• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Pre-TGS 2014 SCEJA Conference Verdict: Good, Bad or Ugly?

squadr0n

The biggest difference this year was the amount of Social Dating Sims that Sony felt necessary to unveil at their press conference. The Morpheus tech demo they showed is pretty revealing (lol) about how different our cultures are. I mean would you rather see Doom 3 or up some anime girls skirt lol.

GunBR

PS4 needs a system seller in Japan. Urgent.
Besides Dragon Quest Musou/Not-Musou (a crossgen title), I don't see any of that
So how can someone call it a good conference?

And you can't compare TGS with E3 and Gamescon, because the PS4 isn't selling like shit in this regions
i don't know about you but i am sure i am seeing other JRPG beside new CH game announced (FFF:ADF) there is Disgea 5, YS, Luminous Arc infinity,
I'm talking about PS4
And you can count Ys as an JRPG, but not Disgaea. I love the franchise, but it's a huge difference between JRPG and SRPG

My opinion? Fucking awesome, because it included an absolutely monstrous game that I'm now looking forward to buying a PS4 for. That game is Persona 5.

Persona 5 instantly qualifies it as good.

Pretty much this. In all the conferences that Sony has done since revealing the PS4, nothing has excited me more than this Persona 5 announcement.

Vamphuntr

There wasn't much interesting stuff on the PS4 front. Almost every PS4 game is also on PS3 or Vita. You can play the upcoming Ys and God Eater 2 Burst on Vita and DQ Heroes and Persona 4 are already on PS3.

There were good numbers of new titles shown, not sure what everyone was expecting. The show delivery was bad of course.

Will there be another TGS conference for Sony at the show or this was it?

MSMrRound

Will there be another TGS conference for Sony at the show or this was it?

This is it. The other Sony conference is targeted at Asian markets e.g Hong Kong/Taiwan/Singapore. More on localization for these countries (usually in Chinese)

GAFfers getting hyped for this conference are just gonna crash and burn themselves into the ground. There wouldn't be major announcements (not for you guys anyway)

DNAbro

It was pretty good in all honesty. Persona 5, Disgaea 5, Ys, and Dragon Quest Heroes all sound great. Only thing that would have made this conference better would have been FFXV.

sense

Because this how they've run it for years now and have said they don't have another TGS conference?

The other September Conference was said during this TGS conference to be for the rest of Asia.

I like how you think what they did here was get rid of the fluff. No, this is what they have. They don't think this is the fluff. This is what Sony is hoping to sell PlayStation on.

considering we haven't heard about gravity rush 2, and also the other games from square enix, level 5, tales games etc... i am willing to believe we are not done with tgs announcements. maybe they are just spreading the information and not have everything drop on one day. I could turn out wrong but i think there is a good chance there is more to come.

considering we haven't heard about gravity rush 2, and also the other games from square enix, level 5, tales games etc... i am willing to believe we are not done with tgs announcements. maybe they are just spreading the information and not have everything drop on one day. I could turn out wrong but i think there is a good chance there is more to come.

during actual TGS, we will have developer interviews, gameplay footage, demo, trailer etc in each of publisher's booth. they're usually just more in depth info of games we already know about though and not a new announcement.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I would liked to have seen 1 or 2 more Sony projects and then a new RPG from Square. That would be like really my dream scenario. It's been so long since they did something new on console.

But other than that I thought it was really not bad. Obviously pacing is an issue but the announcements I will definitely take...

MSMrRound

General conference is over. There's only show floor left.

Other conference is for games being localized in Chinese/Korean only.

I liked the way they went with the 44 game format. Gave us an idea of how much they are willing to show.

Loved the Vita portion, could care less for Western games boring us, while bombs being dropped with Ys, Disgaea 5, Estival Versus, Persona 5 for PS4 were great.

Rurunaki

during actual TGS, we will have developer interviews, gameplay footage, demo, trailer etc in each of publisher's booth. they're usually just more in depth info of games we already know about though and not a new announcement.

Which leads me to think that some of these publishers did not fully showcase their whole line up. I doubt Square would show up to TGS just to show Dragon Quest Musuo and Tomb Raider. I'm thinking there will be updates from the publishers' other game titles.

Had it been paced properly with a more loose atmosphere like an E3 conference and without the top-tier Japanese corporate politeness it would have come across a whole lot better. Most of the pieces were there but they were all jumbled or turned over. The last 45min were better once they actually got to the Japanese-made stuff. Some pretty legitimate megatons for fans of Japanese games. Dragon Quest will sell roughly 4.18 PS4s per capita in Japan and Waifu Simulator VR another 3.22 for a total of 7.4. Therefore we can say 950 million PS4s sold in Japan in the next two years confirmed.

Suffered from bi-polar disorder. The pacing was terrible but if you add it up it was a TON of announces. All the stuff displayed are Sony exclusives [in Japan, if not worldwide]. The "44" format was clever. Even if 80% of them are unappealing to any one person there were at least a few things everyone would have to say they were interested in. On the other hand there was 45min of Western game re-hashing. Ick. Shu dressed to impress but did not. Kojima is a bastard.

Most importantly, there were plenty of visuals to please enjoy and we heard countless times about Sony needing to penetrate. Also first-party release dates.

Tekken games come out rarley? Tekken Tag 2 was only two years ago and Tekken 6 only just got announced. Is a Tekken game supposed to come out every year.

And yes the tekken team is big enough to work on more then one game. Tekken 6 is being worked on by the tekken team. I'm not sure why you would say otherwise.

Tekken 6 came out in 2007 in arcades amd 2009 on consoles.

We think you know nothing about Tekken son.

So wait this was a pre-TGS event right? Sort of a way to get out some of the fluff, while leaving room for other announcements at the actually show?

Not sure what all the fuss and disappointment is about, or do I have to much faith? Ahh well

Pretty disappointing, I actually fell asleep during the conference.

Still waiting for a convincing reason to buy a PS4 - don't have one yet.

Especially with them gouging Canada the way they're doing.

Wow man this came out of nowhere. Was there a Pre-TGS for Wii U and
xbone
?

Also just for confirmation, TGS is happening on sept 18th-21st right?

Could anyone also post brief coverage of what happened?

All I know is there's a Senran, God Eater, Persona 5 and Ys for PS4, was that it? Also lol, I doubt God Eater and Senran will be coming to US.

Another year of GAF expecting Japanese conference to be like Western conferences.

It's another culture. No doubt, what they shown, is a lot more enticing to the Japanese audience
Summer lessons!

Pretty disappointing, I actually fell asleep during the conference.

Still waiting for a convincing reason to buy a PS4 - don't have one yet.

Especially with them gouging Canada the way they're doing.

The conference delivery was so mechanical but then so was the audience. I didn't hear any cheer or clap. Is this how the Japanese culture is? Compared to the western conf, where everyone is clapping cheering, it was really awkward to even watch from home. There was no enthusiasm from any one.

LowParry

Ya know, there was that one moment where you see the SE logo appear, then a trailer for what you think it may be? And you're like, noooo. Nooooo. And then you see the characters on screen and you're like, "Are you fucking kidding me? New Dragon Warrior?" And we see the whole thing unfold and it was just a weird experience. Talk about a strange tease.

The Ys announcement got me pumped. Completely out of no where. I knew the moment the music kicked in and you see Adol. Man that was so good.

The conference as a whole was okay. Much better than their previous years.

klee123

I think people are going to be disappointed regardless of what Sony showed.

People crying foul about how most of the games are on PS3 and Vita, well guess what? so are the majority of western games coming out within the next year. Plenty of PS4 and X1 releases getting PS3 and 360 versions as well!

Does that take anything away from the PS4? Not for me and maybe you whiners are happy playing the PS3 versions, but if I had the choice I'd prefer to play it on a high spec machine.

I thought the conference was pretty good. Sony showed a likable lineup (I liked them, at least) of Japanese games. I was a little disappointed to find out the trailer I thought was Dragon Quest XI turned out to be a Koei Tecmo game, but if it's an action RPG as Square says it will be, maybe we'll see proper RPG elements like towns and such. Also, makes me hopeful that whenever DQXI is announced, it'll be on PS4. Which is nice, considering Heroes' graphics are pretty sleek, and that's cross-gen.

Also, we still don't know what Japan Studio is doing outside of Bloodborne and The Tomorrow Children. I was surprised that first party segment didn't include at least one Japan Studio title announcement. Maybe Gravity Rush 2 will resurface at TGS.

Agreed. Plenty of games I'll be buying if/when they get brought over.

Also, yeah, I really hope DQH is setting the stage for DQXI, even this cross-gen game looks quite nice.

It was also quite the pleasant surprise seeing Sony managed to get a whole bunch of games I didn't expect like P5 etc, getting surprise PS4 versions even if some of them are PS4/PS3 or PS4/Vita, it's a start.

salromano

Agreed. Plenty of games I'll be buying if/when they get brought over.

Also, yeah, I really hope DQH is setting the stage for DQXI, even this cross-gen game looks quite nice.

It was also quite the pleasant surprise seeing Sony managed to get a whole bunch of games I didn't expect like P5 etc, getting surprise PS4 versions even if some of them are PS4/PS3 or PS4/Vita, it's a start.

Yeah, Persona 5 was definitely the big one for me. I was happy when it was announced, but a tad disappointed I couldn't play it on PS4. Not a problem anymore.

And even outside the new console announcement, we finally got a look at the setting and protagonist. I now have a proper image in my head when I try and picture what Persona 5 is. Which is nice.

Fbh

-Persona 5 on Ps4 (plus trailer)
-DQ Heroes looks decent
-Disgaea is allways fun
-Release date for Bloodborne

As a conference it was terrible.
But considering that I was expecting the biggest announcement from TGS to be a new Ps4/Dualshock 4 color and some loli moe RPG for Vita, then as a pre TGS event this was decent

Zephyx

Good. New Ys and Persona 5 info is always good news. Disgaea 5, God Eater 2 Burst and the other Vita games announced are just cherries on top. I will be overjoyed if localization of those games are announced in the near future.

sub_o

Btw, what the hell is this game?

screenshot2014-09-02aejstx.png

Is it the prequel to Dargon Quest?

GobFather

This is it. The other Sony conference is targeted at Asian markets e.g Hong Kong/Taiwan/Singapore. More on localization for these countries (usually in Chinese)

GAFfers getting hyped for this conference are just gonna crash and burn themselves into the ground. There wouldn't be major announcements (not for you guys anyway)

xD

OT: I felt it was an okay show, I expected it since it was a pre-conference :p

The conference delivery was so mechanical but then so was the audience. I didn't hear any cheer or clap. Is this how the Japanese culture is? Compared to the western conf, where everyone is clapping cheering, it was really awkward to even watch from home. There was no enthusiasm from any one.

That's how Japanese culture is.

omg I just woke up with this.
Sony announces Berserk free for Japan.
TGS later this month.
it's happening!
Dragon's Dogma 2 !! :D
I will flip my shit

I think people are going to be disappointed regardless of what Sony showed.

People crying foul about how most of the games are on PS3 and Vita, well guess what? so are the majority of western games coming out within the next year. Plenty of PS4 and X1 releases getting PS3 and 360 versions as well!

Does that take anything away from the PS4? Not for me and maybe you whiners are happy playing the PS3 versions, but if I had the choice I'd prefer to play it on a high spec machine.

Yes, and?
The problem for Sony is that it does nothing to help PS4 sales in Japan. Why would a country whose interest in consoles is obviously waning, buy or upgrade to a PS4 when they can hold on to their PS3 or Vita for most, if not all these games?

JoJoSono

Banned
Tekken 6 came out in 2007 in arcades amd 2009 on consoles.

We think you know nothing about Tekken son.

I don't know anything? I'm not the one claiming Tekken 7 is'nt made by the Tekken team when it is.

And for someone who apprantly knows something about tekken you seem to be uninformed here.

There was a three year gap between 4 and 5 arcades releases. Three year gap between the consoles releases as well.

There is a three year gab between Tekken 5's first arcade release with Tekken 6's arcade release. Of course Dark Resurrection came out in between.

There is a 4 year gap between Tekken 6 and Tag 2, but Tekken 6 had revisions in between that as well. With only another three year gap between the console releases. So nothing's really changed and it's business as usual. Tag 2 also has a new engine. They've been pretty timely especially for an HD series in Japan.

That was you're excuse for claiming the team must not be big because they can't pump out Tekkens, but they've been putting out Tekkens pretty consistently since 4.

Even when Tekken 7 was announced, Harada still said they were also working on Tekken Vs Street Fighter. He did'nt say another team was working on TvS or that for whatever reason the tekken team wasn't making Tekken 7. There's been no indication by anyone other then you honestly.

They also are using Unreal for 7 probably to get the titles out more easily.

So do you know about Tekken? It dosen't seem like it.

The problem for Sony is that it does nothing to help PS4 sales in Japan. Why would a country whose interest in consoles is obviously waning, buy or upgrade to a PS4 when they can hold on to their PS3 or Vita for most, if not all these games?

All the multiplatform and cross gen games didn't stop the PS4 in the USA and Europe.

It's important to have the largest possible userbase, espencially in such a market like Japan.

sub_o

Chaos Rings is a mobile franchise from Square Enix for iOS. They're bringing a prequel trilogy to the Vita.

I was making fun of Square for making their game title so hard to read that SCEJ named it Chros Rings instead of Chaos Rings.

Here's the box art, no wonder SCJE is confused whether that's an R or an A.

Wow man this came out of nowhere. Was there a Pre-TGS for Wii U and
xbone
?

Also just for confirmation, TGS is happening on sept 18th-21st right?

Could anyone also post brief coverage of what happened?

All I know is there's a Senran, God Eater, Persona 5 and Ys for PS4, was that it? Also lol, I doubt God Eater and Senran will be coming to US.

Luminous Arc Infinity (Vita)
Uta no Prince-sama (working title - Vita)
Neo Romance (working title - Vita)
Deemo (Vita - also available on mobile)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (PS3/PSV/PS4)
Hot Shots Golf (working title - PS4)
God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Vita/PS4)
Ys (working title - Vita/PS4)
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (Vita/PS4)
Touhou Project Game (working title - PS4/PSV)
Bladestorm Nightmare: The Hundred Years' War (PS4)
Summer Lesson (PS4/Morpheus)
Mobile Suit Gundam (working title - PS4)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS3/PS4 - also available on PC/360/XB1)
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of Despair (PS4)
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (PS4)
Disgaea 5 (PS4)
Persona 5 (PS3/PS4)
Dragon Quest Heroes (PS3/PS4)

I think God Eater has a chance with a PS4 SKU. Oh and didn't the other SK's get localised?

Luminous Arc Infinity (Vita)
Uta no Prince-sama (working title - Vita)
Neo Romance (working title - Vita)
Deemo (Vita - also available on mobile)
One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 (PS3/PSV/PS4)
Hot Shots Golf (working title - PS4)
God Eater 2: Rage Burst (Vita/PS4)
Ys (working title - Vita/PS4)
Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (Vita/PS4)
Touhou Project Game (working title - PS4/PSV)
Bladestorm Nightmare: The Hundred Years' War (PS4)
Summer Lesson (PS4/Morpheus)
Mobile Suit Gundam (working title - PS4)
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (PS3/PS4 - also available on PC/360/XB1)
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of Despair (PS4)
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (PS4)
Disgaea 5 (PS4)
Persona 5 (PS3/PS4)
Dragon Quest Heroes (PS3/PS4)

I think God Eater has a chance with a PS4 SKU. Oh and didn't the other SK's get localised?

Thanks meat, err... I mean, mate. Really glad about God Eater, Senran and Persona 5 (PS4).

I'm normally a huge RE fan but I don't really have faith in capcom making RE:Rev 2 being that great of a game. I'll keep my expectations low, I don't want to set myself up for disappointment in the future.

Top Bottom