• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Playstation: First Party Studios & their Current Projects

yurinka

Does anybody expect God of War gameplay? Cory gives the impression on Twitter it's still early days.

Interested in the Bend game.
I assume GoW, Bend and the next Sucker Punch are going to be 2017 games, so I'd bet they'll wait to announce them for E3. 2016 already has a lot of announced exclusive PS4 stuff.

I would bet that if announce some of these 3 games at PSX they would show only a small teaser, and then a full reveal at E3. If they show gameplay at PSX it would be of an already announced 2016 game, and they have a lot of them to choose from: GT Sports, Rime or Detroit, a different U4/TLG/Horizon/Dreams/etc gameplay clip.

Regarding PSX, I'd focus to announce more specific dates and show gameplay of 2016 games, to highlight great small games that are coming, to make one or two big AAA announcements (even if it's just with a teaser) and to bring back a couple of small, niche PS IPs but beloved by the fans.

Something like a Vib-Ribbon made by Quasy Games, a new Parappa with Media Molecule or Harmonix + Masaya Matsuura (or similar), or a new Wipeout with VR support. Add the final release date, price and launch games list of PSVR and a few remastered/localized games to #buildTheList.

A lot of people would be really happy.

Once again, the Age of One coming through.
We all know the One is Knack. Second coming of Knack confirmed.

Well, I never used to and preferred calling them Action Adventure titles, but GAF taught me they were two years ago. I also think it makes sense really after having finally played one. They're definitely RPGs, and they're made in Japan so I don't see the issue personally.

So the next From game to be published by Sony is going to be Knack 2. Counts as AAAA for a conference. The 1st one outsold Mario in Japan, the 2nd one would make MS sell the Xbox division, Nintendo leaves consoles and the smartphone gaming bubble explodes. Kids scream in the street, old woman cry.

Well, I never used to and preferred calling them Action Adventure titles, but GAF taught me they were two years ago. I also think it makes sense really after having finally played one. They're definitely RPGs, and they're made in Japan so I don't see the issue personally.

They are definitely RPGs, and certainly made in Japan, but I wouldn't call them jRPGs. The J usually stands for specificities on the RPG genre that have become staples of the RPGs made in Japan. But it doesn't mean that every RPG made in Japan is a jRPG. I mean, people called Child of Light, a French game, a jRPG, and that's due to its mechanics. We also can't generalize and call cRPGs wRPGs just because most of them are made in the West. We expect different things from those kinds of games.
Bloodborne is an Action RPG through and through. You have strong role playing elements - like customization, modulated quests, huge plethora of play styles, great level of freedom, etc -, but the game is pretty much skill based, and combat is the center of its gameplay at all times.

Mind your I'm not bashing you on calling those games jRPGs, I just want to show that there might be ways to differentiate some games a bit more if we ignore the dumb naming of jRPGs.

I'm just dying to see L5's project, hope we won't have too much longer...

If they can combine the gameplay (specifically the combat) of Dark Chronicle with the presentation and overall design of Ni No Kuni then it will be goddamn glorious. A lot of 'ifs' though. I like a lot of their stuff, but they're a very inconsistent studio.

Philippo

If they can combine the gameplay (specifically the combat) of Dark Chronicle with the presentation and overall design of Ni No Kuni then it will be goddamn glorious. A lot of 'ifs' though. I like a lot of their stuff, but they're a very inconsistent studio.

Idk i'm torn about wanting another NnK-style game from them, or trying once more to go big a la Rogue Galaxy/WKC, but i'll be satisfied with both.

And yes, they are very inconsistent, i really like the characters, the basic plots, and the art direction of most of their games, but they all lack in strong gameplay and writing.

Idk i'm torn about wanting another NnK-style game from them, or trying once more to go big a la Rogue Galaxy/WKC, but i'll be satisfied with both.

whynotboth.gif

e688126db594dfd1972436e9b101ddcc.jpg

Mar Nosso

Banned
A sci-fi JRPG done by From Software? There aren't enough raging hard ons in the world to accurately represent how exciting that could be! If it includes mechs, the end might just be nigh!

Detroit is early 2017 at best imo

I don't know, if it was originally planned to have a one-hour behind-closed-doors presentation to the press, that kinda implies that the game is at a stage where they're comfortable to at least show gameplay to the press?

My personal tales-from-my-arse is that it's targeting Fall 2016 (exactly 3 years from Beyond), but either to buffer for a potential delay or to potentially avoid an overly crowded fall depending on how other first-party studios fare in terms of getting their games done by 2016, it's "TBA" for now.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Cory should work on his blogs again. He would keep everyone up to date with production when he was working on GoW2, and they made for great readings.

Consider me shocked if SE manages to show something concrete on FF7 at PSX.

I'm most excited about PS1/2 classics (fourth time's the charm!), Uncharted 4. I doubt we will see more of Gravity Rush 2 this year. Horizon they already confirmed to get more info next year.

For new game announcements I'd be most intrigued by Level 5 (but who knows when that is going to be shown) and Bend. I'm not a big God of War fan but it would be interesting to see how they continue the franchise.

One left field announcement would be Resident Evil 7. I feel like that could be announced at any moment now but it might not be at any event. Might also be prostponed due to Panty Raid shenanigans.

Cory should work on his blogs again. He would keep everyone up to date with production when he was working on GoW2, and they made for great readings.

He can't exactly do that for an unannounced game, no?

Besides, his seat is probably under some hot PR fire for accidentally blurting out that he's working on a new GoW.

Corpsepyre

Banned
He can't exactly do that for an unannounced game, no?

Besides, his seat is probably under some hot PR fire for accidentally blurting out that he's working on a new GoW.

He did so during GoW2. Would just say 'the game' instead of the title. But then again, I don't know if people expected a second GoW at the time, or did they?

Funny bit is, SSM's Twitter account posted about them working on a new GoW when Cory blurted it out at PSX. Probably thought they were good to go announcing the title since the creative director mentioned it.

Verendus

Banned
They are definitely RPGs, and certainly made in Japan, but I wouldn't call them jRPGs. The J usually stands for specificities on the RPG genre that have become staples of the RPGs made in Japan. But it doesn't mean that every RPG made in Japan is a jRPG. I mean, people called Child of Light, a French game, a jRPG, and that's due to its mechanics. We also can't generalize and call cRPGs wRPGs just because most of them are made in the West. We expect different things from those kinds of games.
Bloodborne is an Action RPG through and through. You have strong role playing elements - like customization, modulated quests, huge plethora of play styles, great level of freedom, etc -, but the game is pretty much skill based, and combat is the center of its gameplay at all times.

Mind your I'm not bashing you on calling those games jRPGs, I just want to show that there might be ways to differentiate some games a bit more if we ignore the dumb naming of jRPGs.
Do you mind elaborating a little more on what you mean? And would that somehow exclude titles like Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story? I remember those being pretty combat focused (more so Vagrant Story since that's what I remember doing mostly), and PE was also survival horror. It has been over fifteen years since I played them, so maybe it's me who's faulty in the head, but I recall them being quite distinct. If you exclude action RPGs, wouldn't you have to exclude stuff like Kingdom Hearts, FFXV, FF7 Remake (lol), the Platinum SE game? I know I'm being a little silly there since I think I kind of have an idea of what you might mean by accepted staples of the genre (exploration and a hero's journey kind of thing possibly?), but at the same time, I like the idea of a genre continuing to evolve and adapt.

BumRush

Thanks for the info Verendus. Any unannounced (to the public) game that you personally are psyched out of your mind for?

Do you mind elaborating a little more on what you mean? And would that somehow exclude titles like Parasite Eve and Vagrant Story? I remember those being pretty combat focused (more so Vagrant Story since that's what I remember doing mostly), and PE was also survival horror. It has been over fifteen years since I played them, so maybe it's me who's faulty in the head, but I recall them being quite distinct. If you exclude action RPGs, wouldn't you have to exclude stuff like Kingdom Hearts, FFXV, FF7 Remake (lol), the Platinum SE game? I know I'm being a little silly there since I think I kind of have an idea of what you might mean by accepted staples of the genre (exploration and a hero's journey kind of thing possibly?), but at the same time, I like the idea of a genre continuing to evolve and adapt.

* sobs *

viHuGi

Banned
Yup. Shu bringing up their project out of nowhere at E3 means they gotta be working on something pretty cool.

So now there's that, SSM, Bend, and more FromSoft goodness to look forward to. The future looks so good.

I´m confident Evolution Studios are working on another game, it will take time, also lets hope RaD is working on Order sequel, series have potential.

Looking forward to PSX, but I'm kinda off the hype train now and just ready to play some amazing games. Will be catching up with MGSV and TW3 this month, and playing some older stuff like DMC4 remake, PSN Indy titles, and then Uncharted. I think it's going to take something really special to get me off of SFV as well, only willing to take a break for smaller games like Gravity Rush and Tearaway.

FF7 is all I'm waiting for now, well, I guess Dragon Quest 11 as well. Any conference with those games in it pretty much steals the show for me. Interesting in getting another infamous though, I thought that was the best early game of the gen.

BumRush

I´m confident Evolution Studios are working on another game, it will take time, also lets hope RaD is working on Order sequel, series have potential.

I thought it was confirmed that Rad is focused entirely on a VR game for Oculus but I'd have no idea where to find that information.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Sony would just outsource development of a Legend of Dragoon remake or sequel to a smaller studio. That game and several other IPs. They don't have to be AAA. Indie developers would do well with some PS1 IPs, I think.

Yeah I've about had my fill of announcing new projects. I'd rather see new footage of what we currently know. Give showcases and screen time to everything that has been announced throughout the year, which is a massive list.

New Games Announced this year:

Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian PS4 ( with footage! )
Final Fantasy VII-Remake
Shenmue 3
Nier 2
Dreams
Hitman
Firewatch
World of Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Gravity Rush 2
Gravity Rush Remaster PS4
Yakuza 6
Yakuza 1 Remake
King of Fighters 14
Tekken 7
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Danganronpa 3
Star Ocean 5
NiOh
Detroit: Become Human
Boundless
Matterfall
Vector
Gran Turismo Sport

And of course all the other 3rd party titles announced over the year like Unravel and such like that.

Thats a ton of brand new games we didn't know about coming into 2015. And most of which we have seen nothing of. Hell we have barely seen much of big stuff like The Witness or Persona 5, DQXI, Star Ocean 5, etc. So really they could load of PSX with just gameplay footage of these above announced projects and have a brilliant show. Imagine is PSX had footage of Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII-R, Dragon Quest XI, Matterfall, Rime, The Witness, NiOh, Nier 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Dreams, etc? Would be awesome.

Saying that, I would be ok with Level 5's JRPG being announced at PSX lol.

KAL2006

Banned
Now that Paris Games Show is out the way the games I am expecting at PSX to get announced

PS1 and PS2 Classics Support
God of War 4 Revealed
New Parappa The Rapper Revealed
Bend Horror IP Revealed
Level 5 JRPG
Exclusive Sega game
Some more Indie games
And localisation announcements

BumRush

FromSoft is making a JRPG? Oh no. I don't like JRPGs. I was hoping for something along the lines of Souls or Bloodborne.

JRPG aesthetic turns me off.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but I don't think Verendus necessarily means FF, DQ, etc. as the only games that constitute JRPGs

Verendus

Banned
Thanks for the info Verendus. Any unannounced (to the public) game that you personally are psyched out of your mind for?
Brand new multiplatform AAA IP which is an action adventure title with a weird fantasy mash-up in terms of aesthetic. Has been MIA for over a year now so not exactly sure what's going on with it, but it's what I'm waiting for. That's pretty much the only one I'm psyched out of my mind for since it's really big and different. I guess there's FFXVI too, but my excitement for that depends on whether I actually like XV. It's been a pretty disappointing fifteen years. It's like America said. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me thrice, and I can't get fooled again.

There are a lot of games I end up enjoying really, but there are very few I get really excited about for whatever reason. You could count them on one hand most of the time. But I've been at that stage where I just want to play something that really grabs me for about two years now, which is why I'm so excited right now since UC4 is around the corner. I need something to wash away the severe disappointment of MGSV, and ND has been pretty damn consistent for me since UC2.

Godzilla bless Nathaniel Drake.

BumRush

Brand new multiplatform AAA IP which is an action adventure title with a weird fantasy mash-up in terms of aesthetic. Has been MIA for over a year now so not exactly sure what's going on with it, but it's what I'm waiting for. That's pretty much the only one I'm psyched out of my mind for since it's really big and different. I guess there's FFXVI too, but my excitement for that depends on whether I actually like XV. It's been a pretty disappointing fifteen years. It's like America said. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me thrice, and I can't get fooled again.

There are a lot of games I end up enjoying really, but there are very few I get really excited about for whatever reason. You could count them on one hand most of the time. But I've been at that stage where I just want to play something that really grabs me for about two years now, which is why I'm so excited right now since UC4 is around the corner. I need something to wash away the severe disappointment of MGSV, and ND has been pretty damn consistent for me since UC2.

Godzilla bless Nathaniel Drake.

Thanks for the response.

Have you actually seen anything on FFXVI yet? I know you can't give more detail than that.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but I don't think Verendus necessarily means FF, DQ, etc. as the only games that constitute JRPGs

Alright then. I hate the term JRPG. I get seizures whenever someone calls SoulsBorne games and Dragon's Dogma "JRPGs"

AntMurda

I'm always more curious about what SCE first-party games are coming out of contract studios (Sanzaru, Arrowhead, Quantic Dreams, Sumo Digital, Insomniac). Each year over 50% of their releases come from those studios.

I'm still hoping SCE does some more projects with Sumo Digital, Sanzaru, Arrowhead Games, Idol Minds, etc. They actually announced a lot of those first-party titles at the Paris Expo.

Some Nobody

Yeah I've about had my fill of announcing new projects. I'd rather see new footage of what we currently know. Give showcases and screen time to everything that has been announced throughout the year, which is a massive list.

New Games Announced this year:

Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian PS4 ( with footage! )
Final Fantasy VII-Remake
Shenmue 3
Nier 2
Dreams
Hitman
Firewatch
World of Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest XI
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes 2
Gravity Rush 2
Gravity Rush Remaster PS4
Yakuza 6
Yakuza 1 Remake
King of Fighters 14
Tekken 7
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Danganronpa 3
Star Ocean 5
NiOh
Detroit: Become Human
Boundless
Matterfall
Vector
Gran Turismo Sport

And of course all the other 3rd party titles announced over the year like Unravel and such like that.

Thats a ton of brand new games we didn't know about coming into 2015. And most of which we have seen nothing of. Hell we have barely seen much of big stuff like The Witness or Persona 5, DQXI, Star Ocean 5, etc. So really they could load of PSX with just gameplay footage of these above announced projects and have a brilliant show. Imagine is PSX had footage of Shenmue 3, The Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII-R, Dragon Quest XI, Matterfall, Rime, The Witness, NiOh, Nier 2, Gran Turismo Sport, Dreams, etc? Would be awesome.

Saying that, I would be ok with Level 5's JRPG being announced at PSX lol.

I can't get hyped for Yakuza until localization seems like a believable possibility. But yeah that's a great list, even w/o the other stuff that's due out.

It's gotta be new stuff there too, though. Sucker Punch, Bend, and SSM, but I'd trade one of them for Level 5 lol. Also, is anyone else under the assumption that GOW is going to be a bit...different when it finally makes its reappearance? I'm not sure what, but I feel like 4's taking a while (we assume 2017) for it to be just "3 but prettier".

@Verendus

Do you know something about GT Sport? The announcement seemed really odd. Nearly no gameplay at all, just talk about FIA and nobody knows what we can expect. Will it be something like a Prologue? Will it be the GT Academy 2.0? Gran Turismo as a Service? Will we get anything at PSX regarding GT Sport?

RPGamer92

Banned
Now that Paris Games Show is out the way the games I am expecting at PSX to get announced

PS1 and PS2 Classics Support
God of War 4 Revealed
New Parappa The Rapper Revealed
Bend Horror IP Revealed
Level 5 JRPG
Exclusive Sega game
Some more Indie games
And localisation announcements
Wasn't the exclusive Sega game Yakuza 6?

VertPin

Next FS exclusive for PS4 currently in development is a Sony published first party title, like Bloodborne, and is a JRPG. There is another project in development in a similar context which is also a JRPG, and is going to be a Sony published title aka first party. Beyond that, I don't want to delve into anything but it honestly only takes a little common sense to realise that Shu isn't going to tell you what anyone's up to because you happen to ask him a question. Nothing exists until it's officially time for it to exist.

It's a 2D shooting game if I recall correctly. Not much to explain really.

There is no doubt, Bloodborne 2 it is. The first game was too much of a success and I'm sure Sony wants to maintain the IP as one of their most excellent ones with another new installment! :)

Bloodborne is my favorite game of all time, I can't freaking wait.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
FromSoft is making a JRPG? Oh no. I don't like JRPGs. I was hoping for something along the lines of Souls or Bloodborne.

JRPG aesthetic turns me off.

This is what i hate. People cry about "JRPG's need to evolve" yet freak out when people even insinuate there can be many different kinds just based on the fact that Japanese RPG's exist together.

Frankly put, your part of the reason the genre is put into such a small box.

Alright then. I hate the term JRPG. I get seizures whenever someone calls SoulsBorne games and Dragon's Dogma "JRPGs"

SMH. So WRPGs can consist of everything from Baldur's Gate to Witcher to Fallout to Mass Effect but the idea that Dragon's Dogma or Demon's Souls are JRPGs is horrible because JRPGs are strictly turn based animu games, right?

Though I guess I'll give you credit for not pulling out the old "Souls games are WRPGs for... reasons" argument. That one's great, conveniently ignoring that From have been making these kind of games for decades and that you'd have to go back decades to find any WRPG that comes close to them.

Rajang

Next FS exclusive for PS4 currently in development is a Sony published first party title, like Bloodborne, and is a JRPG. There is another project in development in a similar context which is also a JRPG, and is going to be a Sony published title aka first party. Beyond that, I don't want to delve into anything but it honestly only takes a little common sense to realise that Shu isn't going to tell you what anyone's up to because you happen to ask him a question. Nothing exists until it's officially time for it to exist.

yTG0R.gif

slapnuts

This Thread's purpose is to have an overview of Sony's First Party Studios and their projects. Not only the projects but also staff situations/layoffs can be discussed her3

bu bu bu PS4 has no games lol.

for real though - Sony has a boat load of bad ass games coming soon on PS4. So glad i went with PS4 this gen along with my gaming PC...the perfect match.

Top Bottom