there´s a lot more licensing stuff happening isn´t there?
There´s Avatar from Ubisoft, there´s a rumour about a big Harry Potter game.
Weirdly Star Wars feels fine to me.
Maybe it will feel more natural to in some years.

Thanks.

Lady Gaia

That's far from the only downside and it's probably not even the worst problem. Working with a license means you have to negotiate and get approval for every single use of anything connected. Want to use the license in advertising? In a theme? That costs you time and energy, not just money. Every plot decision you make, every line of dialogue, every visual change needs to be approved. People working on licensed games lose interest because they don't have nearly enough creative control and everything moves at a snail's pace unless you have a remarkably engaged, invested, and empowered contact.

Then there's the ultimate problem: let's say you're wildly successful. All that increased awareness and perception of quality is attached to something you don't own and will have to negotiate for again in the future, only now it's worth more. That's why companies like to invest money in an IP they own. If it's a hit, they can reap the rewards.

benny_a

That's far from the only downside and it's probably not even the worst problem. Working with a license means you have to negotiate and get approval for every single use of anything connected. Want to use the license in advertising? In a theme? That costs you time and energy, not just money. Every plot decision you make, every line of dialogue, every visual change needs to be approved. People working on licensed games lose interest because they don't have nearly enough creative control and everything moves at a snail's pace unless you have a remarkably engaged, invested, and empowered contact.

Then there's the ultimate problem: let's say you're wildly successful. All that increased awareness and perception of quality is attached to something you don't own and will have to negotiate for again in the future, only now it's worth more. That's why companies like to invest money in an IP they own. If it's a hit, they can reap the rewards.
The premise of all this is not license in general. The premise is that Marvel is creatively hands-off this time.

Admittedly I'm taking the word of Capcom and Marvel here that Marvel is very hands-off now based on the PSX interviews.

But sure, if you don't own the IP and it's a big success you're not the primary beneficiary. That's a large negative.

considering how shit Mass effect andromeda is; if ND comes in with a stellar looking teaser for savage starlight. you can only imagine!

They're probably focused on the TLOU2 + the uncharted 4 side game but who knows. We might be surprised at E3

Top Bottom