• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

I've said in other threads that I think they should 'Assassin's Creed' God of War and create a new character that shares design similarities with Kratos so is still recognisable but is a blank canvas narratively. It didn't really go down well.

I understand commercially why Sony would want to stick with Kratos, but I can't believe fans want more of him. He's an awful character IMO - and shoe-horning him into another mythology would be a mistake.

I'm a fan.

I want more of him.

SO IT IS WRITTEN!!

I feel they should remove the fixed camera. While it may sacrifice some of the cinematic elements of the series, it should help improve the game in a number of other ways. Other than that, I agree with most of yout points.

Personally i prefer the fixed camera for this game

I just want a drastic change of setting, Kratos can stay.

What IF they put two protagonists in the game, kinda like in dmc4 (but without the horrible backtracking)? Where kratos fight the biggest enemies while the new protagonist is oriented on more tecnical combat and fight the smaller/humanoid enemies? In that way they can keep fresh the game and introduce the new protagonist and mithology for a new gow series...

I understand commercially why Sony would want to stick with Kratos, but I can't believe fans want more of him. He's an awful character IMO - and shoe-horning him into another mythology would be a mistake.

I'm a big fan, and i want more of him, absolutely. They just need to improve the narration in the game... he had his vengeance, now he need to save humanity and become a true hero. Show the more human part of kratos, and for real this time.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

BadWolf

Japan Studios is tied up with Gravity Rush 2 + The Last Guardian, I think it's unlikely we'd see three internal projects from them announced in one year

gen design is pretty much what team ico was so it kinda counts :p or i assume they are

regarding level 5's ps4 title

Q: What ever happened to the “major title that will surpass White Knight Chornicles”?

A: We’re properly working on it. I believe that we’ll make an announcement when the time comes.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/0...-on-future-possibilities/#VeIG0qqWphxAuhGE.99

I think its my reading comprehension but i dont understand if he wants to go indie, more big budget games or both >.>

he said " indie game taste ". not actually going indie but making games more like what you see on the indie front, which is a very wide statement. I think he means he just wants to be able to make games that are unique and original and outside of what he has been stuck doing for ages now.

Japan Studios is tied up with Gravity Rush 2 + The Last Guardian, I think it's unlikely we'd see three internal projects from them announced in one year

gen design is pretty much what team ico was so it kinda counts :p or i assume they are

regarding level 5's ps4 title

Q: What ever happened to the “major title that will surpass White Knight Chornicles”?

A: We’re properly working on it. I believe that we’ll make an announcement when the time comes.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/0...-on-future-possibilities/#VeIG0qqWphxAuhGE.99
Studio Japan has over 400 people. Even with helping other teams, they have room for a big AAA game there. Verendus, still waiting for the jRPG from Studio Japan to be unveiled. -_-

It isn't.

Sony's internal rpg and Level 5's game are separate.

Level 5's definitely making one but as far as I'm aware we don't know who's developing the other.

As for the Kratos vs !Kratos discussion, I'll go with whatever Barlog and team decides. I have faith they'll deliver.

Just an ad found on Gamasutra for Bend's recruitment =)

HlwWRbt.jpg

DigSCCP

God I'd be so disappointed if the next GoW was another Kratos game.

God I'd be so disappointed if the next GoW wasnt another Kratos game lol
There is no reason to keep GoW if it isnt with Kratos, they can keep the "soul" of the game but if it isnt with Kratos I would rather a new IP, a spiritual sequence but if its another GoW just gimme more Kratos!

Melchiah

God I'd be so disappointed if the next GoW wasnt another Kratos game lol
There is no reason to keep GoW if it isnt with Kratos, they can keep the "soul" of the game but if it isnt with Kratos I would rather a new IP, a spiritual sequence but if its another GoW just gimme more Kratos!

Agreed, and the same goes for him being an anti-hero. The game wouldn't be the same if he was a do-gooder like the majority of game characters. If you want those to be changed, you want something else than GOW.

Zukkoyaki

To chime in on the God of War debate, I will be behind whatever direction they choose to take the series. Barlog being at the helm brings me a great deal of comfort.

With that being said, if I had my choice I would want an Egyptian reboot. I've studied it a good bit and Egyptian mythology is badass and ripe with material for an awesome video game. Can you imagine playing as an Anubis-like character?!?

cornerman

I am a fan of God of War...and that's why I think Kratos needs to end. Kratos was a war-obsessed Spartan who desire to win at battle at any cost, led to him killing his family. He was a tortured soul looking for peace from the Gods, but coming up empty. His revenge is predicated on that. Kratos has exacted his revenge. He's killed any and all Greek Gods of note. You can find obscure creatures in Greek mythology, sure. You can make up your own creatures, sure. That's what Ascension did...and its one of the reasons why Ascension didn't strike an accord like previous entries. Kratos' arc is done. Sure I thought they could have humanized his character more (something they kind of lost sight of in installments after GoW1), but changing mythologies, or finding some new villain is a bad idea in my mind. Its the equivalent of Hollywood execs dragging a tv series for an extra season or 2 because its popular. You lose the integrity of narrative. You lose the integrity of the character. Kratos was designed for Greek mythology. His motivations were designed for Greek mythology. It doesn't make sense for him to be trouncing around in Egypt or Norse mythology.

Reboot/remake the series. Do the Egyptian/Norse mythology, but with a new 'rage' character. Take Heaven Sword, let SSM give it the God of War treatment (in place of Ninja Theory's efforts), but let Kratos rest. He's had over half a dozen games. The writings on the wall, the media isn't going to be kind to another Kratos GoW.

I think the Heavenly Sword IP would be good because, you keep the chained blades and sword. It allows them to have a drastic change in scenery and mythos. You get all new characters, and you aren't limited to what's found in Greek mythology; you can create as many new enemies, villains, as you want. It allows them to change up the fighting style from more of a barbaric style to one of martial arts. It allows for new platforming and puzzle mechanics. That's enough new features that it will feel fresh. With a new IP, expectations will change, even though they can have a lot of the same base mechanics.

Melchiah

To chime in on the God of War debate, I will be behind whatever direction they choose to take the series. Barlog being at the helm brings me a great deal of comfort.

With that being said, if I had my choice I would want an Egyptian reboot. I've studied it a good bit and Egyptian mythology is badass and ripe with material for an awesome video game. Can you imagine playing as an Anubis-like character?!?

Reboot/remake the series. Do the Egyptian/Norse mythology, but with a new 'rage' character.

I'd prefer Sumerian mythology myself, if I had to choose something other than Greek.

I'll take whatever they offer though, I just hope they'll stick with an anti-hero, whether it's Kratos or not.

I am a fan of God of War...and that's why I think Kratos needs to end. Kratos was a war-obsessed Spartan who desire to win at battle at any cost, led to him killing his family. He was a tortured soul looking for peace from the Gods, but coming up empty. His revenge is predicated on that. Kratos has exacted his revenge. He's killed any and all Greek Gods of note. You can find obscure creatures in Greek mythology, sure. You can make up your own creatures, sure. That's what Ascension did...and its one of the reasons why Ascension didn't strike an accord like previous entries. Kratos' arc is done. Sure I thought they could have humanized his character more (something they kind of lost sight of in installments after GoW1), but changing mythologies, or finding some new villain is a bad idea in my mind. Its the equivalent of Hollywood execs dragging a tv series for an extra season or 2 because its popular. You lose the integrity of narrative. You lose the integrity of the character. Kratos was designed for Greek mythology. His motivations were designed for Greek mythology. It doesn't make sense for him to be trouncing around in Egypt or Norse mythology.

Reboot/remake the series. Do the Egyptian/Norse mythology, but with a new 'rage' character. Take Heaven Sword, let SSM give it the God of War treatment (in place of Ninja Theory's efforts), but let Kratos rest. He's had over half a dozen games. The writings on the wall, the media isn't going to be kind to another Kratos GoW.

I think the Heavenly Sword IP would be good because, you keep the chained blades and sword. It allows them to have a drastic change in scenery and mythos. You get all new characters, and you aren't limited to what's found in Greek mythology; you can create as many new enemies, villains, as you want. It allows them to change up the fighting style from more of a barbaric style to one of martial arts. It allows for new platforming and puzzle mechanics. That's enough new features that it will feel fresh. With a new IP, expectations will change, even though they can have a lot of the same base mechanics.

There's the key element. Kratos' story is told. I agree with u, one issue I've always had is the series isn't named Kratos so why does he or any protagonist, HAVE to be in the sequel? An individual's story will run its course, but that doesn't mean you can't tell more stories in that universe. I think halo 4 suffered because nothing MC will do can outdo what he has done. His story reached its pinnacle because it was written for a 3 parts . Kratos as well, but that doesn't mean there aren't other stories to be told. That's what I liked that about Infamous: Second Son. Yes the story is trash, but it was a game set in the same universe with a new protagonist with a new story.

Be brave SSM, end Kratos as the protagonist but keep the series alive

hawk2025

This is not gonna happen, I don't think.

NMS probably has a locked-in retail release at this point and a full marketing lead-up, I would guess.

Chobel

Verendus said Level 5 is making 2 jRPGs for the PS4 and Sony Japan is making its own jRPG on a very large scale. It reads like a dream for jRPG fans with DQXI, DQH 1/2, FF7 being announced all recently.

No, Verendus said Level 5 is making two PS4 exclusives, and Sony Japan is making two JRPGs (actually it's three, but the 3rd one is still in very early development) however he never said Sony Japan is making these JRPGs internally.

Top Bottom