• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Preparing Rumored 20mp, 4k-video Capable, Large Camera Sensor Android Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
I thought I would help out wtfbbq a little bit. :) This codenamed "KHonami" phone is supposed to have a 1/1.7" large point & shoot camera sensor, same size as the Canon G15/S110/Panasonic LX5 etc. For reference, the Nokia 808 has a 1/1.2", Fuji X20 has a 2/3" and Sony RX100 has a 1" sensor.

Smile, Sony’s rumored new Android phone captures 4K video for Ultra HD TVs

Slipped snapshots offer two-sided look at Sony Xperia i1

techrafar said:
Though no new spec information was given, the pictures do give the rumored device a bit more grounding in reality.
The dedicated camera button on the Xperia i1 sets it apart from the Xperia ZU, and you can definitely see a different camera lens on the rear of the device than the one found on the Xperia Z.
It's still believed this will be a 20MP lens, which would give Sony's smartphone a leg up on the competition, at least until the oft-rumored 41MP Nokia Lumia 1020 arrives on the scene.
Earlier rumors suggested the Xperia i1 would include a 5-inch, 1080p display, 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm processor, and a Walkman audio chip, but those specs have yet to be substantiated.
It's also been suggested that the smartphone would used Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, feature 2GB RAM, include a a battery between 2,700-3,000mAh, and like the other Xperia devices, it too would be water- and dust-proof.
Sony is planning a July 4 event in France, and there's a strong chance the Xperia i1 could be the star of that show, meaning we could be adding a new branch to the Xperia family tree very soon.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I'm convinced Android OEMs are out of meaningful upgrades.

Or at least running low. That being said, standardizing water/dust proofing would be great, and bumping camera specs would also be a boon.

I think having a phone that hovered in front/around you at all times and just knew when it was wanted would be the next meaningful upgrade.

liquidtmd

Banned
Considering the quite good mid-range, mildly powered 4.6inch 720p screened Xperia SP I've just got for my wife has a battery of around 2300mah, I don't think 2700-3000 is going to be sufficient for this

Akira

I thought the rumor was 2/3 inch sensor? This is on the top of my wish list for its purported camera specs and Triluminos screen. It's great how Sony has addressed criticisms about their screens and camera.

If there's one thing you can say about Sony, it's that they make it easy to spot their phones. Boring rectangular design? Check. No redeeming qualities whatsoever? Check. Looks mid range? Check.

Somnid

Or at least running low. That being said, standardizing water/dust proofing would be great, and bumping camera specs would also be a boon.

I think having a phone that hovered in front/around you at all times and just knew when it was wanted would be the next meaningful upgrade.

Waterproofing I do agree is pretty nice. But Jesus, 4K video? 2GB of RAM? Most people will wear out their contract and never have any reason to have either. Not to mention gargantuan phone syndrome.

Don't you mean every phone maker?

Yeah, in general you're probably right. The last incredible phone was probably the iPhone 4.

tino

Banned
tino: Aren't you an HTC guy? :p

Only a HTC guy with the HD2, so really only a "hackabout things" guy. I am only doing Sony propaganda for this specific phone.
KuGsj.gif

JaggedSac

Should be an interesting year for good camera phones. I'm personally grabbing the EOS when it is released next month.

vivftp

God damn it Sony, cant you just make a proper flagship phone that has all your goodies?

Cross posting from the Z/ZL thread. Here are the rumored specs of Honami taken from info gathered from GAF, esato forums and XDA forums

S800 processor at 2.2 - 2.3 GHz
Adreno 330 graphics
2GB RAM
16/32 GB internal memory with mico SD expansion
5" 1080p dislpay with triluminos tech. Supposedly with constrast ratio above 2000:1
X-reality engine
20MP 2/3" Exmor RS sensor, Sony G lens, mobile BIONZ processor and clip-on lenses
Camera shutter button
Camera has steadyshot tech, and can go up to ISO 12800
3000 mAh battery - Sony expects battery life to measured in days, rather than hours
Metal + glass body
NFC and LTE
IP58 dust/water resistance + shock resistance rating
Approx 9-10mm thick
Stereo speakers
S-Master MX audio
IR blaster
Headphone port that does not require flap
Magnetic charging dock connector
Lanyard hole

it's huge though, so....PASS.

It is rumored that there will be a smaller variant of Honami that will arrive Q1 2014. It'll have all the same goodies in a far smaller package with a screen anywhere from 4 - 4.3". This should be VERY appealing to iPhone users looking to switch.

I thought the rumor was 2/3 inch sensor? This is on the top of my wish list for its purported camera specs and Triluminos screen. It's great how Sony has addressed criticisms about their screens and camera.

The latest rumors are still saying a 2/3" sensor.

Specs looks awesome, but I NEED easily accessible headphones port...

As zomg mentioned, the headphone port is completely uncovered just like on the Xperia Z Ultra.

Zhuk86

Banned
Still more excited for the new Lumia Pureview being announced in 2 weeks, it will be the must have phone to own for camera enthusiasts.

vivftp

Still more excited for the new Lumia Pureview being announced in 2 weeks, it will be the must have phone to own for camera enthusiasts.

I think the new Pureview will have some stiff competition from Honami in the camera department.

I'll admit I've only glanced at the new Pureview here so I have to ask is the camera exactly the same as was found in the 808? Better? Worse?

tino

Banned
1.) How big is the screen?
2.) Yay, another phone that won't come to FUCKING VERIZON!

If this phone gets pick up by the US carriers (say, 299 on contract with ATT), it will be the milestore device that signal the end of the Points&Shoot era.

There is no point to buy a camera unless its at least a mirrorless camera.

vivftp

Sounds rad. Would it be similar thickness to iPhone 4S? Phone with a camera like that would be mad :D

A quick google search shows the iPhone 4S was 9.3mm, and the current rumors for Honami are saying 9mm so yep!

Supposedly Honami also has no bump on the back like other phones with larger sensors like the new Pureview. That'll make it far more elegant in appearance and increase its appeal to the mainstream crowd.

If this phone gets pick up by the US carriers (say, 299 on contract with ATT), it will be the milestore device that signal the end of the Points&Shoot era.

There is no point to buy a camera unless its at least a mirrorless camera.

Yea, I'm still intrigued by this whole switchable lens thing that's being talked about. I wonder if it'll just be a couple of random accessories Sony throws out and we'll never see them again after Honami, or if this is the beginning of an entirely new line of lenses meant for mobiles?

Akira

Only a HTC guy with the HD2, so really only a "hackabout things" guy. I am only doing Sony propaganda for this specific phone.
KuGsj.gif

Just curious why this phone though. You were quite vocal about the Z being an average phone with "useless" water resistance feature. Now it's becoming a trademark feature of Xperia flagships and you even have Samsung releasing the S4 Active. Well I guess it's like the Xperia Z but without its biggest problems. Anyway I wish they would go the ZL bezel route with the water resistance features of the Z though.

vivftp

Just curious why this phone though. You were quite vocal about the Z being an average phone with "useless" water resistance feature. Now it's becoming a trademark feature of Xperia flagships and you even have Samsung releasing the S4 Active. Well I guess it's like the Xperia Z but without its biggest problems. Anyway I wish they would go the ZL bezel route with the water resistance features of the Z though.

zomg can correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall him mentioning once that we won't be seeing a flagship from Sony with a small bezel like the ZL until 2014

I wouldn't mind the smaller bezel too, but when I weigh that against all the goodies in this beast, any size worries I may have just slip away.

What I REALLY wish they did do though was make a Honami variant for all sizes. By that I mean a 4-4.3", 5" and 6.4" variant. All the exact same specs, just larger sizes and battery capacities. I would LOVE to get the Z Ultra, but I want the specs of Honami in there.

Famassu

Lol, as if a phone could ever record worthwhile 4k, it can hardly do decent 1080p or even 720p (as far as big screens go, the picture looks decent on the phones but not when blown up to a big screen).

Lol, as if a phone could ever record worthwhile 4k, it can hardly do decent 1080p or even 720p (as far as big screens go, the picture looks decent on the phones but not when blown up to a big screen).

You need to keep up with your tech, the latest round of android cellphones do fantastic 1080p video.

tino

Banned

A 2/3" sensor receives 4 times more light than a 1/3" sensor, which is the size of the sensor used by iPhone/HTC One/Nokia 920. The most important deciding factor for better image quality IMO is not the lens, or the on-camera processing chip, but the size of the sensor. I can find a $30 30-year old Vivitar 50mm lens ,put in on a 12 year old D1X and it can handily put out better looking picture than a P&S of today. Why? Larger sensor.

Go to flickr and search "A keyword + a phone model" and then search the same keyword + "Canon S110". You can see the difference yourself.

A 2/3" sensor receives 4 times more light than a 1/3" sensor, which is the size of the sensor used by iPhone/HTC One/Nokia 920. The most important deciding factor for better image quality IMO is not the lens, or the on-camera processing chip, but the size of the sensor. I can find a $30 30-year old Vivitar 50mm lens ,put in on a 12 year old D1X and it can handily put out better looking picture than a P&S of today. Why? Larger sensor.

Go to flickr and search "A keyword + a phone model" and then search the same keyword + "Canon S110". You can see the difference yourself.

I really think that this is something Sony have understood better than other companies, the RX100 pretty much destroys the rest of the advanced compact field and forced everyone else to drastically cut their prices, worse still for them, I have been told that the 20MP 1" type sensor is not for sale at any price, not even to Nikon, their long time sensor partner. Even worse is that Sony just released the RX100mk2 for a higher price and it is selling out of it's first production run on pre-orders alone and now they are decimating the G1X and Coolpix A because of the smaller package.

I think Sony want to achieve the same results in the smartphone sector now, I don't believe the 2/3" sensor that will go into the i1 will be for sale at any price to competitors, so anyone looking for a half decent camera experience on Android will have to buy an Xperia.

Personally I'm looking forward to the L version of this phone, I've seen a couple of pictures of it and it has ZL style bezels while nixing the waterproofing I think (again like the ZL). I'll probably wait for the i3 which will come next year though, it will be smaller and have a better battery, plus I just got the ZL which is pretty fucking awesome after 4.2.2 as it fixes a bunch of issues, especially with the camera. I hope Sony port the new image processing engine and camera app to the Z/ZL though as it gets great results on the leaked/ported ROM running on the Z.

vivftp

Personally I'm looking forward to the L version of this phone, I've seen a couple of pictures of it and it has ZL style bezels while nixing the waterproofing I think (again like the ZL). I'll probably wait for the i3 which will come next year though, it will be smaller and have a better battery, plus I just got the ZL which is pretty fucking awesome after 4.2.2 as it fixes a bunch of issues, especially with the camera. I hope Sony port the new image processing engine and camera app to the Z/ZL though as it gets great results on the leaked/ported ROM running on the Z.

Oooh, so wait is there going to be an "L" version of Honami, or are you referring to the 2014 flagship which will have improvements across the board including a reduction in size?

If you are referring to an L version of Honami, any idea when it's due?

tino

Banned
I really think that this is something Sony have understood better than other companies, the RX100 pretty much destroys the rest of the advanced compact field and forced everyone else to drastically cut their prices, worse still for them, I have been told that the 20MP 1" type sensor is not for sale at any price, not even to Nikon, their long time sensor partner. Even worse is that Sony just released the RX100mk2 for a higher price and it is selling out of it's first production run on pre-orders alone and now they are decimating the G1X and Coolpix A because of the smaller package.

I think Sony want to achieve the same results in the smartphone sector now, I don't believe the 2/3" sensor that will go into the i1 will be for sale at any price to competitors, so anyone looking for a half decent camera experience on Android will have to buy an Xperia.

Nowadays most camera makers need to make their own sensor if they want to have competitive product in the premuim P&S segment anyway.

Canon started making their own 1/1.7" sensor after using Sony for many years.
Fuji special order its own 2/3" sensor for X20 and XF1.
Panasonic make its own for the LX7, which is actually slightly smaller than 1/1.7". Thats why LX7 list price depreciate faster than a rock.

Thats the major players. All other brands use Sony 1/1.7" sensor.

Nikon has access to a 1" sensor (by an American fab), but I doubt they will put it in a P&S.

Poor Panasonic, spent years of money and resource to get into the P&S business. Too bad their phones are not selling. Look forward to Sony and Samsung take over their P&S market wholesell.

vivftp

sound really awesome. Perfect timing to upgrade my phone - glad I hold for Z/ZL.

Same here. I have friends who got the ZL and one who got the Z despite me telling them about Honami. They all now have regrets, despite the phones they already have being very good on their own.

Hmm, I wonder how likely it is that Sony will put a 1" sensor into the 2014 flagship.

Also, I suppose the possibility of optical zoom is out for Honami due to its relative thin body? I guess that's what the additional lenses are meant to cover. I dunno what to expect there, but I can imagine a macro, wide angle, fish-eye and zoom lens being part of that lineup.

Oooh, so wait is there going to be an "L" version of Honami, or are you referring to the 2014 flagship which will have improvements across the board including a reduction in size?

If you are referring to an L version of Honami, any idea when it's due?

I have seen pictures of a prototype L version, but it loses the waterproofing and possibly even the large sensor (reverting to a 13MP 1/3" like the Z) but gaining S800 and an AH-IPS screen and a larger battery (~3300mAh).

Not sure when or even if it will be released. I don't think the design is as good as the ZL though.

Why did Sony take the flash out of the Xperia Z Ultra?

I'm looking for a new phone soon, and so far this phone seems like the complete package, but I'd really like something larger than 5"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom