• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Q3 FY16 Results

noobie

Banned
How does that compare to this time last year?
Code:
------------------------------------------------
|              |    2016      |      2017     |
|  Sell - In   |   37.7       |      57.1     |
|  Sell - Thru |   35.9       |      53.4     |
|  In Channel  |   1.8        |      3.7      |

Last Year
37.7 million shipped (sell-in) vs 35.9 million sold to customer on Jan 2016
This Year
57.1 million shipped (sell-in) vs 53.4 million sold to customer on Jan 2017

so 1.8 million in channel vs current 3.7 million in channel

Toni

I am surprised nobody talked about Apple quarterly results lol

Exactly.

Apple just had their best quarter ever with 78 billion made in revenue.

They are the actual behemoths here and dwarf Samsung's quaterly earnings.

That Samsung/Sony comparisson had me shook, no lie lol

Samsung's #1 direct competitor is by far and away bigger than Samsung its not even a laughing matter anymore.

viHuGi

Banned
Code:
|              |    2016      |      2017     |
|  Sell - In   |   37.7       |      57.1     |
|  Sell - Thru |   35.9       |      53.4     |
|  In Channel  |   1.8        |      3.7      |

Last Year
37.7 million shipped (sell-in) vs 35.9 million sold to customer on Jan 2016
This Year
57.1 million shipped (sell-in) vs 53.4 million sold to customer on Jan 2017

so 1.8 million in channel vs current 3.7 million in channel

Yet Pro is sold out across Europe and Japan lol

EGM1966

Yet Pro is sold out across Europe and Japan lol

Presumably they figured higher percentage of Slim vs Pro than market demand showed resulting in out of stock for Pro.

Playing artificial scarcity for a high end model doesn't really make sense so I figure this was likely scenario.

They'll adjust Slim/Pro manufacturing and splits going forward (of course retailers might also have misjudged the split and Sony would be looking at their orders too as a guide).

Kuosi

I had no idea PSN was bigger than Steam (and by a large margin). Steam represents 75% of the global market for digital PC sales.

edit: To be fair to Steam, $1B on PSN can likely be accounted to PS+ subscription costs.

Where did you pick 75% for global market? I mean Overwatch alone did 600m, that's #5 on the list
3149139-superdata1.jpg

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
I had no idea PSN was bigger than Steam (and by a large margin). Steam represents 75% of the global market for digital PC sales.

edit: To be fair to Steam, $1B on PSN can likely be accounted to PS+ subscription costs.

The biggest PC gaming company is Tecent ,most of PC gaming revenue from F2P

Trago

PS4 could manage this feat and becomes 2nd best selling console in history behind PS2.

Definitely. There's no sign of things slowing down. If Sony keeps getting those third party marketing deals, along with future price drops, it's a done deal I think.

I'm thinking 100 mil in the next three years, or by the time PS5 is announced. Hell, probably more than that.

I wonder if PS4 can still get another slim revision. how low can PS4 price go? with HDD required, can it go as low as $150? or maybe $200 is the lowest it can go?

Fredrik

Holly shit is up there with Wii how in hell wtf Playstation usually has better legs but Wii was a Strom back in the day, based of retail feedback I've gathered around here Switch is going the same way as Wii but probably less fast.
Heh take it easy now, Wii was a phenomenon which arrived at the perfect time, I don't see how Switch could possibly get those numbers. I'm hyped for it but honestly what is the big sales pitch for Switch for the mainstream? Motion gaming? Gaming in the bathroom and bed? Console games on the go? Local multiplayer? Haven't we seen that before?

Chobel

Sony stuffed the shit out of the channel, but even with that they still didn't revise down their forecast?

ViciousDS

Banned
from what that chart shows......it seems their sellphones are still a huge seller and profiteer for Sony. I hope they do keep making phones.....from what I've heard they are fantastic

edit: I'm totally leaving that as sellphones, and not cellphones

Mikey Jr.

Man, ps5 MUST have 100% bc with ps4 or they are essentially telling consumers "hey, all your games don't work anymore, go ahead and try the other guys."

BC early into a generation is huge. They need it to prevent people switching.

Boke1879

They'll hit their 60 million target by March 31st easily. And I believe Horizon is going to sell quite a few consoles.

pswii60

Man, ps5 MUST have 100% bc with ps4 or they are essentially telling consumers "hey, all your games don't work anymore, go ahead and try the other guys."

You could have said that about PS4?

wapplew

Switching for what? Sony first party to Halo, Gears? Lots of Japanese games to almost no Japanese games? All the western thrid party games to almost no western third party?
I see no reason to switch personally, with or without BC.

Holly shit is up there with Wii how in hell wtf Playstation usually has better legs but Wii was a Strom back in the day, based of retail feedback I've gathered around here Switch is going the same way as Wii but probably less fast.

No way in hell does the Switch do anything close to the Wii.

I hope you're not serious about this comparison. Samsung is a behemoth and Sony isn't simply in the same league because it's mainly an entertainment/tech focused company while Samsung is building ships, military jets, tanks, the world most famous and largest skyscrapers, the worlds leading smartphone and chip producer, insurance company etc. etc. etc. Of course Sony looks like a dwarf next to it.

I dunno if it was you but in a Sony financials thread a year ago or so someone was arguing with me why I was comparing Sony with Samsung. But I said I was around when Sony were bigger than Samsung around 10-15 years ago. Back then Sony had bigger profits/revenue than Samsung.

But in the last 10 years Sony has fallen dramatically whilst Samsung has seen an incredible rise.

What I'm trying to point out is, Sony's financial results might seem good in isolation but in the bigger picture and compared to yesteryear, they're poor and very small fry. They are not out of the woods yet, over-reliance on PS is precarious.

Wollan

You could have said that about PS4?
Digital has taken off greatly this generation, it will be an ecosystem focus going forward and with that BC becomes much more important.
The last generation switch was the last time no-BC would have been tolerated by the masses.

People always say this crap. No-one actually cares about BC its been proven time and again.

wapplew

Digital has taken off greatly this generation, it will be an ecosystem focus going forward and with that BC becomes much more important.

I need receipton this one. Any data show us digital take off means BC become bigger factor?
Cause 99% of my PS3 library was digital except 2 retail copy I bought along with the console and I have close to zero desire for BC.

Kill3r7

People always say this crap. No-one actually cares about BC its been proven time and again.

Agreed in principle but I do think as digital purchases increase the expectation is there for the general public. That said, most people are playing the latest and greatest games and by and large ignoring older games not named GTAV or Minecraft.

PSN includes subscriptions, something that Valve doesn't get (......yet).

Ditto. PS+ has become a huge source of revenue for Sony.

Wollan

I need receipton this one. Any data show us digital take off means BC become bigger factor?
Budgets are becoming (already is) bigger limiting factors than technology these days. You need a massive market of users at all times, transition times before dropping support for old consoles will become longer (some developers might not end PS4 support w/ports before ~2025).

Theonik

Sony's approach to BC with PS4 including PS1 games they could have easily carried over from PSN as they did with Vita, has been laughable. I don't think digital improves the chances of BC at all. If anything Sony can just go 'lol just buy it again' and keep releasing 'remasters' of stuff. Digital makes this easier because you can't exactly sell your old games so you will have to replace them eventually.

jeffram

Just think PS4 slim is already pretty cheap to make & AMD is going to 7nm next year & PS4 & PS4 Pro will probably get even cheaper to manufacturer redesigns before they hit 100 million & at some point a PS4 STB with no Blu-ray drive could hit the market in the $99 - $149 price range & continue to rake in digital revenue.
If AMD is hitting 7nm next year.. why would Microsoft launch Scorpio this year? 7nm would hugely change what is possible for $400-$500. A new PlayStation would run circles around Scorpio in 2018,

Top Bottom