• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Possibly Revealing PS5 Early June (Before E3)

bitbydeath

Sony already stated repeatedly there will be no new hardware announcement until Fall 2020

Why are people keep asking this?

laughable thread please close

That was for the release, not the announcement. It was heavily speculated that PSX (this year) would be the reveal until Sony dropped out of E3 and then rumours started popping up for June period.

Airbus Jr

Banned
That was for the release, not the announcement. It was heavily speculated that PSX (this year) would be the reveal until Sony dropped out of E3 and then rumours started popping up for June period.

E3 is still the biggest gaming event in the world

Just compare the audience and viewers between E3 and psx its not even close

Make no sense for sony to annouce something big like this this year and at the same time skipping the biggest gaming event

My suggestion and safest bet is Sony will be going back at E3 2020 to annouce PS5

Last edited:

bitbydeath

E3 is still the biggest gaming event in the world

Just compare the audience and viewers between E3 and psx its not even close

Make no sense for sony to annouce something big like this this year and at the same time skipping the biggest gaming event

My suggestion and safest bet is Sony will be going back at E3 2020 to annouce PS5

PS4 was announced at their own future of PlayStation event and not E3. I’d imagine they have more flexibility in terms of what they can do when they run the show.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
PS5 is coming out WAY sooner than most people think

PS4 is dead after Q1 2020.....other than next-gen ports and lingering third party support

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
They won't do a full reveal before Microsoft blows everything about their box. I do not see the need for Sony to give them more info before them.

So i hope Sony will be quiet a little longer with only some teases before the full reveal.

nowhat

Sony will want to sell the PS5s with PSVR2 already in it (I believe it's something that's inside the system already and no separate box on what most rumors were saying anyway)
That breakout box of the current PSVR does two things: handle positional audio and convert the VR video signal back into something that can be displayed on a TV. We already know PS5 will do 3D audio natively, and with the CPU/GPU overhead compared to the current gen I'm guessing that other function will be handled easily by the console itself too. But I don't see Sony forcibly bundling PSVR2 with PS5, that just wouldn't make sense.

nowhat

They won't do a full reveal before Microsoft blows everything about their box. I do not see the need for Sony to give them more info before them.

So i hope Sony will be quiet a little longer with only some teases before the full reveal.
You honestly think that at this point of development there would be any major changes no matter what the competition does?

Makes sense to drop the PS5 bomb right before E3 take the wind out of Microsoft's sales. Still think it's coming out Spring next year.

Can you imagine how fucking good E3 2020 is going to be?? It's going to be all out war!! 💣

FranXico

Makes sense to drop the PS5 bomb right before E3 take the wind out of Microsoft's sales. Still think it's coming out Spring next year.

Can you imagine how fucking good E3 2020 is going to be?? It's going to be all out war!! 💣
That would only take any wind if the PS5 was more powerful than the premium Xbox. Not likely.

mejin

We are all curious about PS5. Whenever Sony goes public with the announcement, internet will go wild. I think they should stick to their plans whatever they are. lol

Skyr

I hope this is true + a release in Q4 19.

I'm beyond ready for the next generation.
Likely gonna get both consoles at release.
I still think that microsoft is going to do everything to 1up Sony this generation hardware wise.

Ellery

I hope this is true + a release in Q4 19.

I'm beyond ready for the next generation.
Likely gonna get both consoles at release.
I still think that microsoft is going to do everything to 1up Sony this generation hardware wise.

I think it is already confirmed that it is coming out in 2020 and not in the first half. They said something along the lines of "it is more than 1 year away" and that was early may or april iirc.

So Q4 2020 is your best bet for PS5

THE:MILKMAN

I think it is already confirmed that it is coming out in 2020 and not in the first half. They said something along the lines of "it is more than 1 year away" and that was early may or april iirc.

So Q4 2020 is your best bet for PS5

I gave up on a 2019 PS5 release but have to pull you up on the above bold. AFAIK Sony never said that it was a WSJ analyst that claimed his Sony rep at the April earnings release told him PS5 wouldn't release in the 12 month financial year. No other analyst at that gathering has confirmed this to be true AFAIK?

Also at the Sony IR Day last week Sony did state via their next-gen graph (below) that they haven't spoken about PS5 date yet. That is the only public and official thing we have.

FSwd.png

Psykodad

Banned
Good point.

PS5 full unveiling June with a launch Xmas 2019.

If they announce it in June, this will be the case.
And I don't doubt that this will happen.

PSX has been canceled, E3 has been canceled and Playstation turns 25 this year.
Supposedly FFVIIR should've released last year....
Now imagine PS5 releasing on the same day as PS1 launched with FFVIIR being a launch-title....

Last edited:

FranXico

Now imagine PS5 releasing on the same day as PS1 launched with FFVIIR being a launch-title....
And PSX would actually be the launch event in that scenario.

Psykodad

Banned
And PSX would actually be the launch event in that scenario.
Want to take it further?

That's why we haven't seen any more TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima footage yet.
They're gonna be shown at the announcement event as cross-platform launch-titles with upgraded graphics on PS5.

Edit:

And Guerrilla will break the silence on their new project, either HZD2 or a new Killzone.

Last edited:
Didn't Sony already state that the PS5 wouldn't release in 2019?

If so, the earliest we're looking at is Spring 2020. Since stuff seems to be building right now, I'm going to say:

US: Spring 2020
UK: (as above + 1 month)
JP: Autumn 2020

Autumn 2020 as the major (first region) release date feels too late now.

Last edited:

Braldryr

Banned
Update- Looks like full reveal of Death Stranding Update is coming May 29th according to Kojima with gameplay mechanics and breakdown and all that. https://www.gaminginstincts.com/death-stranding-gets-new-trailer-on-may-29

While it still remains as a mystery that what those new details could be, it’s safe to say that we’re going to get a new trailer of the game, as Kojima has teased it recently via Twitter. It’s being said that the new trailer will be fully focused on explaining gameplay mechanics and describing the genre that Death Stranding is developed in. Also, the possibility for determining a launch window for the game seems to be high.

Looks like something is going down soon? Or maybe they're just doing an game showcase. I am wondering if they will showcasing each game on different days leading up to E3 to keep the momentum going and maybe announcing an event with these title or some of them in Playable form and then revealing PS5 as well? Dunno just going on crazy speculation here. Because this Death Stranding reveal is quite a surprise for me personally. You would think Tlou 2 would go first...

Last edited:

I like this. I like this a lot.

Let's go nuts. 25th year of playstation, PS5 launches with full BC of the PSX library

ANIMAL1975

New thread worthy?:

"HELLPOINT DEV TO ANOUNCE SOMETHING BIG TODAY"
California, 5/27 _ today Hellpoint Dev will take a conference to provide some clarification in regards of the last PS5 reveal and launch rumors , has told us a friend familiar with people in the team... more at the link

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You honestly think that at this point of development there would be any major changes no matter what the competition does?

If both consoles will release late 2020, then their will be still room left to make some little changes, like CPU clockspeed, bandwitht, GPU speed. Nothing is final atm because devs do not have final hardware available at this time.

DonF

I believe that , like the ps4, the new console will be announced months prior to e3. Then people will be super hyped for e3.

xool

Sony already stated repeatedly there will be no new hardware announcement until Fall 2020

What't the source for this ?

PS4 is dead after Q1 2020.....other than next-gen ports and lingering third party support
Actually Sony doesn't think so - from their recent IR presentation : "The Critical Role of PS4 : Will remain the engine of engagement and profitability for the next three years"

We probably got a year + till PS5, and at up to 2 years before it gets up to speed on software

This is interesting - one option is that MS and Sony are playing a game "who blinks first" / cat&mouse on specs .. with them having multiple spec options for the final SKU .. the other option is that one/either/both have finalised specs that represent the best they can push out at a given price - unchangeable, and so no reason not to go first - for example Sony may be confindent that they have the best machine and not be worried about being eclipsed by a later reveal

Update- Looks like full reveal of Death Stranding Update is coming May 29th according to Kojima with gameplay mechanics and breakdown and all that.

[..]
Yeah - small bet on they want to do a partial reveal of the game for some good hype ahead of a PS5 semi reveal on June 5

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
What't the source for this ?

Actually Sony doesn't think so - from their recent IR presentation : "The Critical Role of PS4 : Will remain the engine of engagement and profitability for the next three years"

We probably got a year + till PS5, and at up to 2 years before it gets up to speed on software

This is interesting - one option is that MS and Sony are playing a game "who blinks first" / cat&mouse on specs .. with them having multiple spec options for the final SKU .. the other option is that one/either/both have finalised specs that represent the best they can push out at a given price - unchangeable, and so no reason not to go first - for example Sony may be confindent that they have the best machine and not be worried about being eclipsed by a later reveal

Yeah - small bet on they want to do a partial reveal of the game for some good hype ahead of a PS5 semi reveal on June 5

They can reveal before and still don't give the actual CPU/GPU clockspeed away or give the numbers now and say that those number can change before release. They sure (both) have more options. Cooling is crucial part of it. I can see their will be enough room to increase the clockspeed and memory bandwith based on the cooling.

Last edited:

Braldryr

Banned
The can reveal before and still don't give the actual CPU/GPU clockspeed away or give the numbers now and say that those number can change before release. They sure (both) have more options. Cooling is crucial part of it. I can see their will be enough room to increase the clockspeed and memory bandwith based on the cooling.

Update #2 TloU 2 to have trailer as well on the 29th (Take it with grail of salt) this is a rumor as opposed to the confirmed Death Stranding.

Source - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/rum...get-a-new-trailer-until-the-end-of-this-week/

While earlier today Hideo Kojima and his team hyped us by announcing a new trailer for Death Stranding on Wednesday, now a Spanish source claims that shortly after the arrival of new details for Death Stranding, Naughty Dog will premiere a new trailer for The Last of Us Part 2, unveiling the release date for the game which is set for Fall 2019.

vpance

TLoU and DS reveals before the PS5 event so they can focus on taking about the hardware, while using them as demos. Makes sense.

Psykodad

Banned
Skipping E3 and then revealing PS5 before E3 does not really make sense.

Yes, it does make sense.

80% of the games that will be shown at both MS and Sony E3 conferences will be cross-platform.

Why skip it, give MS the spotlight because 90% of their games will be on Playstation as well and then build hype for a mystery Playstation event right before E3.
Announce PS5, show the big titles running on PS5 and it's a done deal.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yes, it does make sense.

80% of the games that will be shown at both MS and Sony E3 conferences will be cross-platform.

Why skip it, give MS the spotlight because 90% of their games will be on Playstation as well and then build hype for a mystery Playstation event right before E3.
Announce PS5, show the big titles running on PS5 and it's a done deal.

I’d argue that Sony would be better off announcing after E3 or after the MS press conference. Make it the last thing anyone remembers. It worked beautifully at E3 2013. Where MS actually had a decent press conference, but Sony got the last word and made it seem like MS had a terrible conference when they had a lot of good games to show.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Update #3 - Rumor- apparently this Reddit leaker was quite precise

Source - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/rum...part-2-in-fall-and-ghost-of-tsushima-in-2020/

Death Stranding releasing this Summer (within next 3 months)

The Last of Us 2 in the Fall 2019

Ghosts of Tishimua 2020

I don't know what to think. I am expecting The Last of Us II this year but Death Stranding launching before Last of Us 2? Guess we will find out on the 29th.

Not buying death stranding will be releases within the next 3 month

Last edited:

Braldryr

Banned
Not buying death stranding releases within the next 3 month

I agree. TloU 2 makes sense and so does Ghosts - but Death Stranding is questionable. But again we never thought Sony would ever skip E3 and yet here we are. Nor did we think they would soft reveal PS5 as early as April 2016. Anything is possible at this point - expect the unexpected I guess.

Didn't Sony already state that the PS5 wouldn't release in 2019?

If so, the earliest we're looking at is Spring 2020. Since stuff seems to be building right now, I'm going to say:

US: Spring 2020
UK: (as above + 1 month)
JP: Autumn 2020

Autumn 2020 as the major (first region) release date feels too late now.

Can you imagine how fucking good E3 2020 is going to be?? It's going to be all out war!!💣
Spring 2020 for ps5 has my vote.
Sony already confirmed it's not coming out before May 2020.

It could be announced before the Xbox Two but that doesn't necessarily mean it will release before Microsoft's next-gen console. Remember that Sony typically release a new console in November so we're most likely looking at a Fall 2020 release.

Top Bottom